Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:20:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-profit ICOs/IEOs  (Read 270 times)
Rockie1234 (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 02:34:54 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2019, 04:42:59 PM by Rockie1234

Let's say hypothetically I were to make a non-profit ICO tomorrow. The idea is good, the money will be spent well and the team is solid, with plans to fund the creation of products and funding of external organisations in an altruistic sense. Revenues would come from membership of the organisation and selling of a few products, with all money reinvested or saved.

Would you be prepared to invest in a project like this as opposed to one that makes profit/is a company? And what role could the project's cryptocurrency play in such a situation? Should such a group be a DAO?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: By non profit I mean a Foundation type organisation.
pishite

Activity: 966
Merit: 132

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 03:15:41 PM

Until I see the project information, the development team I can’t say for sure whether I will invest in your project. And even if you provide all this, like many others, I will study your project very well before investing, as there are now many frauds. And to be sure that my funds will not disappear without a trace in the crypto world there are no guarantees.
rosezionjohn

Activity: 882
Merit: 301

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 03:16:31 PM

I would not support such idea. Why would a non-profit organization need cryptocurrencies anyway? I mean if it's for decentralizing their system, then maybe it can be done with blockchain but I don't the point of having a coin or token.
Rockie1234 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 03:27:43 PM

Until I see the project information, the development team I can’t say for sure whether I will invest in your project. And even if you provide all this, like many others, I will study your project very well before investing, as there are now many frauds. And to be sure that my funds will not disappear without a trace in the crypto world there are no guarantees.

Let's assume it isn't just for the sake of this thought experiment. What would be your thoughts?
I would not support such idea. Why would a non-profit organization need cryptocurrencies anyway? I mean if it's for decentralizing their system, then maybe it can be done with blockchain but I don't the point of having a coin or token.
The point would be to allow governance of the organisation with a DAO setup, users can vote with their holdings. And many cryptocurrencies are non-profit run (this still means there are team members and employees of course).
rosezionjohn

Activity: 882
Merit: 301

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 03:35:56 PM

The point would be to allow governance of the organisation with a DAO setup, users can vote with their holdings.
Why does it have to be a non-profit organization then? We know very well that people who will invest in ICOs/IEOs are in it for the profit as well.

And many cryptocurrencies are non-profit run (this still means there are team members and employees of course).
What do you mean? Registered as non-profit organizations?
Rockie1234 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 03:52:55 PM

The point would be to allow governance of the organisation with a DAO setup, users can vote with their holdings.
Why does it have to be a non-profit organization then? We know very well that people who will invest in ICOs/IEOs are in it for the profit as well.

And many cryptocurrencies are non-profit run (this still means there are team members and employees of course).
What do you mean? Registered as non-profit organizations?

I can't explain why it would be non-profit without going into the details of the project. If you want to know more, I would be happy to discuss it with you privately. And I would encourage you to take a look at how a voting system in a DAO works (Bisq is a good example).
Many cryptocurrency projects don't have the aim of making profit, instead funds go into developing, coding and wages.
DDante

Activity: 434
Merit: 19

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:06:59 PM

We have too many fraud projects in crypto world lately,i can't advice you to just rely on the teams because they are real,you need more than that,do intense research on the project and make sure they aren't just after profits
krb91

Activity: 254
Merit: 10

Streamies Rocks!!!!

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:12:49 PM

Such a project, depending on its focus(what the project intends to achieve, develop, or what services it wants to render) has every likelihood to succeed since the resources(realised funds) will be focused on development, payments and other expenses relevant to the project. However, there are other important factors that I need to  consider before investing in any project. First is the projects goals, team(experience/legitimacy), its startup capital if any, investors(venture capitals), difference in prices across the various stages of the IEO/ICO exercise, partnerships etc. We can't always get it all but these tend to keep me safe.

I'd like to know more about your ' hypothetical' project though. Maybe we could make it real Wink

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
Rockie1234 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:17:52 PM

We have too many fraud projects in crypto world lately,i can't advice you to just rely on the teams because they are real,you need more than that,do intense research on the project and make sure they aren't just after profits

Don't worry, working on it!
Such a project, depending on its focus(what the project intends to achieve, develop, or what services it wants to render) has every likelihood to succeed since the resources(realised funds) will be focused on development, payments and other expenses relevant to the project. However, there are other important factors that I need to  consider before investing in any project. First is the projects goals, team(experience/legitimacy), its startup capital if any, investors(venture capitals), difference in prices across the various stages of the IEO/ICO exercise, partnerships etc. We can't always get it all but these tend to keep me safe.

I'd like to know more about your ' hypothetical' project though. Maybe we could make it real Wink

Sent you a PM. Venture capital is one of those things that would always help.

Ifychuks
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:20:22 PM

Investors only want were they can put their funds and see profit. Non-profit organisation is good and I know there are still selfless investors out there who would love to invest. But the whole point in cryptocurrency is profit for investment, so I think it will be difficulty getting investors for a non-profit company.
Rockie1234 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:25:07 PM

Investors only want were they can put their funds and see profit. Non-profit organisation is good and I know there are still selfless investors out there who would love to invest. But the whole point in cryptocurrency is profit for investment, so I think it will be difficulty getting investors for a non-profit company.

I agree with you to a certain extent. But let's assume the price of the coin reflects the success of the project, so if the project is successful investors make profit. Is this appealing enough, or does there need to be some other function/use case of the currency?
Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:33:49 PM

Personally, I will only invest in any project if only the project addresses a significant problem or gaps  in either the crypto space or the entire ecosystem of the world.  In as much the project is a non-profit agenda if it doesn't play a specific role in the crypto ecosystem, it is not worth investing into it..
alexforneus

Activity: 134
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:38:46 PM

Let's say hypothetically I were to make a non-profit ICO tomorrow. The idea is good, the money will be spent well and the team is solid, with plans to fund the creation of products and funding of external organisations in an altruistic sense. Revenues would come from membership of the organisation and selling of a few products, with all money reinvested or saved.

Would you be prepared to invest in a project like this as opposed to one that makes profit/is a company? And what role could the project's cryptocurrency play in such a situation? Should such a group be a DAO?

Better invest in charitable foundation than in non profit iCO i guess
Rockie1234 (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:42:18 PM

Better invest in charitable foundation than in non profit iCO i guess

That is what I mean, wages paid, non-profit was probably the wrong wording.
Eadefemi

Activity: 276
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:50:22 PM

Hypothetically, it will be a huge task trying to get investors for a non-profit company in this cryptocurrency space. Who wants to just invest and not cash out profit in this time. Non-profit is good but not for cryptocurrency investments.
digitalblock

Activity: 840
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2019, 05:15:11 PM

You have to understand that now the community is not ready to see a quality product. The community believes in speculation. Today it is very difficult to introduce another idea into people
wywoc

Activity: 335
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2019, 05:38:35 PM

There are two types of short-term investors and long-term investors. If you are the first type, then the profit after ICO/IEO is very important, so for projects that don't make a quick profit, they may not invest. As for the second type, they believe in the potential of the project and will invest.
I am a person who does not have a lot of capital, so need to turn over capital  quickly to reinvest, so may not be interested in such projects.
lvsca

Activity: 1792
Merit: 293

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2019, 04:50:51 AM

long time ago in bitcointalk forum, there are 'crowdfunding'. you can't call it 'ICO/IEO' etc, it should be crowdfunding. why? cause the organisation didn't give profit, and non-profit organisation didn't have any investor, only donator that spent their money.
but, under non-profit organisation, possible to build a company or something like that, with that you can do 'ICO/IEO'.

back to crypto, what you will do with your 'currencies'? what you want to do with blockchain in your organisation? can you explain about usecase of the blockchain in organisation?

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
JOIN NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 10, 2019, 07:05:29 AM

I'm glad you said your idea was hypothetical as it would never make its way to the real world. Investors put their money on projects with expectations of earning profits over a period of time and here you are, telling them that you're running a non profit company which would never attract the investors in the first place.

Then again, depending on what model of distribution of funds you use, it is almost impossible to declare your ICO as non-profit as a sum of tokens would be allocated for the team and/or for market stabilization which quickly becomes controversial if your project is truly a non-profit one or not.
Rockie1234 (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2019, 08:59:04 AM

long time ago in bitcointalk forum, there are 'crowdfunding'. you can't call it 'ICO/IEO' etc, it should be crowdfunding. why? cause the organisation didn't give profit, and non-profit organisation didn't have any investor, only donator that spent their money.
but, under non-profit organisation, possible to build a company or something like that, with that you can do 'ICO/IEO'.

back to crypto, what you will do with your 'currencies'? what you want to do with blockchain in your organisation? can you explain about usecase of the blockchain in organisation?

The currency will be a way for investors to make money, since it represents the value of the project.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: