Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 01:20:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [VIDEO] Dorian S. Nakamoto clears his name in interview with AP  (Read 5244 times)
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:16:18 PM

what are the chance of Satoshi actually know Dorian ..... hence use his name?

I mean if Dorian was working on Quotron for Citigroup and then a project for defense department....etc Satoshi could have been his colleague
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:19:35 PM

How can some prick reporters be so mean to put that old man to distress?!
If is he or isn't is totally irrelevant, Bitcoin is P2P belongs to nobody and nobody has control over it, not even Satoshi Nakamoto.

PS: Believe me, I know how stressful a shitty dox attempt can be.  Angry

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:22:31 PM

I mean if Dorian was working on Quotron for Citigroup and then a project for defense department....etc Satoshi could have been his colleague

Possible, but why unless they were both in it at first and then Satoshi pulled back?

Also, if indeed this is the real Satoshi, wouldn't he have made plans in order to secure his way of life?

And I don't mean spending any of the first coins created, he could have easily made more coins by mining let's say (since he knows his creation is taking off) and live a better and more private life.

On the other hand, DPR was arrested in an appartment which he shared with roommates. And he did own a fair amount of cash.....

That being said, I doubt anybody will find out who Satoshi really is unless he decides to come out.

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:30:02 PM

Possible, but why unless they were both in it at first and then Satoshi pulled back?

Also, if indeed this is the real Satoshi, wouldn't he have made plans in order to secure his way of life?

And I don't mean spending any of the first coins created, he could have easily made more coins by mining let's say (since he knows his creation is taking off) and live a better and more private life.

On the other hand, DPR was arrested in an appartment which he shared with roommates. And he did own a fair amount of cash.....

That being said, I doubt anybody will find out who Satoshi really is unless he decides to come out.

What? read what is said again. Its just the name Satoshi decided to use.... Infact hes most likely not even Asian.
el_Tico

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

"Fly you fools"

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:44:46 PM

We need  a therapist/ analyst who can tell whether he's lying or not.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:10:12 PM

I can't believe all this idiotic talk!!!

So, what people believe is that Satoshi went to every length to hide his identity, but used his real name!!!! Jesus!!

What do you people have inside your head?  Roll Eyes
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 06:12:11 PM

So, what people believe is that Satoshi went to every length to hide his identity, but used his real name!!!! Jesus!!

They're saying it's the classical double hat trick. That would be a mistake on the internet, a bad one.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:14:03 PM

They're saying it's the classical double hat trick. That would be a mistake on the internet, a bad one.

What's that trick?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:39:23 PM

Many people who have a general interest in privacy do some simple stuff to protect it, but don't go overboard since it is damn difficult and tedious to be rigorous in this way.  Trying to put myself in 'the real Satoshi's situation working on a distributed crypto-currency solution (which was not a completely novel thing) back in the mid 2000s, I could imagine hoping that the solution would take off and anticipating it as a distant possibility, but not really expecting it.  Using something other than one's formal legal name would be plenty good for general privacy against google-fu masters, and most people who have been paying attention recognize the difficulty in achieving privacy against the internal security apparatus of the U.S. and won't bother to even attempt it.

It is also worth considering that just as Gavin knows relatively little about Satoshi, Satoshi probably knows relatively little about Gavin.  I could imagine him being a bit miffed about the CIA meeting (though I didn't consider it a real big deal myself.)  If Dorian is Satoshi, then he was also dealing with cancer and a stroke and he would certainly be analytical enough to recognize that the snowball had already started rolling down the hill by 2011 and there was little he could do to influence it even if he wished to.  That would be sufficient to explain both why he would walk away, and also why he didn't really care that much about money which he didn't really need to maintain the lifestyle which probably suited him fine.

Some people can derive enough pleasure from an achievement such as Bitcoin without needing or desiring personal credit.  Just as some people are content driving an old Toyota and would actually prefer it to a new Porche.  This may be hard for some people, and especially younger people, to understand but I can assure the reader that people such as this exist.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:26:16 PM

You can clearly see the pressure the poor man is under.  So sad to see this happen to such a great man. Sad

Leah McGrath Goodman was apparently banned from entering the UK for 2 years as part of an exclusion order against her, (similar to what recently happened to Mike Tyson a few months ago). Judging from this recent story of hers on Satoshi, the ban was probably due to the UK border control being aware of her sleazy irresponsible reporting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leah-mcgrath-goodman/david-miranda-uk-detention_b_3844480.html

Wow, you make a pretty baseless assumption there. Did you even read the article you just linked to?
Warren

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:54:56 PM

What do you people have inside your head?  Roll Eyes

Many people who have a general interest in privacy do some simple stuff to protect it, but don't go overboard since it is damn difficult and tedious to be rigorous in this way.  Trying to put myself in 'the real Satoshi's situation working on a distributed crypto-currency solution (which was not a completely novel thing) back in the mid 2000s, I could imagine hoping that the solution would take off and anticipating it as a distant possibility, but not really expecting it.  Using something other than one's formal legal name would be plenty good for general privacy against google-fu masters, and most people who have been paying attention recognize the difficulty in achieving privacy against the internal security apparatus of the U.S. and won't bother to even attempt it.

It is also worth considering that just as Gavin knows relatively little about Satoshi, Satoshi probably knows relatively little about Gavin.  I could imagine him being a bit miffed about the CIA meeting (though I didn't consider it a real big deal myself.)  If Dorian is Satoshi, then he was also dealing with cancer and a stroke and he would certainly be analytical enough to recognize that the snowball had already started rolling down the hill by 2011 and there was little he could do to influence it even if he wished to.  That would be sufficient to explain both why he would walk away, and also why he didn't really care that much about money which he didn't really need to maintain the lifestyle which probably suited him fine.

Some people can derive enough pleasure from an achievement such as Bitcoin without needing or desiring personal credit.  Just as some people are content driving an old Toyota and would actually prefer it to a new Porche.  This may be hard for some people, and especially younger people, to understand but I can assure the reader that people such as this exist.

This ^^^ exactly.

It's easy for everyone to comment on "how stupid it would have been to use his real last name if he wanted privacy", but this is in hind sight!

Going back a few years Bitcoin was just an idea and a hobby project. There was no reason for Satoshi to worry about his privacy until the time people started to use Bitcoin for things that would draw attention, like donating to Wikileaks for example. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2216.msg29280#msg29280  

This was also the time he decided to leave the forum and Bitcoin behind because he knew it was going to get a lot of unwanted attention from people he didn't want to deal with, like that sleazy reporter who decided to hang him out.  Angry
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:00:51 PM

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills !!!

DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:05:01 AM

It's easy for everyone to comment on "how stupid it would have been to use his real last name if he wanted privacy", but this is in hind sight!

There is a lot of evidence that Satoshi went through great lengths to hide his identity from day zero.  The email address (throw away) on the white paper and p2p2 foundation have never been used (or at least found to be used) for anything else either before or after the release of the paper.  He used TOR likely from the very first day.  As Gavin pointed out he never talked about himself.  The same is true if you look at this posting history going back to the first announcement.  Nothing that would time his online identity to any physical location.  Nothing about local events, the weather, his past work, his experiences.   If he is from the west coast of the US, he delayed posting to newsgroups and forums to give the indication he was in another time zone.  If he is an American he chose a London newspaper headline rather than numerous US ones to choose from.

Pretty much everything points to a purpose driven man and the purpose was to remain private.  While it may be possible he did all that and still released the paper with his own name it would seem to be completely out of character.  
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:28:29 AM

If I could pick someone to be the founder of bitcoin, this guy would be it. He is a humble sweet old guy with a penchant for collecting model trains and his dad was a Buddhist priest. So many people involved in bitcoin are pricks, so for the good of the currency, I would be happy if it turns out that this is the guy in question and not someone else.

I say someone should talk to him, and even if he isn't the real Satoshi, we ask him to take the credit for it, and we will adopt him as the founder. In exchange we can all chip in and buy him whatever supplies he needs to keep working on his model railroad.

It think it's def. not him but totally agree, Dorian seems like a righteous dude :-)

Warren

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:51:39 AM

There is a lot of evidence that Satoshi went through great lengths to hide his identity from day zero.  The email address (throw away) on the white paper and p2p2 foundation have never been used (or at least found to be used) for anything else either before or after the release of the paper.  He used TOR likely from the very first day.  As Gavin pointed out he never talked about himself.  The same is true if you look at this posting history going back to the first announcement.  Nothing that would time his online identity to any physical location.  Nothing about local events, the weather, his past work, his experiences.   If he is from the west coast of the US, he delayed posting to newsgroups and forums to give the indication he was in another time zone.  If he is an American he chose a London newspaper headline rather than numerous US ones to choose from.

Pretty much everything points to a purpose driven man and the purpose was to remain private.  While it may be possible he did all that and still released the paper with his own name it would seem to be completely out of character.

I'm not trying to start an argument as I agree that Satoshi wanted to stay private, but let's just break down the evidence you pointed out:

The email address (throw away) on the white paper and p2p2 foundation have never been used (or at least found to be used) for anything else either before or after the release of the paper.

If you were publishing something like the Bitcoin white paper online, would you use your normal personal email address or set-up a new one specifically for that?

He used TOR likely from the very first day.

Do we know this for a fact? Did theymos confirm that from Satoshi's logins to the forum, or how do we know?

I have seen quotes that Satoshi even mined on Tor, but I have never seen any evidence? Satoshi had already left (or was just about to) by the time I joined the forum and I honestly haven't read all his posts, did he say this himself at some point or what are the sources for this?

As Gavin pointed out he never talked about himself.  The same is true if you look at this posting history going back to the first announcement.  Nothing that would time his online identity to any physical location.  Nothing about local events, the weather, his past work, his experiences.

I normally don't do that either, and the same is true for a lot of people. I don't do it here or on other online forums I engage in, not even those that I have been a member of for more than a decade. I think a lot of people that have been online since the early to mid-90s and are not part of "the Facebook generation" prefer to only share their private lives with people in the real world rather than with online friends.

If he is from the west coast of the US, he delayed posting to newsgroups and forums to give the indication he was in another time zone.

We can speculate that the timing of his postings was to indicate he was in another time zone, but perhaps it was just because he worked odd hours? Take me as an example, I'm here posting now but I bet if you guessed my time zone based on that it would be wrong. I'm heading off to bed soon though!  Wink

If he is an American he chose a London newspaper headline rather than numerous US ones to choose from.

Maybe he just preferred the headline from The Times, a +200-year old respected newspaper?

I agree that there is no question he wanted to keep a low profile and remain private, but maybe those feelings didn't really come into play until after he started to interact with others online about the Bitcoin project?
DaFockBro

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:17:40 AM

His own children were also quoted saying he bought model train parts from England.  Not unlikely that he might read a british newspaper every now and then too.

He really looks like he's hiding something/lying in this video.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:24:24 AM

Does it REALLY matter at this point?

Look, I don't think Dorian is The One, but if he is, then he's just about what I thought he would be like: A badass. And since there's really no reason to believe its Dorian above anyone else, so long as he doesn't want to reveal anything, for all intents and purposes he's still anonymous. So, really nothing has changed, no matter how you look at it.

DaFockBro

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:29:15 AM

I love how everyone's like "aww, poor guy, I feel so bad for him, what awful treatment, this is such an outrage!"

It must be so sooo terrible being a legendary samurai dude who changed the world and amassed an epic fortune in the process.

He's a grown-ass man and a genius I'm sure he can handle some media attention.
Warren

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:34:54 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 05:45:42 AM by Warren

Look, I don't think Dorian is The One, but if he is, then he's just about what I thought he would be like: A badass. And since there's really no reason to believe its Dorian above anyone else, so long as he doesn't want to reveal anything, for all intents and purposes he's still anonymous. So, really nothing has changed, no matter how you look at it.

Well first of all it matters to him! His life as he knew it is ruined and he must have feared this day coming! Sad

Secondly, I think it will matter to us soon as well!

How long before he is subpoenaed and forced to tell the truth, or risk a long prison sentence?

That day will indeed be a very sad day for Bitcoin. I suspect that he will have a lot of negative things to say about how Bitcoin has developed and is being used. If that were to happen the authorities (and the world) will use any negative comments from him as an excuse to simply make it illegal.

Remember that he was strongly opposed to Bitcoin even being used for donations to Wikileaks, and that was the time he left the forum and Bitcoin for good. Sad
DaFockBro

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:36:11 AM

Well first of all it matters to him! His life as he knew it is ruined and he must have feared this day coming! Sad

Secondly, I think it will matter to us soon as well!

How long before he is subpoenaed and forced to tell the truth, or risk a long prison sentence?

That day will indeed be a very sad day for Bitcoin. I suspect that he will denounce the way that Bitcoin has developed and if that were to happen the authorities (and the world) will take that as a green light to simply make it illegal.

Remember that he was strongly opposed to Bitcoin even being used for donations to Wikileaks, and that was the time he left the forum and Bitcoin for good. Sad

Yeah his life is totally ruined.  He's been reduced to a samurai legend with a massive fortune who will be written into the history books.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: