Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:23:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My gut feeling tells me MIXERCOIN is a scam  (Read 207 times)
LoyceMobile (OP)

Activity: 1655
Merit: 687

LoyceV on the road. Or couch.

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2018, 07:42:32 PM

Disclaimer
I'm using my alt, so the "you work for the competition"-argument can't be used. I've used and/or tested several mixers, it's not as if I suspect all of them to be scammers.
This is not a scam accusation (yet), I have no evidence that anyone got scammed (yet). I think it's worth discussing though.

My gut feeling
MIXERCOIN (username: mixercoin) gives me the same feeling BITMIXCOIN.IO (Trust: -64: -6 / +0) did a year ago. They claimed to own 2000+ Bitcoin, but couldn't prove it. Eventually, that mixer pulled an exit scam and stole well over 16 Bitcoin before their webhost took them down.

Serious questions are evaded
MIXERCOIN follows a similar pattern: claiming to have very high (in this case even unlimited) funds, but refusing to sign a message. This is how they respond to valid concerns:
•   that maximum amount  of the mixing has not limit
That's only possible if you own 50% of all bitcoins. I don't believe that, so it's not possible.
Can you at least sign a message to prove ownership of substantial funds?
We own enough bitcoins. Question to you. Do you have money?

Playing dumb
They pretend not to know how to prove ownership of funds.
Laughing at valid concerns is what I expect from a scammer, not from a legit business:
So you're saying you run a mixer but don't know how to sign a message?
Thats the dumbest thing for a mixing service who didnt even know how a sign message works. Shocked
So far, only I have a smile when I hear that 0.01 bitcoin are a large amount
The best proof is not words but the result.  Do  mix on 0.01 btc or  too much for you?
Even if mixing a small amount would work, that doesn't prove it's not going to be a selective or exit scam.

Spam
They're spamming many local boards with Google Translated posts, which isn't allowed. I've reported some of the posts, and some are gone already, so I've archived it.

The problem
It can't be proven until they scam someone. Any Newbie that asks for a no collateral loan, quickly gets tagged, because most of them are scammers. Meanwhile, anyone can promote their mixer, even though many of them are owned by scammers.
BITMIXCOIN got tagged with red trust after they scammed 16 Bitcoin, and the victim sent me his Letter of Guarantee. MIXERCOIN doesn't even have a Letter of Guarantee, so there will never be any conclusive evidence.
So far, I haven't tagged anyone based on speculation, and I don't want to start that now. On the other hand, I'd hate to see another scam mixer make an innocent victim if that can be prevented.

LoyceV on the road Advertise here for LN Don't deal with this account (exception)
Advertise here for LN Tip my kids Exchange LN (20 coins). 1% fee. No KYC <€50/month
My useful topics: Meritt & Trust & Moreee Art Advertise here for LN Foru[url=https://bitcointalk.org/m

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 07:53:54 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2018, 08:23:55 PM by AdolfinWolf

I've stumbled across this mixer earlier today as well, and was pretty astonished as to why someone would make such a product.

I have a feeling this is probably just some kiddie playing around with a script that he bought for a couple hundred bucks.
The script doesn't support nominals and defaults at 0.001, doesn't recognize bech adresses, the FAQ is written in gibberish and stuff like "YOU BITCOIN ADRESS" are all indicators that this mixer really shouldn't be taken seriously.

MIXERCOIN follows a similar pattern: claiming to have very high (in this case even unlimited (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5046051.msg46658073#msg46658073)) funds, but refusing to sign a message. This is how they respond to valid concerns
Their script/template allows you to mix over 100k BTC. That fact alone makes this site completely untrustworthy.

I don't think anyone has used their mixer yet, (rightfully so!) so i guess i'll try them out with a really small amount later today to see what's up.
Looks like the minimum amount to mix is 0.01BTC, I'd rather not waste that much on a joke.

The mixing process makes it more difficult for them to reveal your digital imprint (your addresses and balances) and therefore protects against third party influence on your personal life.
Yet they route their traffic through cloudflare? -- https://who.is/whois/mixercoin.co

I'm not exactly an expert on this, but i'm pretty sure that isn't improving user-privacy & anonimity, considering the honeypot Cloudflare is/could be.

Also, go to their api docs, https://mixercoin.co/service/api/v1/docs (Those too, are pretty comprehensible.. My god.  Cool)
right there it says
All rights reserved Bitcoin-Mixer © 2015
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So much for the "This site has been made by skilled programmers blah blah blah." (as per their FAQ) They're using some sort of script from goddamn 2015.

marlboroza
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 2270

View Profile
October 12, 2018, 03:33:32 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2018, 03:47:59 PM by marlboroza

Disclaimer
I'm using my alt, so the "you work for the competition"-argument can't be used.
You work for competition so you shouldn't even think to open scam accusation against other tumblers or tag them, besides, your disclaimer doesn't make much sense because it is still you  Roll Eyes
claiming to have very high  funds, but refusing to sign a message
Isn't this one big red flag?

Anyway, tagged for now.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16596

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2018, 09:14:41 AM

You work for competition so you shouldn't even think to open scam accusation against other tumblers or tag them, besides, your disclaimer doesn't make much sense because it is still you  Roll Eyes
You got me Cheesy Well, I can't change being me.

claiming to have very high  funds, but refusing to sign a message
Isn't this one big red flag?
Yes it is.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: