Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:15:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OKPAY accepting bitcoin as a deposit method  (Read 12047 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 01:50:27 PM

Ouch I was expecting fees but those are just downright stupid.

Up to $15 to get my cash from an ATM?  No thanks.  I will keep using free checks from TradeHill.

Sadly if someone did offer a decently priced bitcoin backed debit card they would get all the BTC -> USD flows.  Someday it will happen but it isn't OKPay.

Maybe someday Dwolla will offer a Dwolla debit card?  That would be at least a half step.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 08:07:05 PM

Up to $15 to get my cash from an ATM?  No thanks.  I will keep using free checks from TradeHill.

Sadly if someone did offer a decently priced bitcoin backed debit card they would get all the BTC -> USD flows.  Someday it will happen but it isn't OKPay.

Maybe someday Dwolla will offer a Dwolla debit card?  That would be at least a half step.

ehh, that would be the upper limit of their card withdraw fee, 2% of 750 $. If you exceed 750$ the fee would remain at same level.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 08:17:23 PM

Up to $15 to get my cash from an ATM?  No thanks.  I will keep using free checks from TradeHill.

Sadly if someone did offer a decently priced bitcoin backed debit card they would get all the BTC -> USD flows.  Someday it will happen but it isn't OKPay.

Maybe someday Dwolla will offer a Dwolla debit card?  That would be at least a half step.

ehh, that would be the upper limit of their card withdraw fee, 2% of 750 $. If you exceed 750$ the fee would remain at same level.

You can get more than $750 from an ATM somehow? Or is that like the monthly max of ATM fees?

Really I'm not going to be happy until there is a guy standing in the mall with pockets full of cash and a smart phone wearing a bitcoin shirt charging $2 for exchanges up to $1000.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:24:25 PM

How do you know they allow withdrawals of greater than $750?  Pretty big assumption to make.

The "solution" for withdrawing $15K might be make 20 withdraws for $300 in fees.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 08:32:07 PM

How do you know they allow withdrawals of greater than $750?  Pretty big assumption to make.

The "solution" for withdrawing $15K might be make 20 withdraws for $300 in fees.

i don't know things or make assumptions, it's only the way i understand that statement... if they put that high limit assuming no one will be able to withdraw more than 750$ it's not very nice from their part.

Instead you could use some friends help and cash-in on a POS, pay with the card and they give you cash. I do that sometimes. Lower fees and higher limits too

edit: I don't like a small thing though, they locked in the exchange rate of bitcoin > usd much lower than market price and they state "no fees" Sad

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
omarabid

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 09:55:39 PM

A couple points:

1. OKPay is like Payoneer. It's for people who don't have access to a USA bank account, an International Debit Card and PayPal.
I'm from Tunisia. I can't have an International Debit Card. PayPal doesn't accept payments for Tunisia for some reasons I still don't know. And you can't have a bank account other than your "nonconvertible" country currency.

They are a great solution. Period.

2. The fees are small compared to the hassle it'll take you to setup a USA bank account or the risks of using a fake PayPal account.

So for someone like me, this encourages me to start mining because I can withdraw money somehow to a service I already use.
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 09:59:04 PM

how many customers does okpay have?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 10:28:03 PM

You can get more than $750 from an ATM somehow? Or is that like the monthly max of ATM fees?

Really I'm not going to be happy until there is a guy standing in the mall with pockets full of cash and a smart phone wearing a bitcoin shirt charging $2 for exchanges up to $1000.

Why, so he can get mugged?  Bad idea.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2011, 08:30:00 AM

2. The fees are small compared to the hassle it'll take you to setup a USA bank account or the risks of using a fake PayPal account.

So for someone like me, this encourages me to start mining because I can withdraw money somehow to a service I already use.

+1.  This is the reason we have this forum.  Most people in North America or Western Europe won't have a need for OKPAY, but there's a whole world out there that needs a solution.

And anyone in Tunisia, or all of Africa for that matter, can now have a business and accept payments over the Internet using Bitcoins.  We live in exciting times!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 09:53:11 AM

Feature request on Steam Smiley
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2231533

If you use the Steam service and you like the Bitcoin project, you should +1 this request! Grin

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 10:00:40 AM

No one would do that. Everyone loves mall bitcoin guy.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 10:48:27 PM

Feature request on Steam Smiley
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2231533

If you use the Steam service and you like the Bitcoin project, you should +1 this request! Grin

Why?  Just request that Steam take Bitcoin as a payment method.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 10:50:57 PM

OKPAY charges its users $35 to transfer funds to your bank account.  Angry
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 10:59:06 PM

No one would do that. Everyone loves mall bitcoin guy.

Just like nobody robs the Salvation Army Santas that collect change outside of stores.  Oh wait, they do get robbed.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 11:00:16 PM

Why?  Just request that Steam take Bitcoin as a payment method.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824081
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2070297

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 01:56:19 PM

Interesting to see all the negative reactions in those threads, by people who are already dealing in purely digital goods. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 02:27:51 PM

People often attack what they don't understand.  If Steam ever did accept BTC the same people attacking it would be telling their friends how awesome and revolutionary it is.  A large portion of population is always going to follow. 

BTC = Stupid. 
Steam adopts BTC = Awesome.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 03:39:19 PM

People often attack what they don't understand.  If Steam ever did accept BTC the same people attacking it would be telling their friends how awesome and revolutionary it is.  A large portion of population is always going to follow. 

BTC = Stupid. 
On a related note Steam = Stupid

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 04:49:36 PM

People often attack what they don't understand.  If Steam ever did accept BTC the same people attacking it would be telling their friends how awesome and revolutionary it is.  A large portion of population is always going to follow.  

BTC = Stupid.  
On a related note Steam = Stupid

MEH I never thought I would, but I like Steam.  No need to keep copies of games, no worries about scratched CD, lost CD keys, etc.  Often I find good discounted games that I wouldn't otherwise even realize (or buy if gamestop wanted full price for them).  I think it is a win-win.  

I can't remember the last non-Steam (or Steam alternatives) game I bought.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 05:08:31 PM

BTC = Stupid. 
Even though Steam doesn't accept bitcoin directly, this might already be happening.  A great way to obtain games for a discount is by buying keys online (where people have found the games discounted in retail outlets and offer them up for sale online).  Bitcoin is a great way to mitigate the risk of handing out a game key online.  The keys are effectively bearer instruments and irreversible once distributed.  So, selling them for paypal or CC is risky for the merchant.  Here are a couple places you can buy them for bitcoin:

gamerkeys.net
bitcoin2cdkey.com

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: