Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:53:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Token Swaps Kill The Idea Of Hodling  (Read 438 times)
Nezerlan (OP)

Activity: 214
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 01:37:43 PM

A token swap, is the switching of digital tokens from one blockchain onto another blockchain. This usually happens when projects that utilize one blockchain (like ethereum) to facilitate funds, and then desire to move their tokens onto their own private exclusive blockchain as soon as the project’s mainnet has been launched.

Now, for an average long term investor, he buys to hold after hearing of how people hold tokens and after some years or months, they discover that their token value as gone up and then they sell for huge profits.

Most long term investors don't have that time and luxury to be lurking around telegram groups reading chats from admins and bot members. They buy like they would normally purchase shares and wait for it to go up in price while checking once in a while.

The moment a project announces a token swap, the long term investor is not aware of it because they likely don't know much about crypto stuff and don't hang around telegram groups. They just buy and hodl while hoping it moons later on. As a result, tokens are swapped and the investor ends up with losses for a project they believe was going to deliver profits for them. To make it worse, the project team will refuse to swap the investor's token after the deadline has passed.

This is sad as it effectively means you cannot be sure to buy tokens, hodl and go to sleep for 20 years, then wake up and meet it in huge profits. The project devs might have done a swap while you slept and you'd only wake up to meet a bag of worthless shit in your wallet.

If projects want to engage in a token swap, then it has to be done automatically and not manual as not every investor will be aware of the swap announcements.

If it has to be a manual token swap then they should leave the swap open forever so that investors can swap whenever they can do so and not forced to do so at a set deadline.

RideNodeTM (RIDE) is the First American Ride and Transportation Blockchain and Virtual Currency.
https://ridenode.io/[/cent

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fuer44

Activity: 1638
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 02:01:02 PM

therefore, if you want to invest or just follow a new project, you must join their team chat group. There are telegrams, BTBT forums, or others available. in the case of token swaps, it doesn't always happen automatically, some are manual. and indeed this project is usually very long because it is waiting for a net test from a team that requires a very long time. for that reason, long-term investors think they can relax and wait for tokens to go to the month because of the length of the swap process, to the exchanger.
kramchers

Activity: 854
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:14:56 PM

Token swap, some holders dont know that this will happen or happened already but they are not aware and this happens many time.
What is the Idea of token swap? This is not safe as the total supply might increase. i dont support token swap, any of them.
max6575

Activity: 1176
Merit: 100

Vave.com

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 02:22:26 PM

as uses with customs of work on evaluation that developer to defines of limitation on field of moderation, the returns might gives of one on value with qualification as the distinctive on sortino level to helps as improving drawing on movement as the chart on market with the bitcoin business of the finance.

DarkDays
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1189

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:24:26 PM

I think that any project looking to implement a token swap should reach out to their users WELL in advance to explain the situation, including why the token swap is needed and what the benefits are for the project. I agree that some users could lose out simply because they didn't know that a token swap was incurring, I've also been affected by similar situations in the past.

However, most of the time projects will change their token over to the mainnet for its long-term benefit, so if everything goes to plan, it should be worth more than the ERC20 token or previous network token was.
DDante

Activity: 434
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:30:46 PM

No i don't accept with you, token swaps indeed can help projects as well, some projects already included this in their roadmaps or whitepaper for such upgrades in the future, i have seen few projects that switch from erc20 blockchain to very own made blockchain and it helps a lot, if you talking about losing out when token swap take place then join the social media of the projects you are holding, you won't miss out doing so
Mighty_crypt

Activity: 784
Merit: 21

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:44:42 PM

A token swap, is the switching of digital tokens from one blockchain onto another blockchain. This usually happens when projects that utilize one blockchain (like ethereum) to facilitate funds, and then desire to move their tokens onto their own private exclusive blockchain as soon as the project’s mainnet has been launched.

Now, for an average long term investor, he buys to hold after hearing of how people hold tokens and after some years or months, they discover that their token value as gone up and then they sell for huge profits.

Most long term investors don't have that time and luxury to be lurking around telegram groups reading chats from admins and bot members. They buy like they would normally purchase shares and wait for it to go up in price while checking once in a while.

The moment a project announces a token swap, the long term investor is not aware of it because they likely don't know much about crypto stuff and don't hang around telegram groups. They just buy and hodl while hoping it moons later on. As a result, tokens are swapped and the investor ends up with losses for a project they believe was going to deliver profits for them. To make it worse, the project team will refuse to swap the investor's token after the deadline has passed.

This is sad as it effectively means you cannot be sure to buy tokens, hodl and go to sleep for 20 years, then wake up and meet it in huge profits. The project devs might have done a swap while you slept and you'd only wake up to meet a bag of worthless shit in your wallet.

If projects want to engage in a token swap, then it has to be done automatically and not manual as not every investor will be aware of the swap announcements.

If it has to be a manual token swap then they should leave the swap open forever so that investors can swap whenever they can do so and not forced to do so at a set deadline.
How can you hodl coins and tokens for 20years without joining their newsletter for future updates? or join twitter and telegram channels for updates,i think its your fault 100% and not the project, projects have to get stable updates in time so swaps can happen at any time,its your duty to always stay updated

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Psynthax

Activity: 2282
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 02:54:53 PM

Remember this if that was a good developer and there will be no any limitation to swap your token to another blockchain and just like that and let's take a look at how crypterium is always trying to open the gate anytime for investors to swap their token from binance chain token to ethereum chain and otherwise from ethereum to the binance.
The main problems are in the developer itself dude.
I agree with you it must be done automatically or create a new platform that will be used as a swapping platform.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
mcnocon2

Activity: 616
Merit: 18

📱CARTESI 📱INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAPPS

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 03:00:04 PM

Its very hard to deal with this token swaps especially when they are transferring to their main net. You must be very active in their group for you to know when will be the swap. But some projects gives a very long time to token holders to swap their token. For at least a year and I think as an investor you should know this things. You must have seen the developments of your projects.

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 03:09:43 PM

If projects want to engage in a token swap, then it has to be done automatically and not manual as not every investor will be aware of the swap announcements because majority of these investors has a ful time work and just monitor the media or telegram channel sometimes or weekly, it's an injustice for them to, or they can extend the swap for a few months.

Doranile432

Activity: 476
Merit: 22

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 03:16:04 PM

What!! wow this is new, who is to be blamed here? the project teams won't dial your phone number to tell you that they are swapping to new blockchain, its your duty and right to always follow all projects channel to avoid missing such opportunities, you invested your hard earned cash and you must not relax on projects to do all thongs for you
Novatech8

Activity: 700
Merit: 27

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 03:20:28 PM

I haven't seen any project that swap token to new blockchain platform without spreading the news to all investors and holders, they will introduce a dead line when you will be able to switch the old tokens to new tokens so if you missed the chance its your damn fault for not staying updated with the project

Avirunes
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 03:26:03 PM

Don't you think they can credit the same amount of token of whatever token swap ratio and credit the address accordingly. I have seen one or two projects doing that which is better than asking investors to do the token swap before deadline.

Just take a snapshot and credit accordingly. Otherwise you are just expecting your investors to lose coina during this event which I find it a bad practice in Altcoins.
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 03:47:00 PM

You are right. Token swaps can kill the value of a coin. A lot of projects did so. Some still have their tokens active on the Ethereum blockchain.
And sometimes they increase the number of tokens to try to attract more investors and to make the tokens value less expensive. (For example the swap of VEN to VET for VeChain)
But that's very bad for token holders as they might lose more money in the short term. And there is no guarantee that the project will become successful in the future.
The announcement of the token swap to all token holders can be very difficult, as not everyone is going to subscribe to the newsletter of the project or is connected to the Telegram channel.
And people should take a lot of time just to read what is happening with all the tokens they are holding. It is a real nightmare to follow each projects.
And the swap can't be done automatically as the holders need a new wallet in the new blockchain.
That's why holding coins on an exchange is more practical, but it is more dangerous in case of a hack or disappearance of the exchange.
Nezerlan (OP)

Activity: 214

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 04:42:20 PM

What!! wow this is new, who is to be blamed here? the project teams won't dial your phone number to tell you that they are swapping to new blockchain, its your duty and right to always follow all projects channel to avoid missing such opportunities, you invested your hard earned cash and you must not relax on projects to do all thongs for you

Haven't you read about several celebrities who had bitcoin when it was cheap and just forgot it in their wallets. Only to find out it had gone up in value in 2017.

If there had been a swap before then, you think they'd be able to sell the unswapped coins after?

RideNodeTM (RIDE) is the First American Ride and Transportation Blockchain and Virtual Currency.
https://ridenode.io/[/cent
princerepon

Activity: 980
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 06:59:12 PM

[-snip-]

Yeah it's totally sad and feels really terrible. This happened on me also and yes i got nothing from it. You are right about every points. Who want to be hold for a long time they don't see news form that project a lot. Even they don't active so much in telegram or other announcement channel. Because they want to sell couple of years later then why they wait for the project's news.

I totally support about auto swap thing. Actually i saw some projects to do that successfully. Investor invest their money for profit. But sometimes the team management down them badly for taking such a stupid step like that.  
terencio

Activity: 742
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 07:05:59 PM

What I really hate about Token swap, when the company has a specific timeline for the token swap. I was away from the crypto and I have no idea that the token I am holding had swapped their token and I have to chase their project team to consider my request and it's given me a lot of stress. I don't support this idea.

forexandcryptoauditor
Copper Member

Activity: 1162

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2019, 07:06:28 PM

You are right. I have also lost my hard earned rewards because of token swap and not keeping myself updated with project.
It was RRC token and few months later I came to know that it was swapped to ERC-20.
But now I learnt the lessons. We have to keep ourselves updated via all means of their social channels, untill we sell the tokens.

disconnectme

Activity: 1876
Merit: 512

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 07:33:01 PM

I don't see how this is killing the idea of holding, I could remember recently I missed swap of one project I was holding their tokens and when I wanted to sell the address on exchange is no longer ERC20 tokens and I proceeded to swap it on the mainnet and everything went well. The main thing is do not lose your private key

█ ▀  ▄
  ▄ █  █▌ 
▄    █
        ███
                  ▀▀▀▀▀██
         ███          ███
      ███     【】     ███
   ███   【】【】   ███
██▀           █  █         ▀██         
█▄          █  █        ▄██
   ███       █  █     ███
      ███   █  ███ 
         ███    █    ███
            ███   ███

.T o o l K i t z A I .Break The Barrier.

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

███████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRY DEMO
███████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

▄▄████
                 ▄▄████████▌
           ▄▄█████████▀███
     ▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀    ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀     ▄███████▌
      ██     ▄█████████
       █   ▄██████████▌
       █   ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌
prehisto

Activity: 882
Merit: 112

Your Data Belongs To You

View Profile
September 23, 2019, 07:40:49 PM

The scenario you described, is very unprofessional from the team.
I know few projects that swap their tokens forever, they dont have timelines.

I suppose that investors also get emails and several alerts afterwards ( reminders)

X L S L A B S ◉◉◉ INTERNET OF TRUST ◉◉◉ X L S L A B S
If you care about your personal data, you need to understand its future.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▮ TelegramTwitterBitcointalk ▮▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: