Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:03:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: <New Feature Request> Personal Trust list backup/history?  (Read 211 times)
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 08:41:45 AM

This is an issue I've faced at the begging of the new trust system changes.
I accidentally deleted my whole trust list and luckily I had it open in another tab so I mange to save it back but I'm sure other people would not have been so lucky. Read some posts that people have deleted their lists by mistake and had no backups, thanks to LoyceV things have changed a bit but still we have to rely on 3rd party services * and I think this should be implemented in the forum.

Now since the custom lists are more and more used can we just store the last list saved list. It can be crucial for the DTs. It's difficult to remember all inclusions and exclusions.

*- I personally have no problem trusting those services as I trust LoyceV, but I guess there are also people not willing to use them.

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceMobile

Activity: 1655
Merit: 687

LoyceV on the road. Or couch.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2019, 09:22:11 AM

You can use theymos' weekly data dump to restore your trust list to last week's version.

LoyceV on the road Advertise here for LN Don't deal with this account (exception)
Advertise here for LN Tip my kids Exchange LN (20 coins). 1% fee. No KYC <€50/month
My useful topics: Meritt & Trust & Moreee Art Advertise here for LN Foru[url=https://bitcointalk.org/m
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 09:42:35 AM

You can use theymos' weekly data dump to restore your trust list to last week's version.

Great, then this can be only indicated in the trust page with a link to dump maybe. A good way to post the dumps can be in the More menu.
BTW I see a new sub-menu "Contacts", that's good.  Every time you need to find some dump, you need to go trough theymos post history. Maybe this is intended to be so and only those interested can find it with easy.

r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 10:42:36 AM

Slightly offtopic. Is there any way to read the theymos data dump in window's machine. I was unable to open that  these dump files in my machine and I assume you guys might be using Unix/Linux system.

I am alive
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 11:02:15 AM

Is there any way to read the theymos data dump in window's machine.
You mean http://bitcointalk.org/trust.txt.xz and https://bitcointalk.org/merit.txt.xz? I've opened them before in Windows, it should work just fine. If I recall correctly, opening them in notepad gives you a block of text that is very hard to read, but if you open them in WordPad, Microsoft Word or a free word processor like WPS Office, they should format in to a nice, easily readable list. You obviously need an extractor program first, something like WinRAR or 7-Zip.
TheBeardedBaby (OP)
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 25, 2019, 11:27:03 AM

^This is also a nice example that not all the users are so "techy" and what I suggested can help them a lot Smiley

Of course everything can be fixed with help of the community here Smiley

DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 10757

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2019, 12:47:23 PM

Both files are easily viewable from within Excel. For example, from within Excel 2016, to be able to read the http://bitcointalk.org/trust.txt.xz  file (once uncompressed), simply open it from within:

File-> open (search for file within directory) -> Text Import Wizard (delimited by Tab, with no header). The result is something like this:
Code:
theymos->HostFat
theymos->dooglus
theymos->Raize
theymos->Meni Rosenfeld
theymos->Maged
theymos->Raoul Duke
theymos->gmaxwell
theymos->OgNasty
theymos-/>CanaryInTheMine
theymos->zvs
<…>
That is easily readable, and searchable using <Ctrl F>. The only drawback in relation to @Iasenko’s proposal is that it will be a snapshot as of last Saturday morning.

Alternatively, from within a Google spreadsheet you can perform an import of each file, and get something like this is under a minute: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R_wmxUrkGeBdiS9xv-UHFSJWghqyYpssJYf24t7177Y/edit?usp=sharing
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: