Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:47:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which altcoins have features that make them in any way superior to Bitcoin ?  (Read 1707 times)
jambola2 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:05:13 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2014, 09:03:23 AM by jambola2

As far as I can see it,
( with my limited knowledge of the cryptocurrency world)
Bitcoin is the most valuable and most used cryptocurrency because it existed much earlier than other cryptocurrencies and it is easier to understand that Bitcoin is not just another scheme to steal your money.

But if you were to side with certain altcoins that are better than Bitcoin in certain ways , which are better than Bitcoin ?

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR YOU TO ADVERTISE YOUR SUPER FAST COIN
I am looking for innovative coins that have good features , not just speed.
Majority of the posts are just another name for a super fast coin.

Notable Alt-Coins:-

Litecoin : A stable coin with faster transactions and the one that started the trend of Scrypt.

Primecoin : One of the original coins that started the process of not wasting resources just for the sake of maintenance of the coin and allows usage of energy for other processes.
Gridcoin seems to be based on the same idea as Primecoin , but is newer and does not seem stable and more like a more innovative pump-n-dump

Faster coins: I'm not sure if they are an advantage or a disadvantage. This thread discusses it.
Some disadvantages are more orphans and hence more energy usage , more inflation etc.
The obvious advantage is the faster transactions.

Darkcoin and Anoncoin : These try to enhance privacy in different ways. Darkcoin with easier and more integrated coin mixing and Anoncoin attempting to prevent correlation of an address to a real identity to a further level.

Post your coin and I will add it if it seems innovative.
This thread aims to be a resource to showcase the better and more innovative coins over the pump-n-dumps.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
sarlangg

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:16:52 PM

I really like Credits.  It has a very generic, simple name (something we want for mass adoption.)  It has VERY fast transactions. It's currently underrated and not many people know about it.  With the right attention it could be HUGE.  I really don't look at it as another pump/dump scrypt coin.  I want it or something like it to replace Bitcoin some day.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=496685.0

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--kw2ZdIGQ
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:17:04 PM

Haha, that's a $128k question.

Dogecoin, because different algo (Scrypt) = large GPU miners network, faster transactions, larger infrastructure and community than LTC (also Scrypt) and significantly undervalued compared to LTC by the way.

NXT, because decentralized exchange, not relying on the slow bitcoin network (like XCP and MSC, but have a little bit of these too) and other cool features coming soon.

Maybe protoshares/bitshares as a small part of portfolio. No other worth investing as of now.
jambola2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:25:25 PM

Haha, that's a $128k question.

Dogecoin, because different algo (Scrypt) = large GPU miners network, faster transactions, larger infrastructure and community than LTC (also Scrypt) and significantly undervalued compared to LTC by the way.

NXT, because decentralized exchange, not relying on the slow bitcoin network (like XCP and MSC, but have a little bit of these too) and other cool features coming soon.

Maybe protoshares/bitshares as a small part of portfolio. No other worth investing as of now.

I am not talking about the community or anything , just the coin.

Dogecoin in my opinion is among the worst.
It gives a bad name to cryptocurrency and moves it from something serious to a joke.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
Nibiru

Activity: 224

Krugercoin [KGC]

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 01:30:30 PM

Krugercoin for sure  Grin -- Currently under appreciated not sure why?

Krugercoin - At the forefront is their blazing fast speed. Your transaction will be fully confirmed in about 60 seconds or less.

Their major goal is to become the crypto-currency of choice for merchants and consumers for their everyday transaction, whether it be a cup of coffee or a bigger ticket item. Our speed and security makes all of this possible. KrugerCoin is also based on sound money principals which makes it the smart choice for wealth preservation. It is designed to appreciate in value over time, unlike paper currency. This is due to the fact that only x coins will ever be produced. These advantages are what makes it the leading choice for users.

Krugercoin [KGC] - ZBn6BrLnSavE88bviMWpcYVLCgiUUzbo9n
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:31:17 PM

I am not talking about the community or anything , just the coin.

Dogecoin in my opinion is among the worst.
It gives a bad name to cryptocurrency and moves it from something serious to a joke.

Well, ok, strictly as a coin Dogecoin beats Litecoin, because faster transactions and undervalued compared to it. You're asking your questions because you want to know which coin has more chance to appreciate from current rate, aren't you?

Joke name helps attract new users, who are scared to touch more 'serious' coins because they have this illegal use stigma attached to them. Nobody can say that Dogecoin is used to launder money or something like that because it'd sound ridiculous, and that's the reason exactly why it will be popular, because there is no fear using them and media doesn't portray Dogecoin as the money of criminals. So no, I don't agree that Dogecoin gives a bad name to crypto currencies, on the contrary, it makes the whole crypto currency scene look agreeable to the public eyes.
jambola2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:32:51 PM

I really like Credits.  It has a very generic, simple name (something we want for mass adoption.)  It has VERY fast transactions. It's currently underrated and not many people know about it.  With the right attention it could be HUGE.  I really don't look at it as another pump/dump scrypt coin.  I want it or something like it to replace Bitcoin some day.

Video:

The only feature which seems better is the faster transaction speed.
While you seem optimistic,
( but you probably are just another early adopter looking to make it popular for your pump and dump to succeed)
The problem for your new coin is that bitcoin will not be displaced so easily.
Making faster transactions sounds like something that might defeat Bitcoin if they are on equal ground.
But Bitcoin is through the roof and this coin is nothing.

I am looking for innovative coins , not coins that are :-
"Super Fast"
Named after a famous person and therefore are the best logical currency
Made to be funny or named after a trend and hence should be worth millions

But,
I am now confused.
What is the drawback of having a faster coin ?
Why does Bitcoin have a 10 minute block time ?
Please answer here, so that I can use that information to further my search for a coin that is better than Bitcoin and could have replaced it if it was made a few years ago.

ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:35:58 PM

Darkcoin
jambola2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:45:00 PM

Darkcoin

Okay , it would have been better if you detailed , but for all those too lazy , this is the copy-paste from their website.

0.00000% Pre-mined
Super secure hashing algorithm: 11 rounds of scientific hashing functions (blake, bmw, groestl, jh, keccak, skein, luffa, cubehash, shavite, simd, echo)
Block reward is controlled by: 2222222/(((Difficulty+2600)/9)^2)
CPU only mining
Block generation: 2.5 minutes
Difficulty Retargets based on Kimoto's Gravity Well
Est. ~7M Coins in 2015, ~13M in 2020, ~23M in 2030 (84M theoretical max)
Almost Completely Anonymous Transactions using DarkSend: Beta testing on MainNet

No premine is expected in any currency.
Block reward seems pretty sensible , pretty much like Bitcoin.
CPU only mining doesn't make sense... Allowing GPUs and ASICs convinces more people to invest capital into the coin and allows faster growth.
2.5 minutes seems like a good enough block time.

My biggest questions are :-

1. What does a hashing algorithm that complex achieve ? SHA-256 seems secure enough.
2. How exactly are transactions more anonymous ?

traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:17:43 PM

wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:31:52 PM

-Einsteinium
-Any POS coin (except premine shams like nxtcoin.)
-Quark
-Dark
-Myriad
The above coins are more innovative than bitcoin. End of story.
nobodysbusiness

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:36:18 PM

Some people have promoted GridCoin and PrimeCoin as coins that potentially have better features than BitCoin. However, I don't see how this kind of feature will lead to massively increased adoption. Sure, you might feel good about helping people when you mine GridCoin, but the fact that your processor cycles are going somewhere useful doesn't actually positively affect the ease of adoption of the coin itself, with regards to its usefulness as a currency.

Plus, with GridCoin, there's the added security headache that comes from a possible breach of the computers that manage the supercomputing work (I'm not an expert, so I may be mistaken here). If GridCoins were $1000 a piece, people would be attacking that infrastructure like crazy.
master-P

Activity: 868

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 03:36:56 PM

I would do some serious research on most of the coins that people suggest, as you may find that they're nothing but glorified pump-and-dumps. I haven't seen a single coin that is superior to BTC yet.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 06:54:36 PM

I would do some serious research on most of the coins that people suggest

Says the bbq man!
MisterT

Activity: 50
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 06:58:12 PM

Undoubtedly NEXT
qbd1313

Activity: 332

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:48:30 AM

I think you will like Particle  Wink
the new wallet

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=392804.0

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:07:45 AM

Pretty much all of them.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Isildur23

Activity: 178

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:35:26 AM

test the Nxt Decentralised Asset Exchange here Wink

Ties are a prison for the soul...
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:47:10 AM

CPU only mining doesn't make sense... Allowing GPUs and ASICs convinces more people to invest capital into the coin and allows faster growth.
DarkCoin supports GPU mining

2. How exactly are transactions more anonymous ?
Basically it works like a Bitcoin Mixer

Jomppe

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 09:25:26 AM

Video:

The only feature which seems better is the faster transaction speed.
While you seem optimistic,
( but you probably are just another early adopter looking to make it popular for your pump and dump to succeed)
The problem for your new coin is that bitcoin will not be displaced so easily.
Making faster transactions sounds like something that might defeat Bitcoin if they are on equal ground.
But Bitcoin is through the roof and this coin is nothing.

I am looking for innovative coins , not coins that are :-
"Super Fast"
Named after a famous person and therefore are the best logical currency
Made to be funny or named after a trend and hence should be worth millions

But,
I am now confused.
What is the drawback of having a faster coin ?
Why does Bitcoin have a 10 minute block time ?
Please answer here, so that I can use that information to further my search for a coin that is better than Bitcoin and could have replaced it if it was made a few years ago.

I definetely agree with you. The fastness only of a coin is not important, actually quite the opposite if it creates unstable network.
However if you find a coin that is fast ´+ the network is safe, you have found something that is a serious threath to Bitcoin because BTC network is safe but the transfers are slow.

Actually I am glad there is one coin that is both safe and fast. It challenges BitCoin after it has matured a little bit... The first confirmation takes 30 seconds or less and there are less than 2 % orphan blocks.
Fastness combined with secure network is something that will take the throne of bitcoin when BTC collapses completely.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: