Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:09:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtgox problem?  (Read 3232 times)
Jrock (OP)

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 12:29:38 AM

Ummm So I withdrew 1000 usd from mtgox last night. Now I'm trying to access my account and it says my pass is incorrect or my account name doesn't exist. I checked my email my password wasn't reset or anything like that. No my caps lock isn't on -_-
Does Mtgox lock your account if you withdraw a large amount or something? I have a yubikey and a decently complex password so I don't see how it could've been compromised.

Also I tried to do a password reset and it just leads me to a blank mtgox page. Wtf....

Anyone have an explanation to put my mind at ease because apparently mtgox estimate on a ticket response is 48-72 hours...I'm worried at this point.

"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jrock (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 12:34:24 AM

Better yet anyone know why when I hit the password reset button it just leads to a blank page? What am I missing. Ughhh.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 12:34:49 AM

I thought there was a limit on how much you can withdraw in 24 hrs too.

Maybe they should warn you before you withdraw rather than make you wait 24hrs.

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 12:35:53 AM

Ummm So I withdrew 1000 usd from mtgox last night. Now I'm trying to access my account and it says my pass is incorrect or my account name doesn't exist. I checked my email my password wasn't reset or anything like that. No my caps lock isn't on -_-
Does Mtgox lock your account if you withdraw a large amount or something? I have a yubikey and a decently complex password so I don't see how it could've been compromised.

Also I tried to do a password reset and it just leads me to a blank mtgox page. Wtf....

Anyone have an explanation to put my mind at ease because apparently mtgox estimate on a ticket response is 48-72 hours...I'm worried at this point.

Every time I open a support ticket with them, it is resolved within hours, not days. YMMV though.
Jrock (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 12:39:05 AM

I thought there was a limit on how much you can withdraw in 24 hrs too.

Maybe they should warn you before you withdraw rather than make you wait 24hrs.

Well I know there's a limit. But I should still be able to log in and trade etc. I can't though. it's as if my password either magically changed itself or my account deleted or something.

Jrock (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 12:40:18 AM

Every time I open a support ticket with them, it is resolved within hours, not days. YMMV though.

"Our help desk is experiencing unusually high traffic currently. We regret to inform you that you will experience some delays (currently 48-72 hrs) in us getting back to you."

Guess I'll have to wait and see. I don't see any crazy BTC or USD withdraw notifications in my email so I guess that's good lol.

epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 04:34:57 AM

I had the same thing happen to me the just the other day.  They never did say what the issue was, but I suspect that something I did triggered a security flag in their system and automagically shut down my account.
Litt

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 03:58:26 PM

One thing I know is that your account won't just get locked because you are making a $1000 withdrawal in a day.
That is the limit that is given to all customers. There must be another issue that is causing the problem although I can't say what exactly.

It's best to be patient with MtGox and maybe pay a visit to their irc at #mtgox and have a chat to see if you can get some clarification if you are urgent.
In my personal experience, MtGox has always come through with a resolution, although some issues take a little more time than others because you may not be the only one with the issue.
demkd

Activity: 242
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 02:20:54 AM

It's common problem, if you have similar problem try to use your e-mail as user name, sometimes it's help.
And they can lock your account to identify you, if you refuse to do so, they takes your coins.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 08:42:51 PM

It's common problem, if you have similar problem try to use your e-mail as user name, sometimes it's help.
And they can lock your account to identify you, if you refuse to do so, they takes your coins.

I wonder what happens if you have sell orders in place.  Do you suppose that they leave the orders on the books and if/when the sales happen just pocket the money?

Mt. Gox, at least, seems to have both the ability to trace blocks of coin from one theft or another, and takes some interest in doing something about it.

I am guessing that the exchanges could do much better than 1% by extorting the criminals in the community, and it's arguable from both a legal and moral perspective whether there is much wrong with that.  Or it is to me at least.  This is a truly interesting eco-system we've got evolving here.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Mt.Gox_Natalie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 04:08:29 AM

"Our help desk is experiencing unusually high traffic currently. We regret to inform you that you will experience some delays (currently 48-72 hrs) in us getting back to you."

Guess I'll have to wait and see. I don't see any crazy BTC or USD withdraw notifications in my email so I guess that's good lol.

Hello Jrock.  Sorry for the delay in response.  If you have not received a reply for your ticket on our support desk or if your problem persists, please give us your ticket number and we will look into it for you. 
antares

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 04:32:31 AM

this is crap. TBH, the same thing happened to me some time ago when I tried to deposit coins. Couldnt login. After getting in contact with support, they told me they had reenabled the login, however I would have to verify my account to be able to withdraw funds. Now I'm currently moving, and while that is in progress I cannot verify my account with mtgox.
According to them
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. In response to increased incidence of phishing and hacking attempts made against Mt.Gox and its users, stricter security precautions have been implemented to protect our users and their funds. Should suspicious activity be detected in relation to an Mt.Gox account, the ability to withdraw funds will be temporarily suspended until it can be confirmed that the owner of the account is in fact still in control. Please login onto the Mt.Gox page and visit https://www.mtgox.com/forms/verification to start the identification process.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

That answer is A LIE!. I use a static IP to access my mtgox account, and the account itself is yubikey-protected. I NEVER login from another IP. I did not even come close to touching my account withdrawal limit(I did never come near the $10000/Month withdrawal limit).

Considering their ongoing issues with making paxum withdrawals work in the 24hrs they promise, I am seriously concerned whether mtgox is having liquidity issues.

However, those "we disabled your account" things look strangely like an attempt to blackmail users to verify with them by holding funds back.
unsquidly

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 06:37:26 PM

Looks like you are having about the same issue with MtGox that I am and getting about the same terrible results.....Hopefully MtGox will loose many accounts and go under.....What a piece of crap site it is....
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 09:39:12 AM

Looks like you are having about the same issue with MtGox that I am and getting about the same terrible results.....Hopefully MtGox will loose many accounts and go under.....What a piece of crap site it is....

FIY = https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53661.msg642862#msg642862

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
ultima

Activity: 96

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 01:16:03 PM

Guys this is not funny! I have a few thousand USD in my account and now you are saying i can't access my own money?!!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 10:15:55 PM

Guys this is not funny! I have a few thousand USD in my account and now you are saying i can't access my own money?!!

The account is on someone else's computer systems.  Therefore it is their account and their money.  That is contributing to the difficulty you are having gaining access to it (I would posit.)

I've always considered the value I hold with my Bitcoin exchange, and even my mainstream banks, to be disposable.  This has a distinct cost in terms of convenience and fees and such, but I can balance these costs against how soundly I wish to sleep at night.  What Bitcoin offers is the certainty of assets which have no counter-party risk and the convenience of electronic transmissions.  I hope for a day when I can be more compfortable keeping a fair portion of my assets in Bitcoin and do a bulk of my financial transactions using it.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 12:00:24 AM

I agree, I'm convinced they stole money from me, withdrew all of my BTC.
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 03:07:00 AM

Hi MSIN

We are sincerely very sorry to hear that you have been a victim of this kind of fraudulent activity. From the information we have it looks as though your private data was stolen and used to gain access to your account to change your password. You can contact us for more info.

Despite your belief, Mt.Gox has not been hacked in any way and trading on Mt.Gox is still safe/secure. The way in which your account was taken over proves this point (again, you can contact us for more details).

That all being said, regrettably, it is to late for us to do anything with respect to recovering your funds.

Besides general security tips (strong passwords, not clicking links in emails, not opening unfamiliar attachments) to try and avoid this from happening again, our only suggestion is to buy a Yubikey. If you are not familiar a Yubikey operates as a 2-factor, one time password and thus, will make your account impervious to these types of attacks as the attacker would require both your password and the physical key to gain entry. Us asking you to buy a Yubikey may seem like salt in the wound after you've been victimized like this, however it is our sincere suggestion that you get one if you continue on as our customer or even if you decide to join a different exchange.

We also hope that this experience will not turn you away from using bitcoin in the future.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 04:23:51 PM

Hi MSIN

We are sincerely very sorry to hear that you have been a victim of this kind of fraudulent activity. From the information we have it looks as though your private data was stolen and used to gain access to your account to change your password. You can contact us for more info.

Despite your belief, Mt.Gox has not been hacked in any way and trading on Mt.Gox is still safe/secure. The way in which your account was taken over proves this point (again, you can contact us for more details).

That all being said, regrettably, it is to late for us to do anything with respect to recovering your funds.

Besides general security tips (strong passwords, not clicking links in emails, not opening unfamiliar attachments) to try and avoid this from happening again, our only suggestion is to buy a Yubikey. If you are not familiar a Yubikey operates as a 2-factor, one time password and thus, will make your account impervious to these types of attacks as the attacker would require both your password and the physical key to gain entry. Us asking you to buy a Yubikey may seem like salt in the wound after you've been victimized like this, however it is our sincere suggestion that you get one if you continue on as our customer or even if you decide to join a different exchange.

We also hope that this experience will not turn you away from using bitcoin in the future.

Stop acting like MtGox is bitcoin, this incident shows me that MtGox has no security measures and zero customer service.  It hasn't turned me off to BTC, it's turned me off to MtGox.
Litt

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 09:33:30 PM

I'm convinced that you have no proof of this and you are simply crying about your computer being compromised. If you were so concerned about your own security, you should have bought a yubikey.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: