Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:14:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Binance losing 7000 BTC and the consequences of a ROLL Back  (Read 436 times)
Saf1211 (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2019, 06:40:53 AM

Yesterday Binance was hacked fgor $40 Million worth of BTC equivalent to 7000 BTC at todays price.
Well we have heard of hacks before what we have never heard of is the mention of rolls backs.
What do you mean Roll Back.
Binance techs have suggested taking 51% control of the miner power and rolling back this transaction.
Does any one else have a problem with this?
Haunebu

Activity: 3094
Merit: 972

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 07:44:30 AM

Don't we have enough threads talking about this topic already?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5140532.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5140544.0

More and more threads = Pointless FUD which is why I urge you to lock this thread and continue your discussion in one of the threads that I linked op.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 09:12:58 AM

haha, Binance dudes have been swimming around in so much shitcoins that have started thinking bitcoin might be like one of those where every time they mess up they can ask for an undo button.
life doesn't have an undo button, neither does bitcoin. besides, unlike shitcoins like ethereum that did roll back, immutability means something here in bitcoin.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
jeniferqueen0409

Activity: 394
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 09:48:55 AM

Yesterday Binance was hacked fgor $40 Million worth of BTC equivalent to 7000 BTC at todays price.
Well we have heard of hacks before what we have never heard of is the mention of rolls backs.
Binance techs have suggested taking 51% control of the miner power and rolling back this transaction.

It was so shocking and I couldn't believe my eyes when a big exchange site like Binance was attacked by hackers and took away so much money. It is too dangerous and confusing to investors on Binance. The bear market seems to have just finished but perhaps the crypto market will have a huge impact.
Genemind

Activity: 1596
Merit: 335

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 09:53:45 AM

It's disappointing to know and even a top exchange could be hacked. 7000 Btc is such a huge amount and knowing that our funds could be hacked makes us feel doubtful about the exchanges these days. The hard wallet would still be a convenient and most choice during this situation.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 09:55:10 AM

It was so shocking and I couldn't believe my eyes when a big exchange site like Binance was attacked by hackers and took away so much money.

only things that rarely happen can be considered surprising. but something that happens regularly should not surprise you. it is like being surprised when the sun goes down in the afternoon!
in crypto-space, exchanges getting hacked is the most common occurrence. every year we have about 6 or 7 major exchange scams (not counting the small unknown exchanges). that is 1 every 2 months on average. you can't really be surprised about that!

Only Bitcoin
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 10:03:12 AM

If not for trading web wallet is never my choice, so many people have 100% trust on binance security before the hack incident yesterday which should further clear my curiosity. Am OK with hardware wallet which always leave the security of my coins in my hand because online wallet can be easily hacked into, this is really a bad one for binance but also this will give room for improvement as the CEO CZ have said the hackers really displayed they weakness which will be improve on.
gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 10:10:51 AM

This is bad news, but I hope all parties can continue to believe in cryptocurrencies. Because with trust the market can be maintained and there should be no situation of loss of trust. Because usually things like this will have a negative impact on the price changes of cryptocurrencies. 7000 BTC is a large amount, hopefully there will be no price dumping.
Crypto Girl

Activity: 980
Merit: 294

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 10:45:28 AM

We can anticipate some dips because of this fud and we can somehow think that this might just another show up so whales can buy more, isn't it?

While as the binance had stated that all funds were safe and I think there's some sort of insurance that cover any losses ( if any ) so I don't see any reason to panic and spreading fuds are useless.

I use this provider to trade Cryptos : Bitcoin Revolution
Whaleagent

Activity: 117
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2019, 11:06:37 AM

I was very disappointed to hear such news. to me Personally, It's hard to believe that they were hacked. They are well-known exchange and their Names is speak for themselves. funds are SAFU so probably if you hold anything in there you should not worry about it.

dvdrewritable

Activity: 280
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 11:14:57 AM

Still can not believe how an exchange like Binance exchange is hacked. if one of these large exchanges becomes hack, then all other small exchanges can be hacked at any time. We can not see our found safe anywhere. Which will have a lot of impact on the crypto market. It is really very surprising, I do not know how to become a security system kind of this excahnge, where there is so much trade every second, there must have been a lot of high security. However, now we return the dollars that have been hacked, otherwise we all will face many losses.

▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     I  D  Ξ  A  O  L  O  G  Y     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄
SUPPORT BRIGHT IDEAS THROUGH CROWDFUNDING
Follow us on:  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Telegram  |  Medium  |  Youtube
Ailmand

Activity: 1274
Merit: 519

Coindragon.com 30% Cash Back

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 11:16:38 AM

Well, traders funds in Binance is SAFU, but the problem is, it still has an effect in the market. It might be another inside job intended to create FUD in the market since the market is preparing to rise-up. Just stay safe, and never leave your funds in any exchange.

Saf1211 (OP)

Activity: 39

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2019, 11:18:58 AM

More and more threads = Pointless FUD which is why I urge you to lock this thread and continue your discussion in one of the threads that I linked op.

My point isn't the hack. My point is the conversation taken place thereafter, about rewinding the clock and returning the funds using the 51% hash power, when I posted this I didn't see anyone else write about that simply about the hack.

davis196

Activity: 3010
Merit: 918

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 11:37:03 AM

My point isn't the hack. My point is the conversation taken place thereafter, about rewinding the clock and returning the funds using the 51% hash power, when I posted this I didn't see anyone else write about that simply about the hack.

The 51% "roll back" idea is quite interesting but what's the cost of implementing it.Binance is a big crypto exchange platform,but they don't have enough money to fund 51% hash power.What if they have to spend more than 40M USD in order to get back the stolen 40M USD?

stfN2128

Activity: 882
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 11:39:50 AM

The 51% "roll back" idea is quite interesting but what's the cost of implementing it.Binance is a big crypto exchange platform,but they don't have enough money to fund 51% hash power.What if they have to spend more than 40M USD in order to get back the stolen 40M USD?

wouldn't be so good for BTC if a single exchange could have the power to roll the chain back. Binance system wasn't safu so they have to pay for it. the made enough money, they have a fund for this kind of shit.
fronti
Legendary

Activity: 2909
Merit: 1308

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 11:41:02 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4), BitcoinHodler (1)

With this idea from the CEO of this exchange, you should now think 3 times if you ever like to use this again.
He indicates that he has no clue on the bitcoin network. Do you really want him to handle your money?

And always true for all other exchanges: Not your keys not your money.

If you like to give me a tip:  bc1q8ht32j5hj42us5qfptvu08ug9zeqgvxuhwznzk

"Bankraub ist eine Unternehmung von Dilettanten. Wahre Profis gründen eine Bank." Bertolt Brecht
ttcsalam
Copper Member

Activity: 1120

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 11:44:51 AM

If this situation is such a strong exchange, such as Binance , then very bad news. I had some investment. I think thousands of investors like me used to trade here, their condition might be very bad now or maybe. One solution is important.

███    TWITTER     █████████████████ KeyFund ████████████████████     WHITEPAPER     ███
███       ANN                  ██████  AUTONOMOUS YIELD TOKEN - DEFLATIONARY MECHANISM  █████    FACEBOOK PAGE    ███
███  TELEGRAM  █████████████████     SWAP      ███████████████████       MEDIUM      ███
feryjhie

Activity: 882
Merit: 595

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 11:45:03 AM

I just read an article that he decided not to rollback bitcoin blockchain because of many factors like it may have some negative consequences, in terms of destroying the credibility for bitcoin
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 12:14:01 PM
Merited by hopenotlate (1)

wouldn't be so good for BTC if a single exchange could have the power to roll the chain back. Binance system wasn't safu so they have to pay for it. the made enough money, they have a fund for this kind of shit.

Ethereum rolled back the transactions. The result ? Two coins, a split community and multiples of the actual loss wiped off the market cap instantly.

It is scary that a large player like Binance considered it. They rejected the idea and I commend them for it. But it wouldn't stop a symilar large entity from doing something symilar.

That is why decentralization has to be taken seriously.

Bitmain has too much control over mining and mining hardware.

Binance and other exchange have too much control over user funds they don't own.

The vulnerabilities are mining control, hardware control, volume control (trading and control over funds) and centralized control over code.

I'm not anti Binance (I think they have built a great exchange) - but I'm anti centralization and anti oligopoly control.

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
dmitrygerasimov

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 12:17:24 PM

And who says they were hacked and not scammed? I would put my 5 cents on inside job, then blame on external factors, and cover it with your shit coin BNB and have another shicoin back it up TRX
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: