Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:37:37 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: if the number of transactions doesn't pick up by 8/16 miners will have to quit  (Read 4033 times)
Robert Paulson (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:37:44 PM

The block reward is scheduled to be halved on around august 2016.
when that happens unless the amount of transactions fees rises to compensate for the reward drop,
mining will become unprofitable and the hash rate will drop rapidly.
what can be done to prevent this  Huh
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:50:06 PM

when that happens unless the amount of transactions fees rises to compensate for the reward drop,
What needs to be prevented, exactly? And why?

People saying bullshit like "mining will become unprofitable" clearly haven't got a clue how mining and the adaptive difficulty works.

Minnig will always remain profitable for "enough" people. ALWAYS.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:57:01 PM

i assume you mean network hash rate... if it drops, then opportunities open up
for more miners and we reach a new equilibrium.  I dont see the problem.

LAMarcellus

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:16:14 PM

Welcome to bitcointalk.org!

Please refrain from marginalizing yourself by using sensational titles then admitting total ignorance in your posting.
Perhaps stick to questions rather than statements until you know what you're talking about.
Fair warning; we have ignore buttons and you're question have been answered here in the forum multiple times already.
Act like an adult and watch what you type. Or be treated like a troll.

Keep learning!!
Respectfully,
L

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. – Albert Camus
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:39:04 PM

Another dynamic to consider is that less new coins means less supply driving up the price and making mining more profitable

Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:42:15 PM

People saying bullshit like "mining will become unprofitable" clearly haven't got a clue how mining and the adaptive difficulty works.

when i say mining will become unprofitable i obviously mean mining will become unprofitable at the current difficulty (or what ever it will be when this event happens).
the reward halving will force both difficulty and network hash rate to drop thus making the network more vulnerable to a 50% attack.
unless of course the transaction fee's will be the vast majority of profits made by miners by then.
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:47:38 PM

Another dynamic to consider is that less new coins means less supply driving up the price and making mining more profitable

you are correct that the reduced inflation will somewhat balance the reward halving shock.
but considering that today transaction fee's are a very negligible profit for miners it seems to me that the block reward halving (and thus almost halving of the miner's income unless the current situation changes)
will be a major shock to the network despite the relatively small reduction in inflation.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:59:21 PM

Adding too much fee will kill bitcoin. Only strongest miners will survive

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 11:50:04 PM

Newbie, go do more research before posting nonsense.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:02:33 AM

I've seen block reward halfing with alt-coins and their mining profitability remains relatively unchanged. A perfect example of FUD in action on the OP behalf.

The question now is, is this an engineered attempt at FUD i.e. a TROLL!! or simply the result of ignorance and lack of research?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:06:33 AM

you are correct that the reduced inflation will somewhat balance the reward halving shock.
but considering that today transaction fee's are a very negligible profit for miners it seems to me that the block reward halving (and thus almost halving of the miner's income unless the current situation changes)
will be a major shock to the network despite the relatively small reduction in inflation.

Many people made the exact same predictions (based on dubious analysis) before the last time the block reward halved and it occured with a wimper not a bang.  Some miners became unprofitable and quit.  The lowered difficulty means the remaining miners saw their revenue rise.  The rising exchange rate resulting in a higher USD revenue for a lower amount of bitcoins.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:31:42 AM

There are many factors that decide mining profability.

Difficulty
Transaction reward (fees)
Block reward
Hashrate of your miner
Power consumption of your miner
Cost of power in your area
Bitcoin value

Once the block reward halves, some of the other factors will surely balance out.
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:46:50 AM

Many people made the exact same predictions (based on dubious analysis) before the last time the block reward halved and it occured with a wimper not a bang.  Some miners became unprofitable and quit.  The lowered difficulty means the remaining miners saw their revenue rise.  The rising exchange rate resulting in a higher USD revenue for a lower amount of bitcoins.

the last time the reward was halved the transition went smooth because bitcoin's dollar value grew rapidly.
bitcoin is no longer a hobby of a small group of people, it cannot continue growing in value this fast forever.
it is very possible the dollar value will stay relatively stable when the 2016 halving occurs and so with no fast rise in dollar prices there will be no compensation for miner's lost revenue.
with the cost of operation vs mining revenue equilibrium broken there will be no choice for miners but to shut their rigs down until difficulty and hash rate fall enough for a new equilibrium to be reached.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:52:36 AM

I honestly don't think so.  Major cost is in rigs to begin with.  Even if some minors stop ...so what

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:56:06 AM

How many coins of any currency have you mined? I highly doubt that you're speaking from any kind of experience here.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 01:06:46 AM

Since we can't reliably factor in the value of a Bitcoin in the future, there's no way to know whether mining will be profitable by the time of the next halving.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:19:38 AM

ASIC manufactures will have to lower their price to compensate, mining will still be profitable

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:22:24 AM

Since we can't reliably factor in the value of a Bitcoin in the future, there's no way to know whether mining will be profitable by the time of the next halving.

will always be profitable for someone...even if difficulty decreases (which is unlikely anytime soon)

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:23:28 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply considering this was a strong argument before last years halving now we have seen what happens afterwards.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
klabaki

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:37:30 AM

It doesn't matter whether mining is profitable or not.

There is a certain amount of SHA-256 ASIC mining gear in existence and this mining gear just can't magically "disappear".
If mining becomes unprofitable for some miners, then they will sell their hardware. This means that others will buy that very same hardware.
This doesn't change the hashrate at all. It only means that some part of the hashrate will change ownership.

The hashrate can't decrease unless people really start to throw their hardware into the recycle bin.
But no one with half a brain would do that while there are people who want to buy that hardware.

I know that the hashrate decreased once in the past, but that was only because there was still GPU mining at that time.
GPU mining has the serious flaw that mining gear can be used for something else than mining (e.g. gaming) which puts the network at risk of losing this hashrate again.

Luckily, GPU mining is over, so this can't happen anymore. The waste majority of produced ASICs will keep mining until the end of its lifetime.

Ƶ = µBTC

Wer den Satoshi nicht ehrt, der ist den Ƶibcoin nicht wert.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: