Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:12:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why there is so much fuss about decentralized exchanges  (Read 621 times)
omi121 (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 06:35:44 AM

Recently I came across an article about the future of decentralized exchanges and how they are going to transform the centralized exchanges. One thing that clearly mentioned is that decentralized exchanges are secure and impossible (kind of) to hack as no central entity is running/controlling them. However, I heard about the security breach of Bancor and waves DEX. So what's the point of decentralized exchanges if they are still being hacked Huh   
RasenShuriken

Activity: 560
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 06:42:42 AM

I dont think that most of the people around the world would thinking if decentralized exchange is the future, since there are so many lacks about it.
omi121 (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 06:54:15 AM

I dont think that most of the people around the world would thinking if decentralized exchange is the future, since there are so many lacks about it.

That's my point as well. Ethereum's Vitalik, Binance CZ and many other influencers are embracing the decentralized exchanges but we are also hearing the news of security breaches. 
Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 07:42:09 AM

That's my point as well. Ethereum's Vitalik, Binance CZ and many other influencers are embracing the decentralized exchanges but we are also hearing the news of security breaches. 
Not all of those DEX become the true decentralized exchange site. They are seeing the potential of DEX but this will need a lot of time. Remember there was no perfect exchange site and they are all having the same chance to get a problem in the security.
bisdak40

Activity: 2324
Merit: 552

This too shall pass

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 07:55:56 AM

Exchanges, may it be DEX or CEX are not safe from security breaches. Based on statistics, there were more hacking on the centralized exchanges and the recent one is Cryptopia which myself is a victim since i have not recovered my funds though not that big but still it's frustrating. My view on DEX is that we control our account which for me is important since that is our very own money and should not be trusted to companies that run centralized exchanges. CEX though they emphasize more on their security but still they are the ones controlling the funds of people.
KingDome

Activity: 434
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 07:58:19 AM

Decentralized exchange, most of them have a great transparency, but lacks of security. Centralized exchange, it can be manipulated but it has very high security.
pushups44

Activity: 854
Merit: 281

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 08:02:35 AM

There can never be bullet-proof software as complex as a DEX, but if it's open-source and extensively tested, then it should become pretty fail-safe. Trustworthiness will always be on a continuum. The key for a successful DEX is not just security but also scalability and useability.
CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 4198

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 08:14:47 AM

Quote from: omi121 link=topic=5129708.msg50523443#msg50523443
However, I heard about the security breach of Bancor and waves DEX. So what's the point of decentralized exchanges if they are still being hacked Huh  

I can tell you for a fact, we haven't gotten an exchange that's totally decentralized, all those exchange are just semi-centralized ones hiding in the name of decentralized exchange. When something is decentralized is meaan you have control over all information and no 3rd party is involved now how are these scamming getting access to private keys if no third party storing them? We're not yet there when we talk about totally decentralized exchange, so for now when accessing any of them use a different wallet (details) or wallet extension to avoid leak of your private keys.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
nicecrypto

Activity: 1260
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 09:01:21 AM

The fuss about decentralized exchanges is that they provide a more secure platform for users to trade without fear of security breach, or that is what is expected from decentralized exchanges, blockchain technology is the advocate of decentralization and as such exchanges are expected provide the decentralized platform where everyone is in total control of their personal information, because too many reports on exchange hacking has increase the need for a complete decentralized exchanges for proper security.
ianj

Activity: 109

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 09:22:11 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2019, 10:12:27 AM by ianj

Decentralized exchanges are not perfect, but neither are they wide open to abuse like a centralized exchange is.

Many so called "hacks" on exchanges are in fact exit scams.

A DEX will not cure this right away, but it will help .. a lot .. especially if used carefully. There will be DEX hacks, there will be DEX scams .. but the chances are greater of an honest experience

There are issues, there are partial solutions.

One of the self defeating characteristics of a DEX is revenue. A centralized exhange can fund tech, marketing, hype, partnerships - all the things decentralization usually offer when you get economies of scale. This will happen one day with a DEX and if it manages its revenue streams well they may take off.

Meanwhile you will get "centralized DEX" jumping in to muddy the water (say Binance DEX) as they see the writing is on the cards unless they can confuse the market place
semes

Activity: 713
Merit: 31

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 09:27:03 AM

Exchanges, may it be DEX or CEX are not safe from security breaches. Based on statistics, there were more hacking on the centralized exchanges and the recent one is Cryptopia which myself is a victim since i have not recovered my funds though not that big but still it's frustrating. My view on DEX is that we control our account which for me is important since that is our very own money and should not be trusted to companies that run centralized exchanges. CEX though they emphasize more on their security but still they are the ones controlling the funds of people.

We've heard a lot of hack attempts about CEXs. But I don't remember much about DEXs. I think Bancor and Cryptopia are not nice options to be evaluated in this process.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 09:31:42 AM

Well, you can't just make blanket statements like that about all decentralized exchanges, there are still huge differences between them.
I've recently started trading on Saturn, which offers a very nice experience overall.

I don't have to create an account & can instantly buy/sell coins via their saturn wallet, which is a fork of Metamask.
No KYC or need to give away your personal information, that's a big plus for me.

Galantin

Activity: 602
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 09:33:41 AM

The fuss is that no one wants to shine their income. That's all. This is especially true of hunters, because we also need to pay tax. And using decentralized exchange, we can be calm.

veil                            /////  PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  /////
https://veil-project.com/
Andrey13101991

Activity: 551
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 09:47:30 AM

I think that those decentralized exchanges that exist now - are just safety in words and not in practice.
baigreen

Activity: 625
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 10:00:25 AM

I think that those decentralized exchanges that exist now - are just safety in words and not in practice.

Well, I think phishing is very relevant there. Because many rarely use such sites. There is still a problem where people often make mistakes. Food coins for a penny. Let's say he got used to the classic exchange. Showed the price for 1 unit) and sold all his coins for 0.0004 so this exchange is not for everyone. I would say its main task is to allow the investor to purchase tokens from hunters before release.
joinfree

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260

1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 10:01:05 AM

All the hype being created about Decentralized Exchanges is because of how swift and easy it is to use and make transactions over there. Well in terms of security i think DEXs are quite safer than centralized exchanges. Compare the number of centralized exchanges that have been hacked to DEXs and you would realized the number of Centralized ones far out weighs that of the DEXs.

Anyway we still need DEXs that are absolutely secured and i think SwiftDex.ai is one of the promising decentralized exchanges to look at.

Crypto Enthusiast supporting innovative ideas for the Liberalization of the world from the Centralized Institutions.
SRKNGL

Activity: 476

Files.fm - Store, Share and Sell Files

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 10:23:01 AM

In two types of  exchange system, users are charged. The only withdrawal while the fee is low on the central  exchanges.

steveabrahams

Activity: 1050
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 10:56:45 AM

Because there are only a few trader that trading on decentralized exchange and most of decentralized exchange don't have a big volume trade. If you look at the dex exchange like forkdelta, idex, etherdelta, the volume trade is really low and mostly from bounty tokens.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 11:04:41 AM

because in we have more cases of centralized exchanges being hacked than we have number of years that the market existed! basically every couple of months there is a new exchange that gets hacked or scams people and nearly ever week they scam one user at least.

decentralized exchanges can solve this because there is no longer anybody in control of your coins but you so the only risks of losing your coins is the risks of you not being careful not the risk of the centralized place scamming you.
and that is a very important thing in a market!

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
sandra_x

Activity: 574
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 11:05:20 AM

Hacking exchanges is a plague to the space, there is always the possibility of some vulnerablity in the code. The main push for decentralized exchanges which I think is very important is the fact that your anonymity is preserved as there are no KYC ,registrations or any of such as we do have with centralized exchanges.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: