Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 11:18:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where will GPU's go next?  (Read 565 times)
daytrader420 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:46:19 PM

As the title says, I am just curious where the GPU's will go next.
I remember when ASIC's started hitting the BTC market, and GPU's made a slow transition from BTC to LTC.
Now that Scrypt ASIC's are arriving, I am curious where everyone thinks will be the next big thing for GPU's.

Personally, I think something like VertCoin or something along those lines would be good, since it's scrypt with an adaptive n factor.
But perhaps some new algorithm altogether will take over. I think it would be cool if it was something like XPM, but that seems losing some steam and value lately.

I'd like to think after scrypt asic's are in full effect and pushing GPU's out of the network, well I hope that all GPU miners can unite and support something like LTC was supported by the GPU community after SHA256 asic's took over.

If you have any thoughts on what might be worth taking a good look at, please post here, I'm interested in learning more without reading about 10,000 different alt's.

Smiley
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:50:55 PM

I remember when ASIC's started hitting the BTC market, and GPU's made a slow transition from BTC to LTC.
Now that Scrypt ASIC's are arriving, I am curious where everyone thinks will be the next big thing for GPU's.

Personally, I think something like VertCoin or something along those lines would be good, since it's scrypt with an adaptive n factor.
But perhaps some new algorithm altogether will take over. I think it would be cool if it was something like XPM, but that seems losing some steam and value lately.

I'd like to think after scrypt asic's are in full effect and pushing GPU's out of the network, well I hope that all GPU miners can unite and support something like LTC was supported by the GPU community after SHA256 asic's took over.

If you have any thoughts on what might be worth taking a good look at, please post here, I'm interested in learning more without reading about 10,000 different alt's.
I'm mining groestl and skein already, they take less energy to mine than scrypt
ScroogeD

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

█ Scrooge D Silver █

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:51:18 PM

Go Vertcoin

BTC & LTC #DOGE #DRK #HUC #VTC
Blacklist #Maxcoin - Amateur Devs with ignorant JP Morgan Keiser
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 03:57:24 PM

At this point GPUs are still very much in the game when factoring in the price and mining speed of Scrypt ASICs. Maybe someone will come up with another crypto that uses a different algorithm. Or maybe we'll see a lot of cheap GFX cards on craigslist soon Grin

Either way I think the direction that Scrypt mining is headed in is good because a lot of electricity is being saved. GridSeed miners only use 7W per module when mining Scrypt. Who knows, maybe Scrypt ASICs will become more popular with consumers than SHA ASICs.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:17:41 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 04:31:55 PM by wasamata

What I would like to see is an SCRYPT ASIC PROOF SWITCHING MULTIPOOL,

Now that be an even playing field.

Problem solved.
coa032

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:30:42 PM

Mine vertcoin,ultracoin,maxcoin,qubitcoin.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 04:31:41 PM

http://kolinevans.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/why-there-could-be-a-mini-revolution-occuring-in-crypto-currency/

warning lots of words.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
wasamata

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:33:11 PM

http://kolinevans.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/why-there-could-be-a-mini-revolution-occuring-in-crypto-currency/

warning lots of words.

Yep read it, some interesting points, some truths, but also some bias towards quark obv.
wasamata

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:35:56 PM

Or quarkcoin, CACH, memory, Dark, Myriad?

Nah, easier solution is an multipool of scrypt asic proof coins.

Perhaps the GPU community could make a bounty for the first person to create such a pool.
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 04:37:36 PM

warning lots of words.

Yep read it, some interesting points, some truths, but also some bias towards quark obv.

obviously - considering Quark and its proto SIF created cPoW, i guess that could be warranted, other than that just as its written.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 04:38:52 PM

Or quarkcoin, CACH, memory, Dark, Myriad?

Nah, easier solution is an multipool of scrypt asic proof coins.

Perhaps the GPU community could make a bounty for the first person to create such a pool.

+ 1

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 04:41:35 PM

Here is where BFL will come into play again, which kind of makes me laugh actually, because SCrypt could have a good chance at survival if people trusted pre -order companies ha ha.n

but you know.

its easy to trust a GPU you buy your self, and as i predicted much earlier, decentralized Code can obviously evolve in a more efficient manner than hardware.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: