Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:54:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [TIPS] to avoid plagiarism  (Read 2555 times)
tbct_mt2 (OP)

Activity: 2268
Merit: 834

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 01:48:25 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2019, 07:48:55 AM by tbct_mt2
Merited by Welsh (10), suchmoon (9), eternalgloom (3), LoyceV (2), wwzsocki (2), Halab (2), Mr. Big (2), DdmrDdmr (2), DireWolfM14 (2), bones261 (2), whotookmycrypto (2), OgNasty (1), JayJuanGee (1), Lucius (1), ABCbits (1), Juggy777 (1), El duderino_ (1), GreatArkansas (1), TheBeardedBaby (1), dkbit98 (1), 1miau (1), Bitcoin_Arena (1), Blowon (1), Theb (1), th3nolo (1), sncc (1), Sharon121212 (1), Yukyzu (1), Retina (1)

TIPS TO AVOID PLAGIARISM

Translations:

Hi everyone,

Plagiarism is one of the worst things in real world, and in the forum, it is the thing that all forum members should avoid. It is not only because to maintain our moral values, but also to avoid strict punishments on plagiarism from forum rules. We should not steal other words/ documents to earn money, then simply saying "I am sorry" and think that everything will be fine!
There is the rule #33 of the forum, it states that:
33. Posting plagiarized content is not allowed.[e]
Introduction day of rule #33 (somewhere between May & November of 2016)
If I recall correctly, my curiosity was aroused when I checked the forum rules to see when rule 33 had been written:

- It was present at round November 2016 (rule number 33): https://web.archive.org/web/20161121133329/https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0
- But not in May 2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20160506061123/https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0

Of course, these rules are basically a privately applied based guideline, and obviously can apply to whatever timeframe the Forum wishes, with disregard to the fact that the rule infringement may have been committed prior to the rule being stated.

The fact that the rule on plagiarism (for example) seems not to have been introduced until somewhere between May and November 2016 could be controversial with regards people being banned for plagiarism committed before that period. On the other hand, we could understand that all rules are fully retroactive and that’s it. I personally would prefer a 3 year timeframe or so, but that’s all it is, a personal preference.  

Plagiarism, when found with proofs, by forum mods or by reports from forum members will result in permanent bans, definitely. The opportunity to get acceptance from admin or forum mods to lift perm-bans is extreme low. Such perm-ban users have to demonstrate a lot of things, their contributions to the forum, forum community, and their intention behind plagiarised posts (but in fact they have to prove not only plagiarised posts, but also through all their post history) to convince admin, or forum mods lift their bans. In a summary, there are less than five (I don't remember, but maybe not more than five users get such chances to lift their perm-bans).

Theymos' and staffs' statements:
In general, I'm all for being lenient. There are users who have been temp banned many times but still haven't been permabanned because their contributions outweigh their misbehavior. I actively disbelieve in the idea of a "rule of law" where hard rules exist and are strictly applied across the board as if we're all robots. Every case should be considered individually in the context of the forum's mission.

Plagiarism is what gets people permabanned, not just copying. Plagiarism is copying with the intent of passing the work off as your own. In essentially all cases, plagiarism deserves a permaban because it usually proves definitively that the person is here for the wrong reasons: to fill up space in order to get paid, not to actually discuss or contribute. If someone was able to convince us that they were plagiarizing just to eg. impress people rather than to fill up space, then a lesser ban of a few months might instead be warranted. But this has never happened AFAICR. (Arguments based on plausible deniability aren't going to work; we don't need to prove that you had the motive we see in your actions.)

If you treat posting as a job, a chore, then you must live in fear, since the forum is not made for you. In this case, you need to blend in as someone who actually cares, but plagiarism will immediately out you, and producing a mountain of useless posts will also eventually be noticed, if more slowly. If you do actually care, then this will be obvious in your posts (and probably your merit score), and you will have nothing to fear from moderators; even allegations of plagiarism will be doubted when seen in the context of your other posts.

in extreme cases could be copyright theft?

Plagiarism is almost always a copyright violation which could conceivably get the poster in a lot of trouble, but it's not a bigger legal issue for the forum than anything else. (Using the forum to violate copyright is never allowed, though.)

when copying and pasting from the net can it lower google rankings? and internal copy and past could do the same thing?

That's not a particular concern of mine.

even memes may soon constitute copyright theft

Only in the EUSSR.

• Plagiarism: If you copy some text from somewhere, then you should have a good reason for it, and you must link to the source. Doing otherwise is plagiarism. Changing a few words around doesn't matter. If we find that you plagiarized, then you absolutely will be permanently banned, even if we find it years after you did it.

Warning: Anyone caught copying other users' posts or plagiarising content from elsewhere on the web will be immediately permabanned. You shouldn't need a warning to know that this isn't acceptable under any circumstances.

Updates from perma-bans in May of 2019:
You can't plagiarise yourself. Copying the same post into another or multiple threads would at worst get you a temp ban if it was deemed spam.
Posters who made multiple posts by copying and pasting their own posts do not obey that rule
12. No duplicate posting in multiple boards (except for re-posting it in the local language boards if it's translated).

What's next after reports of plagiarsims?
Posts are reported to moderators who check out the report. If the poster needs to be banned, the moderator sends a ban report up to a global mod or admin. The global mod or admin handles all of the ban reports they get at around the same time. Either the admins or global mods don't need to check every account because they trust the moderators to have already done so, or they check quickly because every such report contains references and links to the plagiarism post and to the source text so checking takes little time.

Second chance after get perm-banned:
Get ready for the grave jumpers:
You should not hope too much when your account get permanent ban.
There's been no policy change. redsn0w wasn't permanently banned due to several factors which made me think that permabanning him would be a net negative for the forum. Nobody is banned strictly because of "the rules"; it's always handled case-by-case, but almost always, plagiarists deserve to be permabanned.

If you think that a ban should be ended, make your case in a new topic from a "good for the forum as a whole" perspective.

Second chances can be given and you can argue that the punishment is harsh, but at the moment the rules are pretty clear that if you're caught plagiarising then it's a permaban. Once we start making exceptions for people it just opens up a huge can of worms and then everyone else who's had a ban will come out of the woodwork and complain it's not fair to them and people who are banned in the future will use this case as an example why they should be given another chance.

PM theymos or cyrus and make your case to them and maybe they will remove it. I'm not against second chances but there needs to be some consistency so it's fair to all. Hopefully signature bans could be issued in cases like this instead and people can keep their accounts, but at the moment I just wish people would stop plagiarising content so these bans aren't even needed in the first place and it's truly a sad state of affairs that they are.

A few people have their bans removed for numerous reasons. It's not plagiarism if it's your own work and if you can prove that then the ban should be lifted in those cases.

There is a discussion topic on Alternatives to Permabans for plagiarism, but once again, you should be a very constructive user and have a good reputation over long history to have second chance.

Contributive factors on second chances of perma-banned users
You actually can take your second chance with temporary ban and signature ban for one or two years. You can get it or not, depends on your past activities (things presented below are not mine, I describe perspectives of global mods that I read during the banwave in many appeals). There are some factors:
- Total posts that you plagiarised.
- Percentage of plagiarised posts / your total posts (more than half - 50% - will wipe out your second chance, surely)
- Time points of your plagiarism (before or after the rule on plagiarism applied in the forum)
- Your past contributions.
~snip~
Everyone whom got permanent ban will feel happy with a reduced sentence for sure. However, whenever you are back from vacation, you can make the appeal better (that somehow increase your chance) by collecting and presenting posts or threads that you thought are most constructives from your past (before your ban day).
Updates from perma-bans in May of 2019:
Global mods were given the ability to ban signatures only yesterday. Do you think we can get through all the appeals in one day? Be patient.

Globals can now issue sig bans so it'll happen more often but isn't going to be a let off for everyone (so if half your posts are copy and pastes then forget about it but people who are getting banned for one or two posts from years ago will likely be shown some mercy).

Therefore, avoid permanent bans by plagiarism is the utmost things that all forum members should know. It is valuable for all ranks of users.

There are some reasons that lead to plagiarism:
  • Copying and pasting contents from other sources (outside the forum, such as articles, websites, etc.) without source links
  • Copying and pasting contents inside posts/ topics of other forum members without quotes or source links
  • Copying and pasting contents of projects' documents without source links [for developer team]

Solutions
Now, let's move to method to avoid plagiarism. I will sort it out in orders of three reasons mentioned above.
1. Copying and pasting contents from other sources (outside the forum, such as articles, websites, etc.) without source links
Solutions:
It is very easy, you simply have to copy and paste the source link of the article, website, or anything from which you censored part of their contents for your discussion.
I give you an example when I want to use a definition on plagiarism from Wikipedia, but you can apply the same for anything else from internet sources.
The definition is:
"Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work.[1][2]"
Please note that if I simply leave the definition like this in my post, I plagiarise and then perm ban will come to me later (even years later). So, how to avoid this?
There are three ways:
1.1. Leaving the source link behind the content (definition of plagiarism, in this example)
"Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work.[1][2]"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

1.2. Using quote block without exactly original source
Using this method when you don't remember exactly where is the source of the content you post, or you simple write it down from your memory but you doubt that you might plagiarise somehow.

Code:
[quote]
[/quote]

1.3. Using quote block with source (author names, website links, etc.)
You always should apply this method if you know exactly where is the source.

Code:
[quote author=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism]
[/quote]

Another one, I remembered theymos wrote down somewhere that plagiarism will cause permanent ban, but don't know where it is. So, the following quote might help.
Quote from: theymos
Plagiarism deserves permanent ban

Code:
[quote author=theymos]
Plagiarism deserves permanent ban
[/quote]

Or when you want to quote something from locked topics.
OP forgot to describe that the 1.3 solution can be used when topics from which writers pick up a post were locked. Therefore, writers can not directly quote which posts they want to mention. This time, using author option is great alternative.
Code:
[quote author=link to post inside locked topic]Copy & paste content of referenced post here[/quote]
Long time ago, I did not how to quote such posts in locked topics.

2. Copying and pasting contents inside posts/ topics of other forum members without quotes or source links
To avoid this, you should use quote button to create quote block. There are some ways to quote a posts:

Official guide of forum:
Quoting a Post
To reply to a post by quoting it, you can either click the Quote button for the relevant post and add your own message to the quoted text or click the Reply button followed by Insert Quote from the relevant post in the 'Topic Summary' below, but note that:

Both these options add a link to the original post showing the name of the poster and the date and time of the post, whereas the Bulletin Board Code quote tag simply quotes the relevant post without this additional information.
You can also retain or add the 'author' attribute independently of the full Quote function, as demonstrated in the SMF Bulletin Board Code Reference below.

For example:
If you want to mention about my topic, how to quote just the first lines of the OP?
2.1. Leaving the link of my topic below contents that you copied from my OP
"Plagiarism is one of the worst things in real world, and in the forum, it is the thing that all forum members should avoid. It is not only because to maintain our moral quality, but also to avoid strict punishments on plagiarism from forum rules."
Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5133485.0

2.2. Using quote block without author names, or links (because you forgot where they are).
"Plagiarism is one of the worst things in real world, and in the forum, it is the thing that all forum members should avoid. It is not only because to maintain our moral quality, but also to avoid strict punishments on plagiarism from forum rules."

Code:
[quote]
[/quote]

2.3. Using quote block with full link

Code:
[quote author=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5133485.0]
[/quote]

2.4. Using "[url block]Name of sites/ pages[/url]" to make a clickable name (I took this one from o_e_l_e_o):
You can also make the website name itself clickable using the following code:
Code:
[quote="[url=www.example.com]Website name[/url]"]Text[/quote]

Which gives this result:
Quote from: Website name
Text

3. Copying and pasting contents of projects' documents without source links [for developer team]
Methods to use are the same. However, please remember that even you are developers of the team, if you post your contents from whitepaper, websites, etc. to the forum topics, without sources, you plagiarise, and might get perm-bans.
So, please remember to apply those methods above if you don't want to see any kind of troubles, especially permanent ban, come to you later.

I give you a case of LOKI developer, whom opened ban-appeal days ago. I don't know the guy will get chance to see ban-life or not. Let's see.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5132663.0

Some stories from users whom got perm-bans lift. If I missed any case, someone who know it, please leave missed case here, and I will add it to the list.
1. ChiBitCTy
Even perm-ban lifted, signature currently displays as "Banned from displaying signatures until March 09, 2020, 08:24:44 PM"
2. Limx Dev
3. redsn0w
Remember that it is usually too late for you to say "I am sorry/ I don't know/ Can I have a chance? or whatsoever" when your account get permanent ban.

Update on unbanned users (from latest permanent banned users). OP already updated:
1.lovesmayfamilis
2.hacker1001101001
3.shasan
4.cellard
5.thejaytiesto
6.zazarb

Plagiarism Classification
I will classify types of plagiarism into two main categories:
1. Unintentionally plagiarsim
It does not mean that people who plagiarise in any type of plagiarism listed here mean that they plagiarise unintentionally. It means they can not plagiarise, then use my topic, and the part of plagiarism classification in order to prove that they violate the rule on plagiarism unintentionally.
1.1. Copy & Paste without source link
1.2. Copye & Paste part of Whitepaper, Roadmap, Specifications, announcements from projects' documents, websites, other forums that totally managed by teams of projects without source link. This type is only for developer team, who post announcements on progresses of their projects in the forum, and sometimes they unintentionally plagiarise their own documents. In fact, they don't plagiarise based on theymos' opinion on plagiarsim, but when they get bans due to this, they have to prove their ownership of original documents and their roles in such projects. So, it's better to always leave source links, even you are developers, and owners of those documents.
1.3. Translating topics of others into your local languages without ask for permission
Personally, I think that it will be fine if translators translate topics of other members into whatever languages they want, with source link.
However, it will be better if they ask for permission of authors and actually get acceptance to translate. It is better for two reasons:
- In moral aspect: By asking for permission, they will show their respect to authors.
- In potential conflicts of interests: When such conflicts occurs, it takes time to solve, and I don't think anyone of us want to face with such problems, especially we start with good purposes.

2. Intentionally plagiarism
2.1. Fake Paraphrasing
It is a lowest level of plagiarism when people usually change just a few words from original texts/ posts.
2.2. Text Spinning
They intentionally use posts of others, and over paraphrase them using softwares.
Text spinning/disguised plagiarism
2.3. Translation Abusement
They intentionally use posts or part of posts of other members, such as from English, then using Google Translate in order to automatically translate those texts into local language, such as Russian or any local language they want; and vice versa.
New sort of plagiarism

Some tools:
1. Grammarly
2. Small SEO tools

Sources:
Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ (mprep)
Tips for newbies, who want to avoid over-quoting (tbct_mt2)
Some documents to edit the OP later (when I read them all, and have time to edit).
Alternatives to Permabans for plagarism
New sort of plagiarism
Text spinning/disguised plagiarism
Alternatives to Permabans for plagarism
is it plagiarism?
Report plagiarism (copy/paste) here. Mods: please give temp or permban as needed

Contributors:
I appreciate all kinds of valuable contributions from users below, whom help to improve my topic.

SHOULD-READ DOCUMENTS

████
████████
██████████
████████████
█░████████
███████████
████████████
██████████
Ladies.de███████████████
████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████
████████████████
▐████████████████▌
░████████████
░███
███████████████
▐████
██████████████▌
░█████
██████████████
██▀███████
█████████▀
███████████████████
██████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
LadiesStars
▬▬▬▬

▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀
░░▐▌░░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀░░▐▌░░
▀█▄▐▌▄█▀████████▀█▄▐▌▄█▀
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
███████████████
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
▀███▀

███████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
whotookmycrypto

Activity: 168
Merit: 214

WhoTookMyCrypto.com

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 02:17:53 AM
Merited by tbct_mt2 (1)

And to be doubly sure that you are posting original content or if you aren't sure about whether your post would constitute plagiarism, it helps to run them through plagiarism checkers (free):
1. Grammarly (https://www.grammarly.com/plagiarism-checker)
2. Small SEO tools (https://smallseotools.com/plagiarism-checker/)

They aren't 100% accurate so don't rely entirely on them. If you know you ripped something off, best to just quote the source rather than risk getting caught.

Another tool that is popular for checking plagiarism is called copyscape. However, it is a paid tool.

Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1757

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 08:07:15 AM
Merited by tbct_mt2 (1), DireWolfM14 (1)

Proper use of Forum Quote code and Proof reading what you are about to post is also very important especially if you quoted someone.
Sometimes one could just make a mistake that could cost one's account just because they did not properly quote and proofread what they had just replied.

Let me use @whotookmycrypto's post as a replying example.
I could try to quote his/her post, and then probably by mistake I misquote it, leaving some of his original text outside the quotes and making it look like mine and without proofreading I post the text thinking that everything is OK.

And to be doubly sure that you are posting original content or if you aren't sure about whether your post would constitute plagiarism, it helps to run them through plagiarism checkers (free):

They aren't 100% accurate so don't rely entirely on them. If you know you ripped something off, best to just quote the source rather than risk getting caught.

Another tool that is popular for checking plagiarism is called copyscape. However, it is a paid tool.

As you can see if someone sees my post, they could clearly think I did a copy and paste especially if our comments are from different posts or on different pages and this can easily earn me a permanent ban of which it is almost impossible to over turn.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
tbct_mt2 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 09:00:19 AM

You are right, that sometime we makes mistakes, due to lazy, or due to don't clearly understand about all forum rules, and violate rules unintentionally. However, rules are rules, and violations are violations. Intentionally or unintentionally, we actually violate rules and punishments are unavoidable.
So, I think that my topic makes lots of sense for all forum users, who don't know about rule on plagiarism and related perm-bans.

People might misunderstand it, think it as plagiarism, but in fact it is truly a plagiarism. You can not deny that, mate.
Furthermore, things will become worst if someone who can use Machine Learning or something like this to find plagiarism automatically, all kinds of posts like yours will be marked as plagiarsim. Then, what's next if they report them to moderators? Definitely, perm-ban drops, rather than airdrops or raindrops.
As you can see if someone sees my post, they could clearly think I did a copy and paste especially if our comments are from different posts or on different pages and this can easily earn me a permanent ban of which it is almost impossible to over turn.

████
████████
██████████
████████████
█░████████
███████████
████████████
██████████
Ladies.de███████████████
████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████
████████████████
▐████████████████▌
░████████████
░███
███████████████
▐████
██████████████▌
░█████
██████████████
██▀███████
█████████▀
███████████████████
██████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
LadiesStars
▬▬▬▬

░░▐▌░░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀░░▐▌░░
▀█▄▐▌▄█▀████████▀█▄▐▌▄█▀
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
███████████████
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
▀███▀

███████
Becky666

Activity: 756
Merit: 231

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 10:21:50 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2019, 04:21:29 PM by Becky666

At my first sight on the forum  was a Legendary Member account found with plagiarize content and the account owner explained that he was never involved in content plagiarism over the years, but nobody seem to understand what that means because the account was found of such forbidden contents.

Can it happen that one wrote a content with his or her wordings and then turn to be plagiarize content, even after proof reading?. This are things that i often find on meta sections when reading through posts/replies by forum members. This instance still seem to me freak because careful looking at these content, nothing misspell or careless on the part of the poster by omitting close quote[/quote] from OP or reply post.

Proofread before before post is the answer to avoid Plagiarism either in small quantity or in large quantity because have read many complains of say "just one line plagiarism cost my account ban". Thanks for this unavoidable guide for us(Both the higher Ranked and the Lower Ranked).

███████ ███████     R O L L B I T           The Social & Provably Fair Crypto Casino           [ PLAY NOW ]     ███████ ███████
/  SLOTS     /  GAME SHOW     /  LIVE CASINO     /  ROULETTE     /  BLACKJACK
|          Twitter          |        ♠   Instant Deposits & Withdrawals   -   Live Customer Support   -   Rakeback & Level Up Bonuses   ♠      |          Discord          |
Woodie

Activity: 1750
Merit: 870

Rollbit.com ⚔️Crypto Futures

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 10:54:43 AM

What are the odds that someone could be posting something plagiarized if it's coming from one's head???

TBH these checkers could only be used plagiarist if one is trying to beat the plagiarism checkers possibly after word spinning! JUST MY HONEST OPINION

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
tbct_mt2 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 11:19:24 AM

Permanent ban for them.
What are the odds that someone could be posting something plagiarized if it's coming from one's head???
They are tools to help, and they are not perfect ones. Nevertheless, you should know that even paraphrasing does not accept here. You can change some words from original documents, but you will be tagged as plagiarisim as well.
TBH these checkers could only be used plagiarist if one is trying to beat the plagiarism checkers possibly after word spinning! JUST MY HONEST OPINION

████
████████
██████████
████████████
█░████████
███████████
████████████
██████████
Ladies.de███████████████
████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████
████████████████
▐████████████████▌
░████████████
░███
███████████████
▐████
██████████████▌
░█████
██████████████
██▀███████
█████████▀
███████████████████
██████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
LadiesStars
▬▬▬▬

░░▐▌░░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀░░▐▌░░
▀█▄▐▌▄█▀████████▀█▄▐▌▄█▀
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
███████████████
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
▀███▀

███████
Retina

Activity: 252
Merit: 59

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 03:00:45 PM
Merited by tbct_mt2 (1)

I easily check plagiarism and grammar I think to work it easy, some time plagiarism and grammar.

Plagiarism and Grammar cheker: https://searchenginereports.net/

you can check 2-way plagiarism or grammar:
1. Copy text and paste this text box.
2. Upload a file to be checked: (.txt or .docx)

And click check processing with some time you the result.

Image below:

Thanks.
Sharon121212

Activity: 280
Merit: 215

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 03:52:47 PM

The most likely mistake people make and get themselves guilty of plagiarism is differentiating between sourcing and plagiarism(copy and paste)
It's not wrong to do research on other content to get a direction on a particular subject (sourcing)
But the problem comes when you where not able to apply the knowledge and create a whole new content of your own then you would surly be guilty of plagiarism
jademaxsuy

Activity: 924
Merit: 220

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 04:48:02 PM

In the discussions where posts had only few sentences and to which the thread started has lead to which users will going to answer unanimously will be tagged as possible plagiarism? SMT has a lot of replies and one could not just read them all to make a reply in a distinct manner from the other users?

This is really hard to prove that a certain idea is being plagiarized because we are not talking about an article that is being published. We are just talking about a post that has 2 or more sentences.

It may be clear plagiarism if all the context are being copied and paste and even with small alteration could do but when we have both the same ideas and posted in a the same thread then that is not considered as plagiarism. It is different like what other guys had told that an idea being copied is already a plagiarism.

Let us clear first what is plagiarism and how in this forum could avoid plagiarism. And thanks to this thread this is very helpful.
angel55

Activity: 630
Merit: 172

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 05:42:27 PM

There are so many posts, articles, essays on the web that a lot of times you will get a false positive when it happened by coincidence.  Sounds like I'm protecting plagiarizers but unless the post is decently long with a high percentage match its harsh to throw down the ban hammer.
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1171

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 07:37:31 PM

Plagiarism is one of the worst things in real world

You have serious problems if you think that plagiarism is one of the worst things around. What about rape? murder? fraud?

Yes it is bad, even more so if it is done to pass skill tests, but if you are talking about content theft and reposting online is relatively minor. One of the best parts of the internet is sharing information and growing knowledge, frankly it doesn't matter in lots of situations whether a source is quoted or not.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1701

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 08:17:36 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2019, 10:52:49 PM by wwzsocki

...Sometimes one could just make a mistake that could cost one's account just because they did not properly quote and proofread what they had just replied...
...quote his/her post, and then probably by mistake I misquote it, leaving some of his original text outside the quotes and making it look like mine and without proofreading I post the text thinking that everything is OK...

I was not banned but red trusted for exactly such a mistake as described above. It was called PLAGIARISM in my trust comments.

I was not experienced enough at this time and maybe a little too lazy because I left the quote as it was after six failed attempts to do it right.
Every time I published my post something was wrong with the quote. I was already Senior Member back then but my skills were at Newbie level at best.

Tried to quote 2 different posts at the same time in different places of my post.
When I think about it now is just hard to believe that somebody can struggle with such a simple task but if you don't write much this is possible as my story shows and there are for sure many people with very low skills when it goes to proper writing, quoting, using tables or even bolds.

Despite I added in my post usernames of these quoted members and their posts were above mine in the thread, I was mistrusted and red painted for plagiarism.
I repeated multiple times my story in my accusation thread and nobody believed me, nobody answered my PM's from these members who red painted me.
What is even better more red paint hit my account after I started my reputation thread in meta.
During the "investigation" I was accused that I have added usernames later to my post. Can you believe that?
I was red trusted for almost 6 months. Had my reputation thread running in the Meta section with explanation and evidence provided but nobody wanted to help me.
Finally, one established member visited my thread and believed my story (backed up with evidence for which he asked) and after some time red paint was gone.

Luckily, because if there will be permaban, like now, I wouldn't be Hero Member and I was just promoted yesterday  Grin.

I don't want to scrap old wounds, but mistakes can happen and if one has bad luck can be permabanned. That is why there should be an option to ask for reconsideration or double check by very trusted members in such cases.

tbct_mt2 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2019, 01:13:24 AM

I did not say that plagiarism is the worst, I said one of the worst. What's wrong?
You have serious problems if you think that plagiarism is one of the worst things around. What about rape? murder? fraud?
The matter is, people tend to plagiarise to hit their post quota, due to their laziness hinders them to spend a couple of mins to brainstorm and express their ideas. Simply opening a website, clicking on one artcile, copying part of the article, and pasting that article's paragraph here. They finish their works, less than a minute. And, most of members whom plagiarise don't care about their contents they posted, of course they don't care about any contributions to the forum, instead of stealing free money.
Yes it is bad, even more so if it is done to pass skill tests, but if you are talking about content theft and reposting online is relatively minor. One of the best parts of the internet is sharing information and growing knowledge, frankly it doesn't matter in lots of situations whether a source is quoted or not.

████
████████
██████████
████████████
█░████████
███████████
████████████
██████████
Ladies.de███████████████
████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████
████████████████
▐████████████████▌
░████████████
░███
███████████████
▐████
██████████████▌
░█████
██████████████
██▀███████
█████████▀
███████████████████
██████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
LadiesStars
▬▬▬▬

░░▐▌░░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀░░▐▌░░
▀█▄▐▌▄█▀████████▀█▄▐▌▄█▀
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
███████████████
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
▀███▀

███████
Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 5510

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat⚔️

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2019, 12:09:06 PM

I did not say that plagiarism is the worst, I said one of the worst. What's wrong?
Some people have a lot of bigger life problems then plagiarism, so they react on part of your post where you say "Plagiarism is one of the worst things in real world". On the other hand this is very big problem in this forum, some users do not understand that copy / pasting other people posts or some article without posting source results in a ban of the account.

I think I've seen the thread where someone ask about plagiarism in relation with different cultures. Although generally speaking stealing other people's work is a bad thing, in some countries plagiarism is not high on the scale of bad social forms of behavior.

Such threads can surely help that some users comprehend what is plagiarism, and that such a way of posting results in banishing of the users accounts.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
April 20, 2019, 05:09:15 PM
Merited by tbct_mt2 (1)

@tbct_mt2 overall I think your guide/tip has covered most of the aspects on plagiarism in the forum however I think you have missed the growing kind of plagiarism here in the forum and that is paraphrasing or rephasing the stolen content or what they sometimes call text spinning. This has been more popular here in the forum since the merit system was introduced and the thought that they could get away with it, some spin the texts on their own while others use a rephrasing tool found online. Newbies need to know that text spinning is still plagiarism and it's not counted on creating your own original post.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
tbct_mt2 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2019, 05:22:40 PM
Merited by Theb (1)

I just glance at it, and might spend more time to look at the given topic tomorrow. However, you reminded me that long time ago I read that there is another kind of plagiarism. Users plagiarised by copying posts of other in English, for example, then using Google Translator to translate it into their local language, and posted translated one as their own contents. They even don't paraphrase.

I don't remember where I read it.

████
████████
██████████
████████████
█░████████
███████████
████████████
██████████
Ladies.de███████████████
████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████
████████████████
▐████████████████▌
░████████████
░███
███████████████
▐████
██████████████▌
░█████
██████████████
██▀███████
█████████▀
███████████████████
██████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
LadiesStars
▬▬▬▬

░░▐▌░░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀░░▐▌░░
▀█▄▐▌▄█▀████████▀█▄▐▌▄█▀
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
███████████████
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
▀███▀

███████
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
April 20, 2019, 06:00:14 PM

~snip~
Users plagiarised by copying posts of other in English, for example, then using Google Translator to translate it into their local language, and posted translated one as their own contents. They even don't paraphrase.

I don't remember where I read it.
This is more prevalent for fake bounty translators, I call them "fake" because they really don't know the local language they are translating it to and they use Google translate to do an awful job for them. However for users using GTranslate to post it in a plagiarized English text for their post is not a common thing to do since the translation is pretty bad plagiarizers doing it often gets caught since it is pretty obvious and can esily be spotted from the post itself.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
tbct_mt2 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2019, 09:48:03 AM

I found it, noted it here, and will edit OP later.
New sort of plagiarism

████
████████
██████████
████████████
█░████████
███████████
████████████
██████████
Ladies.de███████████████
████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████
████████████████
▐████████████████▌
░████████████
░███
███████████████
▐████
██████████████▌
░█████
██████████████
██▀███████
█████████▀
███████████████████
██████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
LadiesStars
▬▬▬▬

░░▐▌░░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀░░▐▌░░
▀█▄▐▌▄█▀████████▀█▄▐▌▄█▀
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
███████████████
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
▀███▀

███████
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 10:28:37 AM

Plagiarism is one of the worst things in real world

OP says one of the worst things. Plagiarism can give the tag of academic dishonesty and sometime copyright violations comes with hefty plenty. 

Out of three you mentioned, I did not know if first 2 are committed online and plagiarism is equivalent to fraud only.

I am alive
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: