Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:54:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: You have an Active Node Full Time ?
24/7 - 20 (39.2%)
12/7 - 1 (2%)
A few hours a day - 4 (7.8%)
Never - 10 (19.6%)
In the future maybe - 10 (19.6%)
It is not of your interest - 6 (11.8%)
Total Voters: 51

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Full Nodes Bitcoin Online ?  (Read 22454 times)
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10759

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2018, 07:25:33 PM

<...>
My personal Full Node up-time status doesn’t seem to fit into any of the provided options. I run a full node "every now and then", meaning I could go days or even weeks without turning it on (and then patiently waiting to the sync to take place when I do).

I have on an external 4TB USB 3.0 disk, so as not to clutter my smaller SSD main drive, and since I have little spare time, I’m happy following the above procedure to look into things whenever I get some linear time to do so (which is seldom currently).
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VB1001 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 2540

<<CypherPunkCat>>

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2018, 09:37:07 AM

What do you think?

Synching Data Between Bitcoin Nodes Is About to Get Easier, Minisketch is a new solution that’s trying to solve an old problem.

Blockstream co-founder Pieter Wuille, Bitcoin Core contributor and fellow Blockstream co-founder Gregory Maxwell, and Blockstream software engineer Gleb Naumenko.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/synching-data-between-bitcoin-nodes-about-get-easier/

1PCm7LqVkhj4xRpKNyyEeekwhc1mzK52cT
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
December 27, 2018, 11:36:25 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2018, 03:23:58 PM by franky1

What do you think?

Synching Data Between Bitcoin Nodes Is About to Get Easier, Minisketch is a new solution that’s trying to solve an old problem.

Blockstream co-founder Pieter Wuille, Bitcoin Core contributor and fellow Blockstream co-founder Gregory Maxwell, and Blockstream software engineer Gleb Naumenko.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/synching-data-between-bitcoin-nodes-about-get-easier/

firstly trying to get mempools synced is meant to be about if everyone has the same tx set before a pool mines a block, then all that needs to be sent as a confirmed block is the headers and list of txid's. thus reducing the data needed to be sent when a confirmed block is created.

but here lays the issues
1. "the tx fee freemarket flaw"
this is where certain nodes drop certain tx's at DIFFERENT dust/min relay levels. meaning different people will have different mempool sets.

so trying to get people to keep every tx again. is counter intuitive to the whole drop tx if under dust/min relay fee 'free market'
easier solution is get rid of the tx free market and implement a consensus (all node agree on) fee structure so when tx's are relayed initially they all keep the same tx's in mempool and not have to drop tx's using fee freemarket. to then suddenly need to grab hundreds of transactions from X and hundreds of tx from Y AGAIN

2. distributed mempool
highlighting not the freemarket part. but the individual picky nodes. some nodes such as those that are "downstream filtered"(gregs buzzword) non-segwit nodes dont relay non-segwit unconfirmed tx's,

also some nodes that are run by pools fill their blocks with their own zero fee tx data which they dont relay the tx's out pre confirm purely to cause latency issues for thir competition(BTCC pool done this a few years back). so it wont solve the issue because different nodes have different ways of doing things.

i do find it funny that it was these very same devs that wanted a fee freemarket by removing a fee priority mechanism to make individualising mempools, that are now seeing the flaw in it.. even if they dont want to admit it the cause/effect on their implementation

but allowing nodes to relay tx's and drop them due to "fee free market" but then have to interrogate nodes to list their entire mempools(actually causing more bandwidth) and pick up the tx's AGAIN(more bandwidth again).. is silly..

imagine it 3 different nodes with sat 5 tx(out of Cool in each of thier mempools due to different tx fee level preferences
1,2, a,b,c
1,2,3,4,c
1,a,b,c,d

they all initially did get 1,2,3,4,a,b,c,d at initial relay.. but freemaket let them drop certain tx.
now the third node has to ask the first node for the list.. 1,2,a,b,c (more data than initial relay)
now the third node has to ask the first node for the missing.. 2 (more data than initial relay)
now the third node has to ask the second node for the list.. 1,2,3,4,c (more data than initial relay)
now the third node has to ask the second node for the missing.. 3,4 (more data than initial relay)

now the second node has to ask the first node for the list.. 1,2,a,b,c (more data than initial relay)
now the second node has to ask the first node for the missing.. a,b (more data than initial relay)
now the second node has to ask the third node for the list.. 1,a,b,c,d (more data than initial relay)
now the second node has to ask the third node for the missing.. a,b,d (more data than initial relay)

now the first node has to ask the second node for the list.. 1,2,3,4,c (more data than initial relay)
now the first node has to ask the second node for the missing.. 3,4 (more data than initial relay)
now the first node has to ask the third node for the list.. 1,a,b,c,d (more data than initial relay)
now the first node has to ask the third node for the missing.. d (more data than initial relay)

the solution is much more simple.. get rid of the free market that lets nodes drop tx's in the initial relay. thus they would ALL have them all first go-around. without having to interrogate EACH connected node, after dropping.. because their would be no drop in the first place.

3. issue
"Minisketch generalizes this by sending various types of ‘sums’ of the data. The result is that with N different sums, you can find N differences … As long as the number of differences between the sets is not more than the number of ‘sums’ sent, minisketch will always succeed in finding all the differences."

lets call (the node interrogation) or as they call it 'sending sums'  X
lets call bloom filtring the missing transactions Y
X)now the first node has to ask the third node for the list.. 1,a,b,c,d (more data than initial relay)
y)now the first node has to ask the third node for the missing.. d (more data than initial relay)

by getting rid of the "free market" and getting back to a consensus fee priority formulae/structure that everyone follows means that X is not needed. and Y becomes a smaller percentage of missing tx's that it becomes insignificant to need X

what makes me laugh though. is then saying that nodes can then do 16/24 connections instead of 8.. i laugh because imagine having to do the X command(sending sums to 2-3 times more nodes.....(facepalm)

again solution is much more simply. get rid off the freemarket that allows individualised mempools at the initial relay, to then not need to re-interrogate nodes and re-relay transactions.. then you will get to conect to 16-24 nodes as oppose to 8. and no need extra bandwidth and commands/sums playing around.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8416

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2018, 09:45:21 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2018, 09:58:22 PM by gmaxwell
Merited by vapourminer (1), Hueristic (1), infofront (1), bitserve (1), bones261 (1), VB1001 (1)

firstly trying to get mempools synced is meant to be about if everyone has the same tx set before a pool mines a block, then all that needs to be sent as a confirmed block is the headers and list of txid's. thus reducing the data needed to be sent when a confirmed block is created.
Our work is not related to making "mempools synced", though they are naturally similar.

Our work is exclusively related to eliminating the massive overheads from relaying transactions the first time through as they go around the network.

to then suddenly need to grab hundreds of transactions from X and hundreds of tx from Y AGAIN
That doesn't happen in the Bitcoin protocol, no one has proposed for it to happen, and it isn't needed.

It's really a shame that people are forced to waste their time correcting you simply because you are so persistent and voluminous in your inaccuracies that you manage to confuse many people even though your posts are not very convincing.

i do find it funny that it was these very same devs that wanted a fee freemarket by removing a fee priority mechanism to make individualising mempools, that are now seeing the flaw in it..
Your statement here makes no sense.  Nodes prioritize transactions by feerate, none of that has been removed.  The only "individualizing" in practice is that a low memory host might reduce their mempool size. This is, in any case, totally unrelated to removing the relay inefficiencies.

but allowing nodes to relay tx's and drop them due to "fee free market" but then have to interrogate nodes to list their entire mempools(actually causing more bandwidth) and pick up the tx's AGAIN(more bandwidth again).. is silly..
Again, Bitcoin nodes don't interrogate nodes to list mempools nor pick up transactions again, no one has proposed they do, because there is no reason to do that.

Just pre-empting another confused tangent: There is a "mempool" p2p message which was added to the protocol by bitpay for the purpose of surveilling the network under a dishonest justification, which was later realized to be a privacy problem and the privacy leak was removed (and after that bitpay's staff recommended removing it from the protocol).  Bitcoin Core has no ability to send a mempool p2p request and never has had the ability to do so. It might be interesting to do so at initial startup to quick start the mempool and give miners something to mine after being offline for a while, but at the moment no one is working on that, AFAIK.

they all initially did get 1,2,3,4,a,b,c,d at initial relay..

The problem we are addressing is that if you have 100 peers, each of your hundred peers will advertise (or have advertised to them) each of those 8 transactions, using 100x the bandwidth on those advertisements as if you had only one peer.

the solution is much more simple.. get rid of the free market that lets nodes drop tx's in the initial relay. thus they would ALL have them all first go-around. without having to interrogate EACH connected node, after dropping.. because their would be no drop in the first place.
The need for nodes to potentially drop transactions has nothing to do with free market behaviour and everything to do with nodes not having infinite storage to keep the transactions.  But there is, again, no interrogation-- they don't need to go refetch them again.

X)now the first node has to ask the third node for the list.. 1,a,b,c,d (more data than initial relay)
y)now the first node has to ask the third node for the missing.. d (more data than initial relay)

You've misunderstood what we've accomplished here.

If at some point during the initial relay of transactions,  you receive from your other peers TX  A, B, C, D, E, F  and I get TX B, C, D, E, F In the historical Bitcoin protocol each of those 6 values would be sent across the link between us (potentially twice).

Instead, you could send me the single value X = A xor B xor C xor D xor E xor F,  or I could send you the single value Y = B xor C xor D xor E xor F.  

After the single value is exchanged whomever received it computes  X xor Y = A -- the missing transaction, even though neither of us knew in advance which transaction was missing.

Minisketch generalizes this to support any number of differences.  The data sent is exactly equal to the number of different values, regardless of how big the original sets are. (In fact, the first value in a minisketch is exactly what I described above: the xor of all the elements in your set).

So, if you have received in relay A, B, C, D ... X  and I have  already received B, C, D ... X, Y, Z;   Then I need send you only three values (or you me): The xor of all my values, the xor of all my values cubed, and the xor of all my values to the fifth power... and then you will know that I am missing A from you, and you are missing Y, Z from me.  And by doing this we send only three values on the link between us in the initial relay instead of 26 - 52 (depending on how much duplication there is from concurrent sends).

by getting rid of the "free market" and getting back to a consensus fee priority formulae/structure that everyone follows means
There has never been and can never been a "consensus priority formula", because priority by its very definition is external to consensus.  But the behaviour of existing nodes is consistent-- they keep and drop the same transactions, subject to having them in the first place, and subject to the restriction that anything configured to use less memory obviously can't keep as much.

to then not need to re-interrogate nodes and re-relay transactions.. then you will get to conect to 16-24 nodes as oppose to 8. and no need extra bandwidth and commands/sums playing around.
There is no re-interrogation, no-rerelay in Bitcoin, nor is any proposed.  It exists only in the imaginary protocol that you spend your days attacking and confusing people with.  The inefficiency in Bitcoin that we're working to resolve exists in the initial relay itself, and would still exists even if nodes had no mempools at all.
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 12066

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
December 28, 2018, 12:15:40 AM

Hey gonna show of my HAT in here Cheesy

WoW already few pages in here gonna read them tomorrow (try) so i hopefully gonna know how it all works as well.

Good job in here man

XhomerX10 designed my nice avatar HATs!!!!!  Thanks Bro
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 28, 2018, 01:03:03 AM
Merited by nutildah (1)

holy shit

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 28, 2018, 03:30:11 AM

W00ps, broke my rule again +sM, wish I had 50 to give you.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
VB1001 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 2540

<<CypherPunkCat>>

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2018, 08:04:28 AM

My technical knowledge is not at the necessary level, for such a deep debate, but this type of answers are what encourage to study and learn more how Full Nodes work.

1PCm7LqVkhj4xRpKNyyEeekwhc1mzK52cT
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 12066

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
December 28, 2018, 09:42:22 AM
Merited by VB1001 (1)

My technical knowledge is not at the necessary level, for such a deep debate, but this type of answers are what encourage to study and learn more how Full Nodes work.

@the very moment i’m best of with increasing stash and HODL haha
Have to read Some when i’m back home, cause forgot my laptop.... and just saw that last post by gmax, that shows me i only know like 2-5% or something Roll Eyes
A thread like this is Brain coocking for me @the moment
Hope to learn much in here gonna do my best
Already thx for all your guy’s Effort in here

XhomerX10 designed my nice avatar HATs!!!!!  Thanks Bro
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2018, 04:02:26 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2018, 04:46:48 PM by franky1
Merited by infofront (1)

flip:
Our work is not related to making "mempools synced", though they are naturally similar.
flop:
subject to having them in the first place, and subject to the restriction that anything configured to use less memory obviously can't keep as much.
^ here you are saying "subject to" meaning you know nodes can configure settings and end up holding different data.
you try to hint everyone has consistant data and near same... but then say people can put restrictions and configure...

meaning this makes mempools not have same data and thus NEED data, thus need to check other peers nodes to see who has what to then get the data needed.

i know your meaningless tests just spin up 8 nodes and look for a pre minisketch stat and a post minisketch stat... but how about actually configure the 8 nodes to have different "restrictions" and "configurations" and then see the difference compared to your meaningless test of spinning 8 nodes of same config
after all its you that says there is no fixed consensus of config and no way you WANT there to be a config consensus that fixes everyone to using the same settings... so actually do some realistic tests where the configs of the 8 nodes are random and not the same if you really believe theres no way they can be the same

hint if node A has 1,2,3,4,5,7
hint if node B has 1,2,4,5,7,8
hint if node C has 2,3,5,6,7,8
your mini sketch wont have A just check(interrogate) B and then not have to bother with checking C.. because B does have 3. but doesnt have 6. so minisketch then needs to check C and realise it needs 6 from C
so mini sketch wont result in only needing to check just one node and that is the end of it. minisketch will still check other nodes too

flip:
Our work is exclusively related to eliminating the massive overheads from relaying transactions the first time through as they go around the network.
flop
to then suddenly need to grab hundreds of transactions from X and hundreds of tx from Y AGAIN
That doesn't happen in the Bitcoin protocol, no one has proposed for it to happen, and it isn't needed.
dont run tests under perfect circumstances of out of 8 nodes 7 nodes hold same data so one node only needs to check one node to complete and thats it. realise that all 8 nodes will have different tx's and so all 8 will still need to be checked.. remember you said it there isnt and cant be a consensus of all nodes accepting the same transactions blah

also think big picture about ALSO compact blocks and bloom filtering. imagine not just initial relay "exclusivity" of just a small data set of INV.. for initial relay, but also solving the wider issue of getting transactions that a mempool wont have if it were to get a compact block
.. what i am saying is with minisketch if indeed is less data than old methods.. try it against getting the best accumulation of mempool transactions so that compact blocks can actually be accomplished

or.. are you leaving that for 4 years time due to "conservative"
no wonder after 3 years things have not really progressed due to scaling. if you think a proposed feature should only be used for an exclusive purpose. and only has benefit on optimal conditions, which you only test it under.

try some out of box thinking

i will make one apology
i am sorry i dont kiss your ass or treat you as a king.
but you have plenty of ass kissers so maybe you do need someone thats not just gonna agree and accept what you offer as the ultimate solution.. even if the solution is for "exclusive use" in one small utility and only under certain use-case

eg "segwit solves malleability"...
nope it doesnt solve malleabillity.. it "exclusively" offers a non malleable tx format IF people only use this "exclusive" tx format, by which that "exclusive" tx format needs to avoid certain opcodes, or else people could malleate tx's that use the certain format

so i apologise for not just being an ass kisser, but an echo chamber of kissing, slurping and cheers does not help critical thinking

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8416

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2018, 10:14:00 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2018, 04:29:32 AM by gmaxwell
Merited by HairyMaclairy (5)

Transaction relay and the mempool are mostly separate:

Here is a simplified flowchart:

tx -> [would mempool accept?] -no--> [add to rejected tx list; drop]
                                                     -yes-> [copy transaction]  -[copy1]-> [relay pool] --> [offer to peers]
                                                     -[copy2]-> [store in mempool] -[confirm, pushed past limit, expire] -> [drop]

The mempool is only involved in tx relay by getting used as a filter: don't bother relaying anything onwards that you wouldn't mempool with the assumption that other nodes and miners mempools are largely similar to yours.

Mempools being different between peers doesn't result in redundant transaction broadcasts. No process actively tries to make mempools similar to each other because none is needed.  There is no need in the protocol for mempools to be consistent, so it doesn't try to make them consistent.  They are naturally pretty consistent on long running nodes, however, but if they weren't it would all continue to work fine. In particular, a transaction being dropped does not cause it to be requested over and over again from peers because transactions are only offered once (when they are newly accepted) and because the node remembers the txids it rejected and thus knows not to fetch them again if a second peer happens to offer them. Transactions are also rarely dropped because they failed to meet the minimum feerate because nodes explicitly tell their peers the minimum feerate they'll accept so only transactions meeting that threshold are offered.

Our work on minisketch aims to make the bolded part in that flowchart more efficient by making it possible for all your peers to offer you all the txn they learned and for you to offer all of them all that you learned while using bandwidth equal to what would be used if everyone magically knew what their peers hadn't heard of yet and only offered them what they hadn't heard of yet.

The above claims of "only testing on 8 nodes" are just whole cloth fabrication and don't make any sense... our work is validated, as is usual, with measurements on the real network (because duh), and with a topology simulator that simulates tens of thousands of nodes.

The poster above seems to have misunderstood the proposal as some effort to synchronize mempools and then believed it would waste capacity constantly resending a transaction when one node had a transaction and one of its peers had dropped the transaction.   Handling cases like peers with differently sized mepools would be a consideration if we were attempting to synchronize mempools, but we're not nor would we have a reason to do so.  Instead, we're synchronizing the list of transactions nodes would have announced to each other.... So if alice and bob are connected, and both would have told each other about TxA then no data needs to be sent for TxA.  In the existing protocol either Alice or Bob (or both) would transmit the existence of TxA to each other, which is a waste because they both already knew about it.

I think I've made more than a fair effort in correcting these misunderstandings. I hope someone else will pick up the torch before the posters persistence spreads the misunderstanding further and perhaps ultimately demoralizes the developers to the point where we give up on this completely uncompensated voluntary work improving the protocol.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
December 28, 2018, 11:32:24 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2018, 11:45:09 PM by HairyMaclairy

Thank you for your hard work gmax.  

Many of us do not have sufficient technical knowledge to systematically refute the points made by Franky - but we can recognize Bcash talking points when we see them.  

Trolls seek to divert precious resources (our time) by sending us on wild goose chases.  It is far easier and faster to talk shit than to refute it.  You are too kind when you refer to Franky’s deliberate misstatements as misunderstandings.

Having comprehensively demonstrated that Franky is not credible, we can all safely ignore his further comments without a need to continually show why he is wrong.

Mission accomplished.  
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 03:56:45 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2018, 04:31:48 AM by franky1

Transaction relay and the mempool are mostly separate:
Here is a simplified flowchart:

tx -> [mempool accept?] -no--> [add to rejected tx list; drop]

^ highlighting the flaw even at step 1

as i clarified in PM to not ramble on in this topic
my point was by having the ability to drop

when the peers interrogate each other(step 2) after dropping the tx.
the peer in "flowchart" will again request the same TX ,,,,, and then drop it (rinse and repeat)

then....
when a block comes along. that includes reference to the tx that the peer in flowchart keeps dropping. then the peer yet again asks other peers that same dang tx again because...
drum roll.....
its not in its mempool

which over all means the same tx keeps getting broadcast and dismissed more than once

all because a node is allowed to drop tx's due to silly things like customised relay limits

the solution:
is remove the "drop" for silly reasons like min relay
then the tx's are accepted.. and then everyone gets the tx at first go around. without repeats.
and without needing to retry again even after getting a compact block.. because
drum roll.....
the tx IS in the mempool.
thus allowing a block to be verified quick because the node RETAINS the tx
AND has not caused as much bandwidth usage because it hasnt dropped tx's to need to re pickup tx's

big picture:
the whole point of relaying unconfirmed transactions to everyone
the whole point of non mining nodes having a mempool
is to KEEP transactions so that when a compact block comes along nodes can verify it quickly without causing latency/propagation delays from asking for tx's.

by allowing "drop" and by saying its ok for peers to have different transaction sets.. is just saying its ok to make the network work harder by having nodes request data repeatedly.

the only time a tx should really be dropping a tx is if the signatures fail or the UTXO is spent.... not because of random user preference

so get rid of the user preference and then everyone gets to have a full mempool of tx's by default.. to then not cause latency issues at the compact block validation event and not cause bandwidth issues with re-grabs

P.S to HairyMaclairy
i am not even a Bcash guy.. so fail on you
but you much like most kiss asses do love to think if core dev gets poked. your sheep defense response is to folow a script
about bcash

you need to open your mind that if someone loves bitcoin. but finds a flaw or does not agree with how a dev is messing with bitcoin.. it might be because they person poking at a dev actually cares more about bitcoin than the dev does.

oh and if you want to believe that gmax is a poor guy, not making money.
ultimately demoralizes the developers to the point where we give up on this completely uncompensated voluntary work improving the protocol.

yep $101mill / 9 founders = more than a chicken nugget... so dont feel pity for him like he is a starving coder on his last penny only coding bitcoin out of love

sorry gmax. i know i playd some drum rolls. buy im not gonna play you a violin... seriously YOU playing the poor guy card!?

bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:27:02 AM

Let's see if I have gotten this right... In simple words:

- Gmaxwell minisketch proposal is a way to reduce bandwidth usage by nodes during the relay of tx's. It does so by detecting which tx's are needed to be transmitted so that only those that are missing get transmitted to the other node. It is not part of the bitcoin consensus and fully optional so that it only gets used only between supporting pairs of nodes.

- Franky1 argues against the drop of some tx's by the nodes for not meeting the criteria of min relay fee which is a node operator configurable value. He thinks that nodes should not drop those tx's (only in case of signature mismatch or already spent/insufficient inputs). He also argues that if tx's were not dropped in first instance there would be no need for that "re-relay" of those missing tx's "over and over".

- It is not clear (to me) if that is what actually happens (the re-relay of those tx's repeated times) but from gmaxwell post it seems that it is not the case.

- Also it seems to me that in any case minisketch has nothing to do about that because the drop of the tx's due to not meeting the min relay criteria is a previous step in the protocol. Minisketch just adds an optional and more efficient (bandwidth wise) way of dealing with a preexistent situation.

So, if the above is correct... everything reduces to franky1 being against min relay which has nothing to do with gmaxwell proposal?

Sorry if I have stepped into this conversation without the necessary knowledge but, at this point, it has caught some of my attention and would like to know if I got it or not.

19VBmRQVqrtNTGiwngZutwREagcKxJgVZM
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 09:49:26 AM

nope it doesnt solve malleabillity.. it "exclusively" offers a non malleable tx format IF people only use this "exclusive" tx format, by which that "exclusive" tx format needs to avoid certain opcodes, or else people could malleate tx's that use the certain format

So it does indeed offer a valid solution to the malleability problem, doesn't it?

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 12:43:57 PM

So it does indeed offer a valid solution to the malleability problem, doesn't it?

it has not SOLVED malleation

the foolish thing is that its a anti-malleability option not solution.. its something that the payer has to choose to use.

if your a impending recipient of funds on the bitcoin network. waiting to be paid.. you obviously are not the one making the transaction. right..
so your not the one in a position to choose
your not the one that is able to say that its solved for you. because you dont know what the payer will do when paying you.

so you cant say to yourself things are solved and there is no need to worry about malleability..
a malicious person wanting to be malicious will use malleability against you and you cant stop them

imagine it this way, there is a gun crisis in a country.. instead of making a no gun law for the whole country. what happens is that authorities offer a voluntary no commitment cardboard box for people to put a gun in should they not want to use a gun

do you think gun lovers are going to choose to put down their gun by using the box?
are gun haters going to suddenly have a sigh of relief that there are no more guns?

bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 01:04:52 PM

it has not SOLVED malleation

the foolish thing is that its a anti-malleability option not solution.. its something that the payer has to choose to use.

if your a impending recipient of funds on the bitcoin network. waiting to be paid.. you obviously are not the one making the transaction. right..
so your not the one in a position to choose
your not the one that is able to say that its solved for you. because you dont know what the payer will do when paying you.

so you cant say to yourself things are solved and there is no need to worry about malleability..
a malicious person wanting to be malicious will use malleability against you and you cant stop them

imagine it this way, there is a gun crisis in a country.. instead of making a no gun law for the whole country. what happens is that authorities offer a voluntary no commitment cardboard box for people to put a gun in should they not want to use a gun

do you think gun lovers are going to choose to put down their gun by using the box?
are gun haters going to suddenly have a sigh of relief that there are no more guns?

AFAIK the main problem of malleability was that exchanges could get fooled by a malleated tx such that their software couldn't recognise the malleated (broadcasted by the attacker) tx had indeed suceeded and the original one didn't, so they would end replaying it making a double (or multiple by rinse and repeat) spend themselves. <- REAL spends, don't confuse with the "double spend" attack.

It seems to me THAT problem has a solution now as exchanges can use the "specific format" that makes malleability impossible.

Ok, main problem solved.

Now go to the next one... You are saying that if I am the receiver I don't control the sending tx, which is true. So the "attacker" can choose to send me a tx which is susceptible of malleability, ok. And now what? The "attacker" is going to send me multiple malleated tx's? What can I say... thanks?

I think I am not getting it... can you use another example but instead of guns use a real life example on how that would be detrimental to me as a receiver of a Bitcoin tx?

Lannie25

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 02:23:59 PM

There plenty in the internet it you will browse it.
The one thing good about it is that it serves a secuirty to validate some transactions and blocks other nodes which is suspicious.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 02:27:26 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2018, 10:36:45 PM by franky1

Also it seems to me that in any case minisketch has nothing to do about that because the drop of the tx's due to not meeting the min relay criteria is a previous step in the protocol. Minisketch just adds an optional and more efficient (bandwidth wise) way of dealing with a preexistent situation.

Sorry if I have stepped into this conversation without the necessary knowledge but, at this point, it has caught some of my attention and would like to know if I got it or not.

im against features that get offered as solving big picture issues but end up not solving the big picture issues of what the initial feature intent is
but devs avoiding the obvious more simple way to solve an issue network wide for everyone

EG segwit. offered as solution to malleation.. result people still are victimised by malleation after segwit activation
because the victim is not part of the choice to choose to malleate or not of funds it gets/doesnt get.
EG funny part. after pretending malleation is solved. they introduce RBF to actually help malleators malleate

as for the tx transmission bandwidth and the compact block big picture surrounding a bandwidth concern
the big picture is transactions get sent around the network of non mining nodes so that nodes have a store of transactions ready for when a block is created the node has the transactions in mempool to quickly validate the block and not need to regrab transactions after the blocks arrives. to allow quick propagation of blocks.

the whole point of relaying transactions is to give nodes transactions
dropping them defeats the whole point of sending them in the first place.
thus making relaying transactions pointless if now devs think its ok to not keep transactions

if gmaxwell thinks dropping transactions is perfectly fine then why even bother sending transactions to non mining nodes.
save more bandwidth by only sending transactions to nodes that flag that they are pools, by having a mining flag for instance
(yes you will argue that will cause more propagation issues.. i will reply yes welcome to the issue as i was being reverse psychological to prove a point)

also when
nodeX gets a tx from a peerA and drops it. that does not mean the next peerB suddenly doesnt need to send the same tx to
nodeX. peer B will still see nodeX doesnt have the tx and WILL resend it... and nodeX will drop it again
peer C will still see nodeX doesnt have the tx and will send it... nodeX will drop it

its not fixing the big picture of getting nodes to keep transactions so that compact blocks can propagate quickly. as the whole point of relaying transactions to non mining nodes is to give them transactions they dont have.

and the minisketch doesnt solve the problem of having to get the same data from peer b, c.

yet by removing the drop for silly reasons. means when node X gets tx from A.. it wont need to get it from B, C .. and wont need to get it after a block is solved... because.. big picture. it would already have it

oh, and if peer B,C doesnt have the tx to give. peer B,C wont get it from nodeX because node X didnt keep it so peer B and C will then be going through the same process of using bandwidth to try getting it from other peers

if everyone just kept to a same rule of only drop invalid transactions. everyone would all keep the same valid transactions without having to re send transactions or interrogate peers or re grab after compact block arrives.

and yes i can pre-empt the next empty argument
some fool will argue that peer A sent it at initial relay so now its peer Bs problem.. guess what
when a block is solved. guess who nodeX is going to ask again... yep. nodeA
and guess what nodeA will do. nodeA will resend it

some fool will argue that my concern only amounts to maybe 1 tx now and then..
nope if a node is saying drop transactions under 1000sat fee. there will be more than 1 tx now and again involved

devs always know of flaws, but instead of SOLVING the big picture they just OFFER flimsy, reduce the chances of flaw but not remove it

think about it
devs say this minisketch under their default setting tests shows a reduction of bandwidth to then allow a node that usually connects to 8 nodes could connect to 16-24 nodes (2-3x reduction) but thats not 7x reduction to allow 56 nodes.

and because settings are configurable around drops. if they ran tests using variable settings instead of just spinning up 8 nodes using defaults. the reduction would be LESS than 2-3x

and ontop of that. nodes still end up grabbing data after a compact block. meaning although they grabbed a tx severals times from peers at initial relay. they still grab again at block receipt. causing block propagation delays

where as removing configurable settings for silly reasons would actually give a better bandwidth reduction and make compact blocks not need to trigger as much bandwidth for the same dang tx's

and an outside the box thought. if they actually removed the drop for silly reasons and put in a fee priority formulae that al nodes utilitise so that there still remains control over spammy dust. a fee formulae can actually make spammers pay more for sending spammy dust without it affecting everyone fees at block confirm.

but nah.. devs just wanna OFFER flimsy stuff.. and not SOLVE the big picture

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2018, 02:38:45 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2018, 03:43:51 PM by franky1

AFAIK the main problem of malleability was that exchanges could get fooled by a malleated tx such that their software couldn't recognise the malleated (broadcasted by the attacker) tx had indeed suceeded and the original one didn't, so they would end replaying it making a double (or multiple by rinse and repeat) spend themselves. <- REAL spends, don't confuse with the "double spend" attack.

It seems to me THAT problem has a solution now as exchanges can use the "specific format" that makes malleability impossible.

Ok, main problem solved.

Now go to the next one... You are saying that if I am the receiver I don't control the sending tx, which is true. So the "attacker" can choose to send me a tx which is susceptible of malleability, ok. And now what? The "attacker" is going to send me multiple malleated tx's? What can I say... thanks?

I think I am not getting it... can you use another example but instead of guns use a real life example on how that would be detrimental to me as a receiver of a Bitcoin tx?

yea your not getting it...you think the main problem is solved..
EG
if i sent you a tx of
1franky(0.1) -> bc1qexchange(0.1)
that tx is not a segwit tx. i can still malleate my signature to change the txid even when you want the funds to arrive at a segwit bc1q address

so an exchange will still get transactions that can be malleated..

all an exchange has control over is. if an exchange CHOOSES to only use segwit. then the exchange itself cannot malleate..
it doesnt mean an exchange cant be victim to malleation

segwits false promise was to solve malleability for the bitcoin network.. it hasnt
segwits real purpose was to add a gateway tx format to a different network which the different network would offer different things

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: