Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:53:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wich linux is best for mining?  (Read 255 times)
Cosemose (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2019, 08:17:18 AM

hello guys im wondering if you could help wich linux is best for mining? because my cmd mining frezzes after 3 days :/ and i have read that linux is more stable than windows
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2019, 08:22:44 AM

Mining.. BTC ?

Don't even start wasting your energy for mining BTC with your computer (doesn't matter whether CPU or GPU).

You won't be able to gather enough hashrate to even solve a single share of a mining pool.

If you want to mine BTC, you need ASICs. And with ASICs you don't need to ask yourself which OS you should use.

Cosemose (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2019, 08:29:30 AM

Mining.. BTC ?

Don't even start wasting your energy for mining BTC with your computer (doesn't matter whether CPU or GPU).

You won't be able to gather enough hashrate to even solve a single share of a mining pool.

If you want to mine BTC, you need ASICs. And with ASICs you don't need to ask yourself which OS you should use.

No not BTC but ravencoin and other alt coins that is asic resistance Smiley
I use Nvidia cards
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6176

View Profile
June 06, 2019, 08:36:43 AM

I'm far from being knowledgable when it comes to mining alts but I believe ethOS is what I've seen people using and suggesting as well.  Alternatively, you also have SMOS.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5033

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2019, 08:42:50 AM
Merited by OmegaStarScream (1)

This topic actually belongs in the altcoin mining subforum.

That being said, your initial description of the problem isn't really informative:

--snip-- my cmd mining frezzes after 3 days :/ --snip--

Could you at least tell me/us:
  • Which mining software you're using (you already told us you're mining ravencoin)
  • Which distro you're running and how you set everything up
  • If there are error messages being shown
  • If there's anything in the syslog/debug log
  • Wether or not you were running in daemon mode, or maybe using screen over an ssh connection... Or were you working straight from the console.
  • Did you OS freeze, or just the miner
  • Which steps you already took in order to debug the problem
  • Maybe even some profit calculations... I don't know if it's worth a lot of time to investigate if you estimate to make a couple cents a year vs several thousand $?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Cosemose (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2019, 08:49:56 AM

I'm far from being knowledgable when it comes to mining alts but I believe ethOS is what I've seen people using and suggesting as well.  Alternatively, you also have SMOS.

thanks for the tip but i want to install the OS on my ssd thats in the M2 slot in my Asrock H110 Pro btc+ motherboard Smiley
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2019, 08:55:51 AM

thanks for the tip but i want to install the OS on my ssd thats in the M2 slot in my Asrock H110 Pro btc+ motherboard Smiley

AFAIK, ethOS comes as a disk image, so you should be able to write it to your SSD... Untested by me tough, just based on what i've read about this OS in the past

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Cosemose (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2019, 09:23:28 AM

AFAIK, ethOS comes as a disk image, so you should be able to write it to your SSD... Untested by me tough, just based on what i've read about this OS in the past

okey but i have read that running a Os from usb will like destroy your usb after a while of running it. Tongue
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2019, 09:50:54 AM

--snip--

okey but i have read that running a Os from usb will like destroy your usb after a while of running it. Tongue

You were talking about running the OS from your SSD, not an USB... And even then, you can always put the image on a new usbstick anyways, it's not like the stick will store your actual wallet, so if it is fried, nothing is lost but one or two hours of your time (offcourse, you shouldn't put important data on the same stick you run your mining os from)...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Cosemose (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2019, 09:58:00 AM

--snip--

You were talking about running the OS from your SSD, not an USB... And even then, you can always put the image on a new usbstick anyways, it's not like the stick will store your actual wallet, so if it is fried, nothing is lost but one or two hours of your time (offcourse, you shouldn't put important data on the same stick you run your mining os from)...

True but i feel safer to have the OS on my SSD Smiley
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2019, 11:38:57 AM

--snip--

True but i feel safer to have the OS on my SSD Smiley

Like i said: ethos gives you an image... You can write it to an SSD, HDD, USB, SAN, floppy (not really :p, a floppy wouldn't have enough space to hold the image).
But in case you don't want to use ethos, you can still try to answer some of my initial questions and we can see what went wrong on your first trial Wink

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 06, 2019, 07:17:22 PM

No not BTC but ravencoin and other alt coins that is asic resistance Smiley
I use Nvidia cards

If you are using Nvidia GPUs, look no further than nvOC Linux distribution.
When I was using it in the past, it was maintained by member fullzero and he has done a great job with it.
I'll still recommend looking into it.
Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250.0

My Nvidia rigs were so stable that I rarely spent any time troubleshooting them and they did consume a bit less power compared to Windows.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2019, 08:19:13 PM

you can set up any flavor of linux you prefer;  I use Ubuntu 16.04 on my rigs/servers.

Stability may hint at an underlying issue with the machine (power supply ripple, failing capacitors, bad memory, etc)  FYI.

If you wish to set up a miner that runs off a USB boot drive, if your server has enough ram; you could always use a ramdisk for the OS.... but that's asking a LOT of ram, so I suggest using a SSD.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
fk2

Activity: 67
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 06, 2019, 10:31:26 PM

I am using nvOC and even old rxOC with some fixes/scripts for myself but am wondering if I try something new. I have an eye on SMOS and HIVE so far, wondering when they are so easy to use they might not be that customisable?! Want to install on SSD and for me profitswitcher would be nice and if a new coin is in town I want to be able to quickly install a new miner by myself in case developers need time to implement. not sure if I can do that like on nvOC with SMOS or HIVE.

There was also another distro but I forgot the name... oh and I like the webinterfaces on HIVE so not so linux skilled parteners are also able to restart and things with a click.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: