Bitcoin Forum
October 09, 2024, 02:17:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google’s Jared Cohen: It’s “Obvious” Bitcoin-Like Currencies Are “Inevitable”  (Read 877 times)
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:04:03 AM

Google Director of Ideas and former technology advisor to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Jared Cohen, says that digital “crypto-currencies” like Bitcoin are here to stay. “I think it’s very obvious to all of us that crypto-currencies are inevitable,” he told the audience at SXSW, in conversation with Chairman Eric Schmidt, to promote their co-authored book, The New Digital Age.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/08/googles-jared-cohen-its-obvious-bitcoin-like-currencies-are-inevitable/

Under construction.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:25:06 AM

I don't get why people seek regulation; it's attacking the symptom but not the cause, the cause being a naive public with over-protective "parents" (i.e. nanny state) that never allow them to experience loss so they'll learn from their mistakes and therefore would have no need for regulation for protection as they'd be equipped with the knowledge and experience required to protect themselves: in other words, regulation is the asserted solution to the problem regulation causes.

corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:41:42 AM

“There’s lots of value to it,” he argues, but “there’s a danger to it not being regulated.”

What exactly is so dangerous about that?
Is it really that dangerous to allow millions of people to act freely?
Is it really that important to make sure all people think and act the same, sitting in their livingroom watching the exact same information on TV?

I suspect that what he is worried about is politicians and globalists loosing some of their power over peoples everyday life.

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:53:06 AM

All those who think crypto-currency should be unregulated are implicit (de facto) members of the Dark Enlightenment, and are delusional if they think it can happen without anonymity being built-in to the coin.

The linked article in the OP implies the powers-that-be (not politicians, I mean the truly powerful who control the DEEP STATE) are aware they need to regulate Bitcoin.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 02:28:38 PM

I don't get why people seek regulation; it's attacking the symptom but not the cause, the cause being a naive public with over-protective "parents" (i.e. nanny state) that never allow them to experience loss so they'll learn from their mistakes and therefore would have no need for regulation for protection as they'd be equipped with the knowledge and experience required to protect themselves: in other words, regulation is the asserted solution to the problem regulation causes.
You need to study some history. Modern financial regulation, at least in the USA, was born as a result of the GREAT DEPRESSION.

Well, we crypto holders will never have to worry about THAT problem, thank fuck. No banksters to mess our shit up. And that's why regulation makes NO sense for crypto.

Crypto doesn't have centralization and the corruption that always brings, so it does not need regulation. It's self-regulating, like an organic entity.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:54:45 PM

You need to study some history. Modern financial regulation, at least in the USA, was born as a result of the GREAT DEPRESSION.

Well, we crypto holders will never have to worry about THAT problem, thank fuck. No banksters to mess our shit up. And that's why regulation makes NO sense for crypto.

Crypto doesn't have centralization and the corruption that always brings, so it does not need regulation. It's self-regulating, like an organic entity.

I could've sworn the great depression occurred in America because they were "regulating the dollar" i.e. manipulating the supply, which caused first a fake boom, and then a massive bust called the great depression, which was not the first depression, merely the most notable.

It still does not answer the core question, as I'm presented with the following: regulation caused the great depression, therefore--and this is where the dissonance begins--they tried to solve the problem of regulation with regulation, and to solve that regulation, on and on., until we've come full circle and are experiencing yet another recession caused from artificial booms and busts.  Regulation is not helping anywhere, and the problems regulation is causing is answered with "We need more regulation!"  Why, then, do people opt for a tactic which has historically failed in every long-term scenario?  Certainly, regulation may appear to fix the problem in the meantime, like chewing gum is used to seal a crack, but there must be a reason why people choose the quick fix, choose to kick the can down the road, than to actually solve the underlying problem.

And it would be one thing if people acknowledged even this; it's another when people believe the only tried and true solution is regulation, as if there's no other way it could work.

leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 06:56:19 PM

You need to study history too. The great depression was born as a result of the CENTRAL BANK (THE FED) also called the Creature from Jekyll Island.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: