Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:54:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Arepo's Weekly Newsletter Discussion and Analysis  (Read 8295 times)
arepo (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:23:27 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2014, 04:27:16 AM by arepo

the violent snapback we witnessed in the past 24 hours appeared to me as a chain-reaction of closing shorts. while its impressive volume and long wicked candle formation looks like it marks the short-term bottom, the mid-term downtrend still looms.

---
short-term moving resistance

---

we are just now breaking above a robust short-term moving resistance i discovered with 5 points of contact and 1 major violation. this is definitely a bull signal and we could see a recovery up to the mid-term trendline in Figure 1, issue 7 April (most likely). however, low weekend volume may impede this and we could see consolidation in the $450-$380 range (more likely). a break below the $380 long-term support would suggest a double bottom, (less likely), or an abrupt continuation of the downtrend (least likely).

this particular formation (v-bottom) is relatively unique and has occurred far fewer times than the more robust patterns i have a better statistical understanding of. honestly, some of the ridiculous volatility we saw in the last couple of days took me by surprise, but then again, this is only the second real bear market that bitcoin has ever seen. i think many market participants are having trouble trading this environment, as this kind of snapback occurs in relatively inefficient markets. the ticker price suddenly moves below an important support, but the bid depth is too thin to prevent significant slippage, even though the buying pressure below this price point is significant enough such that if the buyers and sellers were more coordinated, the price volatility would be far less.

anyway, i hope you all caught the bearish divergence earlier in the week and were at least prepared for the large dip. with great volatility comes great profitability, so i hope you were on the right side of those powerful waves. i took only a slight loss, but did not make any gains as the constellation of patterns i was following in the indicators revealed themselves as lagging, instead of leading patterns. more on this in the next report.

--arepo

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:13:10 AM

When will next newsletter be out?
arepo (OP)

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:36:18 AM

Hello subscribers and other traders. This week I'm going to do something a little different. We have seen some seriously crazy price action this past week, and it's given me a lot of data to process. For this week's report, I wanted to fully explore some of the errors in last week's projections for reasons of both accountability and rigor. I'm currently testing a hypothesis about leading versus lagging patterns in the indicator data, and the game theory involved in the snapback we just saw. I also want to leverage some python scripts that I've been putting together to get a more solid picture of the data, as the price function has been seriously testing my methods lately. I suspect that there are a few hidden assumptions that hold mainly during bullish price action that do not hold during bear markets, as most of the data I have collected I did so during upwards trends.

Since my reports are generally a combination of general analysis and short-term projections, I will be posting below a projection for the next week that leverages the models I have already published in previous reports so that you all will have something to work with for the next 24 hours. This will save space in the full publication which will be largely devoted to re-analysis of the the same indicator data sets that I explored last week to form a more complete model for Bitcoin price behavior during bear markets, and more specific price-targets to complement the projection below. This full report will be released via email in pdf form tomorrow evening (EST).

---

all graphs are 3-day scale

A, linear scale

https://i.imgur.com/9fJskBL.png

B, log scale

https://i.imgur.com/9jhivU6.png

C, linear scale with exponential moving resistance

https://i.imgur.com/4SOWpsD.png

---

A shows one possible mid-term resistance modeled as a line defined by the last ATH and the third local maximum at around $700 (these are the points upon which the drawn line was constructed). its multiple points of contact in recent price data and lack of major violations make it relatively robust.

B shows a line constructed from the same two points, but projected onto a log-scale graph. it, too, is relatively robust with multiple points of contact and only one minor violation.

C is a composite graph on a linear scale with the log-scale line appropriately transformed into an exponential decay curve. you can see that they are built on the same two points as that is where they intersect. there is a significant amount of evidence to suggest that most linear phenomenon, like the moving support/resistance that defines triangles, are actually better modeled with exponential decay curves, but the linear models work well on most scales.

i created this chart to visualise the two competing mid-term resistances. one of them overlaps with the linear short-term resistance that drove the price slowly downward during March (FIGURE A), and the other one is better modeled on the log-scale chart and is significantly higher.

---

why are we bothering with locating the resistance? because the same fractal model i detailed on page 17, Week of 31 March*, can be applied to the current price environment (please refer to the bolded page for the diagram i am annotating.):

in the first two iterations of the pattern, the c-phase is associated with a long-wicked "reversal" candle. in these iterations, this phase is also terminated when a new high is made above the high associated with the long-wicked candle. once this price point is reached, the a-phase begins, a bullish resolution.

in the third iteration of the pattern, the c-phase fails to exhibit a strong recovery in prices, and shows a bearish resolution as the price makes a new low. of course, this is also apparent in the C-phase, in the largest fractal.

---

in conclusion, the 3-day-scale price data shown above has met the criteria for an "auxiliary c-phase" with a bullish resolution. we have made a new high above the high associated with the long-wicked reversal candle. the next a-phase should roughly correspond with a strong bullish correction up to the mid-term resistance, as in the two similar iterations.

in effect, over the course of next week i expect a strong movement up to at least the linear resistance followed by a short bullish consolidation, and then a final move up to the decay-curve resistance.

---

6-hour scale

https://i.imgur.com/KVsTRmn.png

---

at this very moment we are forming a symmetrical triangle consolidation pattern which, in this price environment, tends to also be a continuation pattern, meaning it will break out in the same direction as the trend. this formation is micro-term bullish

---

further analysis to be included in this week's report. it has really been a great joy publishing my work and i appreciate you all bearing with my sometimes hectic schedule. Smiley

--arepo

*please ignore the barely visible black-type "A", it was an error

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Blue

Activity: 270

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 07:01:11 PM

arepo,

where are you and where is this weeks news letter ?  Huh
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:22:15 PM

Can we get an update please on what's going on, arepo?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:55:25 PM

Any news from Arepo?

Nothing. I really hope he comes back with a good explanation.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
justanickname

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:59:34 PM

how does he send the newsletters? email? PM?
Blue

Activity: 270

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:09:33 PM

by email

however, something seems not right - he is offline since April 15.
justanickname

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:20:00 PM

by email

however, something seems not right - he is offline since April 15.

Did you (or anyone) email him in the past week?
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 09:45:37 AM

Wrote him an email, no response at all.

justanickname

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:10:40 AM

Wrote him an email, no response at all.
same here
Kramerc

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 06:14:13 PM

I have tried to contact him around 10 days ago, but the same answer. He doesn't seem the scamming type but he could and should inform us about what's going on.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 08:45:00 PM

Honestly seems like a health problem or a family emergency or something. Its not like he ran off with a huge amount of coins or something.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:40:23 PM

Honestly seems like a health problem or a family emergency or something. Its not like he ran off with a huge amount of coins or something.

Agreed, but you will also notice that no one in here started shouting 'scam' yet.

Still, it's a service I and several others paid for, and we're not receiving said service right now, and neither are we informed why that is. So some level of disgruntlement is to be expected.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:43:59 PM

Agreed, but you will also notice that no one in here started shouting 'scam' yet.

Still, it's a service I and several others paid for, and we're not receiving said service right now, and neither are we informed why that is. So some level of disgruntlement is to be expected.

Yeah, notifying people here of a personal emergency takes 5 seconds.
justanickname

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:13:03 PM

Yeah, notifying people here of a personal emergency takes 5 seconds.

I agree, and I think arepo would agree with you as well and that's why I am so worried!

italeffect

Activity: 255

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:11:52 AM

Historically he has disappeared from the forums for weeks/months at a time

Dash: Xdopotr3eAHpsSCMkUyU2YWP3WQWb5X3t8
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 04:30:28 PM

It's now about a month ago that arepo stopped sending his newsletter. Still not a single word from him about the reason, not in the forum, not via email.

Unless he is seriously ill, or otherwise physically incapable of letting us know what is going on, I am now at the point where I have to assume he has been scamming the subscribers, that is: us.

By his own list of subscribers (and the corresponding price model -- old and new), he took in approximately 3 BTC according to my calculations, with a USD value at the time of around 1,500 USD (monthly exp average). Not a huge sum, but not entirely trivial either.

At this point, nothing short of a refund (full one, if he's serious about it, partial, as a fraction of the remaining newsletters if he just wants to save some face) for all subscribers who ask for it is appropriate.

justanickname

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:18:26 AM

It's now about a month ago that arepo stopped sending his newsletter. Still not a single word from him about the reason, not in the forum, not via email.

Unless he is seriously ill, or otherwise physically incapable of letting us know what is going on, I am now at the point where I have to assume he has been scamming the subscribers, that is: us.

By his own list of subscribers (and the corresponding price model -- old and new), he took in approximately 3 BTC according to my calculations, with a USD value at the time of around 1,500 USD (monthly exp average). Not a huge sum, but not entirely trivial either.

At this point, nothing short of a refund (full one, if he's serious about it, partial, as a fraction of the remaining newsletters if he just wants to save some face) for all subscribers who ask for it is appropriate.

Actually, He took at least 5 BTC more from me as a loan, which he suppose to repay in 5 weeks:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=509886.0

I can't call him a scammer because he still got time but I am worried! Embarrassed

Ultros

Activity: 471

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:36:23 AM

I find it very weird for such a good contributor to burn his identity on a forum just for the purpose of scamming 3 BTC when he could have grabbed at least tree times that number before doing such a move. He had new subscribers every weeks.

I'm afraid he met with some serious accident.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: