Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:31:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk Charity Fund  (Read 699 times)
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 5915

Meh.

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:01:42 AM

I like giving for a good cause just as much as the next guy but sometimes I feel like it would be nice to send some bits and pieces here and there to a collective pool that would be given out at the end of each month for example. Why don't we launch something like that for bitcointalk? Imagine certain months if people were in a giving mood and we could make some headlines around the world (perhaps wishful thinking but still).

What I'd propose would be for either theymos or the newly formed multi-sig treasurer team to be in control of a donation address and at the end of each month we take a week to poll what charity to give it to?

Perhaps the idea is silly, if that's the case I always welcome a "F off". Just thought it might be time to spread some good vibes rather than the recent (not so recent) bad ones.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:08:05 AM

I think this will violate this rule:
<>
7. No begging. [5]
<>

[5] - "NEWBIE README" - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0
<>

I would consider "asking for donations" the same as "begging" :
beg
verb (used with object), begged, beg·ging.
to ask for as a gift, as charity, or as a favor:
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:09:10 AM

I think this will violate this rule:
<>
7. No begging. [5]
<>

[5] - "NEWBIE README" - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0
<>

I don't think it would be a direct violation of that rule if it was just an address posted in a thread by theymos, for example. Nobody would be forced to give and it wouldn't have to be promoted all too much. Would just be nice to see something official, perhaps you are right though  Huh

bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:15:32 AM

I think the poll should be taken before the funds are collected. I am leery of giving funds to a charity fund and after the poll, it ends up being for a cause that I don't agree with.
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:20:08 AM

I think the poll should be taken before the funds are collected. I am leery of giving funds to a charity fund and after the poll, it ends up being for a cause that I don't agree with.
I would agree with this statement. In addition to being a little annoyed about getting panhandled for money, I would be ticked off if any money I did give as part of my tithe went to something I did not wish to support.

I could also give money to a charity of my own choice on my own.
cabalism13
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165

🤩Finally Married🤩

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:22:34 AM

A nice idea, indeed. Me and my local will love to support this kind of project, I haven't updated my thread for I was too busy at the moment, and yet, there are some things that I must do first,... Still it wasn't dead yet, We're willing to continue this Charity Things.

As for the donations,we can also give the portion of the funds that we have saved in the past...
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:23:15 AM

That could definitely be a thing too. I don't know of too many charities accepting crypto but there's a handful - all of which support great causes like the water project, freeross etc.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:33:31 AM

I think you'd be better off creating a type of charity club where some members reach out to various established charities and try to convince them to accept Bitcoin. Then, you wouldn't need any middlemen holding the funds or any type of vote on what a collective fund would be used for. After the legwork is done, any user could contact the organization directly to get a new deposit address to prevent any sort of shenanigans, and there wouldn't be any sort of bureaucracy involved.
cabalism13
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165

🤩Finally Married🤩

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:33:38 AM

Shouldn't we just moved on, for the guys who doesn't want to support the OP?  Nobody would care if you didn't make a contribution, but if you're saying that you'll just support a Charity if you like it, then just do it. Nobody is enforcing you to make a donation for a random Charity. In fact, the poll will be the first move and I think you will still have the chance to decide for yourself whether you'll give or not.

That could definitely be a thing too. I don't know of too many charities accepting crypto but there's a handful - all of which support great causes like the water project, freeross etc.
There are some, but the majority is just pure scam. The only thing we can do about it is to visit them personally, just like what @crwth has done on the past month. If theymos could consider this then there will be some individuals here that will do a voluntary work.

I don't doubt the chances, if its for the sake of the other people whose in need, I won't hesitate to help. (I would also love the Animal Charity 😁 )

I think you'd be better off creating a type of charity club where some members reach out to various established charities and try to convince them to accept Bitcoin. Then, you wouldn't need any middlemen holding the funds or any type of vote on what a collective fund would be used for. After the legwork is done, any user could contact the organization directly to get a new deposit address to prevent any sort of shenanigans, and there wouldn't be any sort of bureaucracy involved.

I second this.
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:36:06 AM

That could definitely be an option too, although there's a few that already do accept bitcoin. But I get what you're saying, just wanted the community to come together slightly for a common goal.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3057

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2019, 12:41:29 AM

What I'd propose would be for either theymos or the newly formed multi-sig treasurer team to be in control of a donation address and at the end of each month we take a week to poll what charity to give it to?

You'd have to openly vet each charity before you even suggested them.   A lot of work.  Someone could just claim they are "like a charity" and accept donations.   Who would be on the hook for the taxes and legal issues?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:44:09 AM

That could definitely be an option too, although there's a few that already do accept bitcoin. But I get what you're saying, just wanted the community to come together slightly for a common goal.

It can still be a collective effort, the collective part would be the community effort to make it easier for anyone to donate. A trader might make a really nice trade and decide to donate some for example, but they might not do so if they have to jump through hoops converting to fiat to do so. If a handful of people put in the effort to reach out to charities to get them to accept BTC in the first place and keep a thread about those that do, the trader might donate when they otherwise wouldn't have.

It would be easier to get charities to accept if you said, hey, we've got a fund together with 1 BTC (~$8000) if you want to accept BTC to motivate them to learn about it in the first place, but then you run into the issue of people being unhappy donating to causes they don't care for by a popular vote.
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 12:46:44 AM

You'd have to openly vet each charity before you even suggested them.   A lot of work.  Someone could just claim they are "like a charity" and accept donations.   Who would be on the hook for the taxes and legal issues?

My suggestion would be to only go with the legitimate and verified charities, such as the water project, freeross etc. I believe there's an extensive list (We wouldn't add each and every suggestion to the poll, but perhaps take from this list?), if that makes sense. I had it when I did a charity raffle a while back, will see if I can't find it again.

It can still be a collective effort, the collective part would be the community effort to make it easier for anyone to donate. A trader might make a really nice trade and decide to donate some for example, but they might not do so if they have to jump through hoops converting to fiat to do so. If a handful of people put in the effort to reach out to charities to get them to accept BTC in the first place and keep a thread about those that do, the trader might donate when they otherwise wouldn't have.

It would be easier to get charities to accept if you said, hey, we've got a fund together with 1 BTC (~$8000) if you want to accept BTC to motivate them to learn about it in the first place, but then you run into the issue of people being unhappy donating to causes they don't care for by a popular vote.

Yeah I get what you're saying. As my reply above to VOD I would mainly have us start out with the ones that do already accept BTC/Other crypto, not converting any fiat or so (I've done it in the past when doing charity raffles). It's perhaps not the best idea but maybe some food for thought. I'll take what you've proposed to heart as well and see if I can't link up with a few other members and to just that, educate charities that currently don't accept crypto.

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2019, 01:13:40 AM
Merited by Vod (1)

It seems contrary to the whole idea of Bitcoin to have someone else handle payments for me when I can easily do it myself. Perhaps a better effort would be to maintain a list of Bitcoin-accepting charities if one doesn't exist yet, plus what Salty suggested. Also there might be some inconveniences with pooled funds depending on local laws and regulations - larger donations could trigger reporting requirements for the charities, individual donors might not be able to use tax deductions unless the fund itself is a charitable organization, etc.
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 01:35:26 AM

It seems contrary to the whole idea of Bitcoin to have someone else handle payments for me when I can easily do it myself. Perhaps a better effort would be to maintain a list of Bitcoin-accepting charities if one doesn't exist yet, plus what Salty suggested. Also there might be some inconveniences with pooled funds depending on local laws and regulations - larger donations could trigger reporting requirements for the charities, individual donors might not be able to use tax deductions unless the fund itself is a charitable organization, etc.

Understandable, evidently I did not think this thing through  Embarrassed

Lionel Messi

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 02:12:04 AM

No reason to apologize you are only trying to help everyone 
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2019, 02:28:17 AM

Nah, it's always easier to critique something...
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 03:13:06 AM

I believe that there could be something like this, but not accept donations, but contributions from services that are offered in the forum and paid in tokens. Signature Campaigns, bounties, ANN, airdrops. Any such topic would pay a small contribution, a part of this would pay for moderation and a portion would be sent for donations.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 03:23:33 AM

Given your history, I don’t think it is a good idea for you to be involved in managing others’ money in any way, including organizing any effort for someone else to do so.

Polls can be manipulated and are generally not reliable
Roll Eyes
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 04:04:05 AM
Merited by Hhampuz (1)

The voting could be proportional, so if you donate 1 BTC and vote to donate it to the EFF, 1 BTC will be donated to the EFF. Wink

More seriously, this sort of donation pool might have some extra positive effects due to its ability to more effectively market itself and its ability to engage in more complicated projects than just "donate to x charity". But for it to be better than just having donors donate to whoever they want, the pool should probably be an actual tax-exempt nonprofit.

I've thought before about giving forum badges (or maybe even forum BTC credit) for donating x BTC to Bitcoin-accepting charities, but it's difficult to track. There's no way to prove that you donated to the EFF, for example, as far as I can tell. It'd be nice if there was some standard protocol for this sort of thing.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: