Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:50:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Token Swaps Kill The Idea Of Hodling  (Read 443 times)
Nezerlan (OP)

Activity: 214
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 01:37:43 PM

A token swap, is the switching of digital tokens from one blockchain onto another blockchain. This usually happens when projects that utilize one blockchain (like ethereum) to facilitate funds, and then desire to move their tokens onto their own private exclusive blockchain as soon as the project’s mainnet has been launched.

Now, for an average long term investor, he buys to hold after hearing of how people hold tokens and after some years or months, they discover that their token value as gone up and then they sell for huge profits.

Most long term investors don't have that time and luxury to be lurking around telegram groups reading chats from admins and bot members. They buy like they would normally purchase shares and wait for it to go up in price while checking once in a while.

The moment a project announces a token swap, the long term investor is not aware of it because they likely don't know much about crypto stuff and don't hang around telegram groups. They just buy and hodl while hoping it moons later on. As a result, tokens are swapped and the investor ends up with losses for a project they believe was going to deliver profits for them. To make it worse, the project team will refuse to swap the investor's token after the deadline has passed.

This is sad as it effectively means you cannot be sure to buy tokens, hodl and go to sleep for 20 years, then wake up and meet it in huge profits. The project devs might have done a swap while you slept and you'd only wake up to meet a bag of worthless shit in your wallet.

If projects want to engage in a token swap, then it has to be done automatically and not manual as not every investor will be aware of the swap announcements.

If it has to be a manual token swap then they should leave the swap open forever so that investors can swap whenever they can do so and not forced to do so at a set deadline.

RideNodeTM (RIDE) is the First American Ride and Transportation Blockchain and Virtual Currency.
https://ridenode.io/[/cent
fuer44

Activity: 1638
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 02:01:02 PM

therefore, if you want to invest or just follow a new project, you must join their team chat group. There are telegrams, BTBT forums, or others available. in the case of token swaps, it doesn't always happen automatically, some are manual. and indeed this project is usually very long because it is waiting for a net test from a team that requires a very long time. for that reason, long-term investors think they can relax and wait for tokens to go to the month because of the length of the swap process, to the exchanger.
kramchers

Activity: 854
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:14:56 PM

Token swap, some holders dont know that this will happen or happened already but they are not aware and this happens many time.
What is the Idea of token swap? This is not safe as the total supply might increase. i dont support token swap, any of them.
max6575

Activity: 1176
Merit: 100

Vave.com

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 02:22:26 PM

as uses with customs of work on evaluation that developer to defines of limitation on field of moderation, the returns might gives of one on value with qualification as the distinctive on sortino level to helps as improving drawing on movement as the chart on market with the bitcoin business of the finance.

DarkDays
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1189

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:24:26 PM

I think that any project looking to implement a token swap should reach out to their users WELL in advance to explain the situation, including why the token swap is needed and what the benefits are for the project. I agree that some users could lose out simply because they didn't know that a token swap was incurring, I've also been affected by similar situations in the past.

However, most of the time projects will change their token over to the mainnet for its long-term benefit, so if everything goes to plan, it should be worth more than the ERC20 token or previous network token was.
DDante

Activity: 434
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:30:46 PM

No i don't accept with you, token swaps indeed can help projects as well, some projects already included this in their roadmaps or whitepaper for such upgrades in the future, i have seen few projects that switch from erc20 blockchain to very own made blockchain and it helps a lot, if you talking about losing out when token swap take place then join the social media of the projects you are holding, you won't miss out doing so
Mighty_crypt

Activity: 784
Merit: 21

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:44:42 PM

A token swap, is the switching of digital tokens from one blockchain onto another blockchain. This usually happens when projects that utilize one blockchain (like ethereum) to facilitate funds, and then desire to move their tokens onto their own private exclusive blockchain as soon as the project’s mainnet has been launched.

Now, for an average long term investor, he buys to hold after hearing of how people hold tokens and after some years or months, they discover that their token value as gone up and then they sell for huge profits.

Most long term investors don't have that time and luxury to be lurking around telegram groups reading chats from admins and bot members. They buy like they would normally purchase shares and wait for it to go up in price while checking once in a while.

The moment a project announces a token swap, the long term investor is not aware of it because they likely don't know much about crypto stuff and don't hang around telegram groups. They just buy and hodl while hoping it moons later on. As a result, tokens are swapped and the investor ends up with losses for a project they believe was going to deliver profits for them. To make it worse, the project team will refuse to swap the investor's token after the deadline has passed.

This is sad as it effectively means you cannot be sure to buy tokens, hodl and go to sleep for 20 years, then wake up and meet it in huge profits. The project devs might have done a swap while you slept and you'd only wake up to meet a bag of worthless shit in your wallet.

If projects want to engage in a token swap, then it has to be done automatically and not manual as not every investor will be aware of the swap announcements.

If it has to be a manual token swap then they should leave the swap open forever so that investors can swap whenever they can do so and not forced to do so at a set deadline.
How can you hodl coins and tokens for 20years without joining their newsletter for future updates? or join twitter and telegram channels for updates,i think its your fault 100% and not the project, projects have to get stable updates in time so swaps can happen at any time,its your duty to always stay updated

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Psynthax

Activity: 2296
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:54:53 PM

Remember this if that was a good developer and there will be no any limitation to swap your token to another blockchain and just like that and let's take a look at how crypterium is always trying to open the gate anytime for investors to swap their token from binance chain token to ethereum chain and otherwise from ethereum to the binance.
The main problems are in the developer itself dude.
I agree with you it must be done automatically or create a new platform that will be used as a swapping platform.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
mcnocon2

Activity: 616
Merit: 18

📱CARTESI 📱INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAPPS

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 03:00:04 PM

Its very hard to deal with this token swaps especially when they are transferring to their main net. You must be very active in their group for you to know when will be the swap. But some projects gives a very long time to token holders to swap their token. For at least a year and I think as an investor you should know this things. You must have seen the developments of your projects.

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 03:09:43 PM

If projects want to engage in a token swap, then it has to be done automatically and not manual as not every investor will be aware of the swap announcements because majority of these investors has a ful time work and just monitor the media or telegram channel sometimes or weekly, it's an injustice for them to, or they can extend the swap for a few months.

Doranile432

Activity: 476
Merit: 22

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 03:16:04 PM

What!! wow this is new, who is to be blamed here? the project teams won't dial your phone number to tell you that they are swapping to new blockchain, its your duty and right to always follow all projects channel to avoid missing such opportunities, you invested your hard earned cash and you must not relax on projects to do all thongs for you
Novatech8

Activity: 700
Merit: 27

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 03:20:28 PM

I haven't seen any project that swap token to new blockchain platform without spreading the news to all investors and holders, they will introduce a dead line when you will be able to switch the old tokens to new tokens so if you missed the chance its your damn fault for not staying updated with the project

Avirunes
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 03:26:03 PM

Don't you think they can credit the same amount of token of whatever token swap ratio and credit the address accordingly. I have seen one or two projects doing that which is better than asking investors to do the token swap before deadline.

Just take a snapshot and credit accordingly. Otherwise you are just expecting your investors to lose coina during this event which I find it a bad practice in Altcoins.
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 03:47:00 PM

You are right. Token swaps can kill the value of a coin. A lot of projects did so. Some still have their tokens active on the Ethereum blockchain.
And sometimes they increase the number of tokens to try to attract more investors and to make the tokens value less expensive. (For example the swap of VEN to VET for VeChain)
But that's very bad for token holders as they might lose more money in the short term. And there is no guarantee that the project will become successful in the future.
The announcement of the token swap to all token holders can be very difficult, as not everyone is going to subscribe to the newsletter of the project or is connected to the Telegram channel.
And people should take a lot of time just to read what is happening with all the tokens they are holding. It is a real nightmare to follow each projects.
And the swap can't be done automatically as the holders need a new wallet in the new blockchain.
That's why holding coins on an exchange is more practical, but it is more dangerous in case of a hack or disappearance of the exchange.
Nezerlan (OP)

Activity: 214

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 04:42:20 PM

What!! wow this is new, who is to be blamed here? the project teams won't dial your phone number to tell you that they are swapping to new blockchain, its your duty and right to always follow all projects channel to avoid missing such opportunities, you invested your hard earned cash and you must not relax on projects to do all thongs for you

Haven't you read about several celebrities who had bitcoin when it was cheap and just forgot it in their wallets. Only to find out it had gone up in value in 2017.

If there had been a swap before then, you think they'd be able to sell the unswapped coins after?

RideNodeTM (RIDE) is the First American Ride and Transportation Blockchain and Virtual Currency.
https://ridenode.io/[/cent
princerepon

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 06:59:12 PM

[-snip-]

Yeah it's totally sad and feels really terrible. This happened on me also and yes i got nothing from it. You are right about every points. Who want to be hold for a long time they don't see news form that project a lot. Even they don't active so much in telegram or other announcement channel. Because they want to sell couple of years later then why they wait for the project's news.

I totally support about auto swap thing. Actually i saw some projects to do that successfully. Investor invest their money for profit. But sometimes the team management down them badly for taking such a stupid step like that.  
terencio

Activity: 742
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 07:05:59 PM

What I really hate about Token swap, when the company has a specific timeline for the token swap. I was away from the crypto and I have no idea that the token I am holding had swapped their token and I have to chase their project team to consider my request and it's given me a lot of stress. I don't support this idea.

forexandcryptoauditor
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 07:06:28 PM

You are right. I have also lost my hard earned rewards because of token swap and not keeping myself updated with project.
It was RRC token and few months later I came to know that it was swapped to ERC-20.
But now I learnt the lessons. We have to keep ourselves updated via all means of their social channels, untill we sell the tokens.

disconnectme

Activity: 1876
Merit: 512

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 07:33:01 PM

I don't see how this is killing the idea of holding, I could remember recently I missed swap of one project I was holding their tokens and when I wanted to sell the address on exchange is no longer ERC20 tokens and I proceeded to swap it on the mainnet and everything went well. The main thing is do not lose your private key

█ ▀  ▄
  ▄ █  █▌ 
▄    █
        ███
                  ▀▀▀▀▀██
         ███          ███
      ███     【】     ███
   ███   【】【】   ███
██▀           █  █         ▀██         
█▄          █  █        ▄██
   ███       █  █     ███
      ███   █  ███ 
         ███    █    ███
            ███   ███

.T o o l K i t z A I .Break The Barrier.

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

███████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRY DEMO
███████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

▄▄████
                 ▄▄████████▌
           ▄▄█████████▀███
     ▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀    ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀     ▄███████▌
      ██     ▄█████████
       █   ▄██████████▌
       █   ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌
prehisto

Activity: 882
Merit: 112

Your Data Belongs To You

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 07:40:49 PM

The scenario you described, is very unprofessional from the team.
I know few projects that swap their tokens forever, they dont have timelines.

I suppose that investors also get emails and several alerts afterwards ( reminders)

X L S L A B S ◉◉◉ INTERNET OF TRUST ◉◉◉ X L S L A B S
If you care about your personal data, you need to understand its future.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▮ TelegramTwitterBitcointalk ▮▬▬▬▬▬▬
Bananington

Activity: 1428
Merit: 344

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 07:43:37 PM

Token swaps must not necessarily be from one blockchain to another, it can also be on same blockchain but an upgrade. For example from ERC-20 to ERC-223 on Ethereum blockchain. That aside, you made a very good point here. I am totally against the idea of putting deadlines for token swap, many investors usually miss out and lose a lot of funds. A good project should add a section for token swap in their mainnet wallet for example or if it's on same blockchain, it should happen automatically. Investors should be prompted to withdraw to personal wallets and of course long term investors will always leave coins/tokens in personal wallets hence they won't be affected.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
Avirunes
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 08:11:37 PM

I was following the discussion and I do get it that investors also need to tuned up with updates but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should indirectly scam token holders that were unaware about it and came in late for the token swap. There should be a proper provision for them to recover it. Maybe remove the deadline.

Token swap is a very bad practice and by making investors lose their share will only welcome bad image.
irixo10

Activity: 1078
Merit: 104

GoMeat - Digitalizing Meat Stores - ICO

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 08:21:11 PM

This is the truth as most projects has done it and ends up making long term holders regret ever holding. To be candid, most investors nowadays prefers holding coins like Eth, BTC and so on when it comes to long term holding because they are sure there won't be any future swap and its likes. Also, there are good projects one might consider holding, I think the first thing to do in this case is to take note of when the main net will be launched thereby having a time frame of when swapping will take place. Also, checking the telegram group once in a while will also be helpful.

Yamifoud

Activity: 2758
Merit: 517

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 10:06:40 PM

This swapping scenario will only kill its credibility and investors will surely all be leaving from them. This is not a good idea and it only pulling others to stay away from crypto and loss their hopes, and it looks like holding doesn't make sense at all. Now, if you are not aware of what the company are planning for (swapping) you'll probably be waking up surprise and lose your funds.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Quintrix

Activity: 259
Merit: 17

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 11:09:22 PM

If they are going to make a swap, they should make an announcement as early as three months, and they should do extend  their announcement for five months, so latecomer can still avail of this swap, there are long term holders that only check information about their coin once or twice a month especially if it's an old coin

betty11
Copper Member

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 01:19:43 AM

Some projects that swap to Binance DEx now have almost zero trading volume. Maybe they should remain in the ethereum network. It's possible there is future for them in the long run when Binance begin to support projects on their blockchain. Investors that buy altcoins to hold for years should be educated on the inherent dangers.
Kotone

Activity: 1372
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2019, 03:03:55 AM

Not really killing but might confuse some other investors with it. The only worry I have for the tokens conducting swapping is some investors who holds their tokens and forget about it for a while holding lose the chance to swap it and some projects have due dates and this is the worst since people sometime dont intend to watch or get an update with some of their asset for quite sometime. Maybe sometimes project should allowed late conversion cause not everybody is a time watch who always check update on social media of their portfolio activities.

vladimirhf

Activity: 590
Merit: 39

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 07:29:08 AM

Well... at the moment people should be happy if their erc20 project is still alive Cheesy If you are holding something at least sign up for a newsletter. Send emails to subscribers is the minimum a team should do.

I had no problem with swaps before, two of my eth tokens made it. Open Platform did not migrate to a new blockchain, but they made a new contract and gave a bonus for hodlers, the process was a bit laborious, but everything went well. HPB was fast and eas. Now Sandblock is doing it, they just asked to send tokens from their app to our ethereum wallet, waiting for next steps...

but it's true that sometimes the lack of communication from the teams may lead to disasters.. this one (cures token) locked all bounty/airdrops tokens by smart contract. People were unaware of this, here is the result: https://etherscan.io/address/0x90d2f949ceafedfabd4bbb15c1f70ba9c7a17f2e A thousand failed transactions and wasted gas.
imstillthebest

Merit: 122

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 07:44:23 AM

i experienced this one before but luckily i did already sell my token just before they upgrade it  . if i dont do that i think i will regret forever because there is no possible way to sell the old token that i have  . your right , not all times we can be updated on thier channels or on thier groups because we do also do other things and we also follow other projects  . my telegram is now compose of different projects and i find it hard to read the important announcement due to many notifications or new messages that appears constantly  . i agree on the idea of doing automatic swaps or they can just not swap at all to avoid issues from the old investors .
confreslamp
Copper Member

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

CINEMADROM ⥋ BLOCKCHAIN FILM PLATFORM

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 08:34:18 AM

I think swaps can be good for tokenomics. Especially, when a project has a huge total supply and marketing/promotions are not going well. The good choice is to make a swap from a token to its own coin for 10:1 proportion to make everybody happy.

Leyss

Activity: 574
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 07:16:47 PM

Cryptocurrency has just begun to develop and it is not perfect. There are no fixed binding rules yet. Perhaps in the future there will be no need for project teams to switch from one blockchain to another. In the meantime, things are going differently. There are teams that announce the holders of their tokens about the transition to a new blockchain and explain what everyone needs to do manually. Of course, this is very inconvenient and not everyone can understand the technical side of this process. However, there are teams that simply send their new tokens to the wallets of the holders of the old tokens.
Upgate

Activity: 560
Merit: 14

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 07:24:56 PM

The idea might have it bad side but if I am a project manager and my project was running on a said blockchain and I discover is wasn't the right decision I can for the growth of my token decide to change blockchain at any time but with full consideration
diazepam666

Activity: 1162
Merit: 516

1BTC Welcome Bonus

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 07:29:16 PM

Some projects that swap to Binance DEx now have almost zero trading volume. Maybe they should remain in the ethereum network. It's possible there is future for them in the long run when Binance begin to support projects on their blockchain. Investors that buy altcoins to hold for years should be educated on the inherent dangers.

Swapping is good that too using their coins to make some income on exchanging coins each other. We need to check the best coins for swapping our own hodling coins.
Since the market is completely moving down, the best choice is to swapping money at the right time.
If you miss the choice you will not make money, you can pick at perfect time.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ████████     ▄█▄▄
       ▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀   ▄██████
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀    ███████▀
 ▄▄███▄▄          ███████▀
█████████▄        █████▀
███████████▄       ▀▀▀▀
▀████████████▄
 ▀████████████▄
  ▀████████████▄
    ▀███████████
      ▀████████▀
        ▀▀████▀
        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ████████     ▄█▄▄
       ▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀   ▄██████
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀    ███████▀
 ▄▄███▄▄          ███████▀
█████████▄        █████▀
███████████▄       ▀▀▀▀
▀████████████▄
 ▀████████████▄
  ▀████████████▄
    ▀███████████
      ▀████████▀
        ▀▀████▀
..Learn More..
bartolo

Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2019, 08:02:42 PM

Don't you think they can credit the same amount of token of whatever token swap ratio and credit the address accordingly. I have seen one or two projects doing that which is better than asking investors to do the token swap before deadline.

Just take a snapshot and credit accordingly. Otherwise you are just expecting your investors to lose coina during this event which I find it a bad practice in Altcoins.

The problem is that you only can do that when you are swapping tokens in the same blockchain, for example when you swap the token to change the supply or something like that. In fact, in those cases, that should be the common practice, snapshot and distribution without the holder doing anything. However, when you swap and change the blockchain you need the holder to send his new blockchain address. In those cases I understand that project developers set a deadline and remove old tokens from exchanges when the deadline is met, but I don't understand that they refuse to swap clueless investors tokens after that period.
SistaFista

Merit: 251

Hexhash.xyz

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 02:34:36 AM

You cannot leave your investment without monitoring it, at least you must open your email once in few days.
The swap announcement usually will be done by broadcast to email of the investors.
Sometimes swap is used to profiting the investors by protecting the token value if there is a breach / hacking.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
            ████ 
       ████████████
       ████████████
       ████ ████     
       ████ ████     
    ████████████     
    ████████████     
       ████     
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
█▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀
HEXHASH.XYZ
▀▀▀█

▀▀▀▀
█▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀
WEB3 INFRASTRUCTURE TO POWER THE
FUTURE CREDENTIAL DATA NETWORKS
▀▀▀█

▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
libert19

Activity: 2506
Merit: 943

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2019, 02:41:26 AM

It's not sad, if you invest in something, it's your duty to stay up to date. Checking once every month should be enough.

Most projects have monthly/weekly newsletters, subscribe to them.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Periodik

Activity: 1022
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 03:23:43 AM

I am with you on this idea. The problem with swapping is that there is too much assumption on the project development's side. They cannot just do that especially when token swap is involved. They assume for example that every token owner is constantly following their updates. That is a bad assumption. Another could be that even if some are not following, they will still get hold of the information in less than a month's time. That is another bad assumption from them.

The best would be automatic swap regardless of where the tokens are stored by the individual owners. If it is not automatic, it has to be left open ended. If it cannot be done that way, it has to be planned and announced much earlier than the swapping dates, like a year or 10 months before. And the swapping dates should also be opened within a year or 10 months.

Rikotin

Activity: 296

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 03:28:26 AM

The idea might have it bad side but if I am a project manager and my project was running on a said blockchain and I discover is wasn't the right decision I can for the growth of my token decide to change blockchain at any time but with full consideration

each developer or team has considered before making a token swap decision, but what determines success or failure depends on them. but I often see that tokens in Swap are on average not good and ultimately don't have a sale price. like the DOCTailor token case
bassbity

Activity: 1092
Merit: 284

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 03:48:07 AM

each developer or team has considered before making a token swap decision, but what determines success or failure depends on them. but I often see that tokens in Swap are on average not good and ultimately don't have a sale price. like the DOCTailor token case

But many also succeeded after token swaps like Pundix and Dabanking were very successful and the team was really mature in running their project to success.
danherbias07
Legendary

Activity: 3136
Merit: 1119

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 03:58:58 AM

Yes. It could gone wrong.

Some just want to buy and leave it behind letting it rot and waiting for the future price to go up.
But that is not the case with most of the ICO which came through a successful offering.
They swap and just inform it in telegram.
This is why I always check them even just once a month.
Also, the problem will be when the price suddenly falls because of some greedy bastards who want to make money out of it. The selling part after they swap and then buying back when they see the price going back down.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
TanakabZX

Activity: 504
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 06:56:55 AM

Some projects have bad teams, when they swap to new blockchain they still keep the old one around instead of erasing the old one to avoid confusing investors, moozicore project is doing the same thing presently,the old MZI token is still on exchanges trading and the new MZG is out too and many have already switched

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
aristecounos

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 05:37:52 PM

That's very hard to find legit project

my opinion is
We shouldn't much invest on token projects..
When u wanna invest to any projects..please checking first ..more projects are Scam now..
Before was good..

New project are legit like COUNOSCOIN .pvt..axe..and...
Mulann2

Activity: 686
Merit: 35

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 05:55:46 PM

@OP I completely understand your view point as it will really suck to be in such situation but as an investor it is very necessary to know what is happening to your investment, so even if you are not going to engage in chitchat on any telegram group, at least attach yourself with any of the project social media handle for any new or news update or subscribe to newsletter to receive important update,
It doesn't make sense to just invest on something and you don't keep track of it from time to time,  that will be entirely your fault for being negligent.
xOdiumNostrumx

Activity: 1064

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 06:53:38 PM

This issue is always present for sure. You just have to semi-regularly follow (their development) the project that you are holding, or risk loosing your funds as today's tokens can very well be obsolete in couple of months.
lixer

Activity: 2520
Merit: 586

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 04:00:18 AM

-Snip--
That is seriously a sad situation, I have been in this position also, and ever since the big project that I had invested in, waiting to stay for 3 years with them before I can think of profit did that to me, I stopped investing in too much coin, because I had too many coins that I was hoping will be a good project in future, and talking of my future, I was tying it to at least 3 years, and if it was a normal investment that you tie to 3 years, you have right not to even check it until that 3 years is close, but it is in ICO that I see this stupid token swap gives dead line without swapping the project automatically, so how many coins do I want to monitor from time to time. Me I even see this not swapping of token automatically as scam. We just need to learn to invest in very few projects that one can monitor from time to time.

joseyphil82

Activity: 742

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 06:35:31 AM

Believe me its your fault for missing out on any project's token swap, your are not on track with the coins you hodl you will surely miss out,project teams will surely announce their upcoming token swap before the day arrives so its not the teams fault, just because you are holding doesn't mean you shouldn't stay on track with the project

Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 08:58:36 PM

It's pretty difficult to keep track of messaging app, email, social media etc for news on new developments. People could even lose their email/social media login information in the future. I honestly think the current method of token swap isn't perfect a one. It should be better handled. The switching from one Blockchain to new Blockchain can be quite intimidating to newbies
BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 09:15:01 PM

I think swapping is ok as long as the project owner do not set a timeframe on the swap.  It does not kill the idea of hodling because swapping is not selling.  It is just the project owner finds a better platform where they can maximize the usage of their token.
Goodvalony

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 09:26:21 PM

the idea of swapping platform is not to kill a project but to redesign the structure and process of the project. maybe the initial platform is sluggish in transaction, not secured and have so many flaws. the idea is to move into a  better decentralized and faster platform. investors are to follow up with projects they invested on to know the latest update. this will prevent the possibility of been left behind.
iv4n
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 1174

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 09:26:27 PM

I think swapping is ok as long as the project owner do not set a timeframe on the swap.  It does not kill the idea of hodling because swapping is not selling.  It is just the project owner finds a better platform where they can maximize the usage of their token.

More then that swap is announced in the whitepaper, before investing you should read it. Some of the tokens I had are now on their own blockchains, now they are coins with their explorer. Usually before the swap we see announcements everywhere, I can't understand that someone miss to read the whitepaper, and later to see announcements. I know what I hold and what will happen with my tokens!
And even if someone, for some reason miss the swap, it's possible to contact devs from the project and ask them about it, they will help. It's happened to me with trx, I had amount of trx on idex, I totally forgot about them, but with the help of the team I swapped my tokens easily.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
FaucetKING

Activity: 1246
Merit: 306

C U

View Profile
September 30, 2019, 10:31:53 PM

I'm afraid that your post might contain some wrong details about the concept of "Atomic swaps" or even the ordinary swaps. A swap is an exchange from a project to another, it's clear and easy. It might be good for a holders of a project X but it might be bad for a project Y. The fault isn't related to the concept of the swap but just these projects X and Y. The projects might support the swaps and gather some pumps and might turn up to dumps, it's up to the head managers of the project and the investors themselves, not the Swap process.
adekogbe

Activity: 854
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2019, 11:04:28 PM

Token swaps is every holders nightmare.

There is no reason why Ann holder who doesn't consistently check telegram groups and other news channels of a project for news will be happy to hold tokens for long.

Unless the token swap will happen not long after the initial tokens have been distributed or the token swap will be open for an extended amount of time.

This is one of the reasons why i dont like projects with a to long roadmap before the Maine release.
I like projects that do their token swap as early as possible

Rune
Legendary

Activity: 1229
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 01:13:46 AM

A project doing a token swap that is not for a infinite period of time is just stealing the money from inactive users.
How is it money if you you need to be diligently checking news about it and if you miss a month window you lose all of your funds.
voltesbit777

Activity: 910
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 02:06:41 AM

Token swap, some holders dont know that this will happen or happened already but they are not aware and this happens many time.
What is the Idea of token swap? This is not safe as the total supply might increase. i dont support token swap, any of them.

Correct, token swap for me is really annoyed, and I think this is one of their way to avoid big rewards to their investors or
bounty hunters and most of the time those coins that have been swapped their token didn't succeed in its price in the market as well.
And you will not be happy often if their swap rate is 100:1 this always happened for the past project in which I joined before.
attech21

Activity: 224

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 04:07:48 AM

Some inventors tend to pick swap than holding thier token but why? Its because they are getting blind what they can do to thier tokens if they hold it for a while they dont even looking at and say what if i will wait a few days and see if there is a more amount of money that can exchange via token. In short they are too greedy to exchange thier token and get what they have been hard working for.

█████     |       E3T.co       |       IEO on Dcoin       |    █████
───────              Connecting Global Entrepreneurs              ──────
Arsenyo

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2019, 12:39:01 PM

I don't agree that token swap is killing the idea of holding, just follow the project, their media channels and you won't miss it. Some projects gives a very long time for token holders to swap their tokens or even include token swap in their roadmaps or whitepaper.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: