Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:00:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could a coin price be locked in place?  (Read 872 times)
NoSkyLimit

Activity: 171
Merit: 50

Crypto will save my kids!

View Profile
April 05, 2019, 05:33:02 PM

why would you want your investment to sit on the same price ? that is not an investment anymore but only a deposit, like banks works... . also the price is not set by the exchanges or this is what I want to belive....

▐▀   ▄▀▄  █▄  █ █  █  ▀▌         Games        ANYONE        Bitcointalk              ▐▀   ▄▀▄  █▄  █ █  █  ▀▌
▐    █▄█  █ ▀▄█ ▀▄▄▀   ▌      Referral      Investment      Discord  |  Github       ▐    █▄█  █ ▀▄█ ▀▄▄▀   ▌
▐▄  █   █ █   █ ▄▄▀   ▄▌     Dividents       Platform       Twitter  |  Telegram     ▐▄  █   █ █   █ ▄▄▀   ▄▌

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoin-shark

Activity: 2842
Merit: 605

View Profile
April 05, 2019, 06:02:49 PM

it would be an interesting experiment, unfortunately is an unattainable thing the exchanges make each one their own price and then let's not forget about the dex where the market value is determined by the users...
natka

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2019, 06:38:33 PM

it would be an interesting experiment, unfortunately is an unattainable thing the exchanges make each one their own price and then let's not forget about the dex where the market value is determined by the users...
In any case, the market price is formed only by one criterion, and this is when demand creates supply. Based on this, it is necessary to understand that only real investments in the cryptocurrency market will be able to correct the current situation.
Prompyboo

Activity: 807
Merit: 251

World's First Crowd Owned Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
April 05, 2019, 07:23:00 PM

why would you want your investment to sit on the same price ? that is not an investment anymore but only a deposit, like banks works... . also the price is not set by the exchanges or this is what I want to belive....
Well, now only the exchange and set prices. I also don't want to believe in it, but this is how the market works now

starblocks

Activity: 1344
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 12:29:52 AM

Assets with a fixed price are commonly referred to as stablecoins which are typically backed by collateral and can be used for transacting and hedging against market volatility whereas assets that don't have a fixed price can be more speculative in nature and are primarily used for trading and investment purposes so it wouldn't be very useful to have these set at a fixed price

modmalaney

Activity: 700
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 03:21:36 AM

This is the market and all prices can change because there are sellers and buyers. And for the value of this coin, it changes because it is affected by the problems that are currently circulating. But it is safer to invest in top coins because they have large volumes. Prices can easily change and this will give you an advantage.
Nggedebus

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 03:31:44 AM

In my thought, locking up the coin price in a fixed price will be the same as killing that coins, many people will be leaving that coin behind, because they can't trade that coins to generate profit from that respected coins. It will surely able to be used as a payment tool only.
junkerr

Activity: 1022

Meta4uStake.io

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 03:35:49 AM

In my thought, locking up the coin price in a fixed price will be the same as killing that coins, many people will be leaving that coin behind, because they can't trade that coins to generate profit from that respected coins. It will surely able to be used as a payment tool only.
of course what is done is not locking the coin for a long time. maybe the development team is still preparing for an update or wants to make price stability in advance to attract investors in. all assets will be traded because there is also no fixed price movement in one price.

Aldrinx00

Activity: 882
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 03:37:07 AM

No never because exchanges can't control the price it's the people who are trading are the ones who dictate the price of a certain coin, its a law of supply and demand. I also don't think people will actually like locking the price of a certain coin because bitcoins concept is to be decentralized and not to be controlled by anyone.

Falgorn

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 04:46:45 AM

The idea, of course, is very interesting, but it cannot be fully implemented in practice. Exchanges only provide the process of trading and can not affect the price of cryptocurrency. Everything still depends on supply and demand. Only they determine the price of cryptocurrency on the market. If the administration of the exchanges interferes with the process of free price formation, the market will actually disappear. Then market participants will simply look for other, over-the-counter free trade routes. People will bypass the established prohibitions, such measures have never been effective.
Tylev

Activity: 854
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 05:08:22 AM

If there is a similar conspiracy of the exchanges, people simply will not use them and will look for other ways for free trade. And such opportunities will always exist. No administrative pressure can affect the free price on the market, which will always be formed on the basis of supply and demand.
In general, the establishment of stable prices in the market is impossible. This is contrary to the principles and spirit of the market itself and the exchange will never support such an offer.
Shatterlean22

Activity: 350
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 06:31:31 AM

Its not the exchange call to fix price for any particular coin or tokens and its never going to be and if there is who will use them? Rise and fall in price of bitcoin as its advantages

storichain.io ❂ Storichain Official Bounty Campaign
• ● START: 25 JUNE 2019 ● • (https://storichain.io)
barbara44

Activity: 2394
Merit: 605

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 09:45:32 AM

Tokens and ICO are the most coins that becomes frozen because there is not traders or the traders has left the specific coin.
He wouldn't be asking such a question if the price of Bitcoin only goes up. Let's assume that the price keeps going up and never goes down, you wouldn't like to have it locked in place (particular rate) because you would like to make profit. Bitcoin is determined by the selling and buying. How much that comes in or goes out at that moment will determine where the price is heading to.

Exchanges are not even the ones who can say what the price is going to be. Buying cryptocurrency is the same like when you're buying stocks, you don't expect their price to be fixed. If you feel like you're going to lose money due to the price that is volatile, all you can do is to pull your money to real money. There are exchanges that can let you switch to a different currency right on their platform if you'd like to keep your money.
UmerIdrees

Activity: 2240
Merit: 842

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2019, 01:54:47 PM

Yes, we do not want the price of our coin to be fixed. Everyone is investing in crypto currencies to get good money from the change in prices. Yes, one thing we all want is that the prices do not fall below our purchase price but then its a volatile market, anything can happen here.

aioc

Activity: 2898
Merit: 567

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 02:00:22 PM

I'm not talking about these supposed stablecoins like Tether, but normal coins.  Let's say an agreement was made among all the major Bitcoin exchanges.  Starting January 1, a Bitcoin is worth $5000 USD, plain and simple, and that's it.  The price never goes higher or lower.  A Bitcoin is $5000 today, tomorrow, next week, next month, etc.  NOTHING changes it.  Not a war, not the economy, not Trump getting re-elected (which he will, he's doing a great job), nothing.

I wonder if that could be done and what the effect would be. 

One effect is that I wouldn't be buying BTC, because with no price volatility, how could I ever make a profit?  But one good thing is that normal companies may be more inclined to use Bitcoin, since its price is now fixed and does not change.

That sounds like a communistic approach, where everything is being controlled by one committee or organization, it's not going to happen to a system that is decentralized and independent, that is such outrageous idea and we do not know it is going to be implemented.

Okity21

Activity: 196
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 02:45:39 PM

The cryptocurrency market is very unstable and constantly evolving, so I am sure that for a long time the price of a coin cannot stay in one place.
It is the market volatility that allows many participants to be successful in their investments.

● ●   CATEX.io   ● ●
|    |  Transaction Mining Exchange  |    |
(((((((  TRADE NOW  )))))))
ceetoo224
Copper Member

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 02:50:28 PM

I'm not talking about these supposed stablecoins like Tether, but normal coins.  Let's say an agreement was made among all the major Bitcoin exchanges.  Starting January 1, a Bitcoin is worth $5000 USD, plain and simple, and that's it.  The price never goes higher or lower.  A Bitcoin is $5000 today, tomorrow, next week, next month, etc.  NOTHING changes it.  Not a war, not the economy, not Trump getting re-elected (which he will, he's doing a great job), nothing.

One effect is that I wouldn't be buying BTC, because with no price volatility, how could I ever make a profit?  But one good thing is that normal companies may be more inclined to use Bitcoin, since its price is now fixed and does not change.

There are some coins called stable coins and that not necessarily means that its market price is stationary and constant, though there are also coins that are limiting the sell price to a certain amount to avoid getting dumped and also its market price is not stationary and constant, in conclusion, there are no coin with price locked in place as market decides how much would it be.
blokklanc

Activity: 226
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 11:58:49 PM

The vision of Satoshi Nakamoto was to create a decentralized coin which is not dependent. To have a fully peer-to-peer
system with open source code, with no trusted third party. Are we trying to find the ways how to destroy that vision and why?

▄ ◤ HyFi ◥ ▄
▐░ DeFi & CeDeFi Marketplaces ░▌ (https://hyfi-corp.com)
virasog
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1161

View Profile
April 07, 2019, 04:40:04 AM

The vision of Satoshi Nakamoto was to create a decentralized coin which is not dependent. To have a fully peer-to-peer
system with open source code, with no trusted third party. Are we trying to find the ways how to destroy that vision and why?

In decentralized environment we have no control over the price of the coins. Ofcourse if you think of centralized currencies, like USD etc government take steps to keep dollar stable at a certain price and this is possible because the demand and supply is in their hands. They could introduce artificial schemes which may not let dollar fall to a certain point or rise to some point.

Since no one is in control of bitcoins, no one can set its price and therefore we see a much volatile prices in crypto currencies.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1203

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2019, 05:03:41 AM

Nobody here will like the idea, most of us here invest for profit, and the word buy low sell high and hodl will no longer exist, this is decentralization industry, there should be no governing body that will dictate the price of Bitcoin or any other coin, they will lose their true essence.

█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
████████▄▄█▄▄█▄▄██████████▀██████
█████░░█░░█░░█░░████████████▀████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████████▀██
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████
██░░█░░█░░███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀███████████████████████
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄███████████████████████
██░░█░░█░░███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████▄▄▄██████████
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄███████████████████████