Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:39:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin commercial  (Read 6436 times)
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 12:59:52 AM

Perhaps a Bitcoin infomercial would be better.

20-30 minutes giving people a step by step way of going from non-Bitcoiner to full knowledge of how to use Bitcoins.

An infomercial isn't a bad idea as I'm sure a lot of nocturnal peeps need something to do while their trying to go to punch them selves to sleep why no try out a new payment system.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 01:04:13 AM

Ideas?

Show a child progressing through different stages of their development where Mom/Dad buy/sell things for them on the Internet. They buy a nice Play House toy for toddler, then a bike when they're older.  They sell the play house on eBay when they are older still, etc.  End with a call from patagonia or somewhere when they are 20 and backpacking around the world. They are calling because they need money to get home.  Mom/Dad gets on the Internet and sends them money so they can get home. ....  Then have a big round golden bitcoin that comes up from the bottom right of the screen and centers in the middle, and positioned around the coin are stillshots showcasing the child from each of the previous buy/sell/send money scenarios.  A voice-over says something like: "Buying, selling, or sending money-- when it matters most, Bitcoin will get the job done securely, quickly, without hassles and generally no fees." Voice continues: "Bitcoin is a secure, decentralized payment system*** that opens up worlds of possibilities. To learn more, visit weusecoins.com".

Something like that, anyways.

weusecoins.com would need to have a landing page that has a simple step-by-step layout:

1. Download this program.
2. Add some bitcoins to your balance *
3. Start using your bitcoins **

* Have an "official" not-for-profit service on weusecoins.com where you can deposit cash in an account at any of the world's major banks (in most countries) to get bitcoins.

** Have a list of mainstream merchants/services that accept bitcoins, as well as places to earn bitcoins, such as auction sites

*** I like the term "Payment system" because that's the easiest for people to understand.  I think the terms "currency", "money", "barter" etc, would just turn people off.

Although this kind of sounds corny just reading it, you can kind of imagine how the commercial could potentially go.  Its always good to make the audience feel like they can related directly with what they are watching. I think child in need of money to get home could reel any parent in.

we would have to think about whom this would appeal too if we chose this direction
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 01:06:18 AM

I think a good meme would do nicely
Gordon Liddy here for Magic the Gathering Online Exchange!
Like you, I'm worried about the falling US Dollar.  Experts are calling this economic crisis the worst since the Great Depression.  The Fed is printing money faster than ever, paying for Wall Street bailouts on our ten trillion dollar debt.  But you don't have to watch your hard-earned savings shrink to nothing!
Invest in BITCOINS!  I got into Bitcoins two years ago!  It's the smartest move I ever made.  During hard economic times, Bitcoins are the currency that goes up, not down.  The value of Bitcoins has gone up by over 100 times in two years, and the best is yet to come!
Buy your Bitcoins where I buy mine -- Magic the Gathering Online Exchange. 

haha a meme might do nicely indeed....
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 04:18:50 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2011, 04:31:40 AM by adamstgBit

My crazy idea:

for 15 seconds you show this img, and nothing else

no sound, no mention of bitcoin, Nothing! just the image.

then the img nicely fades out. end of commercial!

The idea is to make people say "?WTF?... what was that" they will for sure talk to people about it and everyone will be like "Ya i saw that too... i have no clue what it is??" Huh
Finally a friend of a friend will be like "OH ya that's The Bitcoin commercial, you really should go check it out online!"
the guy gose online and learns about this revolutionary idea that is bitcoin and falls in love with it!
he goes back to all his friends and tells them "I figured it out!! the weird commercial is B I T C O I N, and its going to change the world my friends. BUY BUY BUY!!! before its to late"

the most talk about commercial of 2012

Edit: ok maybe give them a clue .... have a short version of this song playing in the back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10fOzt-Hxfg

LMAO!

bc

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 04:47:33 AM

I like the life-stages idea, btc_novice. It's similar to the "You Will" commercials in how it evokes emotions.
  (thanks CBeast for reminding us about "You Will")
I don't think Satoshi should be mentioned in any commercials - at least for 5 years.
Keep It Simple, Satoshi. Go short on details. Fill it with imagery and emotion.

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees
deltanine

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 06:44:12 AM

My crazy idea:

The idea is to make people say "?WTF?... what was that" they will for sure talk to people about it and everyone will be like "Ya i saw that too... i have no clue what it is??" Huh
Finally a friend of a friend will be like "OH ya that's The Bitcoin commercial, you really should go check it out online!"
the guy gose online and learns about this revolutionary idea that is bitcoin and falls in love with it!
he goes back to all his friends and tells them "I figured it out!! the weird commercial is B I T C O I N, and its going to change the world my friends. BUY BUY BUY!!! before its to late"

the most talk about commercial of 2012

Edit: ok maybe give them a clue .... have a short version of this song playing in the back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10fOzt-Hxfg

LMAO!

I understand what you are getting at here and it has value as I've been thinking along the same lines all day.  I think what you describe is a bit too minimalist and may come off as cheap looking though.  Plus, you may be surprised at how long 15 seconds really is when you have one static image frozen on your TV.

Everyone reading this knows there is a bit of a learning curve to bitcoins and 15 seconds isn't that much time to convey its message.  Once someone new to bitcoins picks up the bare essentials, in reality they are easy to use especially if more vendors pick up bitcoins.  We can make this simple, however, with tight shots of a single spokesperson with no clutter in the background.  I would like this much better than the God-voice narrator like in the AT&T commercials linked above.  Someone speaking directly to the viewer is more personable.

I do remember those AT&T You Will commercials.  It's interesting how prophetic they were as I see them again.  That future is here now and it isn't quite as exciting as it was imagined in 1993.

I think a simple approach would be in order for a few good reasons.

1.) Keep production costs as low as possible while keeping quality production value.
2.) An uncluttered message.
3.) Enhance the mystery and encourage the viewer to take that leap to the website.
4.) Convey cinematically the ease of bitcoin use.

As you point out this commercial would need to have a strong hook that will encourage the viewer to either scan a QR Code on their screen or else browse to weusecoins.com.  To do this I think we follow the strategy the creator(s) of the bitcoin employed in order to catch our attention.  Whether it was purposeful or not, they created an enigmatic character as the inventor who is no longer around.  I know this is one of the elements of the bitcoin that reeled me in as everyone loves a good story.  I say we go 180% from the AT&T commercials; simple visuals with clean and professional graphics but we tell an interesting story.  So here is what I've been thinking:

Tight shots on a single spokesperson with a simple, uncluttered background.  We will want to have a QR Code up somewhere on the screen at all times.  As he begins to speak it is almost as if he starts off in mid-thought.

SPOKESPERSON: Here is what we know.  In early 2009 a programmer calling himself Satoshi Nakamoto created what is now known as the Genesis Block.  This set off a chain of events that was to be the beginning of the world's most successful digital currency.  A currency that has no central authority or government to bureaucratize it.  No failing banks to mishandle it and charge outrageous fees to move it from person to person.  He called his new digital currency the Bitcoin and then... Mr. Nakamoto promptly disappeared from the scene.  Here is what we don't know.  When he brought the first Bitcoins into existence, did he know that he was about to change the world forever?  Interested?

Then we fade with the URL and maybe some text like "Where is Satoshi Nakamoto?"

Now all this being said, we can cut a :15 and :30 for television broadcast and even a 2-3 minute version for the website without raising production costs one bit...coin. Smiley

I am open to ideas.  If you guys think I'm way off base here let me know.  You won't hurt my feelings as most of you have much more experience with bitcoins than I do.  Ultimately this is Xenland's baby so as far as I'm concerned whatever he says goes.

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 06:18:53 PM

how about a "super bowl" commercial ?  if we get enough donations its possible lol 

talk about a "tipping point"  (:   tie it in with some football jocks we are set!

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 06:57:58 PM

I would like to see mock-up software and devices that show the real strengths of Bitcoin. IMHO the biggest strength is not anonymity, but transparency. Privacy is great, and should be protected, but we live in a culture of laws we create. Law enforcement can be given the tools to make every Bitcoin transaction transparent and traceable. No more money laundering, no more incentive for organized crime. Don't give me the Big Brother bullshit, that boat sailed long ago. In fact, so much money would be saved in law enforcement that because crime would decrease, prison population would decrease, and folks would save a fortune in taxes. The social benefits of Bitcoin are numerous.

The second best attribute of Bitcoin is security. It can't be stolen if properly stored and backed up. No FDIC needed. Mugging would be rare for people that don't wear jewelry.

The next attribute is obvious. Obscure securities based on credit and margins could not be bailed-out by printing fiat money.

Please add to the list.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
deltanine

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:08:43 PM

I would like to see mock-up software and devices that show the real strengths of Bitcoin. IMHO the biggest strength is not anonymity, but transparency. Privacy is great, and should be protected, but we live in a culture of laws we create. Law enforcement can be given the tools to make every Bitcoin transaction transparent and traceable. No more money laundering, no more incentive for organized crime. Don't give me the Big Brother bullshit, that boat sailed long ago. In fact, so much money would be saved in law enforcement that because crime would decrease, prison population would decrease, and folks would save a fortune in taxes. The social benefits of Bitcoin are numerous.

The second best attribute of Bitcoin is security. It can't be stolen if properly stored and backed up. No FDIC needed. Mugging would be rare for people that don't wear jewelry.

The next attribute is obvious. Obscure securities based on credit and margins could not be bailed-out by printing fiat money.

Please add to the list.

These are excellent thoughts, cbeast.  By including these three suggestions in the commercial's message we can leverage the current attitude the public has towards the economy that may create strong interest in weusecoins.com.

-S4VV4S
ALPHA.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:10:00 PM

Law enforcement can be given the tools to make every Bitcoin transaction transparent and traceable.

How?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 07:13:59 PM

I would like to see mock-up software

Please add to the list.

Thats to much information for 15 seconds.

no matter which way you cut it 15 seconds inst enough to say anything about bitcoin. for real we would need a 2 hour film called "Intro to bitcoin"

this is why i say the commercial should just give one clear message :: "Bitcoin ... go check it out online"

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:21:46 PM

I would like to see mock-up software

Please add to the list.

Thats to much information for 15 seconds.

no matter which way you cut it 15 seconds inst enough to say anything about bitcoin. for real we would need a 2 hour film called "Intro to bitcoin"

this is why i say the commercial should just give one clear message :: "Bitcoin ... go check it out online"

heh, yeah it would be difficult to do all of that in a short spot, but not impossible. I guess the simplest message about Bitcoin is that it re-invents the piggybank. (credit to slush for his avatar)

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Jalum

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:13:20 PM

If you're going to ask for $1500, post a line item budget.  It sounds like this project has no direction or leadership, and every idea put out there is met with the same level of positive enthusiasm.  Which is probably an excellent way to go if your plan is to run with the money.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:15:17 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2011, 08:30:17 PM by DeathAndTaxes

My crazy idea:

I like it.  Or maybe spend the first 30 seconds with sound bites from news "Fannie Mae requests another $78B in emergency funds", "Leman Brothers have filed for Bankruptcy", "US national debt reaches $15 trillion as unsustainable deficits continue", "Goldman Sach CEO testifies before Congress on charges of betting against its clients", "breech at credit card processor reveals confidental information of 14 million cardholders"

then the Bitcoin logo with "There is a better way" on the screen and no sound for 15 seconds then fade out.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:23:49 PM

My experience with producing tv, radio, and newspaper ads (before the internet days) tells me that Bitcoin would not be served well by tv spots. Radio spots on popular radio talk shows may be the best value.

deltanine

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:41:44 PM

If you're going to ask for $1500, post a line item budget.  It sounds like this project has no direction or leadership, and every idea put out there is met with the same level of positive enthusiasm.  Which is probably an excellent way to go if your plan is to run with the money.

I believe that's the plan, Jalum.  A line item budget can be provided for sure as I have a producer standing by who is willing to break it all down for us.  But right now we don't have a solid idea for the spot yet so there really is nothing to budget.  Xenland put a ballpark figure out there based on one I gave him.  But really, depending on the final idea we may fall below or above that figure.

I do hear what you are saying though.  It may be a good idea to hold onto your bitcoins until this thing develops further.

-S4VV4S
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:49:22 PM

@Xenland you might want to get in contact with the guys from bit-pay. I seem to recall they are wanting to do something in this area also. Might be a good idea for you guys to talk.
deltanine

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:50:03 PM

My experience with producing tv, radio, and newspaper ads (before the internet days) tells me that Bitcoin would not be served well by tv spots. Radio spots on popular radio talk shows may be the best value.

You may have a good point here.  I can see a talk radio audience, as one that would be enthusiastic about bitcoins(if they knew about them).  You can practically produce a radio spot for nothing really.  I bet you could get enough people that would be willing to donate voice talents, editing skills, etc. towards producing it as well.  This can also been done over the internet.  Sort of like how darkerprojects.com create their audio dramas.  I'd be willing to volunteer to help myself.

Then all the cost would go to ad placement alone.

-S4VV4S
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 01:20:27 AM

Liking the ideas everyone.

I don't think I can respond to them all, I'll try not to be so enthusiastic about getting the Bitcoin name out there... I see it makes people worried about their donations are really going too(lol I joke i don't care what anybody says if I like the idea Im going to say it!!! bottom line is I'm gonna save up for this my self if you guys want to help feel free to donate your time if you think Im going to run off with $1500 of joke amount of money....).

I do intend to start small like start with targeting my local city of Redding, nothing Super bowl HUGE! (like i got the money for that anyways). About the radio spot Idea that isn't a bad plan, someone from New York contacted me about a possible radio interview but I haven't heard back from him yet. Obviously I'm not just gonna sit by the phone and wait for the interview either, not my kind of cup of tea.

I do like the idea of purchasing a radio spot ad instead of tv ads those might do better as people who only listen to the radio nowa days are 99% probably stuck in their car and can't change the station on the account of the need to pay attention to the road.

I think I'm going to settle with a Radio ad.

deltanine, I'm going to PM you now for some writing ideas or samples? or anything else you can contribute to..

Were probably going to need voice actors for sure.... Anybody up for that?

Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:06:29 AM

Please add to the list.

May be we can mix this with the ATT progression of lifes idea.....

First it shows old western times with police investigators trying to track down crime, mean while it displays a sense of thriving trading and bartering going on.

Then it fast forwards to the 80s with police tracking down with a fancy gear compare to the old west days. Mean while showing people bartering and trading with credit cards and major banks.

Then it shows modern day era where police are using the internet along with scanning the Bitcoin network to track down an in-progress Hugest Bitcoin bank heist.... Mean while showing people all tied bound and gagged being kept hostage. It depicts the robbers trying to "Steal Bitcoins" and fail EPICLY! Swat team pops in takes down the criminals arrests them and as they are being loaded up they the chief of swat can say something catchy like.... "Didn't you know Bitcoins can't be stolen?"

Or somthing along those lines.......
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: