Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:28:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Number of Connections  (Read 1165 times)
plogank (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 03:53:21 AM

I've noticed that when I'm at home using a very fast IP, there are times I have up to 50 connections.  However, when I'm at the family ranch using Hugh's Satellite the most I ever have is 8.  It would seem then the client determines the speed and connects accordingly.

Is this correct or is something else going on?

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 06:01:06 AM

Something else. Hughes uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT , thus you have no hope of accepting incoming connections.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
piuk
expert

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 02:36:14 PM

I've noticed that when I'm at home using a very fast IP, there are times I have up to 50 connections.  However, when I'm at the family ranch using Hugh's Satellite the most I ever have is 8.  It would seem then the client determines the speed and connects accordingly.

net.cpp

static const int MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS = 8;

Bitcoin defines a limit for the maximum number of outbound connections the client will attempt to make. Once this limit is reached the client will stop trying to make new connections, but will still accept new incoming connections.

You can recompile and increase this number.

o

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:56:32 PM

In the bitcoin client 0.5, there is a connection icon at the lower right corner indicating the connectivity. The best status ever shown is only three bars which I interpret it as "pretty good connection", but it never show four bars for the "very good connection". The four bars status is only possible when MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS take a higher value.

Is it confusing for user? They may think that there is connection problem because of the icon, but in fact they cannot change it easily in the client.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 09:00:53 PM

In the bitcoin client 0.5, there is a connection icon at the lower right corner indicating the connectivity. The best status ever shown is only three bars which I interpret it as "pretty good connection", but it never show four bars for the "very good connection". The four bars status is only possible when MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS take a higher value.

Is it confusing for user? They may think that there is connection problem because of the icon, but in fact they cannot change it easily in the client.

It is intentional.  To have a higher connectivity indicator requires inbound connections.  While you are limited to 8 outbound connections the client allows up to 125 inbound connections.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: