March 16, 2014, 09:07:19 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2016, 07:22:41 PM by BitcoinEXpress

delete
rmines

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:09:36 PM

I also get annoyed by newbies trying to scam people for lends or just spamming etc.
I'm not sure what would be the best remedy but I do support your claim that new measures must be taken.

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
LightedLamp

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:23:03 PM

Lets lynch them
theMiracle

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:40:27 PM

Wonder what made Theymos drop the n00b jail requirement and simplify the signup process?
rmines

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:45:04 PM

More accounts mean more page views and better stats for advertisers? Could that have something to do with it?

Vortuarackne

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:46:26 PM

Whilst I am still a "newbie" I 100% agree with this. Too many alt accounts being created.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 09:48:35 PM

Everyone (including the moderators), except theymos and the spammers/abusers, is tired of it, apparently.

Masochism is currently a requirement for moderators.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
theMiracle

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:55:49 PM

More accounts mean more page views and better stats for advertisers? Could that have something to do with it?

I thought about that, but the advertisers here (until recently) were fairly specialized, and the forum has an obscene amount of unspent coin from early donations, so I doubt the page views is what it's about.  The new accounts are lower quality, more "disposable" accounts -- more likely to do more damage than good to the forum.  Weird.
rmines

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:58:02 PM

What you're saying also makes sense, but the explanation I gave in my previous post was the only logical explanation I could think of.
Weird indeed..

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:00:25 PM

Everyone (including the moderators), except theymos and the spammers/abusers, is tired of it, apparently.

Masochism is currently a requirement for moderators.

Yes and Yes
E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:36:35 PM

I always make sure to post in threads asking for newbies restriction up again and my vote is up with you guys its definitely a yes  !!

The loan requests are 80% from the newbie accounts and 78% are trying to scam

Only the newbies have all the magical and unreal ideas and deals

All the scams posted are 99%  advertised from a newbie account and posted in all the sections of the forum  Angry
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 10:50:42 PM

We all are tired from their posts, especially in the 'bitcoin discussion' section.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:02:57 AM

We should continue to bump thread to top of list until something is done.  These newbs are totally ruining the site.
mexxer

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:13:09 PM

I saw a suggestion about hero or vip for example allowing newbies to go free, it sounds good and will lower spam/allow good newbies 'owners' to use the sites.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 06:25:38 AM

I don't think the problem is so much the newbie restrictions being lifted. The latest iteration of the newbie restrictions wasn't even that restrictive, you merely had to wait 4 hours. No need to be logged in for 4 hours, just wait. It certainly doesn't help, but I think the major contributing factor was the addition of child boards for alt currencies. It greatly increased the amount of moderation necessary for the forum as a whole, yet the moderation team hasn't increased at all, besides one more promotion (malevolent). Never in my years of being a moderator here has so much of my time been spent merely reacting to reports. Imagine what a mess your local club would be if every time there was a drunk that needed to be booted, trash that needed to be cleaned up, etc, someone had to go and ask a bouncer for it. Much cleaner when they actually have time to walk around and spot problems themselves.

Before, we had a very appropriately sized, competent moderation team. Now that we have to clean up after all the trash and spammers in alt currencies there's barely any time to look after the rest of the forum, and the reports page is constantly flooded with reports coming from there as well, so legitimate reports from the rest of the forum take longer to get to as well. Also the fact that around the same time as alt currencies getting new child boards, the alt currencies mod was promoted to global, so his duties get diluted among the rest of the forum as well.

Getting more moderators for alt currencies is going to be rife with problems as well, most of the folks there are just there to make a few bitcoins off the latest pump and dump, and will abuse the moderator position to that end. Most who was there legitimately has since left because of the flood of shit coming in.    

A lot of bad decisions lately.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: