Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:54:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what do you call the money you plan to use for day-trading?  (Read 903 times)
zhangweiwu (OP)

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:46:05 AM

Hi. Looking for a word to address the money reserved for day trading. This is about 100BTC when the whole amount left on the exchange account is about 500BTC, 'cos the other 400 are retained for other purposes. when I say day trading I mean it in finance sense, that is the position opened with this money is closed within a day.

A lazy way is to call it "pool-for-day-trading" or 'fund-reserved-for-scalping'. But there is perhaps a professional name?

Or please just tell me a general word for 'fund reserved for a certain trading purpose'.

My (old) column about Bitcoin & China: http://bitcoinblog.de/tag/zhangweiwuengl/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
D05GTO

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:14:36 PM

Lost  Grin

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:19:44 PM

Lost  Grin
+1 lol
Get those coins off that exchange pronto! There isn't an exchange in the world that should be trusted with such a large amount. Until we get a regulated and insured exchange, you face huge risks and zero options if the exchange owner just decides to keep your money. I wouldn't keep more than a few hundred dollars there for day trading.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Buziss

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:47:36 PM

If you really want to use 100btc on day-trading, you should really create an offline wallet or a paper wallet to store the other 400btc.

E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:22:26 PM

Not sure but how about  'dawn exchange' or 'day-trading-capital'

just a quick response thank you  Smiley
zhangweiwu (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:39:46 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2014, 02:29:36 AM by zhangweiwu

If you've written algrithm trade bot like I did, you know day trading (closing position within a day, often by a bot, not "a human sitting in front of computer the whole day and sleep badly" - I explained in the OP) needs a lot of money and takes the risk of exchange failure, because you can scalp about. 0.1% profit each hand (in a few seconds of window). I asked in newbie section because I think wording question is too naïve for bot authors who perhaps had been trading before bitcoin was born. Nonetheless I ended up using the word 'commitment'.

My (old) column about Bitcoin & China: http://bitcoinblog.de/tag/zhangweiwuengl/
Jacce

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:43:06 AM

You should immediately move away all the coins that you aren't using for day trading, if you don't want to risk losing it all.
zhangweiwu (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:22:50 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2014, 03:16:46 AM by zhangweiwu

You should immediately move away all the coins that you aren't using for day trading, if you don't want to risk losing it all.

A huge percentage of bitcoin trading nowadays are carried by bots, and 90% of them operates day trading (open closing position within a day), using various techniques like scalping, ga, mta etc. You need a stronger reason than "you gonna lose all" to convince all bots to quite the network. For your information I am posting in order to name a risck-control co-routine to manage reserve fund in the bot.

The lesson I learned is 1. to not ask in newbie section even for naming question, because a newbie context is assumed here. Newbie is a word to describe original posters, not to describe posters' questions. 2. use the word "high-frequency-trading" in the future, to replace 'day trading'. The word 'day trading' I picked up from wikipedia (I'm EFL speaker) to describe shorter-than-a-day position, not awaring it was colored so badly.

cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:14:28 AM

They're not warning you about the dangers of daytrading.  They're warning of the possibility that your exchange could steal or lose all your coins like Mt. Gox.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:17:29 PM

They're not warning you about the dangers of daytrading.  They're warning of the possibility that your exchange could steal or lose all your coins like Mt. Gox.

Exactly. You could earn some btc through day trading, but you may never be able to withdraw your bitcoin lol.

OP, maybe you should read those replies more carefully.

If you really want to use 100btc on day-trading, you should really create an offline wallet or a paper wallet to store the other 400btc.

bl4kjaguar

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 10:27:07 PM

Liquidity

1CuUwTT21yZmZvNmmYYhsiVocczmAomSVa
GAML

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:57:09 PM

It is referred to as 'Trading Equity'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_trading

zhangweiwu (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:58:01 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2014, 08:15:48 AM by zhangweiwu

It is referred to as 'Trading Equity'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_trading

Thanks! I'll combine with the other suggestion "liquidity" for naming.

They're not warning you about the dangers of daytrading.  They're warning of the possibility that your exchange could steal or lose all your coins like Mt. Gox.

Exactly. You could earn some btc through day trading, but you may never be able to withdraw your bitcoin lol.

OP, maybe you should read those replies more carefully.

I said in the first post "'the other 400 are retained for other purposes." Buziss' reply assumed the other purpose being long term holding. For the real long term investment I have a seperate wallet already. The "'the other 400 are retained for other purposes" expands to  "the other 400 are retained on the trading account for other trading techniques that are not classifiied as day-trading, more specific, for the purpose of lending to other day-traders for their margin trades." So Buziss misread me in the first place. Nonetheless I learned the lesson: I'll not give chance to this kind of miscommunication again.

But consider we are in the newbie forum, I'll not marginalize the exchange risk one is exposed to. Read my other post: "a continued inspection of China"
Quote from: zhangweiwu
Second: larceny in China is to cause more damage to trust than the same level of security breach would normally cause, because exchanges are playing banks' role. Although everybody are apparently worried about fund security, no one in the event knows electrum and amory. Some use bitcoin client as-is; most keep the money on the exchange and use them as a bank. Most major exchanges offer wallets, but they are only as trust-worthy as the exchanges. Some in the meeting even argue that keeping the coins on exchange accounts may be safer than in bitcoin-qt, because few have the resource to secure their own PC (they feel helpless against viruses).

Mr.V

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:06:37 AM

Never leave that kind of money on an exchange. You should at least spread your coins out between a few exchanges like bitstamp or btc-e for example that way you can take advantage of the swing on both exchanges.

BTC:1NwEE7C2hVLSNGwSrFvsYgTrKddCvfhRwY
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 05:10:53 PM

Or please just tell me a general word for 'fund reserved for a certain trading purpose'.

I'd call it Goldcoin (GLD) investment capital.  Smiley
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Just want to re-cap on all these response, and one thing is common that you should really consider.

All the exchange wallets provided are not a safe place to keep your bitcoins.

So far till this present date, there is no exchange that has a good reputation esp when the last hit of "transaction malleability".

Perfect example, that most are aware of and some are still not: https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=422

Prevention is better then a cure.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: