Bitcoin Forum
August 23, 2019, 12:26:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.18.0 [Torrent] (New!)

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lightning Network FAQ  (Read 1395 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitart

Activity: 1316
Merit: 616

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
August 07, 2019, 08:51:35 PM

Hi,
I've read the FAQ and have a simple question:
I know that it's possible to run a LN node on Raspberry PI (because I have one and I had a node on it in 2017 (I know, long time ago))
Fees has settled and I've switched off the node and forgot about it, it's in the drawer, untouched since the power off.
It was a neutrino node (without the copy of the blockchain downloaded locally)

So my question is:
If I just switch it on, it will be really outdated (it was an LND node)

Does it worth the time and the energy to start again with a Raspberry PI? (I have it, I won't use it for anything else, and I don't want to sell it, so if it won't be painfully slow or useless, is there any reason why not to play with it again?)

If it's OK to start a node on Raspberry, which one would you recommend?
Is neutrino a working solution now (it was in a really beta state in 2017), or I should attach a HDD to the PI with the blockchain, downloaded previously with a PC, and start a full node?

Thanks for the answers in advance, I'm not lazy to read and to search, but I need someone to show the right direction before I start searching and reading a lot Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1836

View Profile
August 07, 2019, 10:00:31 PM

neutrino's probably improved since you last used it, but I don't have any experience of that. The bitcoin network will have alot more neutrino nodes in either the October release or the April release of the core node software, but until then you'll be relying on the small number of btcd nodes that support it

Vires in numeris
BitCryptex

Activity: 672
Merit: 967

Write @BitCryptex or quote my post to notify me

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2019, 05:35:54 PM
Merited by bitart (1)

Does it worth the time and the energy to start again with a Raspberry PI? (I have it, I won't use it for anything else, and I don't want to sell it, so if it won't be painfully slow or useless, is there any reason why not to play with it again?)

Using a Raspberry Pi is kinda a bumpy ride. It works well for most of the time, but sometimes, it slows down for no reason. It will be usable if you don't mind waiting another 30 seconds from time to time.

If it's OK to start a node on Raspberry, which one would you recommend?
Is neutrino a working solution now (it was in a really beta state in 2017), or I should attach a HDD to the PI with the blockchain, downloaded previously with a PC, and start a full node?

Most tutorials out there are made for LND which is the only implementation supporting neutrino. Neutrino seems to be working fine since Lightning Lab decided to use it in their mobile mainnet Lightning Network wallet. There's also another light client called Breez available on iOS which also uses neutrino.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 09:08:04 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2019, 12:05:12 AM by Carlton Banks
Merited by BitCryptex (4), bitart (1)

Using a Raspberry Pi is kinda a bumpy ride. It works well for most of the time, but sometimes, it slows down for no reason.

try giving bitcoind (and your lightning daemon) a positive nice number, e.g.

Code:
nice -n 9 /usr/bin/bitcoind

this tells the linux kernel to de-prioritize CPU cycles that would otherwise be scheduled for a given process. All userland processes have an implicit nice value of zero, which means there's a FIFO style dynamic in the way they are served by the CPU. The range of valid nice values is from 19 (maximally nice) to -20 (not at all nice). htop tells you what nice value is assigned, possibly top will too

this should help to smooth out resource usage on a raspi

another angle is to boot directly from an SSD (and put your swapfile on the SSD also). This might only work on rasPi 3's, cannot remember specifically. The /boot partition can stay on your microSD, as it's not performance contingent, and likely read-only too. You just need to tell the config files in /boot to start the init process from /dev/sda (or whatever device your SSD system disk is)

Vires in numeris
bitart

Activity: 1316
Merit: 616

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 09:54:15 PM

Thank you guys, that was really helpful!
Now I'll start reading about the changes in LND and I'll try to upgrade my Raspberry to the latest release
(Or I'll start from scratch, maybe it's better)
So at first I don't mind if it will slow down from time to time but if it will happen frequently I know now where to find a nice solution for the problem Smiley

BitCryptex

Activity: 672
Merit: 967

Write @BitCryptex or quote my post to notify me

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2019, 09:54:20 PM

The range of valid nice values is from 19 (maximally nice) to -20 (not at all nice). htop tells you what nice value is assigned, possibly top will too

Isn't it exactly the opposite? I looked up this command on a few websites and they said that setting it to -20 makes the process the most favorable. Thanks for your suggestion. I have already contacted Zand_ and we might give it a shot along with neutrino.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 11:34:01 PM

Isn't it exactly the opposite? I looked up this command on a few websites and they said that setting it to -20 makes the process the most favorable.

correct, except making the lightning/bitcoin daemon more favorable is not what you want to keep the raspi stable Wink

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.