Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:30:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S2 Setup [HD]  (Read 63117 times)
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3995

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:31:22 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2014, 03:43:15 AM by Biodom

I don't usually SSH in so can't help you there. The first part of the message is common but I've never seen it become a problem.

Your slot problem is hardware though, and doesn't sound like power. You'd get a few chips working/dead rather than all blank.

What could be there in hardware if I replaced the power board? BTW, you are right as far as changing power supply-it did not fix anything.
This is a mystery. Could it be that they loaded corrupt firmware file or bitmain software file? I already replaced or checked every single hardware piece I could think of, apart from beaglebone.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:33:31 AM

its easy to fix
just remove the known_hosts file (I do this all the time on my mac)

bring up terminal

cd .ssh
rm known*

(and try ssh connection again)

just a * after known? Will I be able to connect to my other ants if this directory is removed? hopefully, it will be restored anew on a new connection. right?
thanks for help, much appreciated.
rileyminer

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:56:08 AM

you could enter: rm known_hosts (its just faster)

its a file (not a folder)

and yea it will just prompt you about the key fingerprint (to save it etc) for all other ssh hosts (as you reconnect to them one at a time)

bi0h4z4rd

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

I got today my first S2, and i had some issues, so i will share my experience here in case it helps someone.

So, i connected the miner, it started good, then i turned off the PSU on the back and it would not start again. It looked like i killed the PSU somehow.

Solution: Turned off the PSU, removed the jumper on the mainboard connector (P_ON), turned on the PSU on the back, then put back the jumper, and the PSU started again. Didn't have the issue again.

Second thing, i started the miner, and then the ASIC status was like sh*t, and i was just getting 500GH/sec. It looked like the miner was half-dead.

-Solution: Took out all the cards, cleaned the contacts with toilet paper (ouuu yeahhh), and plugged and unplugged them several times to clean the slots, and then put everything back together. 100% of the asics are OK, and S2 is mining at >1TH

So, just that, hope it is useful for someone!

BR

Just as an addition, the PSU thing seems to be what happens when the PSU goes into thermal shutdown. After that, the only way to power it up again is the one mentioned above. It just happened to me (yeah, i was such a genius to put the PSU side sticked to the wall) and it worked out exactly the same way.

BR
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:49:18 PM

I don't usually SSH in so can't help you there. The first part of the message is common but I've never seen it become a problem.

Your slot problem is hardware though, and doesn't sound like power. You'd get a few chips working/dead rather than all blank.

What could be there in hardware if I replaced the power board? BTW, you are right as far as changing power supply-it did not fix anything.
This is a mystery. Could it be that they loaded corrupt firmware file or bitmain software file? I already replaced or checked every single hardware piece I could think of, apart from beaglebone.

well , now I replaced the firmware and the problem stays:

no single board/blade works in slot#1 and it is not a poweboard problem because I replaced it with the new poweboard from bitmain.
I think that this is a possible intermittent board design flaw because they obviously modified the design by adding 4 "hanging" resistors.
I assume that as a result, on my particular machine, first nine boards consume too much power for the 10th board to hash.
I understand that this is somewhat rare problem. Bitmain is offering to replace the board, but any board is happily hashing at any other place, so I am "stuck" with partially functional machine after spending a few hours trying to fix the situation  Sad
I will RMA the current board at slot#1, maybe they will send a board that is designed better (new design)
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 11:09:42 PM

I installed my first S2 yesterday using only Dogie's thread for guidance and the unit was hashing at full speed within minutes of arrival. Thanks, Dogie!

Some odds and ends of possible interest -

The power cord that came with mine will not fit normal Canadian (American) 120v. wall outlets. I used an old 'puter power cord instead, of the kind we all probably have lying around. It and the one provided are each rated at 10 amps. My kill-a-watt says the S2 is drawing 8.85 amps at the wall and the cord is slightly warm to the touch. To be extra cautious I've ordered a 14AWG replacement from Newegg, rated at 15 amps which is overkill but what the heck.

The Canadian government has been helping itself to $30 (through the UPS courier) for each of my S1 deliveries, but for the S2 it grabbed $300 - something to factor into your ROI calculations (heh) if you don't already, regardless of what jurisdiction you are in.

The S2 is noisy enough that my wife has put her foot down about where it can go in the house. She didn't fuss much about the once-loud-but-now-dead BFL LS or about S1s. I don't think I'll risk the noise of an SP10 now though. Because of the noise issue I moved the S2 from its planned ethernet-wired site to another room without ethernet cable. I used a little Netgear WiFi adapter that I had available (WNCE2001) and so far it works flawlessly. I'll probably change it to something more substantial Real Soon Now.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 12:58:52 AM

I installed my first S2 yesterday using only Dogie's thread for guidance and the unit was hashing at full speed within minutes of arrival. Thanks, Dogie!

Some odds and ends of possible interest -

The power cord that came with mine will not fit normal Canadian (American) 120v. wall outlets. I used an old 'puter power cord instead, of the kind we all probably have lying around. It and the one provided are each rated at 10 amps. My kill-a-watt says the S2 is drawing 8.85 amps at the wall and the cord is slightly warm to the touch. To be extra cautious I've ordered a 14AWG replacement from Newegg, rated at 15 amps which is overkill but what the heck.

The Canadian government has been helping itself to $30 (through the UPS courier) for each of my S1 deliveries, but for the S2 it grabbed $300 - something to factor into your ROI calculations (heh) if you don't already, regardless of what jurisdiction you are in.

The S2 is noisy enough that my wife has put her foot down about where it can go in the house. She didn't fuss much about the once-loud-but-now-dead BFL LS or about S1s. I don't think I'll risk the noise of an SP10 now though. Because of the noise issue I moved the S2 from its planned ethernet-wired site to another room without ethernet cable. I used a little Netgear WiFi adapter that I had available (WNCE2001) and so far it works flawlessly. I'll probably change it to something more substantial Real Soon Now.

In noise terms, an SP10 is about 15x the pressure so yeah, if you want to remain testicle'd then I'd say stick with what you have.

freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 07:17:51 AM

^^^ I must say that's the only problem I can find with bitcoin... it's just a little noisy Cheesy

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
SilentH

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:28:31 PM

has anyone managed to resolve the issue of not being able to change the default password from the interface yet?
TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:50:54 PM

has anyone managed to resolve the issue of not being able to change the default password from the interface yet?

I'm not positive it's resolvable in this iteration of firmware.  Are you wanting to put your hardware on a DMZ?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 02:20:36 PM

I'm not positive it's resolvable in this iteration of firmware.  Are you wanting to put your hardware on a DMZ?

This. This firmware is barebones super cut back, and it does do the job (mining). There are things that could improve, but the fact they've not been fixed probably suggests something else is drawing their attention.

montyfd

Activity: 60

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 11:41:40 AM

One of my cooling fans shows 0 r/min,
although all 4 seem to be working anyway, also no temp problems.
Can it be a software issue?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 02:14:53 PM

One of my cooling fans shows 0 r/min,
although all 4 seem to be working anyway, also no temp problems.
Can it be a software issue?

See if a restart fixes it. If not, try swapping two fan 3 pin headers and see if the 0 rpm moves. If it doesn't its the header on the board, if it does its the fan.

Either way, doesn't mean anything.

bitdigger2013

Activity: 397
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 10:27:30 PM

Averaging 960GHS on an new S2 after 1D8H uptime...about normal?

I noticed my average is lower on p2pool then on ghash.io ( I was averaging 1003GHS)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 11:18:28 PM

I noticed my average is lower on p2pool then on ghash.io ( I was averaging 1003GHS)
P2P will always be lower

bitdigger2013

Activity: 397
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

P2P will always be lower

Thanks for the info.
MichaelAlbayati

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:54:23 AM

Hi every body,
I need help please,

I have 0 Accepted status, what do I do, I tried to reset, reboot, and nothing. Please help

http://bmwled.com/images/1
MichaelAlbayati

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:44:42 AM

OK...FML

I have S2 installed and running like a charm.
Plug in, power up. It mines right off the bat to the default pool. No problem.

Change pool, port, UNPW etc to my stuff...

Stops mining. Nada... wont mine... ziltch. HMMM...

So I do reset. And it starts mining to default again.

So, I just change the info in the conf window in the failover pool, not the main pool.

Stops mining.

FML.... If I alter the configuration window in any way... it stops mining....

Damn.

Any ideas?

Please help
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 11:39:25 AM

OK...FML

I have S2 installed and running like a charm.
Plug in, power up. It mines right off the bat to the default pool. No problem.

Change pool, port, UNPW etc to my stuff...

Stops mining. Nada... wont mine... ziltch. HMMM...

So I do reset. And it starts mining to default again.

So, I just change the info in the conf window in the failover pool, not the main pool.

Stops mining.

FML.... If I alter the configuration window in any way... it stops mining....

Damn.

Any ideas?

Please help
Screenshot of your config page after you've tried to edit something please. Also your image link is dead.

MoneyMuscles

Activity: 94

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 12:20:26 PM

Hi, I just bought an s2 yesterday and was wondering if this was normal:

-919 gh/s at the pool (btcguild) 1000 gh/s at the unit
- 5.6% reject rate (difficulty 128)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: