Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 05:16:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Congress will not regulate Bitcoin, Bitcoin will regulate Congress  (Read 2612 times)
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:23:57 AM

Hello Friends,

I'd like to present this as a thought exercise. I am by no means advocating for the overthrow of government. I am looking to start a conversation about how to make congress obsolete, hence the title. Congress will not be regulating the blockchain, the blockchain will be regulating congress. We the people need options cultivated if we are to ask for a change. Congress is slow, clunky, wasteful, unrepresentative, and in short soon to be obsolete in its current form. Let me start my argument with a few quotes about social contracts and checks and balances to help define the argument.

The US constitution is a social contract.

http://www.constitution.org/soclcont.htm
The fundamental basis for government and law in this system is the concept of the social contract, according to which human beings begin as individuals in a state of nature, and create a society by establishing a contract whereby they agree to live together in harmony for their mutual benefit, after which they are said to live in a state of society. This contract involves the retaining of certain natural rights, an acceptance of restrictions of certain liberties, the assumption of certain duties, and the pooling of certain powers to be exercised collectively.

The social contract is very simple. It has only two basic terms: (1) mutual defense of rights; and (2) mutual decision by deliberative assembly. There are no agents, no officials, that persist from one deliberative assembly to another. The duties of the social contract are militia. There may be customs that persist from assembly to assembly, such as customs for due notice, parliamentary procedure, judicial due process, and enforcement of court orders by militia. This second term could be called the constitution of society, but it precedes a constitution of government and should not be confused with it.

Checks and Balances

The framers of the U.S. Constitution addressed the problem of avoiding unbalanced or excessive concentrations of power in government by adopting a constitution in which legislative, executive, and judicial powers are largely divided among separate branches, with each having some power to check the abuses of the others. Legislative powers were further divided between two legislative bodies. Some powers were delegated to the central national government, which others were reserved to the component states or the people.

Around the end of the 19th century, however, it became increasingly apparent that excessive and unbalanced concentrations of power in the private sector could subvert the system of checks and balances in government, and the first anti-trust laws were passed to try to provide a check on those undue influences. Unfortunately, such legislation has not been entirely effective, and we now face a situation in which to an intolerable degree the real powers of government are being exercised not by constitutional bodies but by secret cabals based in the private sector but extending throughout government, cabals which are increasingly coherent and increasingly abusive of the rights of the people, including the right to have government be accountable to them and not to a power elite.

The continued constitutional development of this society will therefore require the development of a new, more sophisticated system of checks and balances that extends throughout the private sector as well as the public and does not entirely rely on market forces.

What would the US constitution look like if it was built into a blockchain protocol called votecoin or whatever? IE: Build in a social contract into a blockchain based voting system.

1. Congress is unrepresentative of the people
2. The people can be better represented with blockchain techology
3. Only this small unrepresentative group called congress votes; most in congress don't even read bills let alone vote
4  Any registered voter can vote with votecoin.
5 Congress proposes outlandish bills
6 People can also propose outlandish bills

The blockchain can be a way to leverage contracts. If a law were voted on and violated the protocol, ie: the constitution, it would cease to become part of the blockchain. Add in an open source transparent system for extra checks and balances.

We keep the other two branches of gov as they are for now but update congress to the votecoin constitution protocol. Sorry current group but you're all FIRED!

The blockchain is a way to vote on, store, and leverage contracts; No need for congress 1.0.

The Declaration of Independence states:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.—That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,—That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:13:21 AM

Evil Council Of 13 To Rule the USA SUPER CONGRESS We are slaves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LtyvE5Al8k

why, because you know you wanted a Jones rant.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:26:54 AM

Maybe bitcoin is the universal currency the New World Order has been pushing for?? Jk
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:33:38 AM

Step one.  Replace fiat with bitcoin.

Everything else will fall into place after that.

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:36:18 AM

I'm not interested in your central authority, although I appreciate the effort, OP.

Governments are done, and so is their monopoly-money.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:38:10 AM

I'm not interested in your central authority, although I appreciate the effort, OP.

Please explain what comes next after government.
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:39:37 AM

Step one.  Replace fiat with bitcoin.

Everything else will fall into place after that.

Step 3 profit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:41:04 AM

Maybe bitcoin is the universal currency the New World Order has been pushing for?? Jk

That would be Ixcoin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=317658.0
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:41:17 AM

Liberty and justice for all.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:07:33 AM

I wish for world peace!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo8qbkTAts4

They constructed a board with a nail in it, but they won't stop there. They'll construct bigger boards with bigger nails, and then they'll construct a board with a nail in it so large, it will destroy them all...
-Kodos
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:07:54 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2014, 04:54:05 AM by Bigeyeone

Do you have one example from the entire history of the entire world of a country or region or territory, where there was no central authority ? Does not have to be like government as we understand it today, but there has always been a group of men with weapons that was in charge everywhere.

I figure that if there is a viable alternative to central authority, that by now it would have succeeded somewhere, it has not.

You guys are like we got a new medicine, it will cure the disease, its great, its fantastic it will bring health, ok, has it ever been tried yet ? uhm no, well how you know it works then ? well uhmm, it works im sure it works its fantastic, yeah fantastic indeed.

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
Siegfried

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:01:35 AM

Do you have one example from the entire history of the entire world of a country or region or territory, where there was no central authority ? Does not have to be like government as we understand it today, but there has always been a group of men with weapons that was in charge everywhere.

I figure that if there is a viable alternative to central authority, that by now it would have succeeded somewhere, it has not.

You guys are like we got a new medicine, it will cure the disease, its great, its fantastic it will bring health, ok, has it ever been tried yet ? uhm no, well how you know it works then ? well uhmm, it works im sure it works its fantastic, yeah fantastic indeed.

Human civilization is still in its infancy. Obviously not all alternatives to central authority have been tried yet.
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:47:57 PM

This is an excellent video that describes what the founding fathers were thinking. I highly recommend everyone watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhyKEK-CDg
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:50:11 PM

Human history shows WHY a central authority is a horrible horrible thing.
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:03:03 PM

Human history shows WHY a central authority is a horrible horrible thing.

I'd like to point out that American Indians were prob the closest thing to a decentralized civilization and democracy. However even in their system they still went to war with nearby tribes. Central vs decentralized governing styles both can still lead war.

But lets be real here. We have a centralized authority system. That's prob not going to change with out some solutions. Just stating the obvious doesn't help the argument progress. So you don't like central authority, please describe a decentralized authority.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:26:35 PM

I agree with the intended spirit of the OP's thesis but sadly it got flipped by anarchists playing word games. I'm all for mutual aid societies in the advent of an imminent economic crash yielding federal and local governments incompetent and broke but more than likely we'll have to transition away from the state and Bitcoin will have a nice hand in fostering that move. Also, it's crucial to donate and volunteer for pro-liberty candidates w/ our new found wealth and leisure time as we are going into direct competition against those that we're seeking to de-fang: the interests in the military industrial complex, big pharma, banker gangsters, etc. And, they all heavily donate to incumbent establishment politicians and candidates to further burden us and all the ignorant innocents around us. If we are the visionaries of the future, then we have to take the lead in turning the ship around or bypassing it altogether to make the future brighter for us and those that come our way. We have some really good people in the House and a few good in the Senate, we just need to add to it in the next few election cycles. So to recap, we need to battle the special interests on all fronts including cryptoland, politics, networking and social media.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:31:44 PM

Regulate in congress (in the United States) is translation for:  "how can we squeeze the smaller players out, and suck up as much money from it as possible"
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:32:12 PM

I agree with the intended spirit of the OP's thesis but sadly it got flipped by anarchists playing word games. I'm all for mutual aid societies in the advent of an imminent economic crash yielding federal and local governments incompetent and broke but more than likely we'll have to transition away from the state and Bitcoin will have a nice hand in fostering that move. Also, it's crucial to donate and volunteer for pro-liberty candidates w/ our new found wealth and leisure time as we are going into direct competition against those that we're seeking to de-fang: the interests in the military industrial complex, big pharma, banker gangsters, etc. And, they all heavily donate to incumbent establishment politicians and candidates to further burden us and all the ignorant innocents around us. If we are the visionaries of the future, then we have to take the lead in turning the ship around or bypassing it altogether to make the future brighter for us and those that come our way. We have some really good people in the House and a few good in the Senate, we just need to add to it in the next few election cycles. So to recap, we need to battle the special interests on all fronts including cryptoland, politics, networking and social media.

Chef Ramsey, when is the next season of Masterchef? lol
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:45:31 PM

So far most of the arguments have been along the lines of centralized governments suck but there have been no real alternatives proposed. Our history of civilization has produced such centralized models as tribal (with a leader),  shoguns, emperors, kings, dictators. The original American colonists attempted to create a decentralized hybrid gov. Instead of this one leader with all the power they realized the inevitable truth of the human nature and how easy it is to become corrupt and how hard it is to fight against a corrupt leader so they attempted to split up the power. We all know how that has gone, cause now we have drones.

The one suggestion that hasn't been put forth in this thread is a voluntary form of government. And the only example of this type of leadership I can think of is the rainbow family of living light.

"Some say we're the largest non-organization of non-members in the world. We have no leaders, and no organization. To be honest, the Rainbow Family means different things to different people. I think it's safe to say we're into intentional community building, non-violence, and alternative lifestyles. We also believe that Peace and Love are a great thing, and there isn't enough of that in this world. Many of our traditions are based on Native American traditions, and we have a strong orientation to take care of the the Earth. We gather in the National Forests yearly to pray for peace on this planet."

http://welcomehome.org/

When the earth is ravaged and the animals are dying, a new tribe of people shall come unto the earth from many colors, classes, creeds, and who by their actions and deeds shall make the earth green again. They will be known as the warriors of the Rainbow -- Old Native American Prophecy

So this system of voluntary government exists mostly during a temporary village that is setup for a designated time and place gathering. As was stated, there are no leaders or members, this is a voluntary system. These non-member participants often use words like Babylon, though unfortunately they are still stuck using things like roads and cars and modern food and camping gear, etc as they have to occasionaly step back into the modern world. To get things done in this system, participants meet at what is called "main circle". There might be some hand holding and some OMing. Food from group kitchen camps is passed freely about. And those who have something to say, step into the circle and speak their peace. It might be something like, we need people to dig shitters, or people need to be aware of this or that, or other decisions. Those that wish to participate are free to do so as are people that don't wish to participate.

Some interesting trivia is the rainbow family has been going strong since the 70's
JohnnyBTCSeed (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:00:03 PM

But in all of this I digress.

My original argument was to not come up with ways to replace government with Utopian society but to merely start to tweak the current shitty voting system and  in doing so make the group called the US congress obsolete. Alot of the replies to this argument have been along the lines of why bother cause centralized systems suck.

For those that have forgotten or don't know. The founding fathers recognized the inevitable conclusion of what happens under centralized leadership; in short, tyranny. So they decided to split this power between the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of government. The legislative branch makes the laws, the judicial interprets the laws, and the executive enforces the laws.

In my example from the OP, I ONLY suggest replacing the legislative branch. If congress (a part of the legislative branch) is no longer representative of the US population then why not replace them with a system that is representative of the people. Also, in my example, we leave the other two parts of gov alone for now.

Now I propose not only using a blockchain system for voting, but using it as a means to leverage contracts. I also put forth the proposition that the constitution of the US government is a social contract. So in my layman's terms I also proposed combining a blockchain technology with a social contract and voting.

Now discuss.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: