Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:46:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is encrypted messaging important? Value your privacy!  (Read 300 times)
ActAshton (OP)

Activity: 215
Merit: 7

Cobain of Crypto

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 06:14:39 AM

How is your privacy valued? Do you really know if your information stored is safe and secure?

I've learned in the long run that using SMS verification, password vaults, and other forms of so-called 'security' are not as secure as you would think. Hacking occurs daily, ESPECIALLY in the blockchain industry. We as individuals need to take measures to protect ourselves and our data.

A few forms of security measures most people mistake:

- SMS authentication / 2FA
Your phone number is NOT secure. People can hack into your phone number and tap into your messages, calls, etc. How do you think the feds bust most of your favorite criminals? Google Authenticator and Authy are OK, but still have the risk as they're connected to your phone number/email. Physical 2FA is the best option to go with. Hardware-based security keys provide a fast, no-fuss way to use two-factor authentication without having to mess around with your phone with. Some examples include YubiKey's, Thetus Fido, or the Google Tian key.

- Uploading your Bitcoin / Crypto Wallets
These are the absolute worst methods of holding your BTC or other digital assets. If you've been exposed by a keylogger, you can kiss your private key that is stored on your computer goodbye, alongside with your JSON file. Even though it is protected by a password, it's not like it would be hard to find after they're inside the guts of your computer... Your best bet is to use cold storage wallet if you're purchasing as an investment as it's physical and you are the only person who has access to this wallet via mnemonic phrase or seed access. Some good wallets to use are Ledger Nano (my favorite), Trezor, or BitBox. (PS: NEVER LEAVE FUNDS ON AN EXCHANGE- YOU DO NOT OWN THAT WALLET)

- Everyday Messaging
You would like your conversations online are secure right? Wrong. Remember back in 2018 when Mark Zuckerberg went into that big court case because your data wasn't necessarily being sold off, but access to you was being sold. You can also download your whole Facebook life in one large PDF file that has EVERYTHING- even stuff you deleted and old messages. With new GDPR rules, most web browsers collect all of the data you input and register within the domain. Scary stuff. Most messaging apps are not secure, especially if they're being bought by tech giants like Facebook. I use to think WhatsApp was secure until the acquisition with Facebook took place. Some of the safest messaging apps you can use right now would be Signal, Line, or Email. The only way these can be accessed is if there was a leak. Be careful what you talk about online.

There are a few blockchain projects that are taking the initiative for those who really value their privacy like Monero, ZCash, Dash, etc. I've got my eyes on a few other projects that are more focused towards the encryption of transactions and conversations. This article here inspired me to write this post as every day there's always some news about a business being compromised due to basics of security.

Read more about data security and privacy: https://www.techbullion.com/as-hacker-activity-rises-we-need-to-take-measures-to-protect-ourselves/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ActAshton (OP)

Cobain of Crypto

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 06:46:25 AM

What safety measures do you take to protect your privacy? I'm all about physical authentication but would love to learn more from the crypto community. Do you talk with PGP encryption on every email?  Wink
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 03:40:53 PM

Well i ussually only send emails but not using so much, and no i don't use PGP on email. I use another program when need to talk more with someone and that have already encryption on their side.

And i agree with you to hold coins your wallet, some traders hold some coin on exchanges so they can trade when they want.
ActAshton (OP)

Cobain of Crypto

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 04:13:10 PM

Well i ussually only send emails but not using so much, and no i don't use PGP on email. I use another program when need to talk more with someone and that have already encryption on their side.

And i agree with you to hold coins your wallet, some traders hold some coin on exchanges so they can trade when they want.
I definitely don't disagree with keeping some funds on an exchange, especially if you're an active trader but you shouldn't use it as your wallet.

What about for calls like on Telegram, Zoom, or Google? Do you think our conversations are secured? I know in Zoom you can put the option of end2end encryption.
ricardobs

Activity: 1204
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 10:35:46 AM

How is your privacy valued? Do you really know if your information stored is safe and secure?

I've learned in the long run that using SMS verification, password vaults, and other forms of so-called 'security' are not as secure as you would think. Hacking occurs daily, ESPECIALLY in the blockchain industry. We as individuals need to take measures to protect ourselves and our data.

Your phone number is NOT secure. People can hack into your phone number and tap into your messages, calls, etc. How do you think the feds bust most of your favorite criminals? Google Authenticator and Authy are OK, but still have the risk as they're connected to your phone number/email. Physical 2FA is the best option to go with. Hardware-based security keys provide a fast, no-fuss way to use two-factor authentication without having to mess around with your phone with. Some examples include YubiKey's, Thetus Fido, or the Google Tian key.

These are the absolute worst methods of holding your BTC or other digital assets. If you've been exposed by a keylogger, you can kiss your private key that is stored on your computer goodbye, alongside with your JSON file. Even though it is protected by a password, it's not like it would be hard to find after they're inside the guts of your computer... Your best bet is to use cold storage wallet if you're purchasing as an investment as it's physical and you are the only person who has access to this wallet via mnemonic phrase or seed access. Some good wallets to use are Ledger Nano (my favorite), Trezor, or BitBox. (PS: NEVER LEAVE FUNDS ON AN EXCHANGE- YOU DO NOT OWN THAT WALLET)

- Everyday Messaging
You would like your conversations online are secure right? Wrong. Remember back in 2018 when Mark Zuckerberg went into that big court case because your data wasn't necessarily being sold off, but access to you was being sold. You can also download your whole Facebook life in one large PDF file that has EVERYTHING- even stuff you deleted and old messages. With new GDPR rules, most web browsers collect all of the data you input and register within the domain. Scary stuff. Most messaging apps are not secure, especially if they're being bought by tech giants like Facebook. I use to think WhatsApp was secure until the acquisition with Facebook took place. Some of the safest messaging apps you can use right now would be Signal, Line, or Email. The only way these can be accessed is if there was a leak. Be careful what you talk about online.

There are a few blockchain projects that are taking the initiative for those who really value their privacy like Monero, ZCash, Dash, etc. I've got my eyes on a few other projects that are more focused towards the encryption of transactions and conversations. This article here inspired me to write this post as every day there's always some news about a business being compromised due to basics of security.

Read more about data security and privacy: https://www.techbullion.com/as-hacker-activity-rises-we-need-to-take-measures-to-protect-ourselves/

We have a lot of persons that don't really value their private life especially in this time when the government of countries are head bent on monitoring all the activities we make with how mobile phone down to monitoring the message we send to each other, apart for the fact that the government monitors our activities, we still have a lot of hackers doing so, this is why we need be very conscious about sending encrypted message to people.
5thFear

Activity: 1260
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2019, 10:37:51 AM

Well to avoid phone hacking, one should be using the old models, like nokia 3310 and others of that era which don't have a highend operating system. If there is no high end operating system then there won't be any hacking.
ActAshton (OP)

Cobain of Crypto

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2019, 12:40:07 PM

- Everyday Messaging

We have a lot of persons that don't really value their private life especially in this time when the government of countries are head bent on monitoring all the activities we make with how mobile phone down to monitoring the message we send to each other, apart for the fact that the government monitors our activities, we still have a lot of hackers doing so, this is why we need be very conscious about sending encrypted message to people.

People in China give absolutely ZERO f#&!$ about being watched by the government, it's almost like they don't care and it's normal. There was a big debacle with the Huawei phone where anyone who uses that phone that doesn't even live in China is being monitored. Spooky stuff
rijaljun

Activity: 1274
Merit: 267

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 01:04:43 PM

About encrypting message, WhatsApp has been implementing this since ong time ago. And what's the problem with Mark Zuckerberg was all about Facebook. Well, do we need this? since people should be aware that online messaging is always risky. No matter how great its security, there is always a possibility to be hijacked. In my opinion, nothing is totally safe in the internet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com  sports
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀  ▄▄▄▀███▀▄▄▄  ▀█████
████  ▄█████▄ ▄█████▄  ████
███  █ █████▀ ▀█████ █  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀▀▄███▄▀▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀▄██ ███████ ██▄▀█  ██
██   █████ █████ █████   ██
███  █████▀▄▄▄▄▄▀█████  ███
████  ▀▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀█ ███ █▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████
▀▀       ▀▀████████
 ▄▄  ▀  ▄▄   ▀█████
 ▀    ▀█████▄  ████
   ▀█▄   ▀▀██▄  ███
 █▄  ▀██▄▄  ▀█▄  ██
  ▀█▄  ▀███▄  ▀  ██
█  ▀██▄  ▀███▄   ██
██  ▀███▄  ▀█▀  ███
███  ▀████▄    ████
 ▀▀█▄  ▀▀▀   ▄█████
▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███▀▀         ▀▀███
▀   ▄▄██▄  ▀█▄  ▀██
 ▄████████▄  ▀█  ██
██████▄▀  ██▄    ██
████▄▀  ▄▀████▄  ██
██▄▀  ▄▀██████  ▄██
▄▀  ▄▀███████  ▄███
█▄▄▀███████▀  ▄████
▀████████▀  ▄██████
  ▀██▀▀   ▄████████
      ▄▄███████████
███████████████████
1mBTC
x 3 WINNERS
BET
MULTIPLIERS
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
mrdeposit

Activity: 1358
Merit: 509

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2019, 01:17:22 PM

I usually care about my privacy and prefer to choose the best encrypted way of messaging. Protonmail is a better option for me to prevent any spy by Google and hackers. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion.
amktt

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 01:24:45 PM

I usually care about my privacy and prefer to choose the best encrypted way of messaging. Protonmail is a better option for me to prevent any spy by Google and hackers. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion.
will check this feature in protonmail, thank you for sharing
ActAshton (OP)

Cobain of Crypto

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2019, 04:47:30 AM

Well to avoid phone hacking, one should be using the old models, like nokia 3310 and others of that era which don't have a highend operating system. If there is no high end operating system then there won't be any hacking.
Gotta be honest, I wish we were in times like this again. People are used to video chats and growing their digital identity more than worrying about their own security / privacy
ricardobs

Activity: 1204
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 07:27:47 AM

You might know that Binance got hacked yesterday and lost more than $40 million worth of Bitcoin that is more than 7000 Bitcoins which is a very big loss. The CEO however is a very great man with high knowledge about technology and plan to compensate the loss of the users using his security funds which is a good thing. The purpose of mentioning this is to let you know that end to end encryption is not enough to keep your data secure.
ActAshton (OP)

Cobain of Crypto

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2019, 07:53:53 AM

You might know that Binance got hacked yesterday and lost more than $40 million worth of Bitcoin that is more than 7000 Bitcoins which is a very big loss. The CEO however is a very great man with high knowledge about technology and plan to compensate the loss of the users using his security funds which is a good thing. The purpose of mentioning this is to let you know that end to end encryption is not enough to keep your data secure.
Big reasons why we should try to remain as secure as possible, ESPECIALLY being a major crypto exchange. Justin Sun from Tron recently said he would provide funds lost to the exchange here: https://twitter.com/justinsuntron/status/1125932499761225728

I personally don't know how I feel about this but it could be a good thing?
CryptoLogo

Activity: 656
Merit: 251

www.fintropy.io

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 12:08:10 PM

Great topic, it was nice to read it, thanks for the info. Many people do not even think about their own privacy, and this is sad.

carter34

Activity: 1302
Merit: 25

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 12:42:28 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2019, 11:23:40 AM by carter34

Gotta be honest, I wish we were in times like this again. People are used to video chats and growing their digital identity more than worrying about their own security / privacy

Those times are the price you pay for now which grants you more comfort. You can do so many things from your house and not step outside including working and get paid. You now have better technology.

I think the way to this modern times is to be more careful and not to expose ourselves to scam and hacks by guiding our information from third party.
Dark Ripper

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 12:56:16 PM

Encrypted messaging is very important especially if you want to maintain your privacy. For example, in playing games you should never show other people your cards because if you do then the opponent will deduce how you are going to play your cards and he or she will of course think of a way to counter them. If that happens and you lose, then you will also lose money. That is why, privacy is very important. Hacking is very rampant and encryption makes you less vulnerable to that. You must be very careful so that you can stay off the grid of the hackers because it is difficult to deal with hacking and losing money is the least thing we want to happen.
ActAshton (OP)

Cobain of Crypto

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2019, 12:53:31 PM

Encrypted messaging is very important especially if you want to maintain your privacy. For example, in playing games you should never show other people your cards because if you do then the opponent will deduce how you are going to play your cards and he or she will of course think of a way to counter them. If that happens and you lose, then you will also lose money. That is why, privacy is very important. Hacking is very rampant and encryption makes you less vulnerable to that. You must be very careful so that you can stay off the grid of the hackers because it is difficult to deal with hacking and losing money is the least thing we want to happen.
Nice backlink... hahaha I agree, whenever you're playing with money in general or have any financial assets, you should always remain as secure as possible no matter how much is at stake.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
May 13, 2019, 10:47:49 AM

Self preservation is paramount once it comes to the Internet for it's a terrible place that harbours both the criminals and the sound minds. These days security breeches are ubiquitous. At least some of us read about the Binance hack a few days ago despite the 2FA authentication on the site. For me, I always have peace of mind whenever I know key words or passwords are encrypted. That way I believe it's difficult to bypass security features. I treasure my privacy and I wouldn't compromise it online.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
semes

Activity: 713
Merit: 31

View Profile
May 13, 2019, 10:56:08 AM

I can't really understand what is related with encrypted messages and Atronocom ICO? You are talking about different things. Can you explain to us?
target
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1041

View Profile
May 13, 2019, 02:18:41 PM

Internet already exist during those times. And rumors says that military allow regular people to use internet is because they already have something new that will collect data without having the use of these technology. There ain't no privacy these days so long as you have gadgets being connected online thats what movies were telling.

I don't have a favorite criminal though so I'm not aware how they are tracked but certainly if you live in the 3rd world country, you may not care about it. But I own some privacy coins namely Xspec.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: