Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:57:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Observation: Hash rate growing again  (Read 2613 times)
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 04:58:54 AM

Anyone notice that the hash rate slope is strangely positive recently?  Difficulty is projected to go up and we reached 1% hashrate growth for the first time since August!

(BFL)^2 < 0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 06:42:14 AM

I'm guessing it will go up again and exceed the old high eventually when we will see more and more FPGA mining in 2012. If the price goes down again, I assume hashrate will temporarily decrease, yet even with low prices it might stabilze and/or increase due to more effective mining methods.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 06:44:18 AM

It'll be clear unitl next diff adjust.

tynt

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:25:37 AM

Ofcourse hashrate rising because it's profitable to mine again Grin

5830 mining for life
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 12:02:45 PM

Well, profitable for some with super-cheap rigs maybe, with no cases and cheap electricity. The difficulty isn't low enough to give much extra income. The price hasn't really recovered as to anywhere profitable yet. Even merged mining won't do the trick, the nmc income doesn't cut it due to the latest nmc flood and price decrease, perhaps a 10% bonus to Btc at this point, more likely less. And let's not forget that for many people, there is no way to trade at the moment, no SEPA on MtGox nor Tradehill.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:16:53 PM

'The Slope is a Lie'
  Observe the same peak just before the recent difficulty change. It is a normal pattern that is constant in the matrix. A sort of 'osscilation' that I've been observing for 6 months now. That's not to say, you are wrong, but there is no where near enough block data this difficulty yet to draw such an increase conclusion.
 Linear

Exponential

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:08:27 PM

its bullish.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:13:28 PM

Meaningless/sampling bias/small sample size.
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:09:48 PM

According to the numbers at bitcoincharts, it's still going to go down a little, and we're still not mining over 6 blocks an hour.
nibor

Activity: 438
Merit: 291

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:14:32 PM

How are the charts at http://bitcoin.sipa.be/ calculated.

Is it just a function of the difficulty and the average block creation time over some period?

If so does anyone know how many blocks the average is over?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:28:09 PM

Is it just a function of the difficulty and the average block creation time over some period?

That is the only way any site or pool can estimate hashing power.

The site tells you how large the window is.  1day, 7day, 14 day, 30 days, etc.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:32:02 PM

It doesn't look like it going up to me.

Yeah there is a tick up in the 8 hour line but look how much the 8 hour line varies across the chart.  We are still below the 3 day average.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:41:31 PM

Commenting on predicted difficulty increases/decreases is kind of dumb when it's only been a few days since the last adjustment.  As of  right now I believe it's set to go down, but who know what will actually happen over the next 10-12 days.
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 04:30:12 AM

7-day estimate for growth is heading up and ready to break 0%.
Estimated next difficulty is notably not down by a lot (only 0.2%).
We might see growth soon...

(BFL)^2 < 0
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 11:04:08 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2011, 11:16:00 AM by Litt

It has gone up until recent fall back down from $3.8 because the price dropped down all the way close to $2 and many stopped mining, then came back when price recovered back to $3.8.
Also the difficulty for a short time was looking to go up, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore unfortunately.

All this is showing is the delayed reaction of the miners coming back shortly to mine while it's still profitable, but as the general downtrend continues, it will go back down like it has unless the actual price recovers.

This time around the recovery from losing miner to the previous price dip was amplified by the price falling by about 100% and recovering nearly 80%+ of the fall unlike the previous ones that dropped less in price percentage.

That changes the profitability quite a bit for miners which is showing on the graph. They will either drop or rise again depending on the price of bitcoin. It's certainly not the other way around. The leading indicator is the price, not difficulty or mining power of the network.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 01:53:48 PM

Actually the change I am seeing is stability.

The daily/weekly/monthly changes in both difficulty and BTC:USD prices are becoming smaller.  I mean the projection for next difficulty change is <1%.  A far cry from 50% ups and 35% downs.  We will see if this trend holds but I actually stopped looking at Bitcoin prices everyday.  For last week or so I have known I could get ~3 BTC +/- 20% when I sold coins to cover my electrical costs.  Granted 20% is huge for any other price but it sure beats the 100%+ daily volatility.
sadpandatech

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 01:58:54 PM

The daily/weekly/monthly changes in both difficulty and BTC:USD prices are becoming smaller.  I mean the projection for next difficulty change is <1%.  A far cry from 50% ups and 35% downs.  We will see if this trend holds but I actually stopped looking at Bitcoin prices everyday.  For last week or so I have known I could get ~3 BTC +/- 20% when I sold coins to cover my electrical costs.  Granted 20% is huge for any other price but it sure beats the 100%+ daily volatility.

its -11% as of right now. Still a bit early to tell with the standard 'frequency' in movement on any given day. Doesn't helpt that BtcGuild was down about 1,000GH, from about 6 hours ago until last check 30 minutes ago though.

And yea, it would be nice to find some stabalization range on the price. Hopefully that trend holds if nothing else.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 02:51:13 PM

its -11% as of right now. Still a bit early to tell with the standard 'frequency' in movement on any given day. Doesn't helpt that BtcGuild was down about 1,000GH, from about 6 hours ago until last check 30 minutes ago though.

And yea, it would be nice to find some stabalization range on the price. Hopefully that trend holds if nothing else.

See what happens when I open my mouth.   Grin 

Still even 11% would be a rather minor change either up or down compared to the average of the last dozen or so difficulty changes.
sadpandatech

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 02:56:59 PM

See what happens when I open my mouth.   Grin 

Still even 11% would be a rather minor change either up or down compared to the average of the last dozen or so difficulty changes.

*inserts sock*  Grin

Much agreed. If I had to speculate it; If price remains stabalized for another 10 days it will be -3% to -10%.  If price continues downward and hits below $2.6~ in the next 10 days then -7% to -18%.  If price rebounds to $3.25+ then -2% to +10%.   Why 10 days?  because any price event too close to next diff change would not have time to reflect fully in the adjustment imho.

Cheers

- GA

Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 03:59:16 PM

It is just a function of the difficulty and timestamps of found blocks. It's however more than just a windowed average.

I use an exponential window (so essentially, using all blocks ever, but those longer ago count significantly less), and perform some extrapolation by fitting a growing speed function through the data. The time factor for the exponential windows is listed in the graphs.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: