Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:36:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Piggy's mention notification bot  (Read 198 times)
bernardos (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 45

View Profile
November 21, 2018, 03:50:12 PM

I am sure many members know about this but many have probably not heard about it or tested it.
Piggy made this bot for bitcointalk users and the original thread can found here > https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5023605.0

The purpose of the bot is to send you a notification every time someone quotes your post or mentions you on the forum. I tried it out and it is very useful especially if you post a lot of content. As the amount of posts increase it becomes hard to keep track of all the comments, questions... and this is were the bot becomes handy.

How to activate the bot?

The first thing you should do is open a thread in the Archival section. This is the thread where you will receive the notifications.

The thread needs to be opened with the account that you want to receive notifications for and it needs to be your thread, you cant use someone else's thread.

After opening the thread send a PM to Maggiordomo. In the subject write subscribe and in the PM just copy/paste your newly created thread from the Archival section.

After you send the PM you will receive some general information about the bot in your thread in Archival. The bot is now active!

Every time another user mentions you in the forums you will receive a notification in your thread about it.
In order to receive a notification another user needs to write your username in a post.
For example bernardos in my case. Whenever someone writes @bernardos or just bernardos I will receive a notification that someone mentioned me in a post and a link to that post.
This also works in combination with bernardos! and bernardos? as well as when someone quotes one of your posts.

The bot is very fast and when I tested it the notifications were sent within 3-5 seconds after the posts. 

The bot can also be configured to send notifications over Telegram. BUT you can only use one of these two notification options. If both options are activated you will only receive the notifications over telegram.

To activate the telegram bot you need to contact @Maggiordomo_Service_bot over telegram and write something to the bot.

Just like in the previous example, send a PM to Maggiordomo. In the subject write options  and in the PM:
Code:
telegram:yourTelegramUsername
(without @ for the telegram id)

Now you will receive all notifications from the bot over telegram.

If you want to stop receiving notifications send a PM to the same user on telegram like in the previous examples with the subject unsubscribe and in the PM write anything you want to be able to send the PM.

Content writer and Croatian translator. Contact me for more information.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
November 21, 2018, 04:06:21 PM

Do I have to create my own thread if I intend to use only Telegram bot? I have sent a message on both Telegram and bitcointalk and got no reply. I would appreciate if someone could either quote this post or mention my nickname to see if it is working properly.

Edit: It looks like I had to send a PM with subject subscribe instead of options. Thanks Loyce for quoting my post below. Got confirmation and notification from the bot after resending my message with the correct subject.
LoyceMobile

Activity: 1655
Merit: 687

LoyceV on the road. Or couch.

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2018, 04:08:40 PM
Merited by Rath_ (1)

Do I have to create my own thread if I intend to use only Telegram bot? I have sent a message on both Telegram and bitcointalk and got no reply. I would appreciate if someone could either quote this post or mention my nickname to see if it is working properly.

Edit: It looks like I have to send a PM with subject subscribe instead of options. Now it should work properly.
Done

LoyceV on the road Advertise here for LN Don't deal with this account (exception)
Advertise here for LN Tip my kids Exchange LN (20 coins). 1% fee. No KYC <€50/month
My useful topics: Meritt & Trust & Moreee Art Advertise here for LN Foru[url=https://bitcointalk.org/m
bernardos (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2018, 04:16:43 PM

Edit: It looks like I had to send a PM with subject subscribe instead of options. Thanks Loyce for quoting my post below. Got confirmation and notification from the bot after resending my message with the correct subject.
Yes, subscribe is the correct subject for the thread notifications. Options should be used for the telegram notifications.

Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
November 21, 2018, 04:25:16 PM

Yes, subscribe is the correct subject for the thread notifications. Options should be used for the telegram notifications.

Actually, that's not true. Since I haven't subscribed to the bot before and didn't want to create my own thread, I had to put subscribe instead of options in the subject. Your sentence would be true if I had been already using bot. Piggy pointed it out in his thread.

If you are not subscribed yet send a pm with subscribe in the subject to the bot and add in the body:
Code:
telegram:yourTelegramUsername
bernardos (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 10:42:03 AM

Actually, that's not true. Since I haven't subscribed to the bot before and didn't want to create my own thread, I had to put subscribe instead of options in the subject. Your sentence would be true if I had been already using bot. Piggy pointed it out in his thread.
Yes, in that case you are right. If you didnt subscribe to the bot to get notifications over the thread you would indeed need to send the subscribe PM. I just assumed that you created the thread as well.
Thanks for the info.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: