Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:15:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Anti-spam Suggestion] Forbid newbies to post URL's  (Read 528 times)
bob123 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2018, 08:24:39 AM
Merited by LoyceV (2), Steamtyme (1)

Based on the last few 'spam attacks' (for example: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5061448.0) of newbie bots posting some shady and scammy links to ICO's or whatsoever,

i'd be interested in hearing what you guys think about restricting them from posting URL's at all ?

My suggestion would be to remove the whole [url] tags, including the link inbetween AND any link posted without [url]-tags (similar to the 'suspicious link removed' message).

IMO there is no necessity for a newbie (who didn't even receive 1 merit) to post any URL.

The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JetAid

Activity: 122
Merit: 20

Jet Cash's better half

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2018, 08:42:29 AM

I'd include juniors in the restriction as well. One merit is too easy to get.

I disabled Fit to Talk registrations because of applications by non-member spammers. Click here to send me a PM if you would like to join.
Suvnikki

Activity: 108
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 11:10:08 AM

Yeah, was a lot of spam. Their latest examples are the RKT - 8 Robot. And in social networks and on our forum and in Telegram.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 11:45:49 AM

This was suggested before but nothing happened, I hope this time to have some solution.
Some time ago I came across one or two posts of newbies with changed link, they had the referral part of the link "cut out" from the legit link.  I think I got one PM too.

S_Therapist

Activity: 308
Merit: 277

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 12:57:55 PM

scammy links to ICO's or whatsoever
If scam is the issue, why don't we restrict people to post ICO ANN here? Aren't they scamming more? Lots of new ICO is launched daily and people lose thousands of dollar.
I'm agreed with you but if you consider scam, restricting ICO ANN will be more effective.
Also, because of those ICO ANN thread, spams are increasing too.

I think theymos is not thinking about this now at all. Otherwise, in recent updated restriction, he would definitely add this one too.

Exchase
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CRYPTO EXCHANGE  │  MARGIN TRADING  │  TOKEN LISTING
CRYPTO-WALLET  │  CRYPTO-GAMES  │  CRYPTO LOANS
SOCIAL TRADING  │  P2P EXCHANGE  │  OTC TRADING
MONEY TRANSFER SYSTEM  │  BINARY OPTIONS
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
kenzawak

Activity: 658
Merit: 851

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 01:48:44 PM

The issue would be all the people who became copper members in order to participate to bounties. If you include them, they won't be able to post their weekly reports (facebook links, twitter links...)

But I like the idea : less spam, less scam, less phishing,less ref links, less shitty translations made by newbies...
virendarnagpal

Activity: 672
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 02:44:33 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2018, 05:59:26 AM by virendarnagpal

With the introduction of new system several Junior Members were demoted to Newbie rank.  But we witnessed flood of Newbies getting one merit and again promoted to Junior Member rank.  Such a flood was not witnessed in the past.  
One question which comes to my mind is whether only juniors are scammers?  And what if the scammer is senior member?

Smiley If Junior Members are banned for signature then It will motivate members like me to rank up.  So at one point of time it will be beneficial to us though it tastes bitter presently.  
I agree S_Therapist why not ban ICOs?  because lots of people are being cheated via ICO scams.
vivavivu

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 06:17:25 PM

Right now newbie can post link of a website but caant post something like https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rm_q8E3UHu6ndGL3ykll and also cant post link shortened. I think posting web link will not be forbidden for newbie.
Blanca_Gregory

Activity: 72
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 06:27:58 PM

If spam is the issue, then why not ban the website they're linking it to? Or, if they're doing it repeatedly, then just ban them altogether? No better way to keep the forum out of spammers than to filter and restrict their posts and/or ban them from the forum, right?
cryptovigi

Activity: 714
Merit: 611

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 10:48:56 PM

this topic is quite consistent with my yesterday's thought from another thread Newbies necro-posting and spamming to promote a referral link

There are hundreds, I reported dozens last night.
No point in cluttering up the Plagiarism thread (just a different sort of spam), just report them as containing referral links.
The scheme to which they are trying to get traffic is being promoted on the forum anyway.

So it's look like another way to utilize farms of boots... which couldn't use signature anymore.

Theymos should make exactly the same what he did with signatures - limit possibility to publish external links to Jr. Member and upper... Newbies if they want/need to put link to the source or interesting article always could put "nonclickable" addresses. I also read there's possibility to exclude any address from the constraint, so excluding bitcointalk.org would deal with all internal links or quotations leaving them still active.

I think, It would be the best, fastest and easiest way to get rid of them... at least until they find another way to utilize their hundreds of alts Angry

pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2018, 11:21:55 PM

Do you mean to make the links posted by newbies unclickable? Or for the forum to just wipe out any link that newbies post? Either way, both of them have their pros and cons, and a copper membership could solve the problems for newbies. But I could only see this happening if the issue of newbies spamming URLs on a VERY LARGE SCALE. 

gawer33

Activity: 309
Merit: 5

View Profile
November 03, 2018, 02:58:28 AM

I disagree sometimes newbies need to post a link for scam accusations or account reactivation for ban appeals. Implementing this will only give scammers more opportunities to scam newbies thus they cannot even provide links.

STOP eating Oreo save the orangutans
https://www.orangutan.org.au/about-orangutans/orangutan-threats/
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
November 03, 2018, 03:40:40 AM

Far too extreme for a newbie. Not every newbie is a bot and looking to share shady and scammy links. Some newbies are genuine and looking to grow with the community as they learn and if you impose such it simply means new members are not welcome.
How will a newbie able to post from an external source if they not able to share a link of my source? won't it earn them an automatic ban for "plagiarism''?

Sometimes a newbie may need to ask for Help/support with reference to Links or Some other Newbie may be willing to help with reference using a link but can not do so because they can't post links. Now how does that help the community to grow?
Much as we need to get rid of Newbie bots, we should also consider that there are genuine newbies.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
November 03, 2018, 04:17:01 AM

This is easier said than done. Spammers would just post ‘bitcointalk dot org’ instead of a actual link and search engines would still pick up the text of the link. The underlying reason why these spammers post these links isn’t to get forum users to click on them, it is to get search engines to recognize that bitcointalk has the link displayed on one (many) of its pages which helps the search engine rankings for the link.

A better solution would be to configure the robots.txt to somehow get search engines to not pick up posts by newbies that are not at least xx hours old. This would give mods time to remove the posts before search engines can pick up the links, and reduce the effectiveness of this spamming strategy to near zero.
bob123 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2018, 07:58:03 AM

I'd include juniors in the restriction as well. One merit is too easy to get.

The point is not to forbid any newbie to post links. Just to stem the massive amounts of spam.

scammy links to ICO's or whatsoever
If scam is the issue, why don't we restrict people to post ICO ANN here? Aren't they scamming more? Lots of new ICO is launched daily and people lose thousands of dollar.
I'm agreed with you but if you consider scam, restricting ICO ANN will be more effective.
Also, because of those ICO ANN thread, spams are increasing too.

ICO Announcements are in a sperate sub. If people decide to browse that sub, they decide to see this spammy rubbish.

I didn't want to suggest restricting what people are allowing to post. Just spammy ICO shit in all the other subs (e.g. technical support, bumping 2 year old threads).

The issue would be all the people who became copper members in order to participate to bounties. If you include them, they won't be able to post their weekly reports (facebook links, twitter links...)

I, personally, wouldn't include them because those spambots are creating standard accounts (non-copper) for spamming.
Those people aren't THAT retarded, to pay for creating an account simply to have their link displayed somewhere for 10 minutes.

I'd assume that copper members aren't just created to spam 1 link and leave.

One question which comes to my mind is whether only juniors are scammers?  And what if the scammer is senior member?

Smiley If Junior Members are banned for signature then It will motivate members like me to rank up.  So at one point of time it will be beneficial to us though it tastes bitter presently. 
I agree S_Therapist why not ban ICOs?  because lots of people are being cheated via ICO scams.

Of course not only jr. are scammer.

What i have said is that i would restrict newbies from posting URL's.

If spam is the issue, then why not ban the website they're linking it to? Or, if they're doing it repeatedly, then just ban them altogether? No better way to keep the forum out of spammers than to filter and restrict their posts and/or ban them from the forum, right?

Probably because there are multiple new websites created daily which are then spammed here across unrelated threads.
I think it would be way more effort to ban each site, than to simply restrict newbies from posting URL's. But both is a good approach.

Do you mean to make the links posted by newbies unclickable? Or for the forum to just wipe out any link that newbies post? Either way, both of them have their pros and cons, and a copper membership could solve the problems for newbies. But I could only see this happening if the issue of newbies spamming URLs on a VERY LARGE SCALE. 

Not only unclickable, but also removed. Like it is happening with suspicious links (www.[suspicious link removed].com etc.), just for every URL from newbies.
IMO this spam is getting out of control.

A few days ago i had to report at least 10 of such spams, which were bumping year old threads.

I disagree sometimes newbies need to post a link for scam accusations or account reactivation for ban appeals. Implementing this will only give scammers more opportunities to scam newbies thus they cannot even provide links.

Exceptions can be made (e.g. scam accusation). This wouldn't hurt the idea, i believe.

Far too extreme for a newbie. Not every newbie is a bot and looking to share shady and scammy links. Some newbies are genuine and looking to grow with the community as they learn and if you impose such it simply means new members are not welcome.
How will a newbie able to post from an external source if they not able to share a link of my source? won't it earn them an automatic ban for "plagiarism''?

Sometimes a newbie may need to ask for Help/support with reference to Links or Some other Newbie may be willing to help with reference using a link but can not do so because they can't post links. Now how does that help the community to grow?
Much as we need to get rid of Newbie bots, we should also consider that there are genuine newbies.

It's not that hard to receive 1 merit.
So, if people are really willing to learn etc.. they also will earn 1 merit.

And it shouldn't hurt to wait with posting links until then.

Beginners- / Spam accusation-  subs could be excluded from this rule, maybe.

This is easier said than done. Spammers would just post ‘bitcointalk dot org’ instead of a actual link and search engines would still pick up the text of the link. The underlying reason why these spammers post these links isn’t to get forum users to click on them, it is to get search engines to recognize that bitcointalk has the link displayed on one (many) of its pages which helps the search engine rankings for the link.

Wouldn't this already be way less effective in terms of SEO ?

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2018, 09:02:08 AM

Examples like this - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5063046.0
show that the suggested restriction would be a great advantage to the forum, and would reduce the wordload of the mods.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1051

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2018, 09:08:09 AM

not really too extreme, most of the forum who were bombard with spam already did this to new accounts that they need them to at least be registered for several days before they can post clickable links. Theymos can do this by making the newbies avail the copper membership if they want to by pass the restriction.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Gloverwrt

Activity: 126
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 11:03:34 AM

I am not sure I agree with the idea of limiting thousands of newbies because of the activities if a few.
Posting phishing or scammy links I believe would get your account nuked, and users are actively involved in cleaning up the forum these days by reporting such posts.

Of course links are not really beneficial to a poster and should only be used when necessary but I don't think anyone should be restricted (or assumed to abuse the system based in rank)
Reviewing posts from newbies is a better suggestion, this would effectively eliminate spamming and those who break rules can be banned without their posts being made public.
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 11:17:44 AM

There are genuine reasons for newbies to post URLs. Lets not make this forum unattractive to new members.

Spammers will find ways around it while genuine members will just leave.

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2018, 12:27:08 PM

There are genuine reasons for newbies to post URLs. Lets not make this forum unattractive to new members.

Spammers will find ways around it while genuine members will just leave.
Agree. Such restriction would hurt legitimate newbies who came here to announce their services for example. Ok, they can purchase Copper Membership? Yes, they can, but do you expect that many of such users will do that? I don't think that we should make forum not friendly to new users.
On the other hand, Newbies spreading referral or phishing links is a problem. Maybe ReCaptcha are needed for all Newbies to stop or reduce activity of bots. To publish post all Newbies would have to solve Recaptcha, it's common thing on other forums.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: