Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:26:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Judge beats daughter for using the internet  (Read 3368 times)
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 06:40:17 PM

...Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment...

there was a thread earlier about this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50652.0

a pop on the butt is hardly comparable to the 7 minute physical assault in the video.

this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 07:45:08 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2011, 08:14:46 PM by repentance

If it was against the law to beat the shit out of your kids with a belt, EVERYONE in the bible belt would be in jail.

totally illegal in australia... basically anything other than a light smack with *hand only* (absolutely no weapon of any kind like a belt) would definitely get you charged with assault, no matter the kid's age.

...so i'm surprised to find this is 'legal' somewhere like the u.s.

In Australia she could have gone to a youth refuge or women's refuge and there's nothing her parents could have done to make her return home.  In my state, she could have chosen to leave home as early as fourteen.

I think one reason why there might be more of an attitude in the US that children are the property of their parents to do with as they wish is because it seems like young people in the US acquire independent legal rights pretty much all at once at age 18, whereas here it's something which happens progressively over a period of years.

Our legal culture is very much based around protecting the vulnerable irrespective of their age.  That beating a child with a belt is accepted and legal elsewhere is shocking to us - we can no more comprehend it than Americans can comprehend Sharia law.

Even just seeing so many people refer to getting "beatings" as children is chilling.  It doesn't seem to be a matter of semantics either - nothing's given me the impression that people who are saying they got beatings as children mean that they got a slap on the bum with an open hand occasionally.  And the stories about people getting beatings from their grandparents are doubly chilling - even if you believe that parents should be able to physically discipline their child within limits, why the hell would you extend that right to others.

For those not following the SA thread on this, Hillary posted a couple of days ago that her father has had addiction issues in the past, so it's likely that a shitload of his cases are now going to be reviewed.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:07:21 PM

My dad is from fucking Iran and this shit would never fly there! Blaa blaa culture is no excuse. You would get the crap beaten out of you by the police for pulling this over there.

And this is a country with the most fucked up authorities and laws which makes peoples lives a living hell.
repentance

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:23:15 PM

My dad is from fucking Iran and this shit would never fly there! Blaa blaa culture is no excuse. You would get the crap beaten out of you by the police for pulling this over there.

And this is a country with the most fucked up authorities and laws which makes peoples lives a living hell.

Culture is relevant in that for as long as the majority of people don't see anything wrong with parents being allowed to beat their children, it's unlikely to be made illegal.  Major social change requires a critical mass of people demanding it - I don't think that critical mass yet exists in the US with respect to children's rights.  Somalia will probably end up ratifying the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child before the US does - how fucked up is that?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 12:03:35 AM

If it was against the law to beat the shit out of your kids with a belt, EVERYONE in the bible belt would be in jail.

totally illegal in australia... basically anything other than a light smack with *hand only* (absolutely no weapon of any kind like a belt) would definitely get you charged with assault, no matter the kid's age.

...so i'm surprised to find this is 'legal' somewhere like the u.s.

In Australia she could have gone to a youth refuge or women's refuge and there's nothing her parents could have done to make her return home.  In my state, she could have chosen to leave home as early as fourteen.

I think one reason why there might be more of an attitude in the US that children are the property of their parents to do with as they wish is because it seems like young people in the US acquire independent legal rights pretty much all at once at age 18, whereas here it's something which happens progressively over a period of years.

Our legal culture is very much based around protecting the vulnerable irrespective of their age.  That beating a child with a belt is accepted and legal elsewhere is shocking to us - we can no more comprehend it than Americans can comprehend Sharia law.

Even just seeing so many people refer to getting "beatings" as children is chilling.  It doesn't seem to be a matter of semantics either - nothing's given me the impression that people who are saying they got beatings as children mean that they got a slap on the bum with an open hand occasionally.  And the stories about people getting beatings from their grandparents are doubly chilling - even if you believe that parents should be able to physically discipline their child within limits, why the hell would you extend that right to others.

For those not following the SA thread on this, Hillary posted a couple of days ago that her father has had addiction issues in the past, so it's likely that a shitload of his cases are now going to be reviewed.

Stop making Australia sound so wonderful. You had me at kangaroos. Cheesy

oh, but going from korean internet speeds to aussie internet makes you feel like you actually boarded a time machine instead of a boeing 767.

makes you want to jump back on a plane to seoul the minute you arrive here. (if you ever make the trip here, seriously consider downloading a few TB first and bring it with you).

genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 05, 2011, 09:55:28 PM

Justice,

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/11/05/1858223/no-charges-for-child-whipping-judge-caught-on-youtube
jwzguy

Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 05, 2011, 10:08:19 PM

I couldn't watch more than half. He's clearly getting off on beating her, and it's sickening. Hopefully this will (at the very least) ruin the rest of his worthless life, even if there's no jail time because of it.

Flyers66

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 04:11:00 PM

This is so messed up on so many levels.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 06:58:28 PM

Man if I were the judge hearing the case against this judge, I would definitely sentence him to a public flogging.  Angry

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 02:13:54 AM

Man if I were the judge hearing the case against this judge, I would definitely sentence him to a public flogging.  Angry

When I first saw that video, I wanted to badly stick a pineapple up his ass. Now, I want to stick the whole fuckin' pineapple tree up his ass. I can't think of words to describe what he did and how he acted during the beating of his daughter, albeit the crime she committed, she deserved at least 10 years in the state prison--she downloaded songs from Napster.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 03:25:52 PM

When I first saw that video, I wanted to badly stick a pineapple up his ass. Now, I want to stick the whole fuckin' pineapple tree up his ass. I can't think of words to describe what he did and how he acted during the beating of his daughter, albeit the crime she committed, she deserved at least 10 years in the state prison--she downloaded songs from Napster.

Is that what she did? How did we get to a point where music is primarily about money, and unauthorized listing is a crime requiring the beating of children? Thanks RIAA!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: