Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:47:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikipedia founder asking for help to learn Bitcoin  (Read 3790 times)
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:05:44 PM

I think your marketing strategy is even worse.
Please stop using Bitcoin as donation money. People will start to associate Bitcoin with people begging for money.

The logic that adoption (in the form of major worldwide players accepting it for any reason whatsoever) "doesn't matter" to the long term success of Bitcoin... is utter nonsense.

Violates every rule of common sense.

------------------

Wikipedia is up to almost $4,000 in donations so far.

Lets keep it rolling.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:06:27 PM

LOLLL people here are so delusional thinking that Wikipedia accepting BTC donations will do anything significant to Bitcoin's community

You lack basic understanding of how marketing works.  And basic understanding of how a product succeeds en masse.

-B-

Yes!

Having tried to start (with BitchicksHusband) businesses in the past I understand that the world is pretty much controlled by marketers.  Our biggest obstacle in being successful in business is that we absolutely detest marketing.  Hence why our businesses never did very well. Wink

As Bitcoin becomes more widely accepted at any well known websites or locations throughout the world the validity and adoption will grow.  It really is that simple.

This is why, although I am ticked at Newsweek for what they are doing to Dorian Nakamoto, it is generating a ton of press and hopefully the funds raised for him can offset the crap he is going through.  But it is "marketing" for Bitcoin.  

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 05:07:05 PM

LOLLL people here are so delusional thinking that Wikipedia accepting BTC donations will do anything significant to Bitcoin's community

You lack basic understanding of how marketing works.  And basic understanding of how a product succeeds en masse.

-B-

Please stop using Bitcoin as donation money. People will start to associate Bitcoin with people begging for money.
they already do relate it with drugs and money laundering, isn't it some kind of progress if they start thinking btc community is generous ...!

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:08:20 PM

The logic that adoption (in the form of major worldwide players accepting it for any reason whatsoever) "doesn't matter" to the long term success of Bitcoin... is utter nonsense.

Violates every rule of common sense.

------------------

Wikipedia is up to almost $4,000 in donations so far.

Lets keep it rolling.

-B-

$4000 already? At this pace I have a feeling the founder of Wikipedia will become a believer in a few hours! Wink

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:16:38 PM

What the hell does it mean ?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/201fa6/hello_from_jimmy_wales_of_wikipedia/cfyw1os

I think it would not be wise to put it on the bottom of every page. In the grand scheme of things the number of people using bitcoin is effectively zero. So we'd be showing what would effectively be a promotion for bitcoin in exchange for a very small net financial gain. That'd be great for lots of for-profit bitcoin businesses, and great for the bitcoin movement, but not really sensible for Wikimedia.
Yes, maybe someday if bitcoin becomes mainstream.

bitbrasil

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:21:23 PM

What the hell does it mean ?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/201fa6/hello_from_jimmy_wales_of_wikipedia/cfyw1os

I think it would not be wise to put it on the bottom of every page. In the grand scheme of things the number of people using bitcoin is effectively zero. So we'd be showing what would effectively be a promotion for bitcoin in exchange for a very small net financial gain. That'd be great for lots of for-profit bitcoin businesses, and great for the bitcoin movement, but not really sensible for Wikimedia.
Yes, maybe someday if bitcoin becomes mainstream.

It means that trying to bribe wikipedia's founder is not going to work.
txbt

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:59:10 PM

So if I want to switch 100% to BTC and also to support Wikipedia financially, how do you think I should do it?

"Wikipedia is hosted and funded by the Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization which also operates Wikipedia-related projects such as Wiktionary and Wikibooks. The Wikimedia Foundation relies on public contributions and grants to fund its mission."
Source:Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikimedia chapters

1WXXstjXvsfV1U2wSVwDACqqYrpK12W3g
bitbrasil

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:43:51 PM

So if I want to switch 100% to BTC and also to support Wikipedia financially, how do you think I should do it?

"Wikipedia is hosted and funded by the Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization which also operates Wikipedia-related projects such as Wiktionary and Wikibooks. The Wikimedia Foundation relies on public contributions and grants to fund its mission."
Source:Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikimedia chapters

Wikipedia's mission is to centralize all information of the world. Can't you see how dangerous that is? Why would you switch to 100% decentralized currency to then support a site which plans to centralize all information in one place? makes no sense
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 06:54:20 PM

Newsweek in 5...4...3...

Wikipedia Starts Paying ALL Their Employees Via Bitcoin
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 06:59:11 PM

Although i have posted this image before but i think it still makes room for itself

RUEHL

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:05:44 PM

pirate bay accepts bitcoins, they also need support.  Grin

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
daviducsb

Activity: 155

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:22:03 PM

-B-

troll, please go back under the bridge
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:28:49 PM

Doesn't he run a community-driven online encyclopedia with crosslinks? I'm pretty sure they have a Bitcoin entry. Huh
daviducsb

Activity: 155

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Just sent .1 btc

Come on folks, let's show him the power of bitcoin. Just the positive kind of thing we need after being goxxed in the media.

We ought to set a goal of 100 btc! Or maybe even 1,000. This is how you get people to use bitcoin in the real world, via good publicity!
txbt

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:02:24 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 09:25:01 AM by txbt

Wikipedia's mission is to centralize all information of the world. Can't you see how dangerous that is? Why would you switch to 100% decentralized currency to then support a site which plans to centralize all information in one place? makes no sense

The aim of Wikipedia is to create a free encyclopedia with valid info in many of the world's languages. Having so many editors is a strong and also a weak point but surely is not centralisation. Not in the sense that some central authority is giving an ideological direction. The authority for example is exerted by administrators to stop/diminish neverending wars of words between editors with different opinions.

The way Wikipedia functions is much more complex (a good read for many) but at least for now I can't see nothing evil as you implied in your post. On the contrary...

1WXXstjXvsfV1U2wSVwDACqqYrpK12W3g
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:05:41 PM

I sent him .1 .... will send him more later.  If we don't get him at least 100 BTC I am going to be really upset with the bitcoin community.

Yes sent money to a millionaire in the hopes that it will convince him to let you donate more money to his foundation which relies on donations?

Hell 0.1 BTC could have bought a lot of meals for homeless people but if you want to give money to the 1% to convince them to use Bitcoin well I guess that is your right.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:10:24 PM

I sent him .1 .... will send him more later.  If we don't get him at least 100 BTC I am going to be really upset with the bitcoin community.

Yes sent money to a millionaire in the hopes that it will convince him to let you donate more money to his foundation which relies on donations?

Hell 0.1 BTC could have bought a lot of meals for homeless people but if you want to give money to the 1% to convince them to use Bitcoin well I guess that is your right.

If the 1% decide to use Bitcoin it could be very beneficial to us don't you think?

I think it is a good idea to convince them to take a risk on Bitcoin.  They can learn first hand what it can do for them.  But I agree that it is pretty ridiculous in some ways.  But millionaires often become millionaires by not spending their money and making more in creative ways.  Otherwise they wouldn't have any money. Wink

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:13:24 PM

I have no problem with someone convincing a rich person that Bitcoin is useful to them.  I think it is utterly silly for people (who I imagine are not millionaires) deciding they need to help a millionaire like Bitcoin by giving him free money.  To each his own.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:31:59 PM

I have no problem with someone convincing a rich person that Bitcoin is useful to them.  I think it is utterly silly for people (who I imagine are not millionaires) deciding they need to help a millionaire like Bitcoin by giving him free money.  To each his own.

I think most of us have utilized Wikipedia and throwing a $10 to $20 tip their way won't really hurt us.  They have provided a free and useful service to us all.  But unlike giving to some charities completely without selfish motives, there is something to be gained in doing this.  So it is could be looked at as a "win-win" situation to do so. 

And in a weird way we have more Bitcoin "wealth" than Jimmy Wales does. And if he keeps converting his coins to cash we probably will for quite a while.  I wonder when he will realize it would have been much better to just hold the coins?  Wink

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 12:47:13 AM

BTW, Someone should help Jimmy Wales set up a 1wiki........ vanity Bitcoin address.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: