Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:53:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you're ~15% in the red, is it crazy to sell?  (Read 2405 times)
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1263

So anyway, I applied as a merit source :)

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2018, 08:01:33 AM

Even in this case it is better hold the cryptocurrencies that you have. 15% loss is really not too much but you will be in minus if you sell everything. Be more patient.

You are wrong, a 15% loss will make people panic about their holdings. After all majority of the holders of coins are speculating on how the bubble becomes and not the intrinsic use of a coin. Thus they are prone to panic. Usually those who play the day trading game, know when to exit but if you are hodling then you will get alarmed and in dire cases might get afraid and sell off your holding. For bitcoin to drop its not of much significant because it will go back up surely and gradually.

But for altcoins - you might want to question your ideals of holding - it becomes a personal choice in the end obviously.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
pinoyden

Activity: 756
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 10:42:22 AM

Even in this case it is better hold the cryptocurrencies that you have. 15% loss is really not too much but you will be in minus if you sell everything. Be more patient.

You are wrong, a 15% loss will make people panic about their holdings. After all majority of the holders of coins are speculating on how the bubble becomes and not the intrinsic use of a coin. Thus they are prone to panic. Usually those who play the day trading game, know when to exit but if you are hodling then you will get alarmed and in dire cases might get afraid and sell off your holding. For bitcoin to drop its not of much significant because it will go back up surely and gradually.

But for altcoins - you might want to question your ideals of holding - it becomes a personal choice in the end obviously.

only noobs will only panic but veteran and pro hodlers will not .  why panic if you know that the market drop is only normal and part of the game ? 15% or above is still recomendable BUT as long as you badly need the money , if not then there's no point of selling your coins at a huge loss .

Not good idea to sell your coin at 15 percent of loses
But if you a day trader go ahead sell it if not don't sell it for long term investment
Loses is a part of the risk in trading specially day trade
But you need to be careful of you decision to avoid a lot of loses

you cant day trade if the overall market suffer from 15% loss because you will only loose .  day trading is only applicable only if some of the coins are not affected in the dip .

instead of selling and trading , why can we just start buying ? you will only get the benefit to purchase the coins at a lesser price whenever the market is falling .
oseikuf44

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 12:06:12 PM

Been down by 15% is only temporal and I will wait for the price to get break even before selling unless I need the invested amount for an emergence then I can sell at a loss price.
emberbekas
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 12:07:43 PM

Declining the investment values in the large number will certainly make people panic but how these people manage their feelings so as not to direct them to make the wrong decisions is what we must learn. Up and down in values from our investment are the two things that can't be avoided.

Wessulg

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 12:08:02 PM

If the currency you have is one of the main ones like LTC or ETH, or PoS coin giving you reward covering price dropping, you still have a high chance to be back in profit .
But if it some kind of shitcoin which not giving you any rewards from staking i think better to sell immediately as soon you see it's going down - better loose just 15 % now then 50% in a week or 90% in a month...
St4yInTh3D4rk

Activity: 686
Merit: 264

"STAY IN THE DARK"

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 12:59:29 PM

That 15% of price difference can change in a day or two so there is no need to sell your coins for the losses because I can be patient because knowing the fact but already we knows that cryptos are risky and we need to hold longer to make profitsso don't change the rules or you will be in loss.

bustadice         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
[bustadice.
Play
bustadice]

Hero/Legendary
..bustadice..              ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
cluit
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 03:21:59 PM

Some people were buying ETH at the price of $190+ then while others were panicking. These drops are to be seen as an opportunity for those who missed the recent bull market. Buying Ethereum at the price rate of $100+ is something very cheap and everyone should see it as an opportunity. And this time around I don’t think the price is going back as it has gotten to $200+, it might just continue going up from there.
There are some times when some little drops will not even affect you most especially when you are a long term trader. For one thing I have always known, once a market has bottomed enough and over sold, it is always a very good buy and a lot of people usually do not always understand that.

Apart from that, you need to ask yourself if you are actually a trader or just an investor, which I believe anyone who is a trader, in this case referring to the OP, will not be asking whether 15% is crazy to sell or not. Sometimes, it all depends on your strategy, of where you are getting in, where you are getting out, the support levels, things not working as planned and so more. If you do not have a strategy, you should not even be trading in the first place.
Shutup

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 04:37:27 PM

Hey,
I didn't act on the recent crash,,, i had bought at about 230$ markets currently just above 200$
I know the right idea is likely to hold, as the market will go up eventually.. but i predict in the intermediate term it'll go down further.
I guess this is where the psychology of trading comes into play.. I'm in regret and want to sell at a 15% loss in order to have a chance of making the 15% back and then be able to continue trading as i was before the recent dip.

When you're 'marooned' with coins that are worth less than you bought them is the right idea; always to hold?
I just want to practise trading further... and have no spare capital to do so.. 

Yeah its crazy to sell now because coins have no value.its big lose of our effort because we work and no pay.Its really hard to work that you expect to have money to buy food for your kids but no payment.lt really hurts,but we have nothing to do but to drop our tears and look for a job for kids food.Crypto now is so bloody.
milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 1136

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 04:44:42 PM

On bitcoins side then that kind of decrease wont really be too much 15% will eventually be recovered in no time together with some good top altcoins in the market but if we compare to BTC then they are really behind when it comes to % recoveries.Selling on panic is never been a good idea but there are really some situations which you would really need to make such decision.

perfect999

Activity: 1610
Merit: 299

View Profile
October 30, 2018, 06:15:50 AM

It is very hard to lock out emotions, but people should do so IMO. Should not care too much how much negative you are in, more about what future probably going to bring. And also, what better options you may have. Holding is good, but if there is something else better to hold...
That’s why it’s always good to make plans before you invest your money. So people never think of the fact that there might be loss when they invest their money. They only focus on how much they can make from their investment without thinking of how much they can lose, and when they invest and start losing they start to complain. That’s why experts will always say to us that we should invest what we can afford to lose, cause they know that anything can happen at anytime.
AlutBitcoin

Activity: 47

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 09:38:22 AM

It depends on how yourself, but that's not the problem because ive passed it before. If i predict in long-term it will fall foreverr so i will sell soon then try to take profit with another coins.
In fact it is depending on your trading strategies, if you are a short term investor then no doubt that it is time to sell, because you have to change your planning and buy again in low price, but if you are a long term investor then 15% is not such  a big drop you need to wait for the market recovery.
thegoatiest (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 11:27:19 AM

Hello again,
Thankyou all for the replies and insight. I appreciate it.

I realised that i didn't post which coin it was... it was indeed Ethereum that i bought.
I also spent more than I had spare at the time, wanted to trade - yet had no particular strategy or much in the way of understanding of technical analysis.

I have held onto the coins I bought, and have decided; I really need to learn a lot more before trying to trade.
While waiting for the coin to go up in value (which I suspect it will at some point) I'm going to continue studying technical analysis and practising on a demo account.
That way once i break even I should have a better idea of what to do.
Siren

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 12:45:01 PM

Hey,
I didn't act on the recent crash,,, i had bought at about 230$ markets currently just above 200$
I know the right idea is likely to hold, as the market will go up eventually.. but i predict in the intermediate term it'll go down further.
I guess this is where the psychology of trading comes into play.. I'm in regret and want to sell at a 15% loss in order to have a chance of making the 15% back and then be able to continue trading as i was before the recent dip.

When you're 'marooned' with coins that are worth less than you bought them is the right idea; always to hold?

Are we talking about ethereum here?Or this is the capital you invested in cryptocurrency?
But either both ,theres no ashame in selling even if the amount drops to 50%
Because this is your option.and we must respect and cutting losses is another strategy most traders use for another buy off when the market shines again
horrifiedx1

Activity: 602
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 01:07:05 PM

It is very hard to lock out emotions, but people should do so IMO. Should not care too much how much negative you are in, more about what future probably going to bring. And also, what better options you may have. Holding is good, but if there is something else better to hold...
That’s why it’s always good to make plans before you invest your money. So people never think of the fact that there might be loss when they invest their money. They only focus on how much they can make from their investment without thinking of how much they can lose, and when they invest and start losing they start to complain. That’s why experts will always say to us that we should invest what we can afford to lose, cause they know that anything can happen at anytime.
right, investing really should use free money, so we don't panic when assets decline. of course a 15% reduction has not been significant. because until now many have experienced a decline in assets to 70%

▀█████▄▀██▄▀█▄          H   E   L   E   N   A          ▀▄▀             501,652% APY             ▄█▀▄██▀▄█████▀
▀██▄                  |        TWITTER        |      TELEGRAM      |        DISCORD        |                  ▄██▀
▀█▄        The Best in Space Auto-Compounding DeFi 3.0 Protocol on BSC        ▄█▀
syamster

Activity: 1078
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 03, 2018, 07:55:20 PM

right, investing really should use free money, so we don't panic when assets decline. of course a 15% reduction has not been significant. because until now many have experienced a decline in assets to 70%
Of course it is good to invest our free money than keeping it with us for no use, right now there are a lot of invest, who are holding but some are selling, 15% drop is even very dangerous because it will make market lowers, I think red market will be recover soon, 70% decline in price will affect the market so badly, so hold your coin and never sell at panic price is expected to be high for next 15%.

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀
      ▀▀█████  █  ▄██▀▀
         ▀▀██  ██▀▀
.WINDICE.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
      ▄████████▀
     ▄████████
    ▄███████▀
   ▄███████▀
  ▄█████████████
 ▄████████████▀
▄███████████▀
     █████▀
    ████▀
   ████
  ███▀
 ██▀
█▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
     ▄▄█████▄   ▄▄▄▄
    ██████████▄███████▄
  ▄████████████████████▌
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
 ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
     ▄█     ▄█     ▄█
   ▄██▌   ▄██▌   ▄██▌
   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀
       ▄█     ▄█
     ▄██▌   ▄██▌
     ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
                   ▄█▄
                 ▄█████▄
                █████████▄
       ▄       ██ ████████▌
     ▄███▄    ▐█▌▐█████████
   ▄███████▄   ██ ▀███████▀
 ▄███████████▄  ▀██▄▄████▀
▐█ ▄███████████    ▀▀▀▀
█ █████████████▌      ▄
█▄▀████████████▌    ▄███▄
▐█▄▀███████████    ▐█▐███▌
 ▀██▄▄▀▀█████▀      ▀█▄█▀
   ▀▀▀███▀▀▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
iePlay NoweiI
I
I
I
Arthurian60

Activity: 234

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2018, 09:19:37 PM

Sometimes there could be red day and in the mist of the red day you could be 10-15% down. Sometimes the right move is to sell of and buy when there is massive drop and if there is no drop in price you move to another coin or trade. We should not trade with emotions at all as it can affect us negatively.
shadyrifles

Activity: 518
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 06:25:22 PM

Hey,

This could be absolutely not a universal formula for the trading, Buying/Selling of a coin depends on the current market situation, related news and the situation of the project. Although I always prefer not to sell in Red, the trader should wait for the recovery and sell.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1263

So anyway, I applied as a merit source :)

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2018, 09:01:19 AM

only noobs will only panic but veteran and pro hodlers will not .  why panic if you know that the market drop is only normal and part of the game ? 15% or above is still recomendable BUT as long as you badly need the money , if not then there's no point of selling your coins at a huge loss .
You have no idea how many noobs are there browsing this forum. The pro-people as you speak of dont come to this forum at all. They are watching the markets and then buying at the dip with their money because the latter has no ends for them. For the less fortunate people a dip of 15% does include panic because it is their hard earned money. Same for the whales but they keep a lot of money to not be in a loss even if there is a dip, because they are prepared for it.

Declining the investment values in the large number will certainly make people panic but how these people manage their feelings so as not to direct them to make the wrong decisions is what we must learn. Up and down in values from our investment are the two things that can't be avoided.
Its about nerves. Those who have nerves that dont panic are good to go.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Pattart

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 09:34:04 AM

Whatever the conditions, of course do not ever panic and fear because you will not be able to make the right choice according to circumstances if you are still panicking. a 15% decrease does not mean a bad thing or maybe the beginning of a bad thing. so don't panic, do technical analysis and you will know what you have to do
shafi alam

Activity: 630
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 09:50:56 AM

I think its depend on how much do you,  how much do you can take risk, is it very important money to you.

if it is small amount  of money, then you can consider.   
if it is not important money to you, then you can spare some moment.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: