Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:59:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ponzi accusations  (Read 2214 times)
bananas (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:46:36 PM

Many journalists have been lately saying that, but it seems they never cared to check fiat currencies.

The concept is absolutely the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_appreciation_and_depreciation

Anyone who read newspaper everyday, is probably sick of reading headlines like "<your local currency here> appreciated with the entry of $? usd dollars in the country. Investors are optmistic."(purchase of local currency) or the other way around "<your local currency here> devalued with the escape of $? usd dollars from the country. Investors in panick. " ( selling of local currency )

It is the same for gold etc. Before someone says that, gold has an actual use, but bitcoins too.
Toby!

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:54:27 PM

Many journalists have been lately saying that, but it seems they never cared to check fiat currencies.

Anyone who read newspaper everyday, is probably sick of reading headlines like "<your local currency here> appreciated with the entry of $? usd dollars in the country. Investors are optmistic."(purchase of local currency) or the other way around "<your local currency here> devalued with the escape of $? usd dollars from the country. Investors in panick. " ( selling of local currency )

It is the same for gold etc. Before someone says that, gold has an actual use, but bitcoins too.

I think you're confused about what a ponzi scheme is.
bananas (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:58:32 PM

I believe i am not, but i'm not entering the merit of what a ponzi is. If you been reading the news, jounalists have been accusing bitcoin of being a ponzi where the valuation is sustained only by the entry of new money. Supposing that it is true, fact is that fiat the same happens with fiat currencies.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:00:35 PM

Maybe you should let them know that there is no bigger ponzi SCAM than fiat currency: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=510710.0

greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:03:17 PM

All allegations of Ponzi I'm seeing center around one very clear thread. They confuse "price" with "value" and are convinced that Bitcoin has no inherent value outside of new fiat money coming in. Thus the claim goes that newer adopters become the bag-holders for earlier-adopters.

Once you point out that a Ponzi scheme is a very specific thing where investors are defrauded by a single entity paying older investors with money from mew investors, then the conversation suddenly becomes "whatever, then it's a Pyramid".

I guess a form of money where your balance is secured by the largest single-task supercomputing cluster ever assembled in history, that lets you pay anybody in the world with no intermediary institution for almost zero fee has no inherent value!
KJO

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:07:23 PM

No, I think YOU are confused about what a ponzi scheme is.

Fiat backed by nothing printed at will with no fixed supply by the issuer and buyer of last resort.

They have taken the seigniorage away and replaced it with a GAAP debt-slavery system based on credit that does not exist and was originally created not by the lendor but by the lendee!
IrishFutbol

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:19:45 PM

1. Your friends are confusing bubble with ponzi scheme.

2. It's not the same as fiat currency.  No one buys dollars to stuff under their bed with the hope of striking it rich.  And the big difference between fiat and bitcoin is the regulations.  Fiat currencies are designed to operate at stated inflation rates (UK) or generally targeted inflation rates (US).  They're built to have a set value that doesn't fluctuate wildly.  Bitcoin doesn't have this.  As there's no ability to adjust the supply of the currency, it could skyrocket or plummet and there's little investors could do.
bananas (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:43:10 PM

2. It's not the same as fiat currency.  No one buys dollars to stuff under their bed with the hope of striking it rich.  And the big difference between fiat and bitcoin is the regulations.  Fiat currencies are designed to operate at stated inflation rates (UK) or generally targeted inflation rates (US).  They're built to have a set value that doesn't fluctuate wildly.  Bitcoin doesn't have this.  As there's no ability to adjust the supply of the currency, it could skyrocket or plummet and there's little investors could do.

The reasons do not matter, but trust me, many people do trade fiat currencies to get rich.
bbeagle

Activity: 63

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:52:28 PM

The reasons do not matter, but trust me, many people do trade fiat currencies to get rich.

Not anywhere near the same.

1. Buy $1000 worth of any fiat currency of your choice.
2. Put it under your bed.
3. Wait 10 years.
4. Congratulations! You're a millionaire!

Fiat currency does not do this, but this is EXACTLY what 95% of the bitcoin 'investors' are hoping for.
bananas (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:04:38 PM

Not anywhere near the same.

1. Buy $1000 worth of any fiat currency of your choice.
2. Put it under your bed.
3. Wait 10 years.
4. Congratulations! You're a millionaire!

Fiat currency does not do this, but this is EXACTLY what 95% of the bitcoin 'investors' are hoping for.

I understand your point but Bitcoin was never released or promoted as an investment, people who decided to invest are doing this on their own and taking a very high risk. ANY investment fits what those journalists are describing as a ponzi. I read one journalist who called it "voluntary ponzi", he somewhat understand what i just said but ignored that all other investments are the same.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1121

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:05:20 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 09:15:48 PM by superresistant

The world economy is a damn Ponzi scheme.

It rely on lies : infinite growing economy, infinite resources, blind trust in the church "Economy".

It is build to fail : exponentially growing dept, exponentially growing FIAT supply, exponentially growing inequalities, environmental destruction.

The ones who come early get rich, the others die miserably. The ones in between work in McDonald.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:16:22 PM

It rely on lies : infinite growing economy, infinite resources, blind trust in the church "Economy".

It is build to fail : exponentially growing dept, exponentially growing FIAT supply, exponentially growing inequalities, environmental destruction.

The ones who come early get rich, the others die miserably. The ones in between work in McDonald.

Then I suppose it is safe to say that we are from the early adopters?

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:19:18 PM

Anyone that thinks that Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme either doesn't understand what a Ponzi scheme is or they don't understand how Bitcoin works ... or they are redefining "Ponzi scheme" for their own purposes.

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation where the operator, an individual or organization, pays returns to its investors from new capital paid to the operators by new investors, rather than from profit earned by the operator.

Bitcoin has no operator, "it" does not pay returns, and "it" does not claim to earn a profit. It cannot be a Ponzi scheme. It is that simple.

Furthermore, the reasons that are generally given to support the claim also apply to gold, so gold must also be claimed to be a Ponzi scheme.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
IrishFutbol

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:20:32 PM

First, most people who do this lose money very quickly.  Second, the people who do this are normally in and out of the market very quickly.  Anyone who plans to hold a foreign currency for a long period of time will invest in foreign equities and bonds, not just in the currency.  No one holds onto Euros, Dollars, etc. to get rich.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 09:28:44 PM

Then I suppose it is safe to say that we are from the early adopters?
Yes, we are early bitcoin adopters.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
KJO

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:32:01 PM

First, most people who do this lose money very quickly.  Second, the people who do this are normally in and out of the market very quickly.  Anyone who plans to hold a foreign currency for a long period of time will invest in foreign equities and bonds, not just in the currency.  No one holds onto Euros, Dollars, etc. to get rich.

I guess you have no idea what seigniorage is. Sheesh good grief.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:32:18 PM

All allegations of Ponzi I'm seeing center around one very clear thread. They confuse "price" with "value" and are convinced that Bitcoin has no inherent value outside of new fiat money coming in. Thus the claim goes that newer adopters become the bag-holders for earlier-adopters.

Once you point out that a Ponzi scheme is a very specific thing where investors are defrauded by a single entity paying older investors with money from mew investors, then the conversation suddenly becomes "whatever, then it's a Pyramid".

To a lot of people, "Ponzi scheme" is just a general term for anything economic that they don't like.  The good thing about this kind of terminology is you can easily identify idiots whose opinions can be safely ignored.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 09:38:38 PM

I guess you have no idea what seigniorage is. Sheesh good grief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seigniorage
There we go.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:18:39 AM

I guess a form of money where your balance is secured by the largest single-task supercomputing cluster ever assembled in history, that lets you pay anybody in the world with no intermediary institution for almost zero fee has no inherent value!

The secure network gives BTC value, and...
The BTC story does have some amazing similarities to a Ponzi.   Cheesy

tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:06:42 AM

The only similarity between Bitcoin and a ponzi scheme is that in a ponzi scheme, the earlier you get in on it, the more money you leave with. In Bitcoin, even the late adopters will make money on it, and the end goal is that you never "cash out" like you would in a ponzi scheme.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: