Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:40:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin commercial  (Read 6444 times)
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:19:07 AM

I would like to see mock-up software and devices that show the real strengths of Bitcoin. IMHO the biggest strength is not anonymity, but transparency. Privacy is great, and should be protected, but we live in a culture of laws we create. Law enforcement can be given the tools to make every Bitcoin transaction transparent and traceable. No more money laundering, no more incentive for organized crime. Don't give me the Big Brother bullshit, that boat sailed long ago. In fact, so much money would be saved in law enforcement that because crime would decrease, prison population would decrease, and folks would save a fortune in taxes. The social benefits of Bitcoin are numerous.

The second best attribute of Bitcoin is security. It can't be stolen if properly stored and backed up. No FDIC needed. Mugging would be rare for people that don't wear jewelry.

The next attribute is obvious. Obscure securities based on credit and margins could not be bailed-out by printing fiat money.

Please add to the list.

May be we can mix this with the ATT progression of lifes idea.....

First it shows old western times with police investigators trying to track down crime, mean while it displays a sense of thriving trading and bartering going on.

Then it fast forwards to the 80s with police tracking down with a fancy gear compare to the old west days. Mean while showing people bartering and trading with credit cards and major banks.

Then it shows modern day era where police are using the internet along with scanning the Bitcoin network to track down an in-progress Hugest Bitcoin bank heist.... Mean while showing people all tied bound and gagged being kept hostage. It depicts the robbers trying to "Steal Bitcoins" and fail EPICLY! Swat team pops in takes down the criminals arrests them and as they are being loaded up they the chief of swat can say something catchy like.... "Didn't you know Bitcoins can't be stolen?"

Or somthing along those lines.......

That'd be so fail when people who watched it google it and find out all about allinvain, or the bugged 0.4.0 encryption, or ...

(BFL)^2 < 0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:21:58 AM

I would like to see mock-up software and devices that show the real strengths of Bitcoin. IMHO the biggest strength is not anonymity, but transparency. Privacy is great, and should be protected, but we live in a culture of laws we create. Law enforcement can be given the tools to make every Bitcoin transaction transparent and traceable. No more money laundering, no more incentive for organized crime. Don't give me the Big Brother bullshit, that boat sailed long ago. In fact, so much money would be saved in law enforcement that because crime would decrease, prison population would decrease, and folks would save a fortune in taxes. The social benefits of Bitcoin are numerous.

The second best attribute of Bitcoin is security. It can't be stolen if properly stored and backed up. No FDIC needed. Mugging would be rare for people that don't wear jewelry.

The next attribute is obvious. Obscure securities based on credit and margins could not be bailed-out by printing fiat money.

Please add to the list.

May be we can mix this with the ATT progression of lifes idea.....

First it shows old western times with police investigators trying to track down crime, mean while it displays a sense of thriving trading and bartering going on.

Then it fast forwards to the 80s with police tracking down with a fancy gear compare to the old west days. Mean while showing people bartering and trading with credit cards and major banks.

Then it shows modern day era where police are using the internet along with scanning the Bitcoin network to track down an in-progress Hugest Bitcoin bank heist.... Mean while showing people all tied bound and gagged being kept hostage. It depicts the robbers trying to "Steal Bitcoins" and fail EPICLY! Swat team pops in takes down the criminals arrests them and as they are being loaded up they the chief of swat can say something catchy like.... "Didn't you know Bitcoins can't be stolen?"

Or somthing along those lines.......

That'd be so fail when people who watched it google it and find out all about allinvain, or the bugged 0.4.0 encryption, or ...

Could you elborate a little bit more I'm sort of confused.
ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:23:51 AM

They can't be stolen when properly stored.  Keywords being PROPERLY STORED.
People will google bitcoin and find out that it has indeed been stolen countless times.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:27:20 AM

If you're going to ask for $1500, post a line item budget.  It sounds like this project has no direction or leadership, and every idea put out there is met with the same level of positive enthusiasm.  Which is probably an excellent way to go if your plan is to run with the money.

I already stated I'm funding the project, I just threw out the number I was given I want the community deeply involved with what direction I go so I figured maybe I could think out side the box better with everyone involved and It worked! someone mentioned radio ads being more cost effective so far that sounds like a good direction.

As of right now there is no direction, and a lot of enthusiasm; so I can understand why you sense those attributes in relationship to the project.

nothing is set in stone, its just looking at the best advertising options and get some ideas out in the open. Any Ideas I don't use could obviously be used for inspiration by the next guy that wants to get ideas for future commercials....
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:29:27 AM

They can't be stolen when properly stored.  Keywords being PROPERLY STORED.
People will google bitcoin and find out that it has indeed been stolen countless times.

Okay well the commerical doesn't have to end with a lame catch phrase that is isn't truthful. but the point was to show that the catch phrase was going to be the "hook" to get people to check it out.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:47:14 AM

FUD will dissipate as Bitcoin becomes stronger and more secure. We need positive memes. Given the timeframe for this project, I wouldn't worry about hackers since people are getting smarter (including me) about encryption and backups.

Bank heists won't be possible not because police will detect the robbery, but because wallets will be encrypted. Even if they are decrypted, anywhere Bitcoins are spent they will be traceable at both ends of the transaction. Even Bitcoin laundry services will be unusable because it will be illegal to spend or accept unregistered non-green addresses which will be tagged by the nation in which they are used. No more inflation and your money saved will go up in value (on average, despite speculation) ensuring some security.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:24:10 AM

IMHO the biggest strength is not anonymity, but transparency. Privacy is great, and should be protected, but we live in a culture of laws we create. Law enforcement can be given the tools to make every Bitcoin transaction transparent and traceable. No more money laundering, no more incentive for organized crime. Don't give me the Big Brother bullshit, that boat sailed long ago.

Police state for the winz.  Privacy should be protected by using the Police to snoop in on every transaction.  Yeah no Orwellian double speak there.

That is just nonsense.

If the authorized user has access to his funds then an unauthorized user can have access to the same funds by "convincing" that user to release them.  "Transfer the contents of your wallet to this QR code or I blow her fraking brains out".  Pretty much the same thing as today except numbers instead of pieces of paper.
ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:30:49 AM

IMHO the biggest strength is not anonymity, but transparency. Privacy is great, and should be protected, but we live in a culture of laws we create. Law enforcement can be given the tools to make every Bitcoin transaction transparent and traceable. No more money laundering, no more incentive for organized crime. Don't give me the Big Brother bullshit, that boat sailed long ago.

Police state for the winz.  Privacy should be protected by using the Police to snoop in on every transaction.  Yeah no Orwellian double speak there.

That is just nonsense.

If the authorized user has access to his funds then an unauthorized user can have access to the same funds by "convincing" that user to release them.  "Transfer the contents of your wallet to this QR code or I blow her fraking brains out".  Pretty much the same thing as today except numbers instead of pieces of paper.

In that case, you could have a fake wallet in a public truecrypt volume and an actual wallet in a small hidden volume.  The burglar would never know.

(BFL)^2 < 0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:33:41 AM

Even Bitcoin laundry services will be unusable because it will be illegal to spend or accept unregistered non-green addresses which will be tagged by the nation in which they are used. No more inflation and your money saved will go up in value (on average, despite speculation) ensuring some security.

Why would China for example enforce US laws?  If funds are unlawfully transfered to an unknown address and then it passes into a laundry service (or legit business in china) with tens of thousands of other transactions what are you going to do then?

You do understand you can't track a Bitcoin because they don't exist?  Bitcoins are merely an abstraction of balances in accounts.  You can only track balances.  So what happens when "stolen" money and lawful money are both transferred into the same address?  Consider anything from that address illegal until the end of time.  What if a billion Bitcoins are transfered into the same addrress as 100 stolen Bitcoins?  Are all Billion now bad?

Have you actually looked at how Bitcoin works?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:40:12 AM

In that case, you could have a fake wallet in a public truecrypt volume and an actual wallet in a small hidden volume.  The burglar would never know.

Sure but he may then decide that isn't enough.  Could take you with him until someone comes up with enough money.  Use your phone and send some messages through Tor to all your family and friends saying that when 10,000 BTC are transferred into Address xyz you will be free to go.   If the funds aren't there in 72 hours don't bother because you will never be going anywhere ever again.  No need for kidnapper to arrange for a payment drop the network would take care of that for him.   He can track in realtime the progress. 

A smart thief would have the private key memorized or have it created from a deterministic wallet.  If he somehow did get caught after money was transferred you can never prove he knows the private key, perfect plausible deniability.  When he gets out of jail the ransom money will be waiting for him as soon as he reconstructs the wallet.

The idea that technology will solve all crime is laughable.
ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:00:32 AM

I think the key point here is that stealing money would require coercion of the wallet's owner with Bitcoin, whereas it has only required physical access to the money up to now.  Bitcoin makes it not impossible, but HARDER to commit burglaries.

(BFL)^2 < 0
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:21:27 AM

Even Bitcoin laundry services will be unusable because it will be illegal to spend or accept unregistered non-green addresses which will be tagged by the nation in which they are used. No more inflation and your money saved will go up in value (on average, despite speculation) ensuring some security.

Why would China for example enforce US laws?  If funds are unlawfully transfered to an unknown address and then it passes into a laundry service (or legit business in china) with tens of thousands of other transactions what are you going to do then?

You do understand you can't track a Bitcoin because they don't exist?  Bitcoins are merely an abstraction of balances in accounts.  You can only track balances.  So what happens when "stolen" money and lawful money are both transferred into the same address?  Consider anything from that address illegal until the end of time.  What if a billion Bitcoins are transfered into the same addrress as 100 stolen Bitcoins?  Are all Billion now bad?

Have you actually looked at how Bitcoin works?

I don't even know if this idea for bitcoin is even being discussed for incorporation yet, but I'm sure there are plans for it. The Silk Road is the biggest objection to Bitcoin. However, all transactions are public record. Sure, you could spend non-green Bitcoin in a state that did not allow registration, but that would also be a matter of record via IPs. If a billion (HA!) Bitcoin are transferred to the same address as 100 stolen Bitcoin, and the 100 are proven to be stolen, then the 100 would be traced and returned to where they came. If someone is dumb enough to use a publicly known address for a billion Bitcoin transaction, they deserve to have their account frozen until it is investigated. Registering an address can be as easy as an encrypted message to a treasury server using PGP. Hopefully someday this will make Bitcoin appealing to every treasury department.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 06:20:46 AM

I think you still fail to understand how Bitcoin works.

Say a major electronics provider in China accepts Bitcoin.  Someone steals you Bitcoins sells them to some guy in China.  He buys something from the electronics provider.  The stolen funds are now in the legit electronics provider's wallet.  Of course so are hundreds of thousands of other bitcoins from other transactions.

There is no concept of A BITCOIN.  It is a number which gets added to another number.  So what is the US going to do now.  Block all currency flows from this major electronics provider to any address in the US?   Of course not.  There is no way to block only the stolen bitcoins because bitcoins don't exist as discrete items any more than an excel document consists of actual numbers which move from one cell to another when you perform a calculation.

I have 10 bitcoins you send me 10.  I don't now have "my 10 bitcoins" and "your 10 bitcoins" I simply have an address which is assigned a VALUE of 20 BTC.  Blocking "stolen" Bitcoins would be impossible without a one world government which also happens to be a Police State.  Even then as long as both parties are willing to accept the stolen funds (i.e. robber buying drugs w/ "stolen" bitcoins) it couldn't be stopped. 

They are simply numbers.  It would be like saying the govt could stop you from writing an IOU encrypting it an emailing it to someone else, or printing it out and handing it to them, or passing it to them on a thumbdrive.
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 07:48:23 AM

Im not sure if it was my catch phrase(or robber) idea or possibly someone elses statement or idea. Lets stay on track here. In the end it matters on attracting new gamers, geeks and most importantly business owners to learn about bitcoins

I could care less if zero people joined Bitcoin forum, became a miner, accepted Bitcoins at their bussiness or started trading. My goal is mostly to just get the word Bitcoin in there head with truthful information. 
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 10:22:00 AM

Well, if you want people to accept Bitcoin, you need to have a good reason why they should.

Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 10:42:16 AM

Well, if you want people to accept Bitcoin, you need to have a good reason why they should.

Do you need reason to an open ended question?

The point isn't to convert it is to let the person find out and explore the world of Bitcoins on their own and get their own idea about what Bitcoin is.

something as economically sensitive and complex as Bitcoin you don't want to give the audience and strong idea about anything other wise they might think you are trying to incept an idea in their head.... you know how inception fanatics are....
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 11:13:51 AM

The point isn't to convert it is to let the person find out and explore the world of Bitcoins on their own and get their own idea about what Bitcoin is.

something as economically sensitive and complex as Bitcoin you don't want to give the audience and strong idea about anything other wise they might think you are trying to incept an idea in their head.... you know how inception fanatics are....

Howabout a jingle then?
Bitcoin is cool ♫
You should Google Bitcoin ♩♬
Get your Bitcoin today! ♫
 Grin

Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 11:27:36 AM

Hey that gave me an idea.....

Its my money! And i need it now!
Its my money! And i need it now!

Everyone breaks out into song...
*singing about Bitcoin

Howabout a jingle then?
Bitcoin is cool ♫
You should Google Bitcoin ♩♬
Get your Bitcoin today! ♫
 Grin
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 02:06:42 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2011, 02:23:28 PM by cbeast

Maybe a parody of Cee Lo Green's ditty "the change in pocket wasn't enough, Bitcoin" heh.

Seriously though, a good slogo and earworm works.

Tuxavant

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 03:35:29 PM

Law enforcement can be given the tools to make every Bitcoin transaction transparent and traceable. No more money laundering, no more incentive for organized crime.

Money laundering shouldn't be a crime any more than using encryption (TLS, Truecrypt, pgp, etc) to protect your other personal data. If you're a criminal and "laundering" money, you'll eventually be caught for the crimes you're committing to make that money and that should be that. I should be allowed (and I can with Bitcoin) to hide my finances - it's nobody's business how much I have or what I do with it.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: