Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:28:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cairnsmore5 Pre-Order  (Read 1990 times)
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 08:10:04 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2019, 12:03:12 PM by yohan

Now out of preorder stage. Contact us on email cairnsmore5@enterpoint.co.uk if you are interested.

Products details will be updated on webpage https://www.enterpoint.co.uk/products/cairnsmore-5/.
Product outline

2 x Intel Arria10 GX1150 FPGAs on board.
Liquid cooling as standard.
Each FPGA has 2 x DDR4 SODIMM socket (we may support QDR4 by custom module TBC)
Each FPGA has core power supply which is adjustable.
Onboard additional Cyclone5 SOC with ARM processor for standalone mining.
USB slave for PC hosted mining.
Expansion port for multi-board working.
Built in programmer for JTAG programming.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
astraleureka

Activity: 236
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 08:12:04 PM

Any performance statistics for the initial algorithms?
yohan (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 08:00:19 AM

Any performance statistics for the initial algorithms?

Not as yet. We will give stats as soon as we have them on actual algorithms. We do expect good performance but that's just based on our 15 years doing FPGA boards and 25 years generally in programmable logic.
PKBO

Activity: 118
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 03:09:54 PM

Maybe iam missing somethink, but i dot understand current situations about FPGAs, a lot of firms selling them but most of them doesnt show performance.

And few of them reveal some info about super profitability on some "non existing" coins..

Advantage of FPGAs should be a lot of usable alghorhitms, whitch makes them better than asics..

And now, there is preorder... maybe idlike to preorder, but how, when i dont know what is possible to earn with it  Smiley
yohan (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 04:06:12 PM

Maybe iam missing somethink, but i dot understand current situations about FPGAs, a lot of firms selling them but most of them doesnt show performance.

And few of them reveal some info about super profitability on some "non existing" coins..

Advantage of FPGAs should be a lot of usable alghorhitms, whitch makes them better than asics..

And now, there is preorder... maybe idlike to preorder, but how, when i dont know what is possible to earn with it  Smiley

The preorder is just in the "I'm interested" stage send an email to cairnsmore5@enterpoint.co.uk to get on the interest list and you will get sent the formal order term and conditions when we release those.
PKBO

Activity: 118
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 01:40:42 AM

Ok, subscribed  Wink
iSparta

Activity: 728
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 09:02:06 PM

If this ASIC really can mine declared cryptocurrencies, then its appearance will almost kill the mining on GPUs. Most of the cryptocurrencies are already mined only on ASICs, and the appearance of new equipment for Ravencoin, Monero and other coins will further press GPUs.
astraleureka

View Profile
November 24, 2018, 06:14:09 AM

It's not an ASIC, it's FPGA.
Blooregardqcazoo

Activity: 14
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 07:47:51 AM

Interested..

How will this compare with the BlackMiner F1, which only supports core-intensive algorithms?
astraleureka

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 10:19:10 AM

It's a high end Intel/Altera FPGA, which has a good amount of onboard memory (~66 MiB across two types). Not enough for hugely memory intensive algorithms like some Ethash or Equihash variants, but good enough for Cryptonight, Scrypt, and other low-level memory-intensive algorithms.
R0land

Activity: 208
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 11:48:21 AM

Nice hardware for a good price  Smiley .
Whitch software / api / bitstream is avaible, NOW ?

I want to download and check the software before I buy the hardware.

There are some tools avaible for simulating the bitstream to be able to assess hashrate without the hardware.
jqprez

Activity: 813
Merit: 65

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 06:08:28 PM

interested...
but i would like know better
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 05:16:37 AM

I would be very interested as I like to be the first one in on new tech like this, but with the recent price crash I gotta sit this out till things recover. At least a little. If this had come out a few months ago...

I should have sold a few coins back when they were at $8k a few months ago. If I had I would probably buy quite a few.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2018, 09:02:09 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2019, 09:44:41 PM by mprep

I would be very interested as I like to be the first one in on new tech like this, but with the recent price crash I gotta sit this out till things recover. At least a little. If this had come out a few months ago...

I should have sold a few coins back when they were at $8k a few months ago. If I had I would probably buy quite a few.

I think most of us wish that. We took a short pause on this to improve a few things in the CM5 design and evaluate the situation. We think it is still very much viable given how much better ROI we think there is in the product versus others. In context Bitcoin particularly has crashed many times before and always come back stronger. I think that will be true for all the stringer coins. It might be the more obscure coins might die snd leave a clearer more concise set of coins for people to work with. That's my guess.

Pictures of the Issue1 are now on our webpage https://www.enterpoint.co.uk/products/cairnsmore-5/.

Offical offer released with first batch scheduled to ship March 2019.

Maybe a little off topic but Amoveo miner implementation now available for Cairnsmore1. Get it here https://github.com/dedmarozz/Amoveo-Cairnsmore1-FPGA-Miner/releases .

We are hoping this will get rebuilt and appear on the Cairnsmore5 platform before too long.
OurManInHavana

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2019, 07:57:24 PM

Maybe a little off topic but Amoveo miner implementation now available for Cairnsmore1...
We are hoping this will get rebuilt and appear on the Cairnsmore5 platform before too long.

It's great that you got the attention of dedmaroz! Using CM1 devfees to fund CM5 development is the circle of life! Smiley
CryptoDocker

Activity: 122
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 27, 2019, 09:50:02 PM

Just wanted to say the Cairnsmore 1 was my first ever FPGA and an awesome piece of hardware in its time. Wishing you guys luck with Cairnsmore 5
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 03:27:17 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

im going to be the skeptic;  don't take it the wrong way.

Why arent you doing this? :
The expected production process is as follows:
(2) Gather enough pre-orders to be viable - aim over next 1-2 weeks.
(1) Give out full details of product and offer.
(3) Payment for pre-order/ hard commit by customers.
(4) First production boards get delivered approximately 8-10 weeks after stage (2)/(3). We will try to better this but this number determined by our parts suppliers.

Things such as currently working bitstreams, guarantee of algos that will be available by what date (specifically) as well as hash to power figures.... 

As of this point;  in this day and age;  you should have at least a physical demo and review of the hardware verified by a heavily trusted member before taking in any funding....   as in the past;  taking in funds before us seeing some actual results on this website from a trusted reviewer, has almost always resulted in disaster of many different levels and proportions.

At first glance, I see a big up front hardware cost;  with no promise of return other than a stated interest in algos (no word on active development or working hashing bitstreams for instance...);  especially since you mention algos that are constantly changing to be as asic/FPGA resistant as possible...  we aren't not even any sort of efficiency datum or anything;  just a spec sheet for a publicly sourceable fpga.

The hardware looks like it should be very versatile; and it looks like the product as shown is a sound concept/design.. but;  you are asking a bunch of people to jump off a cliff right now without knowing if there's a parachute attached to their back while boarding the plane.

I hope you understand my concern, and its meant in the best of light to help you succeed.   These are the main red flags I have to share and ask about.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
yohan (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 06:22:52 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

im going to be the skeptic;  don't take it the wrong way.

Why arent you doing this? :
The expected production process is as follows:
(2) Gather enough pre-orders to be viable - aim over next 1-2 weeks.
(1) Give out full details of product and offer.
(3) Payment for pre-order/ hard commit by customers.
(4) First production boards get delivered approximately 8-10 weeks after stage (2)/(3). We will try to better this but this number determined by our parts suppliers.

Things such as currently working bitstreams, guarantee of algos that will be available by what date (specifically) as well as hash to power figures.... 

As of this point;  in this day and age;  you should have at least a physical demo and review of the hardware verified by a heavily trusted member before taking in any funding....   as in the past;  taking in funds before us seeing some actual results on this website from a trusted reviewer, has almost always resulted in disaster of many different levels and proportions.

At first glance, I see a big up front hardware cost;  with no promise of return other than a stated interest in algos (no word on active development or working hashing bitstreams for instance...);  especially since you mention algos that are constantly changing to be as asic/FPGA resistant as possible...  we aren't not even any sort of efficiency datum or anything;  just a spec sheet for a publicly sourceable fpga.

The hardware looks like it should be very versatile; and it looks like the product as shown is a sound concept/design.. but;  you are asking a bunch of people to jump off a cliff right now without knowing if there's a parachute attached to their back while boarding the plane.

I hope you understand my concern, and its meant in the best of light to help you succeed.   These are the main red flags I have to share and ask about.

Fair points and stages 1,2,3 have stretched out for a combination of reasons. The first part of this was it took us longer to complete the initial design than anticipated and that was mainly due to us having to redesign the controller and power sections a few times to shrink circuit size and to allow running at higher power levels as requested by our potential bitstream providers. The next part of the delay was the crypto wobble we saw in late 2018 and we ourselves took a few weeks to evaluate the situation and basically delayed building dev boards and going forward to making the offer to customers. The same wobble also meant that it has taken longer to get to the critical mass of orders. We also slipped in a large unrelated rush customer job to improve our funding and give us more options on how we did the build.

The next part of what is happening is that we are mainly reliant on outside developers for bitstreams. We do have a very junior member of our team doing an initial first algorithm backup it needs one of our senior people to be free to help get that running. This option was only ever meant to be a last resort and our senior team focus is still on the evaluation of the Issue1, getting Issue 1.1 to developers, and the now running customer build. External devs are delayed on lack of hardware and basically overloading and of course this is a concern. However in the worst scenario we can simply turn most our very experienced FPGA team to algorithm development and that will happen about late February/early March should no other bitstreams be available. We do have have public statements by Whitefire/Zetheron on Discord stating they will be providing bitstreams and they are just one of several devs working with us.

The main FPGAs are not a secret on the design and there is more on this in Discord but they can actually be read off the block diagram available on the product webpage. They are Intel Arria10 GX1150 and there are two of those on board. Arria10 selection table giving resource outline here - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/pt/arria-10-product-table.pdf . The board has a USB hub inbuilt and off that an inbuilt JTAG programmer that works directly with Intel Quartus tools. That's the crude programming mechanism. The on board Cyclone5 SoC will run Linux and offer a pile of other bitstream loading options.

We did consider forms of escrow with senior member community but we have difficulty in justifying the costs given out low margin and also that we are a reputable business trading for 30 years next month without any black marks on our record. That's public record if anyone cares to look it up and a longer public record than pretty much anyone else in crypto community. The crypto community also has a lot of experience in our previous product Cairnsmore1 from 2012/2013 where we used a very similar product launch mechanism and dare I say lots of people made good money out that product. Nobody lost out with us on that development. On the CM1 development/product launch we took peoples funds, we kept to timeline pretty much, and external developers delivered bitstreams in time for the first boards shipping. That was before external developers even had a monetary reason to do the work which is one major change today with dev fees being common practise.

We have recognised early customers risk with an extended purchase discount scheme going forward and there will be a more formal structure coming for that in the next few weeks.

Hope that explains where we are on this project to everyone here. I'll be happy to answer questions as soon as I see them although there may be more delay on here versus the cairnsmore5 email address or on Discord as I have to reconfigure my email alerts here. Just one of many jobs on my task list currently.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2019, 12:44:21 AM

*snip of reply above*

I appreciate the detailed answer;  It should help people make a decision for sure.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
yohan (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2019, 02:22:09 PM

Some pictures of the Simple Interface Board which the first of the accessory items for this product. It's aimed at users with small numbers of boards. There will be backplane and rack offerings as well.

Board fitted with simple interface.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: