Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:46:59 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S2 Setup [HD]  (Read 63117 times)
TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:13:51 PM

Bitmain has release a new firmware which has fixed the bug with saving no data to the sd card.

https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720140413044945482bs4xshkh072D

This dropped today, you've got a sharp eye!  Thanks for pointing this out!
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:00:36 AM

Can someone point me to a guide on how to install this on a fresh SD card?

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
DotSauce

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 03:48:51 AM

Can someone point me to a guide on how to install this on a fresh SD card?

Just followed these steps myself recently: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=592347.msg7306025#msg7306025
DotSauce

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 03:52:01 AM

Bitmain has release a new firmware which has fixed the bug with saving no data to the sd card.

Has anyone tried updating this firmware? I just want to be sure it's working. I haven't heard anyone say anything about it fixing the problem.

Does your S2 reboot after flashing new firmware?
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:21:48 AM

Has anyone tried updating this firmware? I just want to be sure it's working. I haven't heard anyone say anything about it fixing the problem.

Hmm I am trying to do this, and when I plug the SD card into the reader and go to my computer and click on it, it says that it needs to format the disk before you can use it.  So I hit ok, then it lists some options and I just use the default and hit format and it tells me that Windows is unable to complete the format, any suggestions?

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Truman
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:23:47 AM

I have updated all my 15 S2 with that Firmware but it seems that it does not help fixing the problem at all machines! )=

▄██    ▐███████▄▄▄       ▄▄█████▄▄      ▄██▄      ▐██▄    ▒▓▓▄      ▄▓▓▒
     ███    ▐██▌▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ████▄     ▐██▌  ▐▓▄ ▀▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███   ███▌      ███▌   ██████    ▐██▌   ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐██▌    ▄████  ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███ ███▄  ▐██▌     ▀▓▓▄ ▀▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐█████████▀▀   ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███  ▀███ ▐██▌      ▓▓▓    ▓▓▓
     ███    ▐██▌   ▀███     ███▌      ███▌   ███    ██████▌   ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▄
     ███    ▐██▌     ███    ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████    ███     ▀████▌  ▐▓▀ ▄▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███     ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ███▌    ▄▓▓▀      ▀▓▓▄
                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
           ▄▓▓▓█▀▀            ▀▀█▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
Bonio

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:17:28 PM

I posted earlier and said my miner seemed to be slowing down but everything looked normal, well it did until I changed pools on it then the number 1 chain seemed to have errors mostly a line of dashes with 3 or four 0's on the end. This morning when I looked there are now a couple of x's in there too.

Any ideas? The card with the errors is running cooler so I guess that's the one that isn't working.

Try reseating it, and or swapping a card in that slot.

I did that and all is well again thanks for your help guys.

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3996

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:28:04 PM

Hmm I am trying to do this, and when I plug the SD card into the reader and go to my computer and click on it, it says that it needs to format the disk before you can use it.  So I hit ok, then it lists some options and I just use the default and hit format and it tells me that Windows is unable to complete the format, any suggestions?

Can you post the Bitmain US warranty center info, please.
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:18:52 PM

Just got an S2 today.  For some reason I can't get the miner to keep my pool settings after shutdown.
I update the pools and change the IP address no problem.  It runs on my pools and I can access it on the new IP address. But then if I do a reset or just shut it down and restart it all the changes are gone.  It's back to the factory settings.
I can't find anything in the manual that I'm doing wrong or not doing.  Any suggestions?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 07:57:55 PM

Just got an S2 today.  For some reason I can't get the miner to keep my pool settings after shutdown.
I update the pools and change the IP address no problem.  It runs on my pools and I can access it on the new IP address. But then if I do a reset or just shut it down and restart it all the changes are gone.  It's back to the factory settings.
I can't find anything in the manual that I'm doing wrong or not doing.  Any suggestions?
Replace the SD card and it will fix it. Just need a $5 4GB one from amazon

Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:28:15 PM

Yeah - trying to avoid that.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:41:29 PM

no need for the new SD card. See my post on the main thread. i had exactly the same condition. Solution: download the latest (6/19) tar file from Bitmain support on your laptop. While connected to the miner from the laptop, go to upgrade, search for the file, then flash. the "wheel" will be turning. wait...they say a minute, I waited five just in case because the 'wheel" never stops turning, disconnect the ethernet cable from the laptop back to router. power cycle the miner-and you are good to go to set up the new ip address, settings, etc.
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:49:56 PM

my latest S2 died lastnight, was only running for 12 hours since it was delivered at my house yesterday.

i was checking my pool stats in the middle of the night while feeding the baby and noticed the new s2 not hashing so i went out to the garage and the power supply fan is spinning, but the s2 is dead, no lights at all

so i turn it off and on to no avail, then unplug it and move it to a different outlet and plug it back in and there was a loud POP and a spark flew out of the power supply.  upon closer inspection one of the capacitors blew and is leaking white stuff

had a spare 1000w rosewill psu i swapped it with and started up the S2 and wouldn't turn on agn, so i started removing hash boards and moving them around and came to the conclusion one of the hash boards is totally dead.  when this particular board is plugged in the unit wont turn on, doesnt matter if theres 6, 7, 10 boards plugged in.  without the dead board the S2 starts like a champ

the unit is now running fine with 9 boards and my spare PSU

contacted bitmain for RMA help and so far theyve asked me some troubleshooting questions, but at this point its pretty obvious what the issue is lol.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 04:51:13 PM

no need for the new SD card. See my post on the main thread. i had exactly the same condition. Solution: download the latest (6/19) tar file from Bitmain support on your laptop. While connected to the miner from the laptop, go to upgrade, search for the file, then flash. the "wheel" will be turning. wait...they say a minute, I waited five just in case because the 'wheel" never stops turning, disconnect the ethernet cable from the laptop back to router. power cycle the miner-and you are good to go to set up the new ip address, settings, etc.

Its a symptom of something larger though, he can flash to his hearts content but theres no point when there's a $5 fix.

Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:55:45 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2014, 05:09:32 PM by Biodom

Just got an S2 today.  For some reason I can't get the miner to keep my pool settings after shutdown.
I update the pools and change the IP address no problem.  It runs on my pools and I can access it on the new IP address. But then if I do a reset or just shut it down and restart it all the changes are gone.  It's back to the factory settings.
I can't find anything in the manual that I'm doing wrong or not doing.  Any suggestions?

Its a symptom of something larger though, he can flash to his hearts content but theres no point when there's a $5 fix.

most likely-not because they specifically acknowledged exactly this problem in their recent software update
fix bug: miner configuration can't saved in the SD card occasionally.
specialed101

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 06:30:16 PM

Hi folks,

I only have two antminer S2, but sure enough, one was fixed with the June 19th update, and the other still does not hold it's configuration changes... until now.  Wink I like Linux; because I can make it do whatever I need it to do. In this case, I wanted the same things that you do, to keep it's configurations after a reboot.

My fix is a shell script that unpacks the bitmaintech provided initramfs (firmware) tar files, changes the network settings to be unique for each S2, and inserts my custom pool settings. It's not perfect. It's not even elegant, but it does work.

Just put the pub_bminit.sh script on a Linux server, and change the permissions for it to be executable. Adjust the pieces highlighted with red. Just tell it where the initramfs tar file is located, like this:

./pub_bminit.sh /home/username/Downloads/initramfs.bin.SD-20140619.tar
___
#! /bin/bash

export PATH="/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/root/bin"

if
  [ -n "${1}" ]
then

if
    [ -f "${1}" ]
  then
    export SD_VER=`basename ${1} | awk -F\- '{print $2}' | awk -F\. '{print $1}'`
    mkdir -m 0755 -p "/tmp/${SD_VER}/modified/fs"
    cp "${1}" "/tmp/${SD_VER}/.ORIG`basename ${1}`"
    cd "/tmp/${SD_VER}/"

#--> unpack the initramfs (firmware) file
    tar xfz ".ORIG`basename ${1}`"
    dd if=initramfs.bin.SD of=initramfs.cpio.gz bs=64 skip=1
    gunzip initramfs.cpio.gz
    cd modified/fs
    cpio -vidF ../../initramfs.cpio

#--> add a number for each miner for the loop
    for i in 1 2
    do                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

#--> double-check the current directory                                                                                                                                                                                               
      if                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
        [ `pwd` != "/tmp/${SD_VER}/modified/fs" ]                                                                                                                                                                                           
      then                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        cd "/tmp/${SD_VER}/modified/fs"                                                                                                                                                                                                     
      fi                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

#--> insert your custom pool info                                                                                                                                                                                                     
      cat > ./etc/cgminer.conf.factory << EOF                                                                                                                                                                                               
{                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  "pools": [                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      "url": "stratum+tcp://stratum.yourpool1.com:3333",                                                                                                                                                                                     
      "user": "yourusername_10${i}",                                                                                                                                                                                                         
      "pass": "yourpassword" 

},                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      "url": "stratum+tcp://stratum.yourpool2.com:3333",                                                                                                                                                                                     

},                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      "url": "stratum+tcp://stratum.yourpool3.com:3333",                                                                                                                                                                                     

}
  ],
  "api-listen": true,
  "api-network": true,
  "api-allow": "W:0/0",
  "bitmainbeeper" : true,
  "bitmaintempoverctrl" : true
}
EOF

#--> insert your custom network info
      cat > ./etc/network.conf.factory << EOF
hostname=antminer10${i}
ipaddress=10.0.0.10${i}
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=10.0.0.1
dnsservers="8.8.8.8"

EOF

#--> rebuild the initramfs (firmware) file
      find . | cpio -H newc -o > ../initramfs.cpio
      cd "/tmp/${SD_VER}/modified"
      gzip initramfs.cpio
      mkimage -n 'Angstrom-bitmainer-eglibc-ipk-v2' -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -d initramfs.cpio.gz initramfs.bin.SD
      tar cfz "../initramfs.bin.SD-${SD_VER}.tar" initramfs.bin.SD
      mkdir -m 0755 -p /opt/firmware/${SD_VER}/10${i}
      mv "../initramfs.bin.SD-${SD_VER}.tar" /opt/firmware/${SD_VER}/10${i}/

done
    #--> end of the loop

fi

fi
___

"Can I be the sockpuppet General of the Underpants Gnomes?" ~ specialed101
Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:15:35 PM

Woke up to a dead S2 this morning.  Like a previous poster, I have moved it around to different outlets, nothing.  I noticed the power bar that it was plugged into was melted slightly melted in the outlet it was plugged into.  I did plug it directly into the wall to see if it was the outlet, nothing.  How do you know if the PSU is bad or gone?  This is not good. 

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Darthswan

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 02:05:31 PM

Woke up to a dead S2 this morning.  Like a previous poster, I have moved it around to different outlets, nothing.  I noticed the power bar that it was plugged into was melted slightly melted in the outlet it was plugged into.  I did plug it directly into the wall to see if it was the outlet, nothing.  How do you know if the PSU is bad or gone?  This is not good. 

Fixed it.  Removed all of the blades and reinserted them. 

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 02:06:58 PM

I would still be concerned about the slight melted outlet on your power strip.  Make sure you use a heavy gauge power cable out of the back of the PSU to make sure it doesn't overheat, same for the power strip.
Darthswan

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:26:56 PM

I would still be concerned about the slight melted outlet on your power strip.  Make sure you use a heavy gauge power cable out of the back of the PSU to make sure it doesn't overheat, same for the power strip.

I'm going to check into that also.  They sent a 200V power cord with it.  I did use a heavy duty power cord 120v.  I'm trying not get a mini data center in my home.  I'm looking for another power strip in the meantime.  Any recommendations?

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █