Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:26:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If mining asteroids becomes commonplace is any element rare enough to be money?  (Read 4210 times)
sudoku

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:44:38 AM

Just think one Asteroid with the diameter one kilometer. Can provide all the world iron production for a year, all the world production for gold and silver  for 10 years. All platinum production for a thousand years. And this only for a small asteroid and there are more than 750k other asteriods with same size other even called dwarf planet.

Such an asteroid striking the earth would be equivalent to 1000 hydrogen bombs. Good luck mining the debris from the impact.

They will not catch bring the asteriod near to earth. I think they will mine on the location and only bring back the ores.

That would be prohibitively expensive in energy and in money.

what you need to do is attach thrusters to the asteroid on one of its closer passes by earth, then while it is making its journey around the solar system and back again you use the thrusters to gently "nudge" it in such a manner that on its next close pass by you can lasso it in earths gravity. then you fracture it into bits with explosives or something and rain those bits down over your giant desert property to be collected by a sand sifting harvester. would this be prohibitively expensive? maybe but also maybe not, all of the gold on planet earth is pretty damn valuable.

Not gonna work, that is very dangerous. Do you want create a meteor shower? When the big chunks reach the ground those will create big craters. Many civilian would die on the process. The chunks would scatter thousands of miles  on the ground and would be very hard to control.

yea i dont think you understand how meteors work. no offense i mean everyone cant know about everything there are a lot of things i dont know much about so please dont take it personally. only very very large meteors actually survive the atmosphere long enough to actually impact the ground. also we obviously arnt talking about sticking the worlds largest nuke at the center of the asteroid and blasting it into a thousand random uncontrolled pieces. we are talking about fracturing it at key points with controlled explosions and then guiding these pieces to the intended destination with means other than explosions.

please dont tell me that something is totally imposable simply for your own lack of imagination. it may be imposable, im not going to argue that it isnt. but please dont pretend that you know that this is the case. neither of us knows for sure one way or the other.

You have a unique idea . I never read anything like that until now.  Hope they don't crash the asteroid near me.  Smiley

No worries. A 6 km diameter asteroid killed the dinosaurs and 75% of species on earth. Humans may survive a 1km asteroid. Remember to duck under your table.  Grin

1SudokuNgdzsYuANDinxUBwKgfyv5cptW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mexxer

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:57:45 PM

lol i saw the idea on one of dan brown's books but not sure about the name. it can supply rare minerals so it might be useful for some people.

Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 01:36:22 AM

Synthetic metal might come first I really don't know what to think about it
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:59:29 AM

Aren't those metals that came from asteriods radioactive?

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:41:08 PM

i wouldn't be too concerned about synthetic atoms myself Cheesy

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 08:31:25 PM

There won't be any difference.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: