Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:05:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Governmental Ban on Crypto Open Source  (Read 120 times)
carap (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 07:30:07 AM
Last edit: October 05, 2019, 11:29:46 AM by carap
Merited by coupable (1)

Dear Crypto-community!

All written below is important, since our freedom is under attack! Consider it as a warning.
Many things have changed since Bitcoin Whitepaper published. Despite anonymity respect in Mr.Nakamoto times, now Cryptocurrency Exchanges ask us to provide all the information about our personality (photocopies of our IDs, selfies). Providing such personal data, we risk having our data leaked to public as result of hackers’ attacks, bad management, etc. Moreover, we all know that Cryptocurrency Exchanges forced to build KYC system on their platforms due to operating under Regulators’ pressure.

Now, the Regulators went totally nuts - they wish to ban all the OpenSource development related to cryptoccurrencies. And I think cryptography itself, probably, will be the next target.

You might think I'm writing BS, but have a look at this document - www.fca.org.uk/publication/policy/ps19-22.pdf (page 18 (p 2.38)).
Now only the Coin Center has responded to the situation – please, type "coincenter submitted comments to her majesty s treasury defending uk citizens right to develop and publish open source software" in google request field to know more.

I think it is time for everyone to be aware of that. I think it is time to react.

We must be more active. We must come up with a number of statements regarding OpenSource, crypto and privacy, and publish them on change.org. We must spread this thing among all our friends, colleagues, schoolmates, etc. We must ask them for support, because our problem someday will be their problem too. We must reach any support we could.

I am sure that some of you have better ideas. Feel free to share them. At least, please re-post this information further, so more people will be aware of the situation.

Kind regards,
Another guy from crypto-universe.

Trading robots - wrong assumptions made by beginners - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1722689 - share your practical experiences!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
carap (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 11:32:12 AM

Their (regulators) latest creation is not even related to scammers, now it's about a total control over the field.

Think of it, they wish to prevent us from sharing our creations, from publishing our code!

Trading robots - wrong assumptions made by beginners - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1722689 - share your practical experiences!
carap (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 11:41:00 AM

little update - https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/06/eff-and-open-rights-group-defend-right-publish-open-source-software-uk-government

EFF and Open Rights Group today submitted formal comments to the British Treasury, urging restraint in applying anti-money-laundering regulations to the publication of open-source software.

Full comments can be found in this document - https://www.eff.org/files/2019/06/10/eff_and_org_comments_to_hm_treasury_on_5mld.pdf

poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 12:40:50 PM

I'm talking about this for some time now. It was always obvious to me that there is no regulation that can benefit crypto.
Quite the opposite. The only way is the unrestricted way, whatever the area of interest is.
They just have to keep their filthy, royal, demoralised-whatever, hands of our lives! OR... yeah, things will go bad for them.
No joke, they will regret all this introduction of the "clown world". In the mean time we just have to express our dissatisfaction.
Protest and oppose, they have no power here, we do, the people.     

carap (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 12:49:01 PM

Protest and oppose
And how do you think we may do so in the most civilized way?

The only way I might think of is a set of public petitions "keep your hands away from":
1. Any open source
2. Cryptography
3. True-privacy coins
4. Decentralized exchanges

And yes, 3 and 4 are probably lost already.
1 is current, 2 is potentially the next subject.

poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 01:11:02 PM

And how do you think we may do so in the most civilized way?
Yes, basically. Petitions and physical protests, strikes on the streets.
Also scientific community must be activated cuz it also means serious harm to the development of science.
Probably the most important aspect, petitions should be directed at benevolent but indifferent scientists.
They have to realise that it is time to take a stance, because actual humanity is at stake.
Big corps. are plotting with the governments, people of good will should start doing the same but with each other.

carap (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 01:30:53 PM

Well, I don't think physical protests and strikes are good idea. They go out of control pretty quickly, there are a lot of various types of damages and people hurt.

We are representatives of an intelligent society and need to act accordingly, but effectively.
I like the actual response from EEF, it is correct and smart. Good example.

IMO the root of the problem is in that majority of people is simply unaware of these regulations and to what they may lead. Some people just don't care. Some wrongfully assume that they have nothing to hide, but it's not about hiding, it's about not showing everything to everyone.

And I think, the best step to begin is to make people aware of what's happening. Let them speculate whenever those regulations and limitations do really make lives better to majority or were solely introduced to profit powerfull few ones...

coupable

Activity: 2338
Merit: 757

View Profile
October 05, 2019, 05:45:20 PM

I didn't yet check the links you provided but i can confirm that you have reason in all what you said. Few days ago i was surprised by cryptobridge decentralized exchange to force KYC for all new and old users, without a precedent warning!! All the funds are blocked!! This is terrible (check my post history for references). Then just yesterday i realised that the famous IDEX also set a procedure of  verification for all users since more than a month, where there is two levels of verification depended on your daily withdrawal activity.
There might be more KYC enforcement applied for other decentralized Apps.
For now, IMO , it is important to rise the warning flag and let know more open-source activists from all fields.
I will share the info in my local board as i would really like to read more coments here before share.
Thanks OP for sharing your thoughts here, i wish a had more smerits to give.
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2019, 09:53:06 PM

This would be like banning freedom of speech, and it wouldn't go very well... Forcing open source to go underground? Be my guest, they couldn't even get rid of The Pirate Bay, imagine making enemies of the whole FOSS community...

Some State institutions (including your always favorite 3 letter agency) have developed and supported their own FOSS projects, sharing them as they should. Crypto is a community based on transparency, no algorithm sufficiently reviewed and challenged openly can be considered secure, therefore this would be the same as banning security from the country. Ie. You can't have secure crypto algorithms without widespread peer review, so it would deny themselves the technology.

I seriously doubt this is real though.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: [1]