Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:51:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A BitCoin StackExchange - please follow it!  (Read 6507 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 12:22:28 PM

I'm tired of not having a definitive place to get good answers on BitCoin. Sure, bitcoin.org forums are great, but forums SUCK at generating quality answers.

If you feel the same or are just curious, please follow this proposal, and nominate questions as either "on topic", "off topic", and "not a good example".

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/30763/bitcoin

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 12:23:27 PM

We already have witcoin, this seems like exactly the same thing without the tiny fees.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 12:25:27 PM

P.S.

I suggested this last week, but was told that "there's witcoin".
While witcoin is great as a POC of the BitCoin idea, it's kind of sucky at the moment (_very_ premature, lots of missing features).

I think starting a Q&A site on BitCoin on Stack Exchange can only help our cause.
Stack Exchange is proven technology that just works. It doesn't mean you should stop using witcoin, but I believe the BitCoin Stack Exchange has a potential to reach maturity way before witcoin.

Besides, witcoin is not a Q&A site (before Stack Overflow, there was Digg).

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 12:55:50 PM

Agreed with stack overflow format. Web forums suck.
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 01:35:29 PM

We already have witcoin, this seems like exactly the same thing without the tiny fees.

I just recently referenced a couple differences comparing witcoin to other sites and forums.

Notable differences include:

category syndication
rank sorting involving latest activity timestamp and rank value using Wilson score confidence interval for a Bernoulli parameter for vote count and a few other methods of sorting

that's all I can think of for now
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2011, 08:38:16 PM

About a week passed, so I'm bumping this thread.
We got 27 followers out of the required 60 - almost half way there!

Keep following & sharing to get this going.

Anonymous

April 05, 2011, 11:02:25 PM

Thanks for the recommendation but witcoin isnt a Q and A site . We thought about adding that functionality but decided it would be better to split Q and A into its own site but still using bitcoin to pay answerers.

More on that later.....

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 03:38:59 AM

About a week passed, so I'm bumping this thread.
We got 27 followers out of the required 60 - almost half way there!

Keep following & sharing to get this going.
+1

And if you raged at a newbie today, you definitely need to find 5 more followers for the proposal!!!

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 08:24:06 AM

Agreed. Creating our own stackexchange is crucial to our survival.

It's truly a great system. I use it regularly. Will sign up right now!
gigabytecoin

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 08:28:36 AM

Except for the tiny fact that stackexchange is already known, trusted and loved by millions of computer programmers.
eMansipater

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 08:36:56 AM

Except for the tiny fact that stackexchange is already known, trusted and loved by millions of computer programmers.
Plus it has an interface specifically designed for the task, such as badges and scoring that help new users immediately identify who knows what they're talking about.  Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an official badge on the forums for "one of the core developers verifies that this person actually understands bitcoin", and maybe people's OTC web of trust rating.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 12:39:51 PM

Agreed with stack overflow format. Web forums suck.

Stack overflow is great. The interesting thing is to separate the good answers from the bad. On a forum thread with say 15 pages and 245 responses it is not easy to separate the quality from the garbage. Some kind of voting system to vote up the best contribution and then somehow being able to sort the posts in a thread on a "value ranking" would be something to consider.

But that being said, I love forums, even if they sometimes are ineffective. I think it is a great way to communicate.

But I think the thread starter missed out a little bit. If someone is serious about making a site with a service, get a good domain name. Then just go for it. Either the site will be a success or a failure, either way a domain name is something you need to look professional. And make it easy to use. If people always have to register to vote and submit text, then many won't even bother.

Good luck with the site, I wish you all the best!
gigabytecoin

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 06:26:07 PM

Plus it has an interface specifically designed for the task, such as badges and scoring that help new users immediately identify who knows what they're talking about.  Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an official badge on the forums for "one of the core developers verifies that this person actually understands bitcoin", and maybe people's OTC web of trust rating.

Exactly.

I have always thought that even adding a "thanks" button to this forum would increase the ease with which I could read through this forum.

Lots of trolls on here just saying whatever comes to mind.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 09:40:09 PM

I like it.  If it becomes popular and useful, I'd suggest linking to it from the bitcoin.org front page.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Anonymous

April 07, 2011, 06:37:51 AM

Maybe a smf forum plugin would be a useful addition.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 06:47:38 PM

Bumping the thread again.

Also, you need to vote on on and off topic questions for this proposal to move ahead.
A question is considered on/off topic if it receives 20 such votes.

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2011, 02:13:26 PM

Another bump. We need one on-topic question, and four off-topic questions to move to the next phase - please vote!

eMansipater

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2011, 04:56:58 PM

To clarify, for those of you who don't know how the "Area 51" site works:

a question doesn't count towards the needed limit until it receives at least 20 on- or off- topic votes.  So don't just add questions unless you have a really good one--look through and vote up the ones that will best define the boundaries of what the site should be.

nereer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Why settle for the lesser evil?

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 05:29:41 PM

Just signed up today.

cmon people! Smiley
stackexchange is a truly great web app - it's just such a well designed interface/system. Even this Area 51 staging site is fascinating (I hadn't seen it before), its using that whole gameification thing to encourage interest while at the same time finding out which sites are worth accepting. I've been using SO for years and it is always useful, a bitcoin exchange could work really well.

If you agree that Bitcoin needs a dedicated Q & A site please sign up for the Bitcoin StackExchange site!
PLATO

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 06:37:40 PM

edit stupidity removed

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: