Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 06:32:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Dogecoin broken "random" block reward just as bad as a pre-mine? Discuss.  (Read 787 times)
socket (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:53:22 PM

I'm on the fence.  It seems to me this was a well known issue for awhile by Dogecoin development.  Basically creating an unfair mining environment and undermining the coins value and community trust.  Now, after their Reddit community started raising hell over it they seem to be taking it seriously.

Coins have failed for less around here... at least from what I can see.  How much different is this from a pre-mine if development clearly knew about the problem and is only now doing something about it?

I'm just interested in hearing some opinions.  Full disclosure, I have plenty of Dogecoin and stand to lose money since I bought at a number of prices higher then the current price.
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 02:57:24 PM

Zzzack

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:19:06 PM

I'm on the fence.  It seems to me this was a well known issue for awhile by Dogecoin development.  Basically creating an unfair mining environment and undermining the coins value and community trust.  Now, after their Reddit community started raising hell over it they seem to be taking it seriously.

Coins have failed for less around here... at least from what I can see.  How much different is this from a pre-mine if development clearly knew about the problem and is only now doing something about it?

I'm just interested in hearing some opinions.  Full disclosure, I have plenty of Dogecoin and stand to lose money since I bought at a number of prices higher then the current price.

Doge has 0 marginal technical utility over litecoin and is less advanced than many coins I wouldn't consider investing in.

The value comes from the community, which is slowing (still user growth, but fewer tips and posts on reddit=less involvement). I value doge at around 80 satoshi. I sold all of mine and will rebuy at that point as long as the community doesn't go far down hill

Producer
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:23:29 PM

I actually really like this Hazard.  Are you saying that Dogecoin is the perfect crypto for people who are inexperienced; that they should start with a few dogecoin, buying a few things here and there with the support of a community who genuinely welcome new members and having a bit of fun with an experimental currency without obsessing about the price?  I totally agree.

I don't think Jackson or Billy intended Dogecoin to be anything other than a joke and they kept the Luckycoin block reward because it was more effort to take it out.  The doge has a few fleas - it is true, but you wouldn't put him down for it would you?  Really?  Damn!

Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 04:31:26 PM

It's actually a jab at the developers who have no idea what the hell they're doing.

Your take on it is valid as well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: