Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:01:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Projected Minimum Cost per BTC over the next year  (Read 18793 times)
samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 06:07:53 AM

So next September it will be 381 times harder to mine for BTC.   Unless the price rises to $181,000 to make it equal to mining today.  Something has to give.

why it will be harder to mine for BTC? you mean the price will be down and few people mine?

The difficulty level to mine seems to gets harder every 13 days

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikerbiker6

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:15:36 AM

I changed my mind, a growing competition doesn't necessarily force miners to sell their coins higher.
A growing competition will push out less efficient miners, so the miners are left with higher efficiency that can sell their coins even lower.
there is no lower boundry, more and more people will fold so the remaining miners will make more bitcoin and can afford to sell low.(since they made more coins than before).
So a higher difficulty or higher competition will not always lead to a higher BTC value.

Participate and Earn on the Letstalkbitcoin forum letstalkbitcoin.com
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2014, 07:14:24 PM by molecular

I changed my mind, a growing competition doesn't necessarily force miners to sell their coins higher.
A growing competition will push out less efficient miners, so the miners are left with higher efficiency that can sell their coins even lower.
there is no lower boundry, more and more people will fold so the remaining miners will make more bitcoin and can afford to sell low.(since they made more coins than before).
So a higher difficulty or higher competition will not always lead to a higher BTC value.

correct. The hashrate (cost to mine) will adapt to price, not the other way around.

Bitcoin mining is a weird beast.

• With gold mining, if price falls below production cost, inefficient gold mines will close down. Produce supply decreases, which has a positive effect on price.
  • With bitcoin mining, if price falls below production cost, inefficient bitcoin mines will close down AND the remaining mines will automatically become more efficient. Produced supply remains essentially constant and effective supply brought to the market can even increase (if miners have to sell a higher percentage of production), having potentially negative effect on price.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mikerbiker6

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:05:26 PM

well said molecular

Participate and Earn on the Letstalkbitcoin forum letstalkbitcoin.com
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:54:53 PM

Looks like the current difficult bump a few hours from now is about to be about 15.7%.

Edit: Can we update the table based on this data? It would be cool to have this on a website where the data is brought up to date in live time. Smiley
Something like bitcoinclock.com but better.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
Opnsrc

Activity: 1064
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:12:05 PM

Love this thread. Going to keep a close eye on it.
BurtW (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 10:24:57 PM

Looks like the current difficult bump a few hours from now is about to be about 15.7%.

Edit: Can we update the table based on this data? It would be cool to have this on a website where the data is brought up to date in live time. Smiley
Something like bitcoinclock.com but better.
I will update this again some time in October.  It really does not change that much on a month to month basis since I am looking back one year and forward one year.

A real time version of this, updated after each difficulty adjustment would be totally cool.  Someone could do that.  If anyone wants/needs my Excel spreadsheet as a basis for the web site just give me a PM and I will send it to you.

If this was done on a web site I could stop doing it manually and that would be totally fine with me.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
AnonymousEconomist

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Add me on Twitter! @AnonOnAMoose

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:54:27 PM

This thread is excellent so far!

It would be great to have more data. Like a chart with the price of bitcoin overlayed on top of price to mine bitcoin, but over the course of the history of bitcoin. If that is possible...?

mvalley

Activity: 129

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:02:17 AM

Based on the hashrate increase and how consumers are still buying over priced miners, I now think that overall mining will go negative ROI for a while until people realize that they are losing money. Home miners don't think like business miners and may not realize they are losing $ in small bits here and there.

So while the max hashrate/BTC calculations have value, I don't think many individuals will actually shut down if they already have the equipment.

Gonna be a rough ride for a while.

LATOKEN  ●  TRADE REAL ASSETS IN CRYPTO  ●  JOIN ICO NOW
SLACK  |  TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
AnonymousEconomist

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:26:13 AM

Based on the hashrate increase and how consumers are still buying over priced miners, I now think that overall mining will go negative ROI for a while until people realize that they are losing money. Home miners don't think like business miners and may not realize they are losing $ in small bits here and there.

So while the max hashrate/BTC calculations have value, I don't think many individuals will actually shut down if they already have the equipment.

I agree with this. I also believe the typical home miner is more likely to hold onto his/her bitcoin.

But I couldn't imagine the big mining farms selling at a loss. They are at the top of the bitcoin food chain.

keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:33:22 AM

I agree with this. I also believe the typical home miner is more likely to hold onto his/her bitcoin.

But I couldn't imagine the big mining farms selling at a loss. They are at the top of the bitcoin food chain.
Yes, but I imagine that now home miners are a small percentage of the overall mining market. Does anyone have a guess at how sizable they are now?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
AnonymousEconomist

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:13:33 AM

Yes, but I imagine that now home miners are a small percentage of the overall mining market. Does anyone have a guess at how sizable they are now?

I would guess around 20%.

But that IS just a guess. With no scientific backing whatsoever.

wilth1

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 06:15:03 PM

Does $100,000 USD seem reasonable for manufacturers' 1 PH/s infrastructure costs at present? Any data that indicates how this is declining over time?
samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 08:05:29 PM

1000TH for 100k

$100/TH is hard to do

If they can do it then they are making a killing at sales:

KNC Neptune 3 = $2000 TH

Bitmain s4 = $750 TH

eoakland

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 08:41:53 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2014, 09:40:20 PM by eoakland

hopefully it becomes very unprofitable--that way the corp farms stop mining the shit out everything

Code:
               ▄▄███████▄▄
            ▄███████████████▄
           ███████████████████
          █████████████████████▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄▄████████████████████████████▄
   ▄█████ ▐▌ ██████████████████████████▄
 ▄█████       ▀█         █          ████▄
▐███████  ███  ▐█  ██▀█▄▄█▄▄██  ██▄▄█████
████████       ██     ████████  █████████
████████  ███  ▐█  ██▄█▀▀█████  ████████▀
 ██████       ▄█         ███      █████▀
  ▀██████ ▐▌ ████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀
       ▄▄▀▀▀██████▄
    ▄██████▀▀███████▀▀▄
  ▄██████▀▄███████████▄▀▄
 ▄█ ███████████████ ████▄▄
▄██████████████████▌▐█████▄
███████████████████████████
▀▄████████▄▄▄▀▀▀████████▀▄
██████████████████████████
▀████ ████████████████████▀
 ▀████ █████████▀▄████ ██▀
  ▀████▄▀█████▀▀▄█████▌▐▀
▄███▀▄██████▄▄████▀▀▄▄▀███▄
▀██████
▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████▀
   ▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀
         ▄▄▀▀██▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▀▀██▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▄▀▄██████████
▄▀▀█▄▀█▄█▀███████████
▄▀████████▐▌██████
 █▀▄██████████▄████▄████
  ▀▄█████████████████████
   ▀▄█████████▀██████▀███
     ██████████▄██▄█████
      █████████████████████
       ▀▄████████████████
        ▀▄████████████████
          ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 08:43:26 PM

hopefully it become very unprofitable--that way the corp farms stop mining the shit out everything

Industrial mining isn't going to go away, and home mining is likely on its way out, just as happened with CPU mining and GPU mining. Just the free market in action. You can't just make free money forever.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
eoakland

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:41:38 PM

hopefully it become very unprofitable--that way the corp farms stop mining the shit out everything

Industrial mining isn't going to go away, and home mining is likely on its way out, just as happened with CPU mining and GPU mining. Just the free market in action. You can't just make free money forever.

you never know.  if bitcoin falls enough--it will get to a point where these companies with big farms will have to turn off the power. 

Code:
               ▄▄███████▄▄
            ▄███████████████▄
           ███████████████████
          █████████████████████▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄▄████████████████████████████▄
   ▄█████ ▐▌ ██████████████████████████▄
 ▄█████       ▀█         █          ████▄
▐███████  ███  ▐█  ██▀█▄▄█▄▄██  ██▄▄█████
████████       ██     ████████  █████████
████████  ███  ▐█  ██▄█▀▀█████  ████████▀
 ██████       ▄█         ███      █████▀
  ▀██████ ▐▌ ████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀
       ▄▄▀▀▀██████▄
    ▄██████▀▀███████▀▀▄
  ▄██████▀▄███████████▄▀▄
 ▄█ ███████████████ ████▄▄
▄██████████████████▌▐█████▄
███████████████████████████
▀▄████████▄▄▄▀▀▀████████▀▄
██████████████████████████
▀████ ████████████████████▀
 ▀████ █████████▀▄████ ██▀
  ▀████▄▀█████▀▀▄█████▌▐▀
▄███▀▄██████▄▄████▀▀▄▄▀███▄
▀██████
▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████▀
   ▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀
         ▄▄▀▀██▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▀▀██▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▄▀▄██████████
▄▀▀█▄▀█▄█▀███████████
▄▀████████▐▌██████
 █▀▄██████████▄████▄████
  ▀▄█████████████████████
   ▀▄█████████▀██████▀███
     ██████████▄██▄█████
      █████████████████████
       ▀▄████████████████
        ▀▄████████████████
          ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:02:02 PM

you never know.  if bitcoin falls enough--it will get to a point where these companies with big farms will have to turn off the power. 

Some of their power and the same goes for home miners. If they still have an edge on energy prices I don't see how home miners could hope to regain much "market share". I imagine there are some limited advantages that home miners have such as "free" space to store the mining hardware rather than a data center which costs money to run / rent, but only in small amounts.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:39:36 PM

I would guess around 20%.

But that IS just a guess. With no scientific backing whatsoever.

It should be pretty easy to deduce by looking at Organofcorti's hashrate chart.
http://organofcorti.blogspot.com

You would have to make some assumptions about how much of DiscusFish and GHash.io's hashrate is from their private farms though. And the other public pools would be mostly home miners since every large-scale mining operation should logically be solo mining. There are some pretty big players on some of the public pools though but they aren't in the same league as Bitfury, KNC, Bitmain and other ASIC manufacturers.

So who's good at math?  Cheesy
wilth1

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 04:10:16 AM

1000TH for 100k

$100/TH is hard to do

If they can do it then they are making a killing at sales:

KNC Neptune 3 = $2000 TH

Bitmain s4 = $750 TH

trying to estimate infrastructure reinvestment cost:

hashrate increase * production cost per PH

You could then deduct any retail sales from this amount relative to the total increase as a percentage.

AM is now selling 1TH/s for as low as about 290 usd.  with retail markup (roughly 100%) removed and all resulting profits considered, $100/TH seems fairly accurate
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: