Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:20:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] Cli-Wallet Installation on VPS [For Masternode Owners & Stakers]  (Read 287 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
CucakRowo (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 593

aka JAGEND.

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2019, 02:08:35 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2019, 03:49:03 PM by CucakRowo
Merited by Welsh (15), dbshck (8), tk808 (5), Quickseller (2), Halab (2), Husna QA (2), The Cryptovator (2), Heisenberg_Hunter (2), ABCbits (1), dkbit98 (1), hd49728 (1)

OBJECTIVE :

This thread is made with purpose :
  • Sharing knowledge about Masternode & Staking
  • Sharing knowledge about Cli-Wallet installation on VPS
  • Masternode owners and staker can find out how to install CLI-wallet on their VPS (Using Ubuntu 16.04).

EXPECTED BENEFITS :

• Readers can know the difference between Masternode & Staking activity.
  • Readers can setup Cli-Wallet in their own VPS (Using Ubuntu 16.04).
  • For Masternode owner. If you install QT wallet on PC, CLI-wallet (masternode wallet) on VPS. then the rewards you get from your nodes, you can send directly to your Cli-wallet. So you can run masternode while doing staking without requiring shared pool services (3rd party).

PREFACE :

Cli-Wallet (Common Line Interface Wallet) is one of types of wallet that always provided by project devs when launching their project (see an example below).

CLI-Wallet Monero (XMR)

CLI-Wallet Safe Insure (SINS)

These wallets are run based on an open source program. Needed when you want to run your masternode coins  or/and running staking activities. As a refresher for your memory (especially for those who already know about the meaning of masternode project) and also as a learning for those who just know about masternode project, perhaps you can read some of following threads and article :

1. Masternode & Staking

MARKEducation: MASTERNODES PART I

WHAT IS A MASTERNODE?
-snip-

Following quote is very sufficient to explain about masternode project. Please read it and please turn on/enable automatic translation in your browser.

Sebelum membahas apa itu masternode, alangkah baiknya agan-agan sudah mengetahui dan paham apa itu PoW dan PoS. Untuk Selengkapnya anda bisa mencari di forum ini, sudah banyak yang membahas perbedaannya.

Sederhananya adalah PoW(Proof of Work) itu kita menggunakan perangkat keras secara langsung sebagai hashpower seperti VGA dan CPU atau ASIC untuk menambang(mining) alias mendapatkan reward dalam bentuk coin, seperti bitcoin dan etherum. Sedangkan untuk PoS(Proof of Stake), kita menggunakan aset kita dalam bentuk saldo coin di wallet pribadi kita (dengan jumlah minimal yang telah ditentukan) agar kita mendapatkan reward dalam bentuk coin itu juga(staking). Sama seperti kita menaruh saham, jadi reward yang kita dapatkan bergantung dengan seberapa besar saham yang kita taruh. Selain itu PoS lebih ramah lingkungan karena menghemat konsumsi listrik. Contohnya adalah ignis dan reddcoin.
-SNIP-

2. Wallet Types

1. External Articles : Understanding Crypto Wallets
Internal Article (In Indonesian Local Board) :
Wallet Types (Please turn on your automatic translations)

From several articles that i mentioned above, we can draw conclusions as follows :
  • Cli-Wallet can be installed on vps.
  • Masternode owners need VPS to run their masternode coins.
  • Cli-wallet does'nt require high specification. Because user interface that appears is only a command
  • Clearer difference between GUI Wallet (Desktop wallet, QT Wallet) & CLI-Wallet, you can see in the below image.

Image 1. GUI Wallet

Image 2. CLI-Wallet

GUI Wallet (Image 1)
- GUI Wallet (Desktop wallet, QT Wallet) is the most used type of wallet. Due to the ease of installation.
- Installing a GUI wallet can be done on the device you have (PC/Laptop), and can also be done at VPS (with Windows OS/RDP).
CLI Wallet (Image 2)
- CLI Wallet is a type of wallet that is absolutely needed when you want to run node.
- Because it is open source, CLI Wallet has higher security system than GUI wallet. (Relatively safe against trojan activity).
- In same vps, you can do staking or running nodes that you have simultaneously. The benefits, you don't need to turn on your PC/Laptop 24/7 continuously. (Always use a trusted vps provider.)
- Command in cli-wallet is similar with the command that applied to GUI wallet. The difference only lies in UI. (User Interface).

Additional Information :
In order to connect to your VPS, there are already many terminal software. Beside Putty, Bitvise, SFTP which incidentally requires installation on your PC/Laptop, now there is terminal software in the form of apps. One of it is Termius. I have used this software for almost 1 year. Since 1 year ago, i didn't installed a wallet in my pc anymore, because i am already comfortable using CLI wallet. This factor is also a reason why i'm interested using Cli wallet. Because it makes me easy to monitor coins that i have at anytime and anywhere. Termius apps shape as follows :

TERMIUS APPS

CONCLUSION :

From several articles and information that i have mentioned above, i hope that you already know and understand about :
  • Meaning and the difference between Masternode & Staking.
With POS coins you are staking coins i.e. holding coins in a full node client wallet to accumulate enough stake to mine a block and earn a reward based on the POS annual percentage rate for that coin. Typically with POS you can hold any number of coins and still be eligible to stake. The more coins you have and the longer you have them staking, the quicker you will be able to earn enough stake to mine a block and earn a POS payment. Your client node doesen't need to be online to earn stake, but it must be online to be able to mine a block to earn a reward.

With masternodes you are hosting a full node client and holding a fixed number of coins as collateral in order to be eligble to perform network functions for the blockchain and are rewarded a fixed number of coins from the POW block for that service. Your masternode must be online in order to be able to qualify for a payment.
  • The difference between GUI Wallet & CLI wallet.
  • Benefit when install and using CLI Wallet for your investment.

INSTALLATION SESSION :

VPS specifications required :
  • VPS with OS Ubuntu 16.04, RAM 1GB, 25 GB SSD (For new projects. Under 1 years).
  • For old projects (above 1 years), Adjust vps specifications with the requested requirements. (Example :  Dash Masternode requirements)
  • Terminal Emulator (Putty, Bitvise, Termius and kind of it)
  • Paper, Pens and Patience

Installation Steps :

Because of limited space, i put installation step in next column.

Bibliography.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CucakRowo (OP)

aka JAGEND.

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2019, 02:09:39 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2019, 03:38:34 PM by CucakRowo

Installation Steps :

1. Login on to your VPS.

As i mentioned above. Please install your vps using the Ubuntu OS 16.04. (or use requested requirements).
VPS specifications required :
  • VPS with OS Ubuntu 16.04, RAM 1GB, 25 GB SSD (For new projects. Under 1 years).
  • For old projects (above 1 years), Adjust vps specifications with the requested requirements. (Example :  Dash Masternode requirements)
  • Terminal Emulator (Putty, Bitvise, Termius and kind of it)
  • Paper, Pens and Patience

2. Installing Pre-Requisite Package

Basically, the meaning of pre-requisite is setup environment conditions (in this case your vps), so all commands that we input can run properly. Usually masternode wallet project its source are from Bitcoin Core fork. So the pre-requisite package that we will install on our vps, is a pre-requisite from Bitcoin Core. Btw, Commands that i write below can be copied-pasted. For copy paste these commands to vps, you only needs :
  • Copy command using (CTRL + C)
  • Paste it on to your vps using Right Mouse Click then ENTER
  • Copy-paste it one by one, per commands.

Pre-requisite package that we need to install are as follows:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin -y 
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential libtool autotools-dev automake pkg-config libssl-dev libevent-dev bsdmainutils
sudo apt-get install -y libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-chrono-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-test-dev libboost-thread-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libdb4.8-dev libdb4.8++-dev
sudo apt-get install libminiupnpc-dev

3. Fail2ban Installation

Fail2Ban is a useful software to protect computer from attacks. You can read benefit of fail2ban installation in detail through this article : Use Fail2ban to Secure Your Server - Linode

Code:
sudo apt-get install fail2ban

4. Firewall Installation.

Firewall installation used as a protection against your server by blocking all attacks through unregistered IPs. Before you do copy-paste for these below command, please read Attention First!

Attention :
  • When you paste this command ufw enable -force on to your vps, and you have this outputs : “Error: Invalid Syntax”
  • What you need to do is just type ufw enable, then type y then Enter.
  • As you can see in this command ufw allow 12270/tcp. Number 12270 is P2P port number from FLITS project (Image below)
  • Every masternode project will have different P2P port. You can ask about P2P Port number to project team or seeing in their github or from their whitepaper. If project dev's using the newest version of explorer called Solus Explorer, usually P2P Port number already informed in explorer.
  • So, when you do paste on to your vps, Please don't forget to change 12270 with the P2P Port project number.
  • CLEAR? if yes, then you can copy this command.

Code:
ufw default any
ufw allow 22/tcp
ufw limit openSSH
ufw enable -force
ufw allow 12270/tcp

Let's do cross check if you input command with properly or not. Please type ufw status then Enter. If you do input command properly, result will be like this :

Please don't forget to change 12270 with the P2P Port project number.

5.Creating SWAP File

Swap File useful to help RAM performance when RAM conditions is in full work. Detailed informations about the advantages of creating SWAP File, you can read through this article SwapFaq. My recommendation when making a SWAP file on a vps with specifications RAM 1GB and 25GB SSD is 2GB . (My formula when making a swap file is : 2 x RAM capacity).

To know whether your VPS already has swap activity or not, just type free -h then Enter. if there is no swap information in output/result, then your vps has not swap yet. Command for creating swap file :

Code:
sudo fallocate -l 2G /swapfile
sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile

Do cross check by typing  free -h then Enter, output will be like this :

Please read Attention below.

Attention :
  • If you have these error putputs while typing sudo fallocate -l 2G /swapfile
  • What you need to do is just type sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=2024 count=2048576 then Enter.
  • continue with command sudo chmod 600 /swapfile and so on. Don't forget to always cross check the output.

6. DONE!
Now your VPS is ready to install the wallet from the coins you have. How?, You just have to download the cli-wallet link from project's Github account. One example how to install cli wallet for coin (let say) FLITS. You can read the steps through here. As ever, if you have questions or help how to install cli-wallet on your vps, don't hestitate to write your obstacle in next column. I will help you as soon as possible. Thank you!

Bibliography.

CucakRowo (OP)

aka JAGEND.

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2019, 05:53:19 PM

--As an update--

On August 2019, PVIX conducted a mandatory update as mentioned on their github. In this update there are a change in the command, so automatically wallet that built from PVIX fork will follow these changes. Changes are as follows:

Command

1. To get masternode private key =
2. To get masternode outputs =
3. To activated masternode =
Before Mandatory Update

masternode privkey
masternode outputs
startmasternode alias false mn1
After Mandatory Update

createmasternodekey
getmasternodeoutputs
startmasternode alias lockwallet mn1

I hope this thread update is useful for y'all.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: