Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:30:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [VIDEO] Dorian S. Nakamoto clears his name in interview with AP  (Read 5242 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:30:52 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 04:45:01 AM by DeathAndTaxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrrtA6IoR_E

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:31:25 AM

This poor guy knows nothing about bitcoin.  Satoshi or not he clearly wants his privacy and that should be respected.

Bitrated user: Rees.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:36:47 AM

Some idiots would still say ...." ofcourse hes denying.... that means hes a real one ... everyone can see this"
psyclon

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:39:39 AM

he lie. maybe.
DaFockBro

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:44:25 AM

The last sentence is classic.

This further leads me to believe that he's the creator of Bitcoin.
seriouscoin

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:45:29 AM

The last sentence is classic.

This further leads me to believe that he's the creator of Bitcoin.

Cha ching.... TOLD YA
DaFockBro

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:48:20 AM

He doesn't really clear his name at all.  His alibis are very unspecific.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:49:38 AM

I never communicated with bitcoins.

Seems legit

Celeris

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:54:54 AM

He doesn't really clear his name at all.  His alibis are very unspecific.

How could you even have an alibi for something that was done over several years, possibly even as a hobby?

Oh I was in prison from 2000-2012 in solitary confinement, with no access to the internet?
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:57:03 AM

hahaha
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:51:39 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even sue, honestly. He might hold a press conference sometime about the role of the media in finding more than circumstantial evidence, but say the damage to her reputation has been done already.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 05:57:58 AM

Some idiots would still say ...." ofcourse hes denying.... that means hes a real one ... everyone can see this"
Yeah. Their logic doesn't make any sense.
You have two cases:
1) He is the creator; he would say that he isn't.
2) He really is not the creator; he would still say that he isn't the creator.

He just wants to be left alone.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
megashira1
Legendary

Activity: 1146

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:01:01 AM

Leahs gonna wish she was never born.

DaFockBro

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:03:47 AM

She accomplished what thousands of people and Bitcoiners have been attempting to do for years.  I'd think she's probably pretty happy to be the person that finally found Satoshi.

His answers and body language in the video indicate that it's him.  Cue the body language experts!
CryptoKilla

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:08:48 AM

This is epic!

Get Free Bitcoin on Crypto Account!   24/7 CryptoCurrency Trading   ▷ Check
DaFockBro

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:10:14 AM

Do you really believe that a highly intelligent guy was just "at home, not working for anyone" for two years?

He can't come up with any better answers as to what he was actually doing during these time periods?

He references 2001 as the year Bitcoin was created.  How could he have possibly known that?
Warren

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:17:22 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 10:06:17 AM by Warren

You can clearly see the pressure the poor man is under.  So sad to see this happen to such a great man. Sad

Leah McGrath Goodman was apparently banned from entering the UK for 2 years as part of an exclusion order against her, (similar to what recently happened to Mike Tyson a few months ago). Judging from this recent story of hers on Satoshi, the ban was probably due to the UK border control being aware of her sleazy irresponsible reporting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leah-mcgrath-goodman/david-miranda-uk-detention_b_3844480.html
TheC.L.I.T.master

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:23:54 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 12:48:22 PM by malevolent

She accomplished what thousands of people and Bitcoiners have been attempting to do for years.  I'd think she's probably pretty happy to be the person that finally found Satoshi.

His answers and body language in the video indicate that it's him.  Cue the body language experts!

His Body Language? Some people are just reserved with their reactions, or just eccentric. Let's just say it's not him, maybe they'll leave him alone, just in case. I personally don't want to know who nakamoto is. As I've said before, it's a lot harder for them to break something like bitcoin down if there is no one to hold accountable.

#This Machine Fights Oppression, This Machine Fights Facist#
Fund This Machine. BTc address removed
TheC.L.I.T.master

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:34:14 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 12:48:40 PM by malevolent

Do you really believe that a highly intelligent guy was just "at home, not working for anyone" for two years?

He can't come up with any better answers as to what he was actually doing during these time periods?

He references 2001 as the year Bitcoin was created.  How could he have possibly known that?

Not so hard to believe, he's like 60 something, no? I'm sure he had enough money to just fiddle around at home, the government pays well, what did you want him to be doing? The article mentioned he had health issues, I doubt he'd be eager to go into work with a medical ailment.

#This Machine Fights Oppression, This Machine Fights Facist"
Fund This Machine. BTC: address removed
rat

Activity: 253

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:48:57 AM

it's him.

he can't sue anybody.

because he's lying.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:02:27 AM

it's him.

he can't sue anybody.

because he's lying.

You have a great argument. The way you present things makes it so clear now to us who can't see the light.
Thanks for pointing out the logical Fallacies, or should I say phalicsies?

And the clincher is your Avatar...

I loved the "I never communicated with bitcoins." line. That clinched it for me...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:08:55 AM

You believe that he is Satoshi because he knew that Bitcoin was developed in 2001? Um, 2001?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:42:55 AM

After watching the vid I'm saying 'ya, it's him.'  My gut sense is that his brother nailed it.

I've worked with a number of Japanese Americans, and several of them quite old and/or cranky.  Most of them happened to be quite brilliant and somewhat eccentric and generally out on the margin of some aspect of human nature or another.  It's still a small sample set, but interesting none-the-less.  To me.

If he worked on the new air traffic control system I could imagine his coding experience being one of high reliability narrow scope problem solving without a lot of experience gluing things together.  I remember taking note when the new system went into service.  The old system had been in operation for something like 40 straight years and it was something of an engineering novelty to swap it out.  I remember this being in roughly the year 2000 and not to long before the 9/11 event in which the ATC system figured prominently.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
liexel

Activity: 79

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 10:50:21 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 11:01:05 AM by liexel

oh gosh this is epic.

no human being is capable of masking from the world an identity he takes pride in for long. his actions and words are eventually going to give him away. unfortunately i think he clearly wasnt ready for this, probably betting on him never being found out and probably didnt have enough time to contemplate a game plan. its really too bad now he cant return to being idyllic and all. nobody's going to leave him alone now. stupid lady just messed up an old man's retirement!

ughhhh

lmcgrathgoodman@gmail.com

please spam! she totally doesnt deserve to get away with it!
anu
Legendary

Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:09:40 AM

Satoshi can only prove his identity, nobody can prove he is not Satoshi. The closest to a prof I can think of is if Dorian were in a TV studio while the real Satoshi signs a message given by the TV station with one of the oldest keys.

Guess that won't happen which is why this horrible woman will get away with this.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 12:45:56 PM

Satoshi can only prove his identity, nobody can prove he is not Satoshi. The closest to a prof I can think of is if Dorian were in a TV studio while the real Satoshi signs a message given by the TV station with one of the oldest keys.

Guess that won't happen which is why this horrible woman will get away with this.
Exactly. He could claim the he is Satoshi, but without signing a message or sending a transaction from him addresses, there is no proof.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 12:48:01 PM

oh gosh this is epic.

no human being is capable of masking from the world an identity he takes pride in for long. his actions and words are eventually going to give him away. unfortunately i think he clearly wasnt ready for this, probably betting on him never being found out and probably didnt have enough time to contemplate a game plan. its really too bad now he cant return to being idyllic and all. nobody's going to leave him alone now. stupid lady just messed up an old man's retirement!

ughhhh

Filling up her spam folder isn't going to make any difference.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4463

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 12:51:26 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 01:06:14 PM by franky1

actually whilst dorian was having interviews. the bitcoin satoshi used an old username on the p2p forum to say he was not doarian..

dorian does not know what bitcoin is
"i just believe someone put that fictitious name in there.. satoshi nakamoto, in bit-co.. i mean bitcoin"

he cant even get the name right first time.

his nervousness is down to spending the last few hours being hounded by media on his lawn, yielding camera's and shouting at him to make a statement, following his every move.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 01:05:21 PM

actually whilst dorian was having interviews. the bitcoin satoshi used an old username on the p2p forum to say he was not doarian..

dorian does not know what bitcoin is
"i just believe someone put that ficticious name in there.. satoshi nakamoto, in bit-co.. i mean bitcoin"

he cant even get the name right first time.

his nervousness is down to spending the last few hours being hounded by media on his lawn, yielding camera's and shouting at him to make a statement, following his every move.

Anyone would be nervous after all that harassment in front of his door.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4463

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:07:05 PM

so to all these basement dwellers that think dorian is the bitcoin inventor. ask yourself this:
if you were sat at home playing with your trainset or on call of duty, then heard a noises outside your front door, and seen a dozen people with camera's saying you invented... compuglobalhypermeganet.. simply because your name was also homer simpson. how would the rest of your day turn out?

lets now just put this drama to bed along with the other 1000 "i found satoshi" stories over the past 5 years

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
salstimda

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:24:55 PM

so its not possible that satoshi gives someone else the keys so they can do it while he is at the tv-show? interesting
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:34:30 PM

The only thing that video proves is that Satoshi is a bad actor.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
anu
Legendary

Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:35:13 PM

That's not a proof at all. Any decent programmer can script this in an hour or less using a few spoonful of BeautifulSoup and a simple "at" command and Satoshi sure as hell can.

I really hope that Satoshi himself comes up with a much better proof to teach sensationalist reporters a lesson that destroying innocent people's life is not a risk free pasttime. And of course to remove the risk from Dorian that stems from the fact that every piece of scum in North America now "knows" that there is a defenseless billion $$$.

so its not possible that satoshi gives someone else the keys so they can do it while he is at the tv-show? interesting

That is why I said "the closest thing to a proof I can think of". Hope Satoshi can come up with something better.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:56:41 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2014, 02:19:03 PM by PrintCoins

I just read the original article:

http://mag.newsweek.com/2014/03/14/bitcoin-satoshi-nakamoto.html

and it seems to fit nicely, but everything mentioned is very circumstantial. Also, I am sure if anything didn't fit with the narrative it was dropped from the story.

The video also doesn't seem to be much validation either. "I never communicated with bitcoins." That would be a very weird way for anyone on the project to talk about it working on it.

Nothing is either proved or disproved, and good luck reading anything useful into his body language.

In the end, yeah, there is a darn good chance is he is the founder, but it is very inconclusive.

If I could pick someone to be the founder of bitcoin, this guy would be it. He is a humble sweet old guy with a penchant for collecting model trains and his dad was a Buddhist priest. So many people involved in bitcoin are pricks, so for the good of the currency, I would be happy if it turns out that this is the guy in question and not someone else.

I say someone should talk to him, and even if he isn't the real Satoshi, we ask him to take the credit for it, and we will adopt him as the founder. In exchange we can all chip in and buy him whatever supplies he needs to keep working on his model railroad.

As far as properly denying anything, the only way I could see it happening is if Dorian was on a live video feed that couldn't be faked, and the real Satoshi signed something time dependent and unpredictable such as the current value of the S & P 500 at the same time. I would call this the Superman Defense as Superman and Clark Kent could never be seen at the same time. This would of course require some collaboration between Dorian and Satoshi, and could only be faked if Satoshi let someone else use his private key (which would give that person the power to pretend to be Satoshi).

Alternatively Satoshi could publicize his private key thus making it impossible for any claim to be Satoshi to be verifiable.

And of course to remove the risk from Dorian that stems from the fact that every piece of scum in North America now "knows" that there is a defenseless billion $$$.

Now that is a scary thought. He is going to need some serious protection now, or for safety sake, if he is Satoshi, he might want to destroy those bitcoins in a public way. For people that think that is crazy talk, countries have been invaded to seize less money. He now has a billion dollar price tag on his head to extract the information out of it.

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:03:39 PM

How many times.....Satoshi is British.

Bitcoin has roots to Japan, yes, but Satoshi is a Brit. After all this heat, I'm glad I didn't reveal too much previously. But if someone with a British background crops up, then get excited.
liexel

Activity: 79

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:17:25 PM

oh gosh this is epic.

ughhhh

Filling up her spam folder isn't going to make any difference.

yea. i was quite infuriated! this is a letdown in so many ways
stsbrad

Brad Willman, SSCP, LTCP, MCTS,SCE,BCE

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:58:15 PM

After years of coding, gavin never met or spoke with Satoshi in the beginning?
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:22:03 PM

I can't believe you retards actually believe this guy is Satoshi..haha why, just because this chick made up a good story and he looks Japanese?

The real Satoshi even came out of hiding to say it wasn't him.

Looks like Leah did a good job, at convincing retarded people.
Frost000

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:28:59 PM

Yeah, it doesn't feel like it's him at all.

I just hope he gets some of his privacy back...
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 04:42:15 PM

I can't believe you retards actually believe this guy is Satoshi..haha why, just because this chick made up a good story and he looks Japanese?

The real Satoshi even came out of hiding to say it wasn't him.

Looks like Leah did a good job, at convincing retarded people.

His writing style is NOTHING like Satoshi's.  The real S.N. has a very exacting and clinical writing style.  Look at the whitepaper and the announcement.  Sure it is possible that he is covering but I doubt it.  The real S.N. left almost no clues as to who he was, would he use his real name?

seriouscoin

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:16:18 PM

what are the chance of Satoshi actually know Dorian ..... hence use his name?

I mean if Dorian was working on Quotron for Citigroup and then a project for defense department....etc Satoshi could have been his colleague
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:19:35 PM

How can some prick reporters be so mean to put that old man to distress?!
If is he or isn't is totally irrelevant, Bitcoin is P2P belongs to nobody and nobody has control over it, not even Satoshi Nakamoto.

PS: Believe me, I know how stressful a shitty dox attempt can be.  Angry

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:22:31 PM

I mean if Dorian was working on Quotron for Citigroup and then a project for defense department....etc Satoshi could have been his colleague

Possible, but why unless they were both in it at first and then Satoshi pulled back?

Also, if indeed this is the real Satoshi, wouldn't he have made plans in order to secure his way of life?

And I don't mean spending any of the first coins created, he could have easily made more coins by mining let's say (since he knows his creation is taking off) and live a better and more private life.

On the other hand, DPR was arrested in an appartment which he shared with roommates. And he did own a fair amount of cash.....

That being said, I doubt anybody will find out who Satoshi really is unless he decides to come out.

seriouscoin

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:30:02 PM

Possible, but why unless they were both in it at first and then Satoshi pulled back?

Also, if indeed this is the real Satoshi, wouldn't he have made plans in order to secure his way of life?

And I don't mean spending any of the first coins created, he could have easily made more coins by mining let's say (since he knows his creation is taking off) and live a better and more private life.

On the other hand, DPR was arrested in an appartment which he shared with roommates. And he did own a fair amount of cash.....

That being said, I doubt anybody will find out who Satoshi really is unless he decides to come out.

What? read what is said again. Its just the name Satoshi decided to use.... Infact hes most likely not even Asian.
el_Tico

Activity: 88

"Fly you fools"

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:44:46 PM

We need  a therapist/ analyst who can tell whether he's lying or not.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:10:12 PM

I can't believe all this idiotic talk!!!

So, what people believe is that Satoshi went to every length to hide his identity, but used his real name!!!! Jesus!!

What do you people have inside your head?  Roll Eyes
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 06:12:11 PM

So, what people believe is that Satoshi went to every length to hide his identity, but used his real name!!!! Jesus!!

They're saying it's the classical double hat trick. That would be a mistake on the internet, a bad one.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:14:03 PM

They're saying it's the classical double hat trick. That would be a mistake on the internet, a bad one.

What's that trick?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:39:23 PM

Many people who have a general interest in privacy do some simple stuff to protect it, but don't go overboard since it is damn difficult and tedious to be rigorous in this way.  Trying to put myself in 'the real Satoshi's situation working on a distributed crypto-currency solution (which was not a completely novel thing) back in the mid 2000s, I could imagine hoping that the solution would take off and anticipating it as a distant possibility, but not really expecting it.  Using something other than one's formal legal name would be plenty good for general privacy against google-fu masters, and most people who have been paying attention recognize the difficulty in achieving privacy against the internal security apparatus of the U.S. and won't bother to even attempt it.

It is also worth considering that just as Gavin knows relatively little about Satoshi, Satoshi probably knows relatively little about Gavin.  I could imagine him being a bit miffed about the CIA meeting (though I didn't consider it a real big deal myself.)  If Dorian is Satoshi, then he was also dealing with cancer and a stroke and he would certainly be analytical enough to recognize that the snowball had already started rolling down the hill by 2011 and there was little he could do to influence it even if he wished to.  That would be sufficient to explain both why he would walk away, and also why he didn't really care that much about money which he didn't really need to maintain the lifestyle which probably suited him fine.

Some people can derive enough pleasure from an achievement such as Bitcoin without needing or desiring personal credit.  Just as some people are content driving an old Toyota and would actually prefer it to a new Porche.  This may be hard for some people, and especially younger people, to understand but I can assure the reader that people such as this exist.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:26:16 PM

You can clearly see the pressure the poor man is under.  So sad to see this happen to such a great man. Sad

Leah McGrath Goodman was apparently banned from entering the UK for 2 years as part of an exclusion order against her, (similar to what recently happened to Mike Tyson a few months ago). Judging from this recent story of hers on Satoshi, the ban was probably due to the UK border control being aware of her sleazy irresponsible reporting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leah-mcgrath-goodman/david-miranda-uk-detention_b_3844480.html

Wow, you make a pretty baseless assumption there. Did you even read the article you just linked to?
Warren

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:54:56 PM

What do you people have inside your head?  Roll Eyes

Many people who have a general interest in privacy do some simple stuff to protect it, but don't go overboard since it is damn difficult and tedious to be rigorous in this way.  Trying to put myself in 'the real Satoshi's situation working on a distributed crypto-currency solution (which was not a completely novel thing) back in the mid 2000s, I could imagine hoping that the solution would take off and anticipating it as a distant possibility, but not really expecting it.  Using something other than one's formal legal name would be plenty good for general privacy against google-fu masters, and most people who have been paying attention recognize the difficulty in achieving privacy against the internal security apparatus of the U.S. and won't bother to even attempt it.

It is also worth considering that just as Gavin knows relatively little about Satoshi, Satoshi probably knows relatively little about Gavin.  I could imagine him being a bit miffed about the CIA meeting (though I didn't consider it a real big deal myself.)  If Dorian is Satoshi, then he was also dealing with cancer and a stroke and he would certainly be analytical enough to recognize that the snowball had already started rolling down the hill by 2011 and there was little he could do to influence it even if he wished to.  That would be sufficient to explain both why he would walk away, and also why he didn't really care that much about money which he didn't really need to maintain the lifestyle which probably suited him fine.

Some people can derive enough pleasure from an achievement such as Bitcoin without needing or desiring personal credit.  Just as some people are content driving an old Toyota and would actually prefer it to a new Porche.  This may be hard for some people, and especially younger people, to understand but I can assure the reader that people such as this exist.

This ^^^ exactly.

It's easy for everyone to comment on "how stupid it would have been to use his real last name if he wanted privacy", but this is in hind sight!

Going back a few years Bitcoin was just an idea and a hobby project. There was no reason for Satoshi to worry about his privacy until the time people started to use Bitcoin for things that would draw attention, like donating to Wikileaks for example. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2216.msg29280#msg29280  

This was also the time he decided to leave the forum and Bitcoin behind because he knew it was going to get a lot of unwanted attention from people he didn't want to deal with, like that sleazy reporter who decided to hang him out.  Angry
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:00:51 PM

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills !!!

DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:05:01 AM

It's easy for everyone to comment on "how stupid it would have been to use his real last name if he wanted privacy", but this is in hind sight!

There is a lot of evidence that Satoshi went through great lengths to hide his identity from day zero.  The email address (throw away) on the white paper and p2p2 foundation have never been used (or at least found to be used) for anything else either before or after the release of the paper.  He used TOR likely from the very first day.  As Gavin pointed out he never talked about himself.  The same is true if you look at this posting history going back to the first announcement.  Nothing that would time his online identity to any physical location.  Nothing about local events, the weather, his past work, his experiences.   If he is from the west coast of the US, he delayed posting to newsgroups and forums to give the indication he was in another time zone.  If he is an American he chose a London newspaper headline rather than numerous US ones to choose from.

Pretty much everything points to a purpose driven man and the purpose was to remain private.  While it may be possible he did all that and still released the paper with his own name it would seem to be completely out of character.  
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:28:29 AM

If I could pick someone to be the founder of bitcoin, this guy would be it. He is a humble sweet old guy with a penchant for collecting model trains and his dad was a Buddhist priest. So many people involved in bitcoin are pricks, so for the good of the currency, I would be happy if it turns out that this is the guy in question and not someone else.

I say someone should talk to him, and even if he isn't the real Satoshi, we ask him to take the credit for it, and we will adopt him as the founder. In exchange we can all chip in and buy him whatever supplies he needs to keep working on his model railroad.

It think it's def. not him but totally agree, Dorian seems like a righteous dude :-)

Warren

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:51:39 AM

There is a lot of evidence that Satoshi went through great lengths to hide his identity from day zero.  The email address (throw away) on the white paper and p2p2 foundation have never been used (or at least found to be used) for anything else either before or after the release of the paper.  He used TOR likely from the very first day.  As Gavin pointed out he never talked about himself.  The same is true if you look at this posting history going back to the first announcement.  Nothing that would time his online identity to any physical location.  Nothing about local events, the weather, his past work, his experiences.   If he is from the west coast of the US, he delayed posting to newsgroups and forums to give the indication he was in another time zone.  If he is an American he chose a London newspaper headline rather than numerous US ones to choose from.

Pretty much everything points to a purpose driven man and the purpose was to remain private.  While it may be possible he did all that and still released the paper with his own name it would seem to be completely out of character.

I'm not trying to start an argument as I agree that Satoshi wanted to stay private, but let's just break down the evidence you pointed out:

The email address (throw away) on the white paper and p2p2 foundation have never been used (or at least found to be used) for anything else either before or after the release of the paper.

If you were publishing something like the Bitcoin white paper online, would you use your normal personal email address or set-up a new one specifically for that?

He used TOR likely from the very first day.

Do we know this for a fact? Did theymos confirm that from Satoshi's logins to the forum, or how do we know?

I have seen quotes that Satoshi even mined on Tor, but I have never seen any evidence? Satoshi had already left (or was just about to) by the time I joined the forum and I honestly haven't read all his posts, did he say this himself at some point or what are the sources for this?

As Gavin pointed out he never talked about himself.  The same is true if you look at this posting history going back to the first announcement.  Nothing that would time his online identity to any physical location.  Nothing about local events, the weather, his past work, his experiences.

I normally don't do that either, and the same is true for a lot of people. I don't do it here or on other online forums I engage in, not even those that I have been a member of for more than a decade. I think a lot of people that have been online since the early to mid-90s and are not part of "the Facebook generation" prefer to only share their private lives with people in the real world rather than with online friends.

If he is from the west coast of the US, he delayed posting to newsgroups and forums to give the indication he was in another time zone.

We can speculate that the timing of his postings was to indicate he was in another time zone, but perhaps it was just because he worked odd hours? Take me as an example, I'm here posting now but I bet if you guessed my time zone based on that it would be wrong. I'm heading off to bed soon though!  Wink

If he is an American he chose a London newspaper headline rather than numerous US ones to choose from.

Maybe he just preferred the headline from The Times, a +200-year old respected newspaper?

I agree that there is no question he wanted to keep a low profile and remain private, but maybe those feelings didn't really come into play until after he started to interact with others online about the Bitcoin project?
DaFockBro

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:17:40 AM

His own children were also quoted saying he bought model train parts from England.  Not unlikely that he might read a british newspaper every now and then too.

He really looks like he's hiding something/lying in this video.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:24:24 AM

Does it REALLY matter at this point?

Look, I don't think Dorian is The One, but if he is, then he's just about what I thought he would be like: A badass. And since there's really no reason to believe its Dorian above anyone else, so long as he doesn't want to reveal anything, for all intents and purposes he's still anonymous. So, really nothing has changed, no matter how you look at it.

DaFockBro

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:29:15 AM

I love how everyone's like "aww, poor guy, I feel so bad for him, what awful treatment, this is such an outrage!"

It must be so sooo terrible being a legendary samurai dude who changed the world and amassed an epic fortune in the process.

He's a grown-ass man and a genius I'm sure he can handle some media attention.
Warren

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:34:54 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 05:45:42 AM by Warren

Look, I don't think Dorian is The One, but if he is, then he's just about what I thought he would be like: A badass. And since there's really no reason to believe its Dorian above anyone else, so long as he doesn't want to reveal anything, for all intents and purposes he's still anonymous. So, really nothing has changed, no matter how you look at it.

Well first of all it matters to him! His life as he knew it is ruined and he must have feared this day coming! Sad

Secondly, I think it will matter to us soon as well!

How long before he is subpoenaed and forced to tell the truth, or risk a long prison sentence?

That day will indeed be a very sad day for Bitcoin. I suspect that he will have a lot of negative things to say about how Bitcoin has developed and is being used. If that were to happen the authorities (and the world) will use any negative comments from him as an excuse to simply make it illegal.

Remember that he was strongly opposed to Bitcoin even being used for donations to Wikileaks, and that was the time he left the forum and Bitcoin for good. Sad
DaFockBro

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:36:11 AM

Well first of all it matters to him! His life as he knew it is ruined and he must have feared this day coming! Sad

How long before he is subpoenaed and forced to tell the truth, or risk a long prison sentence?

That day will indeed be a very sad day for Bitcoin. I suspect that he will denounce the way that Bitcoin has developed and if that were to happen the authorities (and the world) will take that as a green light to simply make it illegal.

Remember that he was strongly opposed to Bitcoin even being used for donations to Wikileaks, and that was the time he left the forum and Bitcoin for good. Sad

Yeah his life is totally ruined.  He's been reduced to a samurai legend with a massive fortune who will be written into the history books.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:59:57 AM

That day will indeed be a very sad day for Bitcoin. I suspect that he will denounce the way that Bitcoin has developed and if that were to happen the authorities (and the world) will take that as a green light to simply make it illegal.

Or was it Gavin's visit to the CIA or health problems or a recognition that his influence was shrinking as things picked up steam or did he get more interested in turning a wheel for a model train?  Or some combination.  Whether Dorian is Satoshi or not, he probably did have at least a working familiarity with the inteligence apparatus of the U.S.

Yeah his life is totally ruined.  He's been reduced to a samurai legend with a massive fortune who will be written into the history books.

LOL!  Whoever Satoshi is he probably knew what he was doing and had at least a strong sense that he was playing with fire.  Nowhere is it more fitting then here to use the phrase "If you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."  I guess he considered it and did vacate the kitchen.

I'll bet that the NSA has known who Satoshi is even before the Wikilieaks thing, and certainly they did afterwards.  And that Satoshi was fully aware of this.  Only a fool would believe that doing an end-run around the efforts to get PayPal and Visa to prostitute themselves for Uncle Sam would bring significant scrutiny.  Whatever Satoshi felt about Wikileaks he certainly seemed to recognize this.  He was probably as amazed as I was that the solution survived given the relatively early stage of it's development and the dismal level of stress-testing and QA that the community tends to muster.

DaFockBro

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:03:24 AM

Or was it Gavin's visit to the CIA or health problems or a recognition that his influence was shrinking as things picked up steam or did he get more interested in turning a wheel for a model train?  Or some combination.  Whether Dorian is Satoshi or not, he probably did have at least a working familiarity with the inteligence apparatus of the U.S.

LOL!  Whoever Satoshi is he probably knew what he was doing and had at least a strong sense that he was playing with fire.  Nowhere is it more fitting then here to use the phrase "If you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."  I guess he considered it and did vacate the kitchen.

I'll bet that the NSA has known who Satoshi is even before the Wikilieaks thing, and certainly they did afterwards.  And that Satoshi was fully aware of this.  Only a fool would believe that doing an end-run around the efforts to get PayPal and Visa to prostitute themselves for Uncle Sam would bring significant scrutiny.  Whatever Satoshi felt about Wikileaks he certainly seemed to recognize this.  He was probably as amazed as I was that the solution survived given the relatively early stage of it's development and the dismal level of stress-testing and QA that the community tends to muster.

Agreed. The Wikileaks thing was probably his "this shit is getting cray" moment.  No way someone would predict their little isolated academic experiment would blow up like that.
Warren

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:07:02 AM

He's a grown-ass man and a genius I'm sure he can handle some media attention.

I love to think of him like that too, just like in this picture!  Grin

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010090011T13942577991592644

But unfortunately when seeing him in that video interview, what I see is haunted frightened man who will probably not defend Bitcoin like the bad-ass we hope will be. Sad

He needs to feel our support. Knowing that you have a million+ people behind you that consider you their "hero genius", and will do everything they can do protect you can hopefully make the coming weeks/months ahead easier for him to cope with, but most people here still don't believe he is our Satoshi.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:07:06 AM

He feared what exactly? That reporters were going to come to his house for a few days, and he was going to have to say he isn't the satoshi, and then they were going to have to be like "do you have proof?" and then he's going to have to be like "no" and then... yeah? The real satoshi nakamoto is one of the hundreds of people who might be satoshi nakamoto. I don't see any of the other maybe-satoshi-nakamotos running around having such a terrible life. [/quote]

How long before he is subpoenaed and forced to tell the truth
Subpoenaed for what? Coding software? And then what, he comes to court "Hi, my name is Satoshi Nakamoto and I didn't code bitcoin". Then what? "But your name is Satoshi Nakamoto and you know how to code?" Seriously. There is more evidence that Max Keiser is the real Satoshi over this dude.

or risk a long prison sentence?
Once again, for what, and how exactly does one prove this?

That day will indeed be a very sad day for Bitcoin. I suspect that he will have a lot of negative things to say about how Bitcoin has developed and is being used. If that were to happen the authorities (and the world) will use any negative comments from him as an excuse to simply make it illegal.
Because once you release something in the public domain you can say "nvm" and now its illegal. And, because some reason he'd want to do it now, when he has millions of dollars worth of them stored up.

Seriously what you're saying makes negative sense. Whether he is or is not Satoshi doesn't matter, because we won't know whether or not he's Satoshi, and if we dont, then nothing has changed.

Warren

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:44:19 AM

He feared what exactly? That reporters were going to come to his house for a few days, and he was going to have to say he isn't the satoshi, and then they were going to have to be like "do you have proof?" and then he's going to have to be like "no" and then... yeah?

It may be hard to understand the fear of being "outed" like that for someone who is not overly concerned about privacy. However, I can understand those feelings and I believe they are very strong in Satoshi, and they are not only related to the NSA and CSI etc., even if that is a big part of it.

I believe he is a man that would rather just keep a low profile and communicate with people on his own terms. The possibility of being forced to answer questions and come under the spotlight might cause him huge stress. Think of Howard Hughes.  Undecided

The real satoshi nakamoto is one of the hundreds of people who might be satoshi nakamoto.

Until today yes it could have been one of hundreds, but now the world knows (or at least believes) that this is the Satoshi.

I don't see any of the other maybe-satoshi-nakamotos running around having such a terrible life

Because they aren't the real Satoshi they were probably just flattered by the idea that they were considered a candidate.

Subpoenaed for what? Coding software? And then what, he comes to court "Hi, my name is Satoshi Nakamoto and I didn't code bitcoin". Then what? "But your name is Satoshi Nakamoto and you know how to code?" Seriously. There is more evidence that Max Keiser is the real Satoshi over this dude.

If that is the route things end up going, which I believe it will, then it won't be as easy as saying: "Nah, it's not me" any longer, because as tvbcof pointed out most likely the NSA may already have been aware that he is the Bitcoin creator. Lying and saying that he knows nothing about it in those circumstances will carry serious risk.

I'll bet that the NSA has known who Satoshi is even before the Wikilieaks thing, and certainly they did afterwards.  And that Satoshi was fully aware of this.  

Even in the event that they didn't already know, by now it will be easy for them to find out when they have a clear well defined target to research.

"Or risk a long prison sentence"
Once again, for what, and how exactly does one prove this?

For perjury.

Seriously what you're saying makes negative sense. Whether he is or is not Satoshi doesn't matter, because we won't know whether or not he's Satoshi, and if we dont, then nothing has changed.

I hope you are right, but I'm afraid that there will soon be some politician or government agency out on a "power trip" and they will subpoena him to some sort of hearing, and then he has nowhere to go. Satoshi knew that and that is one of reasons why he feared when this day would come. Sad
Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:09:51 AM

What do you people have inside your head?  Roll Eyes

Many people who have a general interest in privacy do some simple stuff to protect it, but don't go overboard since it is damn difficult and tedious to be rigorous in this way.  Trying to put myself in 'the real Satoshi's situation working on a distributed crypto-currency solution (which was not a completely novel thing) back in the mid 2000s, I could imagine hoping that the solution would take off and anticipating it as a distant possibility, but not really expecting it.  Using something other than one's formal legal name would be plenty good for general privacy against google-fu masters, and most people who have been paying attention recognize the difficulty in achieving privacy against the internal security apparatus of the U.S. and won't bother to even attempt it.

It is also worth considering that just as Gavin knows relatively little about Satoshi, Satoshi probably knows relatively little about Gavin.  I could imagine him being a bit miffed about the CIA meeting (though I didn't consider it a real big deal myself.)  If Dorian is Satoshi, then he was also dealing with cancer and a stroke and he would certainly be analytical enough to recognize that the snowball had already started rolling down the hill by 2011 and there was little he could do to influence it even if he wished to.  That would be sufficient to explain both why he would walk away, and also why he didn't really care that much about money which he didn't really need to maintain the lifestyle which probably suited him fine.

Some people can derive enough pleasure from an achievement such as Bitcoin without needing or desiring personal credit.  Just as some people are content driving an old Toyota and would actually prefer it to a new Porche.  This may be hard for some people, and especially younger people, to understand but I can assure the reader that people such as this exist.

This ^^^ exactly.

Going back a few years Bitcoin was just an idea and a hobby project. There was no reason for Satoshi to worry about his privacy until the time people started to use Bitcoin for things that would draw attention, like donating to Wikileaks for example. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2216.msg29280#msg29280  

This was also the time he decided to leave the forum and Bitcoin behind because he knew it was going to get a lot of unwanted attention from people he didn't want to deal with, like that sleazy reporter who decided to hang him out.  Angry

Exactly. Satoshi using his real name seems crazy from todays perspective. Couple years ago, providing nobody would knew which of the many Satoshi Nakamoto's he is and where he lives should give he complete privacy. I am sure he never expected this guru/founder/demi-god status he so rapidly achieved Wink
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:19:14 AM

We need  a therapist/ analyst who can tell whether he's lying or not.

You mean an analrapist?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIpPqcln6Y
Omega0255

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:54:38 AM

leah wrote all this?

PHHHHHHHHHH

Grin
Omega0255

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:55:46 AM

hook him up to a lie detector!
seriouscoin

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:00:57 AM

hook him up to a lie detector!

which is proven to be flaw. Hence court dont use it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: