Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:12:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk.org collectible coin?  (Read 4676 times)
chimk

Activity: 784
Merit: 814

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 12:44:05 AM

If the coin is successful, small circulation will create prerequisites for fakes, it is now commonplace. In the creation technology there should be complexity for protection against fakes.

If this is a reward, the serial numbers will let you know the story. There may be several degrees of merit and several variants of execution.

If this project is in the style of minimalism, then everything is much simpler. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chimk

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 12:54:40 AM

If the coin is successful, small circulation will create prerequisites for fakes, it is now commonplace. In the creation technology there should be complexity for protection against fakes.

If this is a reward, the serial numbers will let you know the story. There may be several degrees of merit and several variants of execution.

If this project is in the style of minimalism, then everything is much simpler. Smiley

Fakes commonplace?   where, please show me......

collectors always discuss a coin on the forum to make sure it is original. a lot of fakes, modern equipment has improved the quality of fakes. But each period had its own technology and there are small nuances of production. it makes sense if there is an expensive item.

dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2214
Merit: 1057

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 01:40:32 AM

id like to see more 2 try ounces of silver coins, single ounce would also be good. maybe a yearly release like steem coins?

space for rent, shilling for sats
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 01:41:07 AM

Interesting to see all these new faces in the collectibles section when theymos makes a post... loolz
It seems they were actively following all his topics and would chime in regardless of sections in which he posts!  Grin

If the coin is successful, small circulation will create prerequisites for fakes, it is now commonplace.
Is this really true? If the idea of the coin/bar/note is very unique and difficult to reproduce we won't be seeing much of these fakes probably. Casascius coins were one among the few rare coins to be copied and reproduced, apart from that I don't see much fakes being reproduced! If that was so, it would completely destroy the value of coin in long run. Even some common chips like satoris and BTCC and coins like Bitcoin Penny haven't been reproduced even though they are somewhat easier to fake when compared to other premium collectibles like Lealana and Kialaras.

a lot of fakes, modern equipment has improved the quality of fakes.
Have you encountered any fakes for Kialara moon suites or the recently produced Kialara Hydras?
What are your basis for these claims?
chimk

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 02:02:26 AM

If the coin is successful, small circulation will create prerequisites for fakes, it is now commonplace.
Is this really true? If the idea of the coin/bar/note is very unique and difficult to reproduce we won't be seeing much of these fakes probably. Casascius coins were one among the few rare coins to be copied and reproduced, apart from that I don't see much fakes being reproduced! If that was so, it would completely destroy the value of coin in long run. Even some common chips like satoris and BTCC and coins like Bitcoin Penny haven't been reproduced even though they are somewhat easier to fake when compared to other premium collectibles like Lealana and Kialaras.

a lot of fakes, modern equipment has improved the quality of fakes.
Have you encountered any fakes for Kialara moon suites or the recently produced Kialara Hydras?
What are your basis for these claims?
I am familiar only with the coins of the Russian Empire and the USSR. Very often attract high-end experts to determine. In Russian-speaking forums, it is often written that this is a threatening statistic both for the Middle Ages and for the 18th century and for the USSR. Although it is different technologies and metals. In rare instances, it has become customary to order a professional examination. I have seen a lot of sales, with a certificate in the kit.

Perhaps theymos will want to make an ordinary memorable copy, inexpensive. A copper medal with a good design will also be beautiful.

Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 1752

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 02:21:42 AM

collectors always discuss a coin on the forum to make sure it is original. a lot of fakes, modern equipment has improved the quality of fakes. But each period had its own technology and there are small nuances of production. it makes sense if there is an expensive item.

When?  Show at least one example of this happening.

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
chimk

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 02:41:10 AM

When?  Show at least one example of this happening.

I think they are referring to non-crypto coins. Wink
of course. Ordinary coins, numismatics. :)We are discussing coins from metal?))

if in the search to enter fake coins there will be many articles and photos.

Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 1752

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 02:57:55 AM
Merited by chimk (1)

Fakes commonplace?   where, please show me......

When?  Show at least one example of this happening.

I think they are referring to non-crypto coins. Wink
of course. Ordinary coins, numismatics. :)We are discussing coins from metal?))

if in the search to enter fake coins there will be many articles and photos.

We have many tools to determine fake coins, welcome to the collectibles section.

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
anonymousminer
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1242

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 03:14:47 AM
Last edit: February 18, 2019, 12:15:40 PM by anonymousminer

I just ask the OP to consult some of the ORIGINAL  collectors to keep from cocking up this good idea.  Last thing you need is too many damn cooks in the kitchen.  Just my 2 Satoshis.  Wink
teeGUMES
Legendary

Activity: 1253
Merit: 1203

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 03:15:33 AM
Merited by actmyname (1)

IMO I would like to see theymos get in contact with Kialara, smoothie (Lealana), and Mike Caldwell (Casascius). These guys have 1oz, 2oz coins on lockdown and create absolutely stunning pieces. Not to say we don't have some other very capable coin creators but those three come to mind as being very large parts of the growth of this particular board on the forum. I'd throw eodguy in there but so far the last coin he teased here seemed to never come to fruition. Mind you they could possibly already have a lot on their plate due to upcoming releases, but with the proper incentive and exposure im sure they could create something incredible.

We have some incredible holograms kicking around aswell.. use the resources we have and make this coin a must have.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 03:28:41 AM

Why is the number ranging from 50-300, isn't it pretty low for such a huge forum? Are there only 300 reputed members? May be you could give around 1000-2000 coins to all those willing to expose their location to you primarily since most of them remain anonymous. Also what would be the purpose of giving someone a collectible coin (which might be quite rare) if they doesn't know what it is?
50-300 is fine.

If we do not state a definite upper limit then we run into a Sorites paradox, where n+1 is as good as n and hence we arbitrarily increase.

bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 05:14:45 AM
Last edit: February 18, 2019, 05:38:34 AM by bitserve

This is a great idea.

If Mike Caldwell would do the run, as some people have suggested, that would be even more exciting as some sort of closing the loop from the first physicals.

To avoid counterfeits maybe a metal stamping (or laser engraving) machine could individually engrave a derivation of a user supplied public key so that an index of all originally issued coins can be published. Way better than a hologram unless someone intends to also store BTC on it (which I don't think is the point in this case).

Will keep on watching this thread Smiley

P.S.: Also it would be a good idea to make it from Silver. It's not like that would make it much more expensive to produce.

P.S.2: Titanium would also be great and it would in some way "show" the evolution from classic PM's to a more advanced store of value as Bitcoin represents. I think it is harder to manufacture (proof of work lol) though. Not sure... what do the experts say?

19VBmRQVqrtNTGiwngZutwREagcKxJgVZM
Hox

Activity: 751
Merit: 296

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 05:19:25 AM

Good idea. I'd like to see an assembled unfunded coin.

Coin.Community    
   A place for cryptocurrency collectors and artists.
Discover on the Coin Wiki. See all my coins for sale: Kialara, Casascius, Finite by Design, Satori coin and more.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10145

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 05:32:18 AM

IMO I would like to see theymos get in contact with Kialara, smoothie (Lealana), and Mike Caldwell (Casascius). These guys have 1oz, 2oz coins on lockdown and create absolutely stunning pieces. Not to say we don't have some other very capable coin creators but those three come to mind as being very large parts of the growth of this particular board on the forum. I'd throw eodguy in there but so far the last coin he teased here seemed to never come to fruition. Mind you they could possibly already have a lot on their plate due to upcoming releases, but with the proper incentive and exposure im sure they could create something incredible.

We have some incredible holograms kicking around aswell.. use the resources we have and make this coin a must have.

Overall, the idea of a 10-year commemorative coin seems decent, and perhaps could be a nice and symbolic thing to do.

I find some of the responsive comments in this thread to confuse me regarding: 1) the purpose of such coin, 2) the forum's historical discussions on coin-making/distribution topics, 3) whether an actual forum coin has either been attempted or carried out in the past and 4) what would be the budget for such a coin?

OP's outline of current contemplations did not help because in my thinking, there would be a considerable different purpose of such a coin depending on whether such coin were given out "all expenses paid" or "at cost," but either way, mailing addresses would need to be provided for recipients.

The quantity of coins being contemplated, such as 50-300 coins, seems to conceptualize the coins as a kind of "thank you for your contribution" token rather than a speculative collectors piece, but if the coins were going to be given out "at cost" then they might be more of a speculative piece that would justify a larger production of units, such as some responders suggested 1,000 to 2,000 coins (but maybe still could stick with 50-300 for the initial production batch to test out sentiment (pre-orders, too) even though considering a larger total amount, so long as the demand covers the costs of the coin).

Furthermore, depending on the coin materials, such coin costs and material value could reasonably be anywhere between $1 and $100, and of course, the more coins that are made would bring down the production cost per unit.  Several members mentioned silver as an upgrade, so maybe there are thoughts of cheaper coins too, yet perhaps gold would be a bit more classy... hahahahaha

As I have been thinking through the issue, I have been becoming somewhat torn about the whole idea, yet I am sort of inclined towards the idea of a "all expenses paid" give away coin rather than something more complicated in order to limit liability or accusations of profit making, yet I am still unclear about what kind of budget would theymos been anticipating. 

If the coin were given out "all expenses paid" then would the budget be $300, $3k or $30k or somewhere in the middle?
 Something like $1 x 300 or $10 x 300, or $100 x 300?  or if the purchasers of the coin were to pay for the coin, then there would have to be a perception of value from the users in terms of how much they would be willing to pay to cover the "costs" of such coin and also a willingness to provide a mailing address for receipt of such coin. 

Personally, the more that I think through this and type about it, I believe that it would be better to just establish a budget for the coin, and then provide the coins as a "give away" all expenses paid. Then the budget, such as $3k or $30k (or somewhere between) might dictate how many coins could be made for that amount, depending on if there would be access to people who are experienced in the coin-making business as teeGUMES mentioned.. or if the coin-making vender would be opened up for biddings and request for proposals (RFPs).

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 06:47:16 AM

It doesn't have to be pure gold or silver. Triple electroplated gold over tungsten would make it feel as heavy as gold and look just as good, but of course, that better be stated up front.

But then again, a precious metal collectible coin from "the" bitcointalk forum that isn't 0.999 of a particular metal ...

dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2214

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 08:53:31 AM

someone has stumbled onto a goldmine Smiley

space for rent, shilling for sats
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 09:01:16 AM

Load 10 coins with 10btc to celebrate 10 years.

Have a fun draw or other type of entry.

That would be cool.
Lincoln6Echo
Legendary

Activity: 2459

Don't use bitcoin.de if you care about privacy!

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 09:57:12 AM

IMHO an anniversary bitcointalk collectible coin would be awesome!

I would prefer something designed by Mike caldwell.

If it is difficult to make an loaded coin happen it could be something like the St. Petersburg bowl coin for example.

If it is a loaded coin it would be awesome if the privatekey is engraved which would drive up premium though.

Something very different would be an unique opendime design with a limited run.

crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1250

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 10:04:23 AM

I can't wait to see this in action. It lets me want to create a design too, but for me, it would be playing cards. Lol.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 18, 2019, 10:46:44 AM

For bitcointalk.org's 10th anniversary later this year, I was thinking that it might be cool to produce a limited run of 50-300 coins and give them out (maybe all-expenses-paid or maybe at cost) to users who meet some to-be-determined criteria. I'm not a collector, though, so I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff.

- Does this sound like a good idea?
 - What features would make the coin especially interesting?
 - What's the best way to get a coin like this made?

Gold coins loaded with BTC - is there anything better then that?  Grin

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌