Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:20:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of the Darkcoin system for mixing transactions?  (Read 2541 times)
GreekBitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 11:43:27 PM

well i bought some and it was good. But i want to ask here what do you think about its technical aspects.

at first i said well it is just a hype coin that dev will not deliver. but then dev seems commited...

so since i dont have technical knowledge i want your criticism on that aspect.

Edit: i am asking here because obviously if it is serious it would be good for bitcoin obviously.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GBattaglia

Activity: 735
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 11:54:04 PM

well i bought some and it was good. But i want to ask here what do you think about its technical aspects.

at first i said well it is just a hype coin that dev will not deliver. but then dev seems commited...

Edit: i am asking here because obviously if it is serious it would be good for bitcoin obviously.

While I think the system is "legitimate", I don't believe it would do the Bitcoin ecosystem much good.  Bitcoin is obviously becoming more "legitimate" and part of that comes with further tracking and regulation. 
GreekBitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 11:59:20 PM

While I think the system is "legitimate", I don't believe it would do the Bitcoin ecosystem much good.  Bitcoin is obviously becoming more "legitimate" and part of that comes with further tracking and regulation. 

since when bitcoin wants regulations? regulations are for the centralized fiat exchanges. not for cryptos...

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:14:36 AM

DarkCoin's system for mixing transactions is CoinJoin, just like Bitcoin's system for mixing transactions. There's no special support for it in the DarkCoin core, it's just a rebranded Litecoin with different mining properties.
GBattaglia

Activity: 735
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:19:25 AM

since when bitcoin wants regulations? regulations are for the centralized fiat exchanges. not for cryptos...

I'm sorry but I cannot really make sense of this.  I believe there is a miscommunication with you reading what I said, but I cannot make what I said clearer. 
goin2mars

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 05:13:46 AM

I'm sorry but I cannot really make sense of this.  I believe there is a miscommunication with you reading what I said, but I cannot make what I said clearer. 

I think you're failing to mention or realize that DarkSend is an optional feature. With Darkcoin, you will have the option to send anonymously or non-anonymously. This method allows tracking and invites regulation, if that's what you think legitimate coins require. Personally I agree to an extent that the tracking and regs will come, but Darkcoin devs are not forcing the anon aspect down anyones throat . . you have the option.
goin2mars

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 05:20:11 AM

DarkCoin's system for mixing transactions is CoinJoin, just like Bitcoin's system for mixing transactions. There's no special support for it in the DarkCoin core, it's just a rebranded Litecoin with different mining properties.

Incorrect. Darkcoin uses blake, bmw, groestl, jh, keccak, skein, luffa, cubehash, shavite, simd and echo. If you'll note, none of these are Sha-256 with salsa mixing. Stop spreading disinformation.

Additionally, the efficient algorithms offer much higher stability in GPU cores . . leading to great decreases in power usage. The difficulty retargeting is regulated by KGW. The block generation time is similar. The block reward is dependent on the difficulty.

The capability of CPU mining vs. GPU mining is one of the best I've ever seen with an R9 290 only pulling 10 times the hash of a core i7.

Pretty much the only thing in this coin that is shared with Litecoin is the wallet interface, which was brought into Litecoin from Bitcoin.

Darkcoin and Litecoin are altcoins, but Darkcoin is not a Litecoin.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 11:13:23 AM

Incorrect. Darkcoin uses blake, bmw, groestl, jh, keccak, skein, luffa, cubehash, shavite, simd and echo. If you'll note, none of these are Sha-256 with salsa mixing. Stop spreading disinformation.

Additionally, the efficient algorithms offer much higher stability in GPU cores . . leading to great decreases in power usage. The difficulty retargeting is regulated by KGW. The block generation time is similar. The block reward is dependent on the difficulty.

The capability of CPU mining vs. GPU mining is one of the best I've ever seen with an R9 290 only pulling 10 times the hash of a core i7.

Pretty much the only thing in this coin that is shared with Litecoin is the wallet interface, which was brought into Litecoin from Bitcoin.

; )

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 03:18:27 AM

You're talking about the different mining properties, which I mentioned in the post that you quoted. It was pretty short, so it might be worth another shot at reading. The ONLY differences between DarkCoin and Litecoin are branding and mining. Neither has anything to do with mixing, which is what we're talking about in this thread. DarkSend is CoinJoin. Bitcoin has CoinJoin too.
goin2mars

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:04:10 AM

You're talking about the different mining properties, which I mentioned in the post that you quoted. It was pretty short, so it might be worth another shot at reading. The ONLY differences between DarkCoin and Litecoin are branding and mining. Neither has anything to do with mixing, which is what we're talking about in this thread. DarkSend is CoinJoin. Bitcoin has CoinJoin too.

No. What you're saying to me is like saying that there is no difference between the Euro and the Dollar . . besides the fact that one has American presidents or high standing political figures, and is backed by the American economy . . while the Euro is backed by multiple nations and has pictures of European locations on them.

Your argument is completely illogical and fallacious, in that you are effectively saying that these coins are the exact same except for everything that goes into them.

It's this same reasoning that is leading you to believe that DarkSend is the same thing that CoinJoin is . . when it's really not.

If there's no difference between a Euro and a Dollar . . then why can't I walk into a Walmart in Northern USA and thrown down some Euros and walk out with some bread?

Sure I can buy bread with both a Euro and a Dollar . . but these fundamental differences keep them completely different. By boiling it down to "they're both money," you're limiting your point of view to that of a child.
Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:28:19 AM

LOOK AT MY SNOWFLAKECOIN, LOOK! Cheesy
goin2mars

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:31:27 AM

LOOK AT MY SNOWFLAKECOIN, LOOK! Cheesy

Funny how you come in here to a thread with the title "What do you think of the Darkcoin system for mixing transactions?" and mock people sharing opinions on the subject. Seems pretty soft fella. Do you have an opinion or are you just hell bent on being a twelve year old on the internet?

Maybe you'd feel more at home at this site: 4chan.org/b
Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:53:07 AM

and mock people sharing opinions on the subject.

You're not sharing any opinions on the subject, you are foaming at the mouth because someone called it a litecoin clone. Which, by the way, has the exact same monetary scheme--so for all intents and purposes to an end user who couldn't care less about what bits get twiddled to bring the currency into existence, if litecoin adds darksend functionality they have the exact same feature set. It raises the question as to whether or not we really need a new pump n dump coin for every tweak, and we don't want to tap the glass now do we?

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:18:10 AM

No. What you're saying to me is like saying that there is no difference between the Euro and the Dollar . . besides the fact that one has American presidents or high standing political figures, and is backed by the American economy . . while the Euro is backed by multiple nations and has pictures of European locations on them.

Your argument is completely illogical and fallacious, in that you are effectively saying that these coins are the exact same except for everything that goes into them.

It's this same reasoning that is leading you to believe that DarkSend is the same thing that CoinJoin is . . when it's really not.

If there's no difference between a Euro and a Dollar . . then why can't I walk into a Walmart in Northern USA and thrown down some Euros and walk out with some bread?

Sure I can buy bread with both a Euro and a Dollar . . but these fundamental differences keep them completely different. By boiling it down to "they're both money," you're limiting your point of view to that of a child.

I never said there was no difference between DarkCoin and Litecoin. I'm saying that its mining algorithm is not related to the DarkSend functionality. Have you read the DarkCoin source code? There are no changes relating to DarkSend. DarkSend is a layer on top of the core software, and could be run on top of any other currency just as easily, because it is a CoinJoin implementation.
IloveAnonCoin

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 12:36:05 PM

I known Darkcoin uses CoinJoin, calming anonymous, but actually CoinJoin is still using the 3 party to mix the coins which is not truly 100% anonymous, later I find out that Anoncoin is implementing Zerocoin which is considered as 100% anonymous.

I don't want to make you lose faith in DarkCoin, but this is fundamental flaw, nothing that the Darkcoin's dev can do. I know the Darkcoin's dev will try his best to fix it, but again, CoinJoin is not 100% anonymous.

I saw a lot of people, believe in the DarkCoin is anonymous because the dev said, but never looked at what is CoinJoin drawback, and how other solutions are purposing in academic research.

anonuser777

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 03:23:17 PM

I known Darkcoin uses CoinJoin, calming anonymous, but actually CoinJoin is still using the 3 party to mix the coins which is not truly 100% anonymous, later I find out that Anoncoin is implementing Zerocoin which is considered as 100% anonymous.

I don't want to make you lose faith in DarkCoin, but this is fundamental flaw, nothing that the Darkcoin's dev can do. I know the Darkcoin's dev will try his best to fix it, but again, CoinJoin is not 100% anonymous.

I saw a lot of people, believe in the DarkCoin is anonymous because the dev said, but never looked at what is CoinJoin drawback, and how other solutions are purposing in academic research.

Here's a post describing the difference between the decentralized coinjoin used by darkcoin vs. zerocoin.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5241291#msg5241291

I don't know enough about the technicalities to draw any conclusions, so I'll let others decide for themselves. As far as I can see no 3rd party is involved in darkcoin transactions (except the miners like any other coin).
IloveAnonCoin

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 02:26:40 AM

Here's a post describing the difference between the decentralized coinjoin used by darkcoin vs. zerocoin.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5241291#msg5241291

I don't know enough about the technicalities to draw any conclusions, so I'll let others decide for themselves. As far as I can see no 3rd party is involved in darkcoin transactions (except the miners like any other coin).

Ref : http://eprint.iacr.org/2014/077.pdf

....Finally, a proposal called CoinJoin [16] enables n users to atomically transfer
funds from their n input addresses to their n output addresses in a single trans-
action, signed by each key corresponding to the inputs, which is possible without
modi cation to Bitcoin. Since no entity will sign the transaction if its own output
address is not speci ed correctly, there is no risk of theft. However arranging the
output addresses in a way that prevents the participants from learning the corre-
spondence to input addresses (necessary for anonymity) introduces complexity,
with most designs relying on external cryptographic protocols [6] and/or a third-
party facilitator. An attacker can easily block the transaction by participating
initially to form the transaction, but failing to sign the nalized transaction. A
simpler alternative adds a trusted \facilitator" to perform the mixing, though
this re-introduces trust issues inherent in mixing services
iHeartSmartArt

Activity: 78

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 11:50:34 PM

I think Dark Send just made Dark Coin a whole lot more popular.

Numbers dont lie, check the score board.

You are just in time for the first anonymous digital currency. https://darkcointalk.org/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: