Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:38:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Stop Loss Mistakes To Avoid  (Read 679 times)
Negotiation (OP)

Activity: 1050
Merit: 262

Need a Helping hand? https://tinyurl.com/2p94uabm

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2019, 02:23:07 AM
Merited by BitcoinGirl.Club (2), philipma1957 (1), Pmalek (1), leowonderful (1)

This is not financial advice and I am not a financial advisor. I’m sure there’re plenty of licenced professionals in your jurisdiction. Speak to them, not strangers on the internet with Hyman Minsky avatars.

A stop loss order is an order to close a position at a certain price point/percentage in order to limit one’s losses.
As the name suggests, one uses a stop in order to limit one’s losses where a trade idea is unsuccessful.
Using a stop loss is an important pillar of risk management. This is why any (sensible) book, webinar, mentorship, guru, and so on will emphasise the importance of using a stop when trading.
Somewhat paradoxically, poor stop placement and management can cost you a lot of money.
We’ve all been there: a candle wick triggers your stop, knocks you out of a trade, and price proceeds to hit your exact target but without you on board.
In this article, I’ll cover five common errors pertaining to stop placement and management to avoid (in no particular order).

1. Not Determining your Stop Placement in Advance

You should know where your stop is going to be before you open a trade.
The same goes for your entry and target(s).
As soon as the trade is live and you’re seeing your p&l fluctuate, you’ll find every single reason in existence to stay in the market.
The benefit of ascertaining your stop before you open a trade is that it removes any emotions from the decision, because you haven’t yet risked any of your capital. You’re simply looking at a chart.
Additionally, if you don’t have a predetermined stop and the market starts moving against you with the full threatening force of big, scary Japanese candlesticks, there’s a much higher likelihood that you market puke the position without considering whether your trade idea has actually been invalidated.
There’s no point ‘winging’ your stop — decide where you’re wrong before you open a position.

2. Placing your Stop Based on Arbitrary Numbers

The market doesn’t care about your R:R, some magic number 2% away from your entry, or some other bullshit figure.
One of the gravest errors you can commit is to try to make the market fit your framework as opposed to fit your framework to the market.
While it’d be very convenient if there were some magic number or equation one could apply to get pristine stop placement, no such thing exists (to my knowledge).
Therefore, when it comes to deciding where to place your stop loss, that decision should be predicated on technical analysis.
Stop placement should not be predicated on some magic price level which meets a certain percentage or gives you your desired R:R. The market doesn’t care for that.

3. Moving your Stop to Break Even/Marginal Profit ASAP

The purpose of a stop is to protect you if your trade idea doesn’t work out. The purpose of a stop is not, I submit, to render a trade “risk-free” the moment it moves in your favour.
This is a logical corollary to the argument that your stop ought to be based on technical analysis.
Most people would agree that one’s stop should be based on technicals, yet happily move their stop to break even/marginal profit if it moves in their favour.

This is contradictory.

Moving your stop to break even/marginal profit is similar to calculating your stop placement based on arbitrary numbers (the argument preceding this one).
The market doesn’t care where you entered and where you’re break even. The moment you arbitrarily move your stop to be “safe” you also abandon a technical-based approach to the position (unless, of course, your break even happens to coincide with a technically significant level).
Why would you abandon or alter your trade idea simply because it locks in a break even/slight profit?
The question to ask yourself is this: if I didn’t have a position, and price moved to my break even/marginal profit stop, would I consider that to be a key area/invalidation level?
If the answer is a resounding no (as it often is) then you have just demonstrated that getting out of the trade at that point is an arbitrary decision.

Instead, your stop loss should go where you’re decisively wrong on your trade idea. If you’re making an entry, you should be able to point and tell me “if price goes above/below X, then my reasons for entering the trade will have been disproved by the market and then I am almost certainly wrong on my idea”.

If you can’t do that, you probably shouldn’t be taking an entry.

Stick to your guns, believe in your original trading plan, and let the market prove to you that you’re wrong by hitting your original stop loss if it moves against you.
Unthinkingly moving to break even all the time is lazy trading and effectively abandoning your own technical analysis.

4. Setting your Stop at Pockets of Liquidity
There are certain price structures that are regularly raided for liquidity before the market reverses.
In order to gain an understanding of how order flow, liquidity, and all that fun stuff operates in markets, I humbly suggest watching my video on order flow.
The summary is this: avoid placing your stop loss directly above/below: key swing highs/lows and clean equal highs/lows, because there is a good chance the market will trade through them before reversing.
You can do this exercise yourself: open a price chart of the market(s) you trade and mark out the key swing points, range high/lows, and clean equal highs/lows.
In most cases you’ll see that price has a tendency to trade through those structures before moving in the opposite direction. Traders with stops above/below such structures get knocked out of their positions before the market continues in their expected direction without them.

How do you protect yourself from being hunted?

There’s no easy way to do it, which is part of the reason it’s so effective in every market.
This is especially true if you mostly use self-executing orders and you’re not at your screen watching price as it comes into those key areas.

The tip can be summarised thus: don’t place your stop in really obvious places.

Deep and obvious swing points, range boundaries, and equal wicks stand out like a sore thumb, and that is why they’re often targeted during runs on liquidity — because it is tempting to use them as a reference point when leaving orders in the market.
So, the least you can do for yourself is to leave some space between your stop and one of the aforementioned structures, to allow price to wick through the high/low without knocking you out alongside it.
Give it some breathing room (especially if your market spikes often) and certainly avoid, where possible, leaving your stop right on top/under an alluring wick.

5. Never Moving your Stop

As mentioned, the purpose of a stop is to protect your account if your trade idea is incorrect. However, once the market proves to you that your trade idea may be accurate as it moves in the expected direction, your stop can be used protectively to maintain a good R:R as price heads towards target.
Wait, Cred. Isn’t that a contradiction? You’ve just told me to trust my stop and that I’m an asshole if I move it, and now you’re telling me to move it?
Yes I am, and there’s no contradiction.
If you blindly move your stop to break even/marginal profit as soon as you can, that’s an arbitrary decision which isn’t based on technicals or the market proving anything to you.
If you move your stop as the market proves that it’s moving in the expected direction e.g. as it starts to break down, that’s a decision based on technicals and a way to maintain a good R:R as price heads towards your target.
The difference should be clear. The former is an emotional decision to feel “safe”. The latter is taking active measures based on technicals to maintain a good R:R as price moves towards target.
For example: it is common to start moving one’s stop after a thrust move/momentum candle in the expected direction in acknowledgement that buyers/sellers have stepped in at that area, and that price has no real reason to go back below/above it. This is quite different from moving to a break even/marginal profit stop as soon as price moves away from entry.

So let’s get to the substance.

By moving your stop I mean moving it stop up (if you’re long)/down (if you’re short) as price makes its way to your target.
The reason for doing so is relatively simple: the market has no obligation to hit your exact target for the trade, and by moving your stop you preclude a winning trade from turning into a break even or losing one.

Take the example above.

When entering the outlined trade, you have an R:R of 2:1 (or 2R). As price starts to break down, let’s assume you move your stop to break even/marginal profit to be “safe”. Price comes close to your target , but you don’t get filled and it starts reversing (blue circle). At that point (blue circle area), you can recalculate your R:R to see if it is at least reasonable.
As you can see in the example, if you do not move your stop at all, you risk giving back ~1.8R to the market for a reward of just 0.2R. In other words, if you do not move your stop at all, your R:R becomes disproportionately poor if price fails to reach target and comes back to take out your break even stop.
There is no such thing as a free trade — that’s simply money you’re giving back to the market.
Just like before, the market has no obligation to hit your target. Moving your stop is how you still make money even if your target selection is imperfect, as will often be the case.
Don’t be arrogant — it’s foolish to let a good trade turn into a break even just because you were waiting for your exact target. The market owes you nothing, and it doesn’t care where your exact target is.
Be dynamic with your stops as the trade progresses, maintain a reasonable R:R throughout the trade, and you can still make money without timing the exact point where the market turns.

I'm not the author of this article I confused some trend (use stop-loss)first you decided How much percent you profit and lose to make.
If you have a Better idea about uses stop-loss, then you can share.

Main article Source:  https://medium.com/@cryptocreddy/5-stop-loss-mistakes-to-avoid-bea274857371

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cosmofly

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
July 07, 2019, 04:51:07 AM

This is really a very useful article for new traders and especially me. I was really quite difficult to place a stoploss at any stage and at what price.
I tried to ask my friends and read books but most of them were just theory and no practical experience.
This article has really enlightened me and I will apply them in the next transactions at LTC / USDT. thank you so much. Cheesy

Nellayar

Activity: 868
Merit: 185

Roobet supporter and player!

View Profile
July 07, 2019, 02:48:26 PM

This is true. most of us have mistakes when it comes in cutting cut loss.

Will we cut our loss even if we lose half of our capital already? In some, it is good because we have small capital, so our risk is not yet recognize. But I assure that if you lse 20K dollars, you will think some good options to keep your funds safety. It is better to hold than to sell if we have 50% losses already. That is why we need to have place of loss when we enter the market, so that we are guided on when and where should we stop.

Negotiation (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2019, 05:36:53 PM
Merited by philipma1957 (1)

I tried to ask my friends and read books but most of them were just theory and no practical experience.
This article has really enlightened me and I will apply them in the next transactions at LTC / USDT. thank you so much. Cheesy
Stop-loss uses totally depend on your trade stagy firstly remember your trade quality Short-mid & long term trade if you open long term trade so very able time no need Stop-loss but you have doubt drop support zone so you can use stop-loss.

Will we cut our loss even if we lose half of our capital already? 
It's true that a person can not always gain, profits and losses are completely his personal decision, trade is a big thing, there is no easy thing here, in the first case, opening a trade with bigger amounts is very risky. So it's better to get started in smaller areas.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
July 07, 2019, 08:21:49 PM

I've experienced pretty significant slippage on Bitmex with market stops in the past as well, especially when a large candle in either direction happens and the trading engine becomes overloaded. Sucks that it happens, but it's better than not having a stop at all.

You should also only be using market stops on any trading site; limit stops can simply just not execute especially on sites like Bitmex, and the risk to reward just isn't there, even when you do get a bit of a fees rebate on a site like Bitmex for using limit orders.

Another comment: the author on Medium who wrote this article publishes GREAT articles on trading, and I always read these articles whenever they come out. Really excellent work.
Nellayar

Activity: 868
Merit: 185

Roobet supporter and player!

View Profile
July 07, 2019, 10:06:34 PM

Will we cut our loss even if we lose half of our capital already? 
It's true that a person can not always gain, profits and losses are completely his personal decision, trade is a big thing, there is no easy thing here, in the first case, opening a trade with bigger amounts is very risky. So it's better to get started in smaller areas.

Definitely agree! Our decision may ruin our capital. That is why it is good also to divide our capital into several parts so that if we lose the first part, there are other parts that we can use again to trade.
For example, we have 30,000 dollars. If we divide in several parts, we can trade 10K dollars first, then if it lose we have another 20K dollars to be invested. And I am sure that we will secure the last parts since we are fear to lose again and again.

Trading is really risky. We have to make strategies on our own.

rodel caling

Activity: 952
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 07, 2019, 10:26:07 PM

This is true. most of us have mistakes when it comes in cutting cut loss

We should know that we can't avoid when it comes in trading because nobody can predict perfectly potential coins to get earn in trading.
But the OP article can help it to minimize the loses of the traders and then I believe mistakes is the good guide of every traders how it can learn well become a great trader.
johanesrobin

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 08, 2019, 10:14:44 PM

As soon as the trade is live and you’re seeing your p&l fluctuate, you’ll find every single reason in existence to stay in the market.
I always focus on profits so I forget this strategy, even though we never knew that coins could suddenly fall and we don't know whether to go out and buy back or backup.
I realized that emotions affected my trade.
John Weekend

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2019, 11:02:32 PM

Great advices !
Negotiation (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2019, 01:23:20 AM

I always focus on profits so I forget this strategy, even though we never knew that coins could suddenly fall and we don't know whether to go out and buy back or backup.
I realized that emotions affected my trade.
Agreed on this point, profit is not main fact Cryptocurrency Trading or Cryptography very difficult for Dominated. first time better learn & start a smaller amount.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2019, 05:36:52 AM

It may backfire

I mean you shouldn't stick to any trading rule as if it were carved in stone (even if it literally were). For example, you may set your stop in advance but then market conditions change dramatically (beyond your expectations) and it may no longer make trading sense. You may have to move it lower or higher (so-called trailing stops). You may want to remove it altogether (it is a dubious approach but still) or you may choose to enforce it immediately, i.e. close your position at a market price right then, no matter what that price is. In other words, it is the market situation which should dictate your trades, not some hard rules

slaman29
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1212

Livecasino, 20% cashback, no fuss payouts.

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 07:13:44 AM

I think any average and amateur trader should know about these stop losses. But I guess the more advanced ones are the ones most guilty of using those stoploss mistakes, the one moving it to break even or marginal profit though, I know scalpers who instead of taking their profits at the end of the day (like in their last hour of trading), if they see that they are JUST about to take profit, they decide, ok all open trades, let's move stoploss to even and move TP to something really high. Seems to pay off when they wake up next day.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
... LIVECASINO.io    Play Live Games with up to 20% cashback!...██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Genamant

Activity: 730
Merit: 102

Trphy.io

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 01:29:00 PM

This is not financial advice and I am not a financial advisor. I’m sure there’re plenty of licenced professionals in your jurisdiction. Speak to them, not strangers on the internet with Hyman Minsky avatars.

A stop loss order is an order to close a position at a certain price point/percentage in order to limit one’s losses.
As the name suggests, one uses a stop in order to limit one’s losses where a trade idea is unsuccessful.
Using a stop loss is an important pillar of risk management. This is why any (sensible) book, webinar, mentorship, guru, and so on will emphasise the importance of using a stop when trading.
Somewhat paradoxically, poor stop placement and management can cost you a lot of money.
We’ve all been there: a candle wick triggers your stop, knocks you out of a trade, and price proceeds to hit your exact target but without you on board.
In this article, I’ll cover five common errors pertaining to stop placement and management to avoid (in no particular order).

The benefit of ascertaining your stop before you open a trade is that it removes any emotions from the decision, because you haven’t yet risked any of your capital. You’re simply looking at a chart.
Additionally, if you don’t have a predetermined stop and the market starts moving against you with the full threatening force of big, scary Japanese candlesticks, there’s a much higher likelihood that you market puke the position without considering whether your trade idea has actually been invalidated.
There’s no point ‘winging’ your stop — decide where you’re wrong before you open a position.

2. Placing your Stop Based on Arbitrary Numbers

The market doesn’t care about your R:R, some magic number 2% away from your entry, or some other bullshit figure.
One of the gravest errors you can commit is to try to make the market fit your framework as opposed to fit your framework to the market.
While it’d be very convenient if there were some magic number or equation one could apply to get pristine stop placement, no such thing exists (to my knowledge).
Therefore, when it comes to deciding where to place your stop loss, that decision should be predicated on technical analysis.
Stop placement should not be predicated on some magic price level which meets a certain percentage or gives you your desired R:R. The market doesn’t care for that.

3. Moving your Stop to Break Even/Marginal Profit ASAP

The purpose of a stop is to protect you if your trade idea doesn’t work out. The purpose of a stop is not, I submit, to render a trade “risk-free” the moment it moves in your favour.
This is a logical corollary to the argument that your stop ought to be based on technical analysis.
Most people would agree that one’s stop should be based on technicals, yet happily move their stop to break even/marginal profit if it moves in their favour.

This is contradictory.

Moving your stop to break even/marginal profit is similar to calculating your stop placement based on arbitrary numbers (the argument preceding this one).
The market doesn’t care where you entered and where you’re break even. The moment you arbitrarily move your stop to be “safe” you also abandon a technical-based approach to the position (unless, of course, your break even happens to coincide with a technically significant level).
Why would you abandon or alter your trade idea simply because it locks in a break even/slight profit?
The question to ask yourself is this: if I didn’t have a position, and price moved to my break even/marginal profit stop, would I consider that to be a key area/invalidation level?
If the answer is a resounding no (as it often is) then you have just demonstrated that getting out of the trade at that point is an arbitrary decision.

Instead, your stop loss should go where you’re decisively wrong on your trade idea. If you’re making an entry, you should be able to point and tell me “if price goes above/below X, then my reasons for entering the trade will have been disproved by the market and then I am almost certainly wrong on my idea”.

If you can’t do that, you probably shouldn’t be taking an entry.

Stick to your guns, believe in your original trading plan, and let the market prove to you that you’re wrong by hitting your original stop loss if it moves against you.
Unthinkingly moving to break even all the time is lazy trading and effectively abandoning your own technical analysis.

4. Setting your Stop at Pockets of Liquidity
There are certain price structures that are regularly raided for liquidity before the market reverses.
In order to gain an understanding of how order flow, liquidity, and all that fun stuff operates in markets, I humbly suggest watching my video on order flow.
The summary is this: avoid placing your stop loss directly above/below: key swing highs/lows and clean equal highs/lows, because there is a good chance the market will trade through them before reversing.
You can do this exercise yourself: open a price chart of the market(s) you trade and mark out the key swing points, range high/lows, and clean equal highs/lows.
In most cases you’ll see that price has a tendency to trade through those structures before moving in the opposite direction. Traders with stops above/below such structures get knocked out of their positions before the market continues in their expected direction without them.

How do you protect yourself from being hunted?

There’s no easy way to do it, which is part of the reason it’s so effective in every market.
This is especially true if you mostly use self-executing orders and you’re not at your screen watching price as it comes into those key areas.

The tip can be summarised thus: don’t place your stop in really obvious places.

Deep and obvious swing points, range boundaries, and equal wicks stand out like a sore thumb, and that is why they’re often targeted during runs on liquidity — because it is tempting to use them as a reference point when leaving orders in the market.
So, the least you can do for yourself is to leave some space between your stop and one of the aforementioned structures, to allow price to wick through the high/low without knocking you out alongside it.
Give it some breathing room (especially if your market spikes often) and certainly avoid, where possible, leaving your stop right on top/under an alluring wick.

5. Never Moving your Stop

As mentioned, the purpose of a stop is to protect your account if your trade idea is incorrect. However, once the market proves to you that your trade idea may be accurate as it moves in the expected direction, your stop can be used protectively to maintain a good R:R as price heads towards target.
Wait, Cred. Isn’t that a contradiction? You’ve just told me to trust my stop and that I’m an asshole if I move it, and now you’re telling me to move it?
Yes I am, and there’s no contradiction.
If you blindly move your stop to break even/marginal profit as soon as you can, that’s an arbitrary decision which isn’t based on technicals or the market proving anything to you.
If you move your stop as the market proves that it’s moving in the expected direction e.g. as it starts to break down, that’s a decision based on technicals and a way to maintain a good R:R as price heads towards your target.
The difference should be clear. The former is an emotional decision to feel “safe”. The latter is taking active measures based on technicals to maintain a good R:R as price moves towards target.
For example: it is common to start moving one’s stop after a thrust move/momentum candle in the expected direction in acknowledgement that buyers/sellers have stepped in at that area, and that price has no real reason to go back below/above it. This is quite different from moving to a break even/marginal profit stop as soon as price moves away from entry.

So let’s get to the substance.

By moving your stop I mean moving it stop up (if you’re long)/down (if you’re short) as price makes its way to your target.
The reason for doing so is relatively simple: the market has no obligation to hit your exact target for the trade, and by moving your stop you preclude a winning trade from turning into a break even or losing one.

Take the example above.

When entering the outlined trade, you have an R:R of 2:1 (or 2R). As price starts to break down, let’s assume you move your stop to break even/marginal profit to be “safe”. Price comes close to your target , but you don’t get filled and it starts reversing (blue circle). At that point (blue circle area), you can recalculate your R:R to see if it is at least reasonable.
As you can see in the example, if you do not move your stop at all, you risk giving back ~1.8R to the market for a reward of just 0.2R. In other words, if you do not move your stop at all, your R:R becomes disproportionately poor if price fails to reach target and comes back to take out your break even stop.
There is no such thing as a free trade — that’s simply money you’re giving back to the market.
Just like before, the market has no obligation to hit your target. Moving your stop is how you still make money even if your target selection is imperfect, as will often be the case.
Don’t be arrogant — it’s foolish to let a good trade turn into a break even just because you were waiting for your exact target. The market owes you nothing, and it doesn’t care where your exact target is.
Be dynamic with your stops as the trade progresses, maintain a reasonable R:R throughout the trade, and you can still make money without timing the exact point where the market turns.

I'm not the author of this article I confused some trend (use stop-loss)first you decided How much percent you profit and lose to make.
If you have a Better idea about uses stop-loss, then you can share.

Main article Source:  https://medium.com/@cryptocreddy/5-stop-loss-mistakes-to-avoid-bea274857371

Thanks the informations are very helpful , ive been trading since 2017 but i admit im the type to hold coins i do not sell coins when it pass down my buy zone and i never used Stop limit or even trail stop but just now , i just realized the big importance of this.
Traders should really keep on learning and never limit the chances of getting profit because of naive emotion. Use SL guys Wink

Freshmen

Activity: 334

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 07:22:49 AM

You made a good point at the start, and that’s what I always tell people most of the time in this forum. I don’t know why people would jump on a trade while they have no targets at all, how do you expect to gain something or be able to control your feelings during price fluctuations when you’re trading without having a target ? This is trade and there are big risks involved, everyone should know that. If you are trading, know what you can be able to lose and what is your target profit, then once you have reached target, you then have to decide whether you have to continue or just take a break.
arpon11

Activity: 882
Merit: 282

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 07:25:25 AM

This thread is very educative and I have read through the op posts and other comments made here and I hope newbies in trading will read comments on this thread too. Knowing how to place stop loss will enable you to cut losses before it gets too far and gets your entire account wipe out and also it helps you not to place stop loss that keeps closing your position before the real movement in the directions of your positions commence.  I have tried to be skillful in stop loss setting and it has  help me most time especially during the volatility and I am not with my system to take decisions on my open positions.
South Park

Activity: 2884
Merit: 794

I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 05:27:50 PM

I think any average and amateur trader should know about these stop losses. But I guess the more advanced ones are the ones most guilty of using those stoploss mistakes, the one moving it to break even or marginal profit though, I know scalpers who instead of taking their profits at the end of the day (like in their last hour of trading), if they see that they are JUST about to take profit, they decide, ok all open trades, let's move stoploss to even and move TP to something really high. Seems to pay off when they wake up next day.
They should know about this but they don't and they pay the price for it.

There are two ways to execute stop losses, the first and the most used is to set a stop loss in the exchange and let it to execute automatically, the second is when you do not set a stop loss in the exchange but you have previously determined your stop loss and in the case it is hit you sell your coins manually, while most of the time the first method is the best there will be instances as some posts above demonstrate in which your stop loss will not execute and you need to do it manually.

However I will say that the biggest mistake when it comes to stopping your losses is the inability to accept the fact that you made a mistake when you executed your trade and accept your losses, there are many stories in the forum of people that kept holding their coins even when the market was clearly saying to them they were in the wrong and they still refused to listen and they lost everything as a result of refusing to execute their stop loss.

██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
.SHUFFLE.COM..███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
...Next Generation Crypto Casino...
r1a2y3m4

Activity: 504
Merit: 127

Match365> be a part of 150BTC inviting bonus

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 05:31:42 PM

Nice method to stop loss. I'm really inspired on trading day by day. But whenver I am trading, I always end up losing all of my funds in trading. Also when I am gambling, I am most likely to lose all of my funds.

I'm searching for ways in order for me not to lose my funds but I end up losing it all. Will try these method.

davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
July 11, 2019, 06:17:17 AM

and stay away from bitmex if u want to use stop losses, they wont trigger becuse the system always gets overloaded so no orders trigger, just a warning guys happend to me 3 times that my stop losses did not trigger even if i had a range of 300 dollars and got liquidated.

You said it right. Stop loss is very significant in every trades but I experienced many times in bitmex that stop loss can't be triggered and just as I am confident and calm that my stop loss was triggered, I've got liquidated. Make sure your stop loss was hit before leaving your entry. Anyway, OP stated useful realizations about trading.

We always do some mistakes in trading, I admit it but those mistakes makes me an experienced trader. I learned from it. Now, with the help of some technical analysis I've been using I am sticking with my own TA not with the others.
I think stop loss is just for short term traders, especially day traders, because there is nothing to apply stop loss to when you are a long term trader, there is no loss unless you decide to sell off the holding, and this is why I prefer to just be an holder, I invest, and then hold till I see substantial profit that is satisfactory in my investment before pulling out my profit.

Stop loss is a very great tool to minimize risk involved in day trading, although we have some professional traders that feels they have advance beyond stop loss and could control their trade as they like without it having any effect on them if they don’t trigger any of these trade tools available to help minimize loss or take profit, anyway that is their headache, I am strictly into long term holding business in crypto.
Spaffin

Activity: 1316
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2019, 03:43:53 AM

I think that it is under the current conditions of the cryptocurrency market that it is very profitable to use a stop loss, because the market is unstable and it is very important to minimize the risks in day trading.  Of course, every trader who is accustomed to personally control his orders can avoid using stop-loss and the risks to which he is exposed, but nevertheless you need to spend it for a long time near the computer.

FXBOX    [TelegramTwitter ]  ▞  GAMEFI  ◼  NFT  ◼  DEFI  ◼  CURRENCY TRADING
██████████████████  PLAY 2 EARN FINANCIAL GAMES  ██████████████████
INVESTINGTRADINGLOTTERYMARKET PREDICTIONS     ◖ READ MORE
Kimonoe

Activity: 700
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2019, 07:17:07 AM

and stay away from bitmex if u want to use stop losses, they wont trigger becuse the system always gets overloaded so no orders trigger, just a warning guys happend to me 3 times that my stop losses did not trigger even if i had a range of 300 dollars and got liquidated.

You said it right. Stop loss is very significant in every trades but I experienced many times in bitmex that stop loss can't be triggered and just as I am confident and calm that my stop loss was triggered, I've got liquidated. Make sure your stop loss was hit before leaving your entry. Anyway, OP stated useful realizations about trading.

We always do some mistakes in trading, I admit it but those mistakes makes me an experienced trader. I learned from it. Now, with the help of some technical analysis I've been using I am sticking with my own TA not with the others.
I think stop loss is just for short term traders, especially day traders, because there is nothing to apply stop loss to when you are a long term trader, there is no loss unless you decide to sell off the holding, and this is why I prefer to just be an holder, I invest, and then hold till I see substantial profit that is satisfactory in my investment before pulling out my profit.

Stop loss is a very great tool to minimize risk involved in day trading, although we have some professional traders that feels they have advance beyond stop loss and could control their trade as they like without it having any effect on them if they don’t trigger any of these trade tools available to help minimize loss or take profit, anyway that is their headache, I am strictly into long term holding business in crypto.
I think long-term traders can also apply stop losses with a larger portion. in essence this tool is used to anticipate the risk of greater losses if the analysis is wrong. with large fluctuations in the market sometimes we cannot fully see the chart, so that with a stop loss it will help us

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: