Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:34:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to REsync blockchain info to Bitcoin QT aagin?  (Read 3665 times)
mattboldfield (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:38:47 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2014, 01:41:02 PM by mattboldfield

Hi I have a problem with my wallet.

I took some advise on storing your wallet.dat file off your pc and something has gone wrong.
Basically you cut your wallet.dat file and store it off your pc and restart bitcoin qt that gives you a new wallet.
You keep that new wallet synced with bitcoin, with the zero amount and swap back in your "real account if you wish to purchase ect.

Well Im missing two payments, but they show up on the blockchain so I know they were sent, but my original wallet is not showing these payment when swapped??

So, how do I reupload the blockchain info to my "spend wallet and get those payments synced properly?
Is the only way to do it by keeping my spend wallet and reinstalling bitcoin qt all over again, and replacing my "spend wallet" back into the new program?

thx
FalconFly

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Sentinel

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:44:31 AM

AFAIK, with the "full" wallet in the Bitcoin-QT client, launch it with the -rescan option.

That should make it rescan the balance over entire blockchain for the wallet it presently has, just takes about a minute.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
mattboldfield (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:56:38 AM

Hi, Im not sure how you do the -rescan option, could you please explain?
I put -rescan in the debug window and hit enter but it did nothing.

thx
FalconFly

Sentinel

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 11:08:21 AM

There are two easy ways :

Command Prompt
Goto Start -> Execute -> cmd (this opens the windows console, pretty much like MS-DOS)
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin (brings you into the default bitcoin-qt directory)
bitcoin-qt -rescan launches it with the rescan option

Desktop Shortcut
...just edit its properties to include the -rescan option
(make a copy of the original BitCoin-QT launch shortcut, edit & rename it and keep that Rescan-Option shortcut besides your normal one for easy re-use anytime you need it)

mattboldfield (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 01:37:01 PM

Ok I tried both ways and neither worked, the missing transactions did not show up???
I don't know if this is a major bug or I have a bad copy??
I have now deleted the %appdata% bitcoin folder, reinstalled bitcoin, ran once for 10 seconds, then replaced with my "spend" wallet.data
It is still slowly syncing....but I believe it will find them this time with a full resync.

Any idea why your methods didn't work?
thx
FalconFly

Sentinel

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:21:37 PM

Don't know... If there's something wrong with the imported wallet or the stored blockchain, Bitcoin-QT usually puts out an error message and i.e. creates a new, clean wallet instead.

Another method would be to simply import the other wallet off the blockchain using the private key of the original wallet (in console of Bitcoin-QT, use the importprivkey command).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: