Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:48:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Evaluation of tokens in new ICOs  (Read 209 times)
AWhiteRook (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 09:11:02 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2019, 09:41:12 AM by AWhiteRook

Update 1 on April 4 2019

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your helpful responses! It's very interesting and encouraging to read your comments, as quite a few new ideas were found and some common theories were verified.

Now I have just one question left, which should've been more visible had I worded the original questions better: for the ICOs that you indeed invested in, what affected your decision on the quantity of tokens to buy? Did you just spend all the budgets you readied, or did factors such as the ICO's progress, etc. had major influence?

========== Original Post Below ==========

Greetings, I'm Max, a university research student currently studying the agents' (in a game theory sense) valuation of tokens in ICOs. This research has just started, and I hope I might get some input that could inspire me to build the model for agent types.

I saw there are some discussions on this forum on the valuation of Bitcoin. I wonder whether you had derived similar methods to evaluate other tokens at the ICO stage? When you participated in other ICOs, what affected your decision of when and how much money you would throw into the ICO? Is your strategy in participating in ICOs affected by any particular information?

For example, there are coins that had been identified as similar to currencies, shares (securities), and of course, unique utility tokens. Was your decision heavily influenced by these?

Both technical discussions (such as those in this paper: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317622939_Blockchain_and_the_Economics_of_Crypto-tokens_and_Initial_Coin_Offerings) and general comments are very welcome!
tetyulfania

Activity: 653
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 09:54:32 AM

We need evaluation of quality for all ICO coin investment, we need new way how to make bitcoin and altcoin price could be on higher price and have best higher value for the future, we need it keep on higher.
alisafidel58

Activity: 364
Merit: 127

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 10:28:06 AM

I wonder whether you had derived similar methods to evaluate other tokens at the ICO stage?

When ICO's came out on its early stage. I kept looking for its roadmap and compare other ICO's roadmap.

When you participated in other ICOs, what affected your decision of when and how much money you would throw into the ICO?

The road map and how the developers of the coin dedication on pursuing its roadmap and white paper.

Is your strategy in participating in ICOs affected by any particular information?

Yes, is the company for real or not nowadays most ICO that are coming in the market is a scam.

Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

-Realistic Roadmap
-Developers Transparency
-Big Community
-Project Realistic Usage and Benefits.

These are the things i do consider when eying a certain project.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
..FAST DEPOSITS .........
..AND WITHDRAWALS..
    ▄▄████████▄▄                        ▄██████▄
  ▄███████▀██████▄                   ▄██████████▄
 ██████ ▀▀ ▄ █████       ██          ▄████████████▄
████████  ▄▀▄ ▀██▀      ▄███       ▄███          ███▄
███████▄  ▀▀▀ ▄██      ▄█████▄    ████████    ███████
███████  ██▀  ▄██     ████████▄   ███▀ ▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▀██
█████▄▄  ▀▀▄   ██▄    ▀▀█████▀▀   █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
 ██████ █ ▄ ▄█████    ▀▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▀   ████████    ██████▀
  ▀███████████████     ▀█████      ▀██████▄▄▄▄████▀▀
    ▀▀█████████▀         ███         ▀▀████████▀▀
..WHEEL OF..
..FORTUNE...
.WELCOME OFFER .
......200% + 50FS.....
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██████
████████████▀▀▀    ██████
███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
████▄     ▄█▀     ███████
███████▄ █▀      ████████
████████▌▐       ████████
█████████ ▄██▄  █████████
███████████████▄█████████
▀███████████████████████▀

.PLAY NOW.
[/ta
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 12:20:48 PM

The current ICO market needs to be evaluated in other to fine out the real coin's that are still at their ICO stage and how to invest in them in other to make the best out of the project. Because there have been a lot of scam this day any way poster I wish you the best in your research.
jhonjhon

Activity: 1316
Merit: 126

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 01:52:51 PM

Usually we mostly have the same strategies used to find ICO's and evaluation as well.
-Looking into the roadmap, analyzing their whitepaper, searching for legit team members behind and possible exchanges shoulder after the event.
But regarding of its token value after listed in any exchanges, will it depends on the market exchanges since that prices may subject to change depending on the market demand.
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 02:14:41 PM

It has never been about the price, it has never been about the "value" in an economic sense, it has always been what they are bringing to the table that really mattered the most for me. I have researched maybe 100+ ICO's in my life and I have invested in many coins years ago that literally didn't exist in one minute and than published their wallet the next minute to actually "start" a new coin, so I remember the pre-ico times as well.

The one most important aspect is the difference from all other coins, if a coin and its blockchain is exactly the same as something else than I never invest into it, if they are bringing something new and needed to the community than I do invest.

I still have a lot of Nano for example I got into it during raiblocks and early and I still like it even though it dropped a lot, because I don't care about the price, I care that it is the fastest and cheapest transaction possible in crypto world. So when I invest its the code that matters and the features that matters, not the price.
reda

Activity: 910
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 03:51:22 PM

We can contribute the ICO as investors, team member, bounty manager and bounty participants from bitcointalk. These projects comes up with the proposal and want to make money. Lets everyone earn, I do not bother about that but fake ICO projects getting works from the people for tokens and use their work effort on site.

We should have some product as the proof or trust on team. If we do not have anything then crowdfunding what they are making is really going to shit also with your hard earned money.
madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 2057

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 06:01:10 PM

I think that most investors are trying to invest in the project, which makes closed sales of tokens, where it is very difficult to get to a simple investor. Recently, the initial sale of tokens satisfied through the exchanges. But I do not know how much it will still work. I invest in projects that I analyze myself. It happens that my investments do not bring a positive result.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
rizkyhiw
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 06:05:28 PM

We need evaluation of quality for all ICO coin investment, we need new way how to make bitcoin and altcoin price could be on higher price and have best higher value for the future, we need it keep on higher.
Evaluation is indispensable for progress now where all ICOs must be screened in more detail where fraud and failure are very much here which can make the market a little bad for everyone, indeed all risks are borne alone but it would be better to evaluate together, very good comparisons from ICO both with fake ICO with a road map rather unclear.
alonelyorange

Activity: 532

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 06:17:28 PM

We have evaluate how ICO could dump price, never make fault with always bounty participants make price dump because they have got little reward for your coin allocation.
eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 12:19:18 AM

I saw there are some discussions on this forum on the valuation of Bitcoin. I wonder whether you had derived similar methods to evaluate other tokens at the ICO stage? When you participated in other ICOs, what affected your decision of when and how much money you would throw into the ICO? Is your strategy in participating in ICOs affected by any particular information?
When you are investing into something in this market and that too in an ICO there are several factors that you take into consideration on how much amount you want to invest are, the team behind the project and the solutions they are planning to sort with their project, there were many scams who showcased better product in paper and never fulfilled anything, taking these risks i usually invest earlier in ICO.
alonelyorange

Activity: 532

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 02:02:28 AM

You have check and evaluate about new ICO want to invest, not all  ICO are potential to get profit and have higher price after listing on exchange market, many ICO have lower and dump price after listing.
mrdeposit

Activity: 1358
Merit: 509

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2019, 05:25:11 PM

The newly created money should be promising. So, after you spend a lot of time on this market, you can understand that. Then you can choose good and bad. Also, if you look thoroughly, there are tens of money belonging to one sector, but just one or two are in good condition.
raven7886
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1041

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 07:53:00 PM

You have check and evaluate about new ICO want to invest, not all  ICO are potential to get profit and have higher price after listing on exchange market, many ICO have lower and dump price after listing.
It’s common now for investors to just dump a project immediately after they get listed on exchange, the is the new trend every investor follows not, even those project that looks very promising, they don’t wait for the investment to mature before they pluck it out and these are the thing killing majorities of project whether they genuine or not.

Even if you as an investor do your own evaluation and you come to conclusion that is worth it and ready to stay with the project for a long term, what about the other investors that have another mind about it, some are just in for the little profit and dump the coin at any little chance they get. This will make the project not to grow whether it’s being evaluated or not.
barbara44

Activity: 2422
Merit: 605

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 04:46:44 AM

What mostly inspire me to invest in a coin is not just the profit I am thinking about , but if it is going to be a project that will be worth the waiting in case I decide to invest in it for a long time, it must also have a working product that will be very high in demands because that will be only guarantee that the ICO will survive after entering exchange in case some investors decide to dump the coin.

It is when I am satisfied about the idea of the project and I am convinced enough that it is a project that will be of high demand that I look into my pocket to see how much I can afford to invest on the project and at the same time, what I can afford to let go incase of any eventuality.

robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 1208

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2019, 04:53:51 AM
Merited by Saisher (1)

I evaluate the token I intend to promote and invest, by what they can bring into the table, what problems are they going to solve and contribute to the community, and of course what will they envisioned to be in their place in the market, people are investing for long term investment and they want to be a part of something huge.

CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 4210

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2019, 05:11:49 AM

When you participated in other ICOs, what affected your decision of when and how much money you would throw into the ICO? Is your strategy in participating in ICOs affected by any particular information?

Back in early 2017 when i picked interest in investing in ICOs what affected my judgement the most was the team behind the project. I'm a believe of the school of thought, "A bad project with a good team have higher chances of succeeding than a good project with a bad team", next for me was what the project has to offers and how achievable are those goals. I was more attracted to projects that was bringing something new more than just another utility token\coins. Those were my two most important criteria.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Bitcoin Miners

Activity: 440
Merit: 100

Roobet

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 05:36:21 AM

"A bad project with a good team have higher chances of succeeding than a good project with a bad team"
What is the point here, I don't get it honestly?
A bad project can have good team, because maybe they lost their directions somehow, but due to they are good teams, they might come back on right track later.
A good project can not has a bad team. It is the point I don't get your opinion.

AWhiteRook (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 09:51:10 AM

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your input. I was very excited and happy to read your replies, which verified a lot of my assumptions while suggesting new ones; and I really appreciate the examples you provided.

Indeed whether the ICO is a pump and dump or some similar scam is a critical determinant with quite a few studies on it. I suppose my original question could be better refined to: given that you believe the project is not a scam, and given that the price of token in the ICO is fixed, what factors did you consider when deciding how many tokens to buy?

And the rest of this reply will be responses to everyone's comments, so it will get a bit long. Please excuse the mess and do let me know if there's a nicer to do this.

This is interesting. Could you please specify what you meant by "how to make bitcoin"? And are you suggesting dissociating new coins from Bitcoin (e.g. by accepting other payments) and therefore the fluctuations in Bitcoin's value?

When ICO's came out on its early stage. I kept looking for its roadmap and compare other ICO's roadmap.
The road map and how the developers of the coin dedication on pursuing its roadmap and white paper.
Yes, is the company for real or not nowadays most ICO that are coming in the market is a scam.

Yeah, this is definitely necessary. I have been quite concerned with the limited information available for verifying ICOs. And even the team had provided their real identifications, it's still hard to tell whether they're serious about their project if they don't have previous successful projects to showcase (which would also be understandable in the case of honest development teams).

-Realistic Roadmap
-Developers Transparency
-Big Community
-Project Realistic Usage and Benefits.

These are the things i do consider when eying a certain project.

Yeah, big community seems to be a really good point, as it implies more information will be available, etc.

The current ICO market needs to be evaluated in other to fine out the real coin's that are still at their ICO stage and how to invest in them in other to make the best out of the project. Because there have been a lot of scam this day any way poster I wish you the best in your research.

It's exactly for this reason that I dared not participate in the ICO market myself XD Thank you very much and best wishes to your work/studies too.

Usually we mostly have the same strategies used to find ICO's and evaluation as well.
-Looking into the roadmap, analyzing their whitepaper, searching for legit team members behind and possible exchanges shoulder after the event.
But regarding of its token value after listed in any exchanges, will it depends on the market exchanges since that prices may subject to change depending on the market demand.

Yep, and what a volatile market it is XD

The one most important aspect is the difference from all other coins, ...

Yes, I also believe the most important trait of a coin is its uniqueness. Though since the ICO stage is usually quite far away from having a running system of the project, would you not prefer to purchase the tokens when the actual services are available? Or do you usually contribute to ICOs with amounts that represent your faith and support for the project, if you don't mind me asking?

We should have some product as the proof or trust on team. ...

Yeah, solid working product. This reminds me of part of the Agile Manifesto: working software over comprehensive documentation. This fits so well with the ICO scenario XD

I think that most investors are trying to invest in the project, which makes closed sales of tokens, where it is very difficult to get to a simple investor. Recently, the initial sale of tokens satisfied through the exchanges. But I do not know how much it will still work. I invest in projects that I analyze myself. It happens that my investments do not bring a positive result.

By closed sales of tokens, did you mean that some ICOs were private to some investors only, or some ICOs were finished by large investors while individual investors couldn't participate in them even if they wanted to? Either case, that's quite true from what I gathered too.

And could you please tell a bit more on how "the initial sale of tokens satisfied through the exchanges"?

We have evaluate how ICO could dump price, never make fault with always bounty participants make price dump because they have got little reward for your coin allocation.

Excuse me, when you said "little reward", did you mean that the bounty participants get almost no reward for people joining ICOs, or some reward (a little) for people joining?

When you are investing into something in this market and that too in an ICO there are several factors that you take into consideration on how much amount you want to invest are, the team behind the project and the solutions they are planning to sort with their project, there were many scams who showcased better product in paper and never fulfilled anything, taking these risks i usually invest earlier in ICO.

Hmm, then may I ask why would you prefer to invest earlier? Is it because of the early investment rewards?

Yep, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I make such an investment XD

The newly created money should be promising. So, after you spend a lot of time on this market, you can understand that. Then you can choose good and bad. Also, if you look thoroughly, there are tens of money belonging to one sector, but just one or two are in good condition.

Well, being able to tell the good from the bad is certainly most advantageous in making investments. But I won't ask your secret of success here XD

It’s common now for investors to just dump a project immediately after they get listed on exchange, the is the new trend every investor follows not, even those project that looks very promising, they don’t wait for the investment to mature before they pluck it out and these are the thing killing majorities of project whether they genuine or not.

Even if you as an investor do your own evaluation and you come to conclusion that is worth it and ready to stay with the project for a long term, what about the other investors that have another mind about it, some are just in for the little profit and dump the coin at any little chance they get. This will make the project not to grow whether it’s being evaluated or not.

Exactly, these kinds of problems, or inefficiencies in some cases, are nasty problems found quite common in economics. And I'm ashamed to say that I myself had consider just buying tokens and selling them for profit, not considering the health of the project.

What mostly inspire me to invest in a coin is not just the profit I am thinking about , but if it is going to be a project that will be worth the waiting in case I decide to invest in it for a long time, it must also have a working product that will be very high in demands because that will be only guarantee that the ICO will survive after entering exchange in case some investors decide to dump the coin.

It is when I am satisfied about the idea of the project and I am convinced enough that it is a project that will be of high demand that I look into my pocket to see how much I can afford to invest on the project and at the same time, what I can afford to let go incase of any eventuality.

Sounds very reasonable; thank you very much for answering XD

I evaluate the token I intend to promote and invest, by what they can bring into the table, what problems are they going to solve and contribute to the community, and of course what will they envisioned to be in their place in the market, people are investing for long term investment and they want to be a part of something huge.

Indeed, thank you for your answer XD

Back in early 2017 when i picked interest in investing in ICOs what affected my judgement the most was the team behind the project. I'm a believe of the school of thought, "A bad project with a good team have higher chances of succeeding than a good project with a bad team", next for me was what the project has to offers and how achievable are those goals. I was more attracted to projects that was bringing something new more than just another utility token\coins. Those were my two most important criteria.

I hope teams you invested in didn't disappoint you. Thanks for answering XD

"A bad project with a good team have higher chances of succeeding than a good project with a bad team"
What is the point here, I don't get it honestly?
A bad project can have good team, because maybe they lost their directions somehow, but due to they are good teams, they might come back on right track later.
A good project can not has a bad team. It is the point I don't get your opinion.

While I certainly don't know what CryptopreneurBrainboss thought, here's a guess based on my limited knowledge in software engineering:

If we define the goodness of a project to be its motivating idea (what it means to bring to the table), and the goodness of a team to be the member's experience and execution power, then we might argue that a brilliant idea may not be realized by poor team organizers or programmers, and a mediocre idea can be transformed into working software by an experienced team, however mundane the project itself is.

Finally, thanks again for your answers. I only have one last question on given you were determined to participate in an ICO, what affected your decisions on how many tokens to buy (assuming the price is fixed during the ICO)?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: